Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GreedFall - Gold Edition - new colonial-themed action-RPG from Spiders

Vorark

Erudite
The article was updated:

Update 11/30/20 at 11:40 a.m.: Spiders parent company Nacon has confirmed that the new content, which is officially noted as an expansion, will be available as downloadable content for existing versions of GreedFall. While the GreedFall brand is also now “integrated as part of the Nacon portfolio,” Focus Home Interactive will helm the publishing of the expansion and new versions.

edit - linked the wrong page.

Last edited:

SoupNazi

I got this from the gamepass thingy from Microsoft (so far proving to be good value). I was curious about this before, think it was promoted on Steam, but I saw the reception here and figured it wasn't worth the eurobucks they were asking for it. But for the rent-fee on gamepass I figured I might as well give it a try since I'm done with all the other games I wanted to play this year, it seems.

I'm very early into it, but got hooked pretty quickly (played for about 5 hours straight yesterday). The majority of the criticism raised against it is 100 percent accurate (shitloads of backtracking, lack of enemy variety), it's no GOTY, but it's not terrible. Personally, I find the combat enjoyable (going with a combo of light swords and pistol), the animations are very well done and the game just looks very good, especially in motion. But mostly I just enjoy the pretty novel concept - it's a nice change that almost everyone in the game respects you, and it's not the typical rags-to-riches story. I like going around as a diplomat solving people's disputes, often in non-violent ways, and the occasional combat has so far been rare and just a nice break or a way to pad out the travel with something fun. There seems to be a decent amount of C&C and some quests can be solved in different ways - there's the usual fight/sneak, but most times there's also a diplomatic option and I've had a few quests that can also be solved via alchemy. Plus, you can don armor of the factions to gain access to areas you normally wouldn't be able to go to and solve quests that way too, which is neat.

Some of the C&C and things like bringing different companions to different NPCs result in nothing but some flavor text, but that's fine as I didn't expect much from the game, so it was a positive surprise when a companion warned me I probably shouldn't bring them to meeting X, and then they indeed made the diplomacy more difficult, even though it didn't result in the quest failing or anything like that. I like the armor design, hope there's more than what I've seen so far. The itemization seems pretty varied, although I hoped a "legendary" item would be a little bit more specific than just having a different colour in the inventory.

From what I've read about the game though, I suppose it moves away from these fun diplomatic quests into saving the world. Which I don't mind as a topic, but hope the gameplay doesn't devolve into 24/7 combat or something.

Also, the voice acting is absolutely terrible most of the time, but it's pretty well written. Graphics are good and the environment in general, along with atmosphere, is pretty unique, thanks to the setting. Music is forgettable and annoying in places, the loop is too short and when you're questing about in a town it gets repetitive extremely quickly. Invisible walls are annoying and badly made but I expected that coming in.

All in all, if you've got nothing else to play or you're tired of the same old and can forgive a few flaws, getting it for free or cheap, it seems like a fine time killer. We'll see how it goes at the later stages of the game, but first impressions are positive.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm considering buying this. Is the story anything more than a watered down retelling of "Avatar"? What of the C&C?

SoupNazi

I'm considering buying this. Is the story anything more than a watered down retelling of "Avatar"? What of the C&C?
I wouldn't recommend buying it anywhere near full price. If you can, get the 1 month free trial of Xbox Gamepass, or sign up for a month (it's like 10 bucks?). Or simply not remove it from inventory and see for yourself first.

I'm having a good time still, but I can see it slowly deteriorating towards the mundane. But I also have nothing else to do and stuck in quarantine so your mileage may vary.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
The last leg of my recent Spiders marathon.

Again, an improvement over their previous games altho not nearly as dramatic as going from Mars to Technomancer. Full completionist run on Extreme finished in 41 hours. To be honest I prefer their SF setting, 17th century vibe and the ridiculous faggoty musketeer fashion isn't exactly my jam but it was still a joy to play a game that doesn't treat me like a 10 year old child. There's a lot of politics, ambition, love, hate, complex relationships...all the stuff adults like (or should). Too bad that the very ending still involves the "big bad wizard wants to take over the world" cliche, it'd be way better if you could join a faction and go with their agenda instead. Say you join Theleme and convert the islanders to your grorious faith, whether they want it or not. Or you join the Arabs, intern the islanders in reservations and turn the island into actual Kwanzania. Oh well.

An addendum to the story part - there's a slight whiff of woke but it's mostly reserved to stronk wombyn feminism where half of the various armies consist of brave female warriors and women being generally equal in positions of power with men. Other than that the frenchie wokeness is a bit weird. It's immediately obvious it's not a Kwan game. For example the cultural/racial roles are reversed - the Arabs are the anti-religion, scientific faction and the natives are mostly white people running around in straw skirts and blackfaces. There's also absolutely no reference to muh raycism/oppreshun in the racial sense and NPCs being black or white is a wholly cosmetic thing. That would be totally inconceivable in a modern Kwan game. It's funny to observe the little differences between froggy proggies and standard American SJWs.

The combat is another win for Technomancer. I feel Spiders fucked up the poise system in Greedfall since p. much any attack from any mob knocks you down. In some fights your char is like a rag doll being thrown here and there every few seconds, even in Endurance 3 armor and with a Balance potion. While most mobs are very hard to stun even with big two-handers. Maybe it's just a problem on Extreme but this idiotic mechanics was seriously fraying my nerves. Combined with two more annoying facts - your companions usually going down in the first 10 seconds of most battles plus some mobs attacking way too fast - the result is you p. much either have to mash the parry button like a retard or run in circles and occasionally getting in a pistol shot or two. Not exactly a riveting playstyle. It's just a frantic, spammy mess. Technomancer combat is way more balanced and tactical.

The only exception are boss fights. Those are mostly great, almost Souls-like. There are one or two bullshit attacks here and there but it's fun, for the most part. Also the game remained challenging until the end which is a very rare achievement. Btw the economy never broke either, another super rare thing to see. For the entire playthrough I was hovering between 2k-3k gold, even tho I found, sold and completled almost everything.

Itemization is probably the biggest improvement. In Technomancer 95% of chests contain literal garbage that can be used for crafting. In Greedfall loot is much closer to normal, with chests containing all sorts of things, including gear, gold or ingredients. Incredibly, Spiders actually understand that easily accessible chests should contain less valuable loot than chests with lvl3 lock or hidden behind hard monsters (altho they do mess up here and there), a basic concept that most developers somehow still can't grasp.

All in all, a solid RPG. Still, for their next game Spiders should seriously think about moving into more modern times. Some of their concepts are stuck in the past - NPCs just stand around with exclamation marks over their heads, the dialogues are a bit stilted, wordy and hollow and I found skipping over most of them, there's this annoying door opening mechanics still lingering from Mars: War Logs and Technomancer and there's an awful lot of quests consisting of running back and forth between two places like a retard. The worst example - my fuckmate wants to bury her mother and I gotta go with her to this sacred cave. It's a trek and when we arrive she suddenly remembers she needs some incense sticks and can I please run back to the village to fetch them? Bitch you didn't know that before we set off?

Also the setting of Spiders' next game is supposed to be this weird robot musketeer punk or some such and I'm already sceptical. But they are still on my cool kids list.

Last edited:

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Still, for their next game Spiders should seriously think about moving into more modern times.

3k7LczE.jpg

Zeriel

Arcane
Last game I really enjoyed from them was the demon one. Gotta admit I'd love to see another fantasy era game from them. Mars as a setting in theory sounded really fun but in practice Technomancer really did nothing for me, and same for Greedfall only worse.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I thought I remember a 2-hander build that makes you immune/resistant to knockdown.

In any case, 2-hander plus the cleaving perk makes all combat trivial. Spin to win essentially.
I don't know what game you played but there are no perks in Greedfall, nothing makes you immune to knockdowns and spin to win isn't a thing since most monsters are nigh impossible to stun so your spinning would be cut very short very soon.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
I don't know what game you played but there are no perks in Greedfall,

Okay mr. pedantic. Perks skill points whatever. You put points in the character sheet and get bonuses = perks.

Magic rings trivialize combat

I think the combat is just trivial in general. The only thing I remember having remotely any difficulty with was that very first prologue boss, before you have any chance to level up or get any gear.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
I don't know if I can keep at this game. I liked The Technomancer well enough, but with these KOTOR knockoffs it's all about art design and music to give the setting some proper atmosphere. The problem is that after leaving Serene the mood ain't makin' it. Serene not only used cloudy, wet bong-weather to set the tone, but also used a Baroque harpsichord and choir to drive the mood home. After getting to Free Trade the weather got boring and the music got Hollywood, and if you're going to liberally abuse a modern timbre palette at the very least the melodies, harmonies, and cadences should have a whisper of a I-V-I or a i-V-i. At least the palace had nice horns.

I freely admit that music can make or break a game for me, and your mileage may vary. Maybe it gets better later, but I don't know if I'm willing to find out.

And during every combat encounter I find myself ranting about meaty, hairy box and how this dick ain't gonna suck itself. I wonder why that is?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/606880/view/2956032344131926660

GreedFall Gold Edition is coming on June 30, with a brand new DLC!
Oh it's you on ol menawi!

Haven’t you heard? Rumor in Serene Harbour says that a ship for Teer Fradee is arriving soon... There’s written “Gold" on it.

That's right! GreedFall: Gold Edition is coming to PC on June 30, with an exclusive DLC: The De Vespe Conspiracy.

016c2220b849da439d9a4569df345b165cf111d6.jpg

GreedFall: Gold Edition

For those who are not familiar with the world of GreedFall, you arrive on a new world and forge its destiny, as you befriend or betray companions and entire factions. Engage in a free-form core RPG experience, completing quests and objectives as you become part of a living, evolving world!

The De Vespe Conspiracy

The De Vespe Conspiracy will bring you a brand new adventure within the uncharted lands of Teer Fradee, with new enemies, gear, and a twisting narrative that expands the base game story. Navigate a web of lies, manipulation and secrets, as you unravel a nefarious conspiracy that threatens the balance of power. Explore an uncharted region of the island, battle strange new beasts, upgrade your equipment with new gear and face off against a villainous new enemy faction in your hunt to uncover the truth.

Get a sneak peek at what is awaiting you with these exclusive screenshots!

c571cacad15a6420f8d52ae7a4d373859117b4a1.jpg

ec64a7417cc2acf4e3e71a573f02e7f5d3eeb878.jpg

b48568d29bb3ae9cda7cf0b277359a51f20cbd61.jpg

See you soon on Teer Fradee!

Antigoon

Augur
Well fuck me in the ass,I just recently started playing this,I hope the new dlc will be available for everyone else and not just bundled in the gold edition and that we will get the HD hraphics too
DLC will be available separately, devs confirmed on Steam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom