Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Outer Worlds: Spacer's Choice Edition - Obsidian's first-person sci-fi RPG set in a corporate space colony

Yosharian

Arcane
Well I guess you'll have to take my word for it.

This is my build:

Attributes:
- Strength: /
- Dexterity: /
- Intelligence: +++
- Perception: +++
- Charm: -
- Temperament: /

Skills:
- Long Guns 100
- Sneak 150
- Engineering 60
- Dodge 20
- Science 100

Equipment:
- Head: Cell Stability Mono-Lens (The Man in High Orbit Main Quest - Offer Receptionist Kelly a lift to the Groundbreaker)
- Armor: Riot Control Armor [Anodized, Chrono, Tech, Nightingale]
- Weapon1: Sublight Sniper (Lyranna, Fallbrook) [Plasma, Funtimes, Exact-o]
- Weapon2: Plasma Rifle 2.0 (Byzantium) [Mag-Num, Whisper, Exact-o]
- Weapon3: Hunting Rifle Ultra [Plasma, Funtimes, Exact-o]
- Weapon4: LAR Mk 2 [Plasma, Speedymate, Exact-o]

Flaws (5):
- Physical Damage Weakness (get hit in melee by any melee enemy)
- Cynophobia (get hit by canids on Terra 2)
- Farsighted (get blinded by Mantiswarms in Monarch while carrying melee weapon)
- Acrophobia (take fall damage)
- Corrosive Weakness (get hit by acid attacks)

Perks (20):
Tier 1:
- Lone Wolf
- Toughness
- High Maintenance
- Pack Mule
- Nietzsche's Reward
- Slow The World
- Quick and the Dead
- Cheetah

Tier 2:
- Lone Master
- Weird Science
-Scanner
- The Reaper
- Harvester
- Assassin

Tier 3:
- Super Pack Mule
- Confidence
- Wild Science
- Armor Master
- Solo Sneaker
- Revenge
- Tactical Master

The Plasma Rifle 2.0 one-shots all lategame enemies with this build without even trying.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Yeah with that build it makes sense, Lone Wolf+ science damage perks+ 100 science must add a fuckton of damage to plasma rifle.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I had a huge debate in this thread months ago about whether enemies are bullet sponges in this game or not. I definitely thought some of them were, especially toward the end, but others thought I was crazy. I think it really comes down to how you define the term. If I have to shoot someone more than twice with a non-automatic weapon then that's a sponge IMO.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
They're only spongey if your build is trash.

There's not much to a "build" in this game dude. Max rifles stat, max weapon level... uh, anything else? Maybe there's a perk or two for rifle damage, I don't remember, but I would have taken them. It's not fucking Pathfinder.

That's sadly true. I mean, you can invest in "wrong" stats and perks, but meh.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Many penalties are mostly irrelevant for many builds, so some are worth getting.

Yosharian

Arcane
That's sadly true. I mean, you can invest in "wrong" stats and perks, but meh.

Is it not so that the "negative" perks are barely worth it? For the bonuses they can give or how it affects gameplay?
Not exactly, there are enough good perks to make it worth getting at least some flaws, and flaws can be gotten early which means you can get perks faster

KVVRR

Learned
They're only spongey if your build is trash.

There's not much to a "build" in this game dude.

I'd say there's just too much xp and skill points, so it feels like there's no builds because you don't really have to specialize.
Also the perks are in the vast mayority of cases completely useless and/or just a number boost. Same thing with phobias really, they don't offer any other unique way to play the game cause most of the time it's just "x type of enemy does more damage to you now" or "you get -x atributes when in y state"

Hellraiser

Arcane
I'd say there's just too much xp and skill points, so it feels like there's no builds because you don't really have to specialize.

Let's say you cut total possible to gain xp to half or to 1/3, what real choices to specialize would you have? The damn perks are either useless, utility perks or general enough that any build would benefit from them. My experience is that the only two viable specializations are either melee or ranged. That's it. The game doesn't even have proper stealth perks to support some kind of sneaky build. The perk list is littered with garbage like "+20% faster sprinting", further making flaws utterly pointless.

On top of that the perks have no requirements other than the general tier requirement. It seems the design philosophy behind this character system was "no retard left behind" so that you couldn't make a non-viable build because there are just two possible builds and can't level-up yourself into a corner. What is even funnier is that you can respec in this game an unlimited number of times (ok, maybe until you run out of money, but still that is a soft cap). This is the most popamole brainlet-proof approach to character building I have ever fucking seen, why did they bother with skills and perks at all?

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I guess it's relative, I only got a few things up to 100 iirc, but most things were at 50 because of how the point distribution works. The DLC lets skills go up to 150, which is pretty damn hard to accomplish for more than one skill, though the benefits of doing so are minor anyway. The real problem is NONE of this matters because the game is so easy. Not just the combat, but opening locks, managing resources, talking to people, etc. etc... it's all too easy.

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane

Let's say you cut total possible to gain xp to half or to 1/3, what real choices to specialize would you have? The damn perks are either useless, utility perks or general enough that any build would benefit from them. My experience is that the only two viable specializations are either melee or ranged. That's it.

You can specialize in Leadership, companions become quite OP at combat once you invest enough points.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
the game is just shit, it's got nothing to do with politics - it was made by faggy men and women

no women should be involved in the work dynamic of making video games, end of - though, and only maybe, if I was in charge, I'd perhaps entertain having them around in limited capacity as occasional office decoration to provide the environmental stimuli to increase the test production of the men developing the game via introducing the anxiety of sexual competition in the back of their minds, of course taking all the necessary precautions to nip all possibility of the henhouse effect of mixed sex work environments tainting the product

BgUbpbo.jpg

This guy gets it.

Blitzkrieg

Novice
I stopped my first playthrough of this game about halfway through the story and didn't pick it back up for like 3 months. I was so excited when it was announced but it was really uninteresting. It felt like it was doing the bare minimum needed to be a fallout clone. Boring quests, combat and the fact that the game basically made you play anticorporation killed it for me.

Did the dlc change anything?

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I stopped my first playthrough of this game about halfway through the story and didn't pick it back up for like 3 months. I was so excited when it was announced but it was really uninteresting. It felt like it was doing the bare minimum needed to be a fallout clone. Boring quests, combat and the fact that the game basically made you play anticorporation killed it for me.

Did the dlc change anything?
The DLC is basically just more levels with nothing new or clever behind them. If the New Vegas add-ons are little adventure modules of fun that play around with the game's base concept, TOW's so far is Just Another Dungeon

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I would love a relationship quest where you help the gawky one get the hot one, only to later learn that the gawky socially awkward one murdered the other one and is in reality a serial killer. And then you can branch things out from there:
  1. Ignore it
  2. Turn him in (several ways to do this, from planting evidence to getting him to confess, etc.)
  3. Get him to turn himself in, claim it was an accident, etc. Or get him to commit suicide
  4. Kill him and tell the girl's parents you avenged her
  5. Help him destroy evidence and get more victims
  6. Kill other women and blame him for them

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom