Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Virtual Cities (An Atlas & Exploration of Video Game Cities)

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Very nice book, just got my copy yesterday and its majestic. The book is gorgeous and deserves some love.

There are some nice cRPG cities like Sigil, Neketaka, New Vegas and Novigrad. I think you will like it.

https://www.game-cities.com/virtual-cities

Virtual Cities
An Atlas & Exploration of Video Game Cities

0283b5_90f0343391b2483cadaf775c6a65b15f~mv2.webp

Video games allow us to construct and visit believable imaginary cities, provide us with glimpses of ancient urbanism, and let us immerse ourselves in the wildest utopias and darkest dystopias of our possible futures. They are an unprecedented canvas for experimenting with the urban environment, and an utterly unique medium for experiencing cities both imagined and real in truly immersive ways.

I and visual artist Maria Kallikaki have embarked on a virtual journey to explore, catalogue, and map the most spectacular, intriguing, and defining places of this new digital geography.

Virtual Cities was published on the 12th of November 2020.

Virtual Cities: An Atlas & Exploration of Video Game Cities is an ambitious and richly illustrated atlas that is the first detailed attempt to document the deep and exciting history of game cities via a combination of original maps, ink drawings, and insightful commentary and analysis.

Virtual Cities is a beautiful book meant for lovers of cartography and imaginary worlds, artists, game designers, world builders, and, above all, everyone who plays and cares for video games.

Virtual Cities covers 45 game cities across literary and gaming genres. Cities spanning almost 40 years of digital history, including detailed entries on Half-Life 2’s City 17, Yakuza’s Kamurocho, Fallout’s New Vegas, Silent Hill, Fallen London, and less well-known cities such as Antescher and Lizard Breath, plus cyberpunk Hong Kong, and voodoo New Orleans among many, many more.

Every city featured in the atlas is re-imagined in its striking entirety from an in-world point of view, and cartographically described using traditional and unorthodox mapping methods. The reconstruction and filling in of essential details allowed me and artist Maria Kallikaki to visualize the often fragmented, incomplete, and out of scale cities of gaming in a cohesive way. Allcities are accompanied by subtly coloured ink drawings, and in-depth texts detailing its history, design lessons, atmosphere, landmarks, and geography.

About the Book:

• A full colour, high quality hardback with printed endpapers.

• 256 pages.

• 216 by 286mm format with head and tail bands.

• 46 original maps, and more than 100 drawings.

Order Virtual Cities @ Amazon[/paste:font]
Order Virtual Cities @ Book Depository
Order Virtual Cities @ Unbound
Order Virtual Cities @ Waterstones
Order Virtual Cities @ Bookshop.org

The 45 cities included in the book (presented here in no particular order) are the following:

The City, Thief: The Dark Project
London, Fallen London
Dunwall, Dishonored
City 17, Half-Life 2
New Vegas, Fallout: New Vegas
Citadel, Mass Effect series
Hong Kong, Shadowrun: Hong Kong
Midgar, Final Fantasy VII
Lizard Breath, It Came From The Desert
New Orleans, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Silent Hill, Silent Hill
Kamurocho, Yakuza 0
Wan Chai, Shenmue II
Steelport, Saints Row: The Third
London, Assassin's Creed Syndicate
Antescher, Ant Attack
Rubacava, Grim Fandango
Whiterun, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Sigil, Planescape: Torment
Anytown, 0°N 0°W
Anor Londo, Dark Souls
Seaside Valley, Bus Simulator 18
Dun Darach, Dun Darach
Novigrad, The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
Rockvil, A Mind Forever Voyaging
Mega Primus, X-COM: Apocalypse
Orgrimmar, World of Warcraft
Terrapolis, B.A.T.
Olympic City, Need For Speed Underground
Pripyat, STALKER: Call of Pripyat
Metro City, Final Fight
Raccoon City, Resident Evil 2
New Bretagne, Lamplight City
New York City, Deus Ex
Yharnam, Bloodborne
Clock Town, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Fourside, Earthbound
Woodtick, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
New Donk City, Super Mario Odyssey
Tarsonis City, Starcraft series
Gotham City, Batman: Arkham Knight
Neketaka, Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire
Milton, The Long Dark
Propast, Europolis, Dreamfall Chapters
Union City, Beneath A Steel Sky

Last edited:

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
No Tarant, nothing from Morrowind, nothing from Fallout

Yet it has crap like Neketaka and Skyrim and Ass Creed

Disqualified.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Those are some bizarre choices. Saints Row 3 and Need for Speed next to B.A.T. and A Mind Voyaging Forever? Feels weird to see this stuff next to each other. This actually doesn't sound bad.

Zann

Cipher
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Very nice idea for a book, not too fond of the drawing style though.
Plus, like already mentioned, no Tarant.

This topics interests me and I might get the book. Looking at the list, I'm surprised by the lack of GTA. GTA 3 (to pick just one) was astonishing when it came out and there's a lot that could be said about Liberty City. Mafia's Lost Heaven is another glaring omission. I haven't played Saint's Row: the Third, but I doubt that is more significant or interesting.

Tarant has been mentioned already, probably the best RPG town ever made. Britannia from some of the Ultima games should've been included as well. Morrowind clearly should've been picked before Skyrim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom