Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Empire of Sin - Brenda and John Romero's turn-based Mafia strategy

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
It's from Ultima Underworld.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
PCGamer's review was written by the same guy who gave Imperator Rome a 92% so take it with a grain of salt.

Saduj

Arcane
Unless the stuff he was saying in the review is flat out untrue, he makes a good case for the game being lousy in its current state.

Hellion

Arcane
For what it's worth, the reviewer that's currently playing the game for my site claims that PC Gamer's reviewer a) played on an earlier, buggy build, b) skipped the tutorial, c) is a millenial edgelord.

Jinn

Arcane
Too bad, but I guess not surprising. Some of these flaws are so glaringly obvious that it's hard to believe they exist. Is every developer just that lazy these days?

sser

Arcane
Developer
In a sense, it has potential. But there are bugs leaking out of every part of it and I only got a little ways outside the tutorial.

The UI especially needs work. Not sure why it requires you to scroll through stuff back and forth instead of presenting it all in one readable format. It's like everyone saw Civ4's awesome diplomacy web where you could see the state of numerous civs at a glance and thought, naw fuck that shit let's make it a 2005 iPod menu scroll. This is apparent literally at the character select which goes side to side with random characters.

Combat has some punch to it, but its primary competition here is Omerta which was a trainwreck. It could use a lot of work. Again, the UI is a mess.

The city stuff I haven't gotten into too far yet, the UI ESPECIALLY rears its head here. You'll see that in the pics. It seems you have a cadre of gangsters to keep around, but so far it seems mostly combat related. I really liked Gangsters' setup where you might hire a whole heap of muscle to help you move product, then hire guys with specialty skills to guard or run businesses, extort, kidnap, assassinate, etc. It felt like you had an actual empire with lieutenants and the like -- here they stratify that whole part of the game well beneath you. There's just faceless goons all over which you add more of through upgrades and the like. A bit of a shame.

I do like the loot stuff even if it's gamey.

The combat in many ways looks like Silent Storm which released in 2004 iirc. I kept having nostalgia flashbacks during animations, thinking bullets would start ricocheting and punching through walls, but unfortunately there's none of that. Aesthetically speaking it does have that 'punch' though as mentioned. Gun sounds are good, melee weapons have a disgusting crunch, and I quite like the combat music.

Some pics;

971784C4E66C55A400D2894E8D69D2FAFEFE457F

EDACB1A6F5244C841668963BBBE3041100FC11A1

A2DB5769D9E87D9C2005FDA3D3810AE8AB8BAD84

My first "execution" I don't even see as the game moves the camera through a wall :lol:

32E50CBF1411148299F18CF24F278444F7AE7605

Example of a bug (and nightmare UI). I should have been able to shoot that guy, but it would never let me. But the dude in red was stuck in that pose for about 10mins, including on the city map, skirting around just like that.

Most intriguing part of the game is its engine which runs the city and management and battles all simultaneously. See below (as well as more UI confetti); I've no idea what any of those symbols mean. I mean the game seemingly tells you and also doesn't tell you cause they all moved the same regardless.

D9A0CFCA47B7798C9D6B91DBFE29376D39CB7EC8

238CF4711C3C9848964A11AF2DCD2FE8481945BE

:shredder:

38B98C9AC355A0F44813E488D03F8EB18F834741

:whatho:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Judging by the reviews only alpha version is out.

then the alpha testers that will buy this will surely be paid... because it's alpha! and not a beta version and everybody knows the beta testers that buy a game at launch are not paid :)

ArchAngel

Arcane
Seems like what Phoenix Point was 1 year ago. Good thing Phoenix Point is coming out with a fixed version in 2 days and Empire of Sin can be played in a year when they fix this mess.

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
Frankly, I have to overall disagree and for a couple of reasons. To put any stock in something from 'pcgamer' boggles the mind. You couldn't find a bigger pile of queers anywhere, not even lacrymas closet. Seeing people take these things at face value from rank inferiors is disturbing.

Bugs. I played for several hours last night and didn't encounter any that I could perceive. Particularly in relation to pretty much every other 'release' this year, it is surprisingly smooth and playable. In fact, I would say that Romero showing some coding chops as it is smoother and faster then any other unity game from recent memory. It's a far cry from the cut and paste plugin monstrosities we've come to expect from the engine.

UI. Not sure the complaints there really. There's alot of information under the hood and to display and it's fairly concise and easy to access and look okay doing it. No, it's not year 2020 press B to continue level, it hearkens back to dos level information display and it's kind of welcome in my opinion. It reminded me of 1830s robber barons and pizza tycoon actually and thats a plus 1 where I'm from.

My disappointment comes simply from the fact that all the systems are in place to have actually made a serious and deep rpg which could have been a fresh take on the format. I don't know how it will shape up in the mid to end game but I did decide last night after my demo to give them money. It's not amazing but its definitely alright and better than many.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom