Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

CHEMS

Scholar
Just bought Locus of Control. Now things are gonna get spicy

Sheepherder

Augur
Ok, here's a question:

Can Hoddurform help you proc Ambush which you otherwise wouldn't be able to proc?
Yes, it lowers your light level by 1 or 2, so you can Ambush from slightly brighter tiles. Also helps with stealth a little.

CHEMS

Scholar
Stole a jet and i'm sneaking around Aegis beach waiting the invasion to end. Does the serpentine sorcerer spawn in this fight? I'm hoping to get a spirit staff without even having to fight.

Sheepherder

Augur
Stole a jet and i'm sneaking around Aegis beach waiting the invasion to end. Does the serpentine sorcerer spawn in this fight? I'm hoping to get a spirit staff without even having to fight.
Nope, only staff-spears.

CHEMS

Scholar
Aww shit. Pretty sure i remember they spawning on the beach on dominating. I think it's only after the first invasion.

Seems like i'm gonna have to do this the fun way.

Yaz

Learned
The Boneyard could be a reasonably safe place to get one.

Yes, it lowers your light level by 1 or 2, so you can Ambush from slightly brighter tiles. Also helps with stealth a little.

Pretty neat, actually. I can't quite remember - you were also getting the light reduction by having it off-hand, correct?

CHEMS

Scholar
Casting Bilocation after a LoC in a group of 10 natives trying to hit me in my jet

200px-Feels_good_man.jpg

Why didn't i play TC builds before? Man this is satisfying

Ghulgothas

Arcane
LoC with bilocation is really funny in tight corridors. It's hard to tell whose doppelganger is whose when the puny 3x9 tile passageway is choked with the things.

Yaz

Learned
Anyone encountered AI Testing Facility to the side of Newton's Warehouse? Damn, this game still shows something new every time

Yep. Don't bother with Blaze, you need one of the other ones to get the loot.

Yaz

Learned
Probably not; it's just that Blaze isn't necessary to loot what you need to loot outside of Hacking and Lockpicking.

CHEMS

Scholar
Man why did they make the Drag n Drop a random location? I think it didn't spawn on this playthrough. Gonna search for it again if i don't find it i'm exporting the character and starting all over

Parabalus

Arcane
Man why did they make the Drag n Drop a random location? I think it didn't spawn on this playthrough. Gonna search for it again if i don't find it i'm exporting the character and starting all over

Any way to check your save whether it spawned? I know people have edited quest states so it should just be a matter of finding it there.

All-in and these actually game changing random locations are bad additions, the early game random dungeons are fine.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
I don't have much experience with stealth in this game, never really used it, so I have a question for you stealth experts. What effective level of stealth do I need to sneak effectively on hard?

I'm planning on putting 80 points into stealth my AGI 3 character for an effective score of 71 stealth. I'm hoping that combined with some high quality black cloth tabis, tac vest w/ black cloth coat (although this is a psi build, so I want a psi vest, so that means at least a 30% armor penalty. Should I make a cave hopper leather for stealthing?), and a cloaking device I'll be able to sneak somewhat effectively.

Is it even worth investing into stealth with 3 AGI?

Here's the build so far https://underrail.info/build/?HgUKA...qZGdLIcKMXBLCh8K3FsKN4p2NA-KfhAHip74K4qyXAd-_

Parabalus

Arcane
I don't have much experience with stealth in this game, never really used it, so I have a question for you stealth experts. What effective level of stealth do I need to sneak effectively on hard?

I'm planning on putting 80 points into stealth my AGI 3 character for an effective score of 71 stealth. I'm hoping that combined with some high quality black cloth tabis, tac vest w/ black cloth coat (although this is a psi build, so I want a psi vest, so that means at least a 30% armor penalty. Should I make a cave hopper leather for stealthing?), and a cloaking device I'll be able to sneak somewhat effectively.

Is it even worth investing into stealth with 3 AGI?

Here's the build so far https://underrail.info/build/?HgUKA...qZGdLIcKMXBLCh8K3FsKN4p2NA-KfhAHip74K4qyXAd-_

You'll do fine. If just sneaking past something no reason not to swap the main armor like you suggest.

Tigranes

Arcane
I thought you were some sort of underail expert? How hard is the game (even on dom) when you can be lvl 20 before going to core city? Played a shotgun on hard/classic and was lvl 20 after doing hathor/railcrossing/foundry. On Dom you'd be even higher.

Game got so easy I had to restart.
I overlevel a lot before Depot A - usually I hit it at level 12, to be higher means to actually grind and I don't grind - just explore and use all opportunities for combat. I gain a level or two there and shortly afterwards: this means lvls 14-15, and this is not much higher than people around can scrounge with oddities.
Then it's the usual business. In my gun builds I do quests and kill people rushing for lvl 20 to finish speccing disassemble and live like a white man should. I'm reaching institute at levels 25-27, and go down with 29 or already at 30 (including Expedition).

I hit level cap not long before going down, actually, so often XP scale is still filling when I'm in DC. This makes perfect sense - DC is full of respawning mobs, if you're not lvl 30 on Classic you shortly will be anyway. Expedition usually gives several levels easily - indeed it does, with its hordes of natives and robots. Without it I will be going down at levels 25-26. XP slows down a lot at the last five or so levels.

Also, I don't play well optimized builds. PER based energy pistols (when people reccomend DEX+INT combo), makeshift post-nerf full PSI and now 6 DEX SMG build.

But yeah, I can try Oddity at least for once. I know where to look for them, lol.

For the reference, right now I'm lvl22: did everything in the South, Rail Crossing, Hathor and most of the Core city - didn't touch Foundry, Protectorate and Oligarch quests, and left two Oculus quests. This means - Institute at lvl 24-26, as usual.

Interesting how big a difference this makes. I tend to have a "don't go out of my way to look for XP" approach, which of course helps avoid overlevelling when most RPGs are criminally easy. In Underrail (Hard Oddity) it means I'm hitting Depot A something like level 6-8. A single level makes a colossal difference at that stage in UR, since that's when you're still picking up indispensable aspects of your build one by one. So often I'm playing a half-built prototype and through the course of Depot A, if they survive, the character emerges something coherent.

I suppose you mean that you're exploring every map square possible before doing Depot A? And I think this would give you more XP on Classic than Oddity, no? When we're talking about such big differences it completely changes the sense of what makes a fun build or what parts are more difficult. E.g. I tend not to do builds where your signature move only comes around level 16 or 20, because by that point most of pre-DLC game is over for me.

Parabalus

Arcane

Pretty neat, actually. I can't quite remember - you were also getting the light reduction by having it off-hand, correct?

never knew about it! just tested and indeed it is the case.

Im slightly ashamed of myself that Im entering DC with lift belt to carry all the junk that I might need...

Don't forget your infused pig leather boots!

Yaz

Learned
If you're not going down to DC with 600 W2C Bullets and 30 repair kits you're doing it wrong. ;)

Yaz

Learned
Ugh... haven't done Persuasion character in ages.

Getting the Juice early is extremely nice, but I have a vague memory that negotiating Holloway's return nets you 600 blues instead of 300. Must have changed at some point, no?

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
So often I'm playing a half-built prototype and through the course of Depot A, if they survive, the character emerges something coherent.
How do you proceed through Depot A? Fair fight or trap-molotovs death zones?
I suppose you mean that you're exploring every map square possible before doing Depot
I don't farm animals, I find it quite boring, and pre-Depot A animals are one of the main sources of XP. The same reason I rarely indulge in Biology crafting, the process to collect all the required organs is excruciating.

Anyway, for a change, I started Odditiy versatility-pistols, and I quite sure that I can reach some good levels even with oddities, although it requires a lot more time and actual farming. I post some impressions later.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom