Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Jason Liang

Arcane
I don't have much experience with stealth in this game, never really used it, so I have a question for you stealth experts. What effective level of stealth do I need to sneak effectively on hard?

I'm planning on putting 80 points into stealth my AGI 3 character for an effective score of 71 stealth. I'm hoping that combined with some high quality black cloth tabis, tac vest w/ black cloth coat (although this is a psi build, so I want a psi vest, so that means at least a 30% armor penalty. Should I make a cave hopper leather for stealthing?), and a cloaking device I'll be able to sneak somewhat effectively.

Is it even worth investing into stealth with 3 AGI?

Here's the build so far https://underrail.info/build/?HgUKA...qZGdLIcKMXBLCh8K3FsKN4p2NA-KfhAHip74K4qyXAd-_
The way skills work in this game, even if your base agility is 3, if you put a lot of points into stealth, then you'll gain a lot of stealth from agility bonuses like Cave Hopper leather or Tabis. This makes agility a safe dump stat since it's one of the easier stats to raise with gear or consumables. Even with 3 agility, it's fairly simple to get to 5-6 agility for parts where stealthing is useful. For example, I had no problems stealthing to get the drill parts.

80 is certainly more than enough for stealthing purposes; I had no problems with 3 agility, 40 stealth on DOMINATING, although I had to avoid LoS the greater coil spiders when stealthing.

Cloaking Device is a little overrated since it has such a short duration, and once you get to midgame stealthing is more QoL than a necessity, since you are OP in combat. For your build, once you get Enrage and Mental Breakdown combat is a joke.

Last edited:

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
wherever i go, darkness follows

btw I missed the memo about faceless. Didn't know you cant save that electronic merchant if you want to be better than neutral with them
Requires persuasion or completion of Foundry Faceless quest.

Lol, in my energy run I didn't have any persuasion and didn't want Buzzer to be killed or to upset the Faceless; so I set this business aside until I killed Balor and solved the Faceless problem in Foundry. Before you scream "metagame!", my first char just had enough persuasion and didn't have to go through the loops.

CHEMS

Scholar
Drag n Drop didn't spawn in my current playthrough so i murdered everyone in SGS, took all the loot and exported my character into a new game.

Devilish_dfec03_6238404.jpg

Tigranes

Arcane
So often I'm playing a half-built prototype and through the course of Depot A, if they survive, the character emerges something coherent.
How do you proceed through Depot A? Fair fight or trap-molotovs death zones?
I suppose you mean that you're exploring every map square possible before doing Depot
I don't farm animals, I find it quite boring, and pre-Depot A animals are one of the main sources of XP. The same reason I rarely indulge in Biology crafting, the process to collect all the required organs is excruciating.

Anyway, for a change, I started Odditiy versatility-pistols, and I quite sure that I can reach some good levels even with oddities, although it requires a lot more time and actual farming. I post some impressions later.

Of course, I've done the "bring 50 traps/molotovs, because I die in one god damned hit" Depot A runs, and they are quite enjoyable a couple of times - but you don't really want to do that all the time. On Hard, with a well thought out build, I've found that many characters can tackle Depot A more or less "legitimately" by level 7-8. I do enjoy the degree to which it's a harrowing experience, where depending on your bulid, certain types of enemies/encounters become impossible lava pits that you have to try to loop around. Instead of choosing your entry point to the goal you're trying to figure out one or two paths that you can actually survive.

I simply never 'farm' anything, I carry back only the loot I can carry once, and I generally go ahead with what I've got. That way, I find that Hard remains an enjoyable challenge, especially if you don't super minmax the build. With Dominating, I assume some of that would need to change, which is OK too.

Yaz

Learned
Try to experiment more with various types of armour. Some encounters will become significantly easier with a proper set equipped.

Tigranes

Arcane
Me? I mean, if you want me to just build a char where I can go in and blast Depot A without trouble, then sure, I can do that, especially after a dozen playthroughs. That's simple enough. Just like there are clear ways to shred Carnifex without taking a hit with the right prep, or never letting any enemy in Lunatic Mall lift a finger. And normally I'd have bumped up to Dominating a long time ago and raised the bar on efficiency. For whatever reason I've so far enjoyed going another direction and seeing how many different kinds of builds I can try, and how hotspots like Depot A or Lunatic Mall feel at different levels and character types. It might finally be time to go Dom, though.

CHEMS

Scholar
Sneaky is always fun. It's like on Deus Ex: crossbow, stealth, hacking and lockpicking. The problem is that Underrail will force you into combat in order to advance the plot.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Me? I mean, if you want me to just build a char where I can go in and blast Depot A without trouble, then sure, I can do that, especially after a dozen playthroughs. That's simple enough. Just like there are clear ways to shred Carnifex without taking a hit with the right prep, or never letting any enemy in Lunatic Mall lift a finger. And normally I'd have bumped up to Dominating a long time ago and raised the bar on efficiency. For whatever reason I've so far enjoyed going another direction and seeing how many different kinds of builds I can try, and how hotspots like Depot A or Lunatic Mall feel at different levels and character types. It might finally be time to go Dom, though.
Instead of playing this game with shitty builds (which I guess is a form of self-gimping), try to play through with a low level character (say 12 max).

Tigranes

Arcane
Instead of playing this game with shitty builds (which I guess is a form of self-gimping), try to play through with a low level character (say 12 max).

Jason: "LOL i vacuumed oddities and speed-levelled to 16 right after depot A you NOOBS"

Also Jason: "The way you play SUX why don't you play low level characters"

I don't gimp my builds as some kind of house rule, I just liked exploring different build options for a while. But actually, I enjoy low/mid-level UR far more than late game; I feel like every character is essentially done by lv14ish (at least pre-DLC). So most of my play time is indeed spent at that range.

Trashos

Arcane
The oddities distribution is not that bad. Overlevelling to the point mentioned here tells me that some of you guys are probably doing tougher parts earlier. Doesn't that beat the purpose of overlevelling?

I get to Depot A late lvl7 or early lvl8, I do not remember. I do not think it is possible to go higher than that unless you do parts that are tougher than Depot A. Then, when the game opens up, I walk around the cities and some adjacent regions and gather the easy oddities. I go there anyway for the merchants, so it is kinda natural. That gets me to lvl12 iirc. Again, it is possible to go higher, but it is much more comfortable to go get the rathound regalia first, for example, so that I do not have to be fighting rats all the time.

I mean, sure, you can do whatever the hell you like. But given that the cities main quests come with important perks (regalia, access to furnace, access to merchants), I think that the oddities distribution mostly works.

Then again, there are builds that come online late, so those builds may have an interest to level up as fast as possible. I get that. It is pretty impressive how UR can serve those builds. But that's a good thing, not bad.

CHEMS

Scholar
If you do everything that can be done before Depot A, you can easily achieve level 10 before even entering it. If it you weren't supposed to do that, it would not be possible. There are strong mobs before you clear the tunnel, groups of lunatics too. You get to kill them if you're clever. Easily 600xp per lunatic.

Trashos

Arcane
For stealth builds at least (I haven't played anything without stealth), Depot A is not that hard. I consider the lunatics to be harder. Generally, I do not see the point in doing any lunatics, burrowers, crawlers etc early.

But I was talking about the Oddities system, not classic XP.

CHEMS

Scholar
Depot is not hard if you know what you're doing. For first time players it will be hard. But yes, high lockpick + hacking + stealth trivialises Depot A. You won't even need combat.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
On Hard, with a well thought out build, I've found that many characters can tackle Depot A more or less "legitimately" by level 7-8.

Without grinding for oddities, on Dominating I always reach Depot A around lvl 8 and I'm level 10 when I'm done with it. I never played with classic XP.

Last edited:

Yaz

Learned
I haven't played a build without Pack Rathound literally in years. I have no idea how you people manage without it :D. That's called being Featsist, I guess.

Practical Physicist doesn't seem like it provides a lot of value. Another 25 % additive to your 500% is not that much. The rest is down to personal preference, I guess, but personally I'd swap Hacking/Lockpicking in favour of more crafting in a heartbeat. Pickpocketing seems just a tiny bit overinvested into. There's a food that gives a bonus in case one wants to steal Cpt. Grim stuff.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
deterministic system > RNG

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom