Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is THE single most underrated game of all times?

El Presidente

Arcane
By underrated I mean: the ratio between the game's popularity/fanbase/circlejerk and its quality is absolutely disproportionate. The game is God-tier and nobody's jerking off to it - and they should be.

Pick one game only.

D I S C U S S ! !
I
S
C
U
S
S
!
!

ValeVelKal

Arcane
Renowned Explorers : International Society

Everyone believes it is a game for casual due to the art direction and the simple-looking tactical phase . Boy is it not.

It has nice stories. It has more choice and consequences than 99% of the RPG. It has character-building (in large part around items, granted). It has extremely challenging tactical battles (more so than a Fallout or 90% of the RPG) where you need to 3D chess due to the "individual mood" and "battle mood" which you need to combine with your objective for the battles, and it will kill you if you don't plan.

Last edited:
Dark Colony - one of most unique RTS games which is built around extreme simplicity and minimalism. Not gonna say anymore, I've made thread years ago:

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads/dark-colony.86737/

At first I wanted to vote for Z for similar reasons but Z at least received console/IOS ports, sequel and is being sold again, Dark Colony is completely forgotten, even GOG doesn't have it.

Oh, and it still looks gorgeus:

1W7k9kqTURBXy8zYjNkODhmNDJiODIzOGY1YTNhYzU0ZWU3Y2I0MGU2Zi5qcGVnkZUCzQMUAMLDgaEwBQ
5Bh3Qr84WRXwWYousydl3yONt4BQbmgYVnrzJYqtIGDWrOAioGxlZ1jlEdzWIei2B2RI3HtzepjfxfPdBaH65FSxfZTLNF98inZTcHraBHJGKCKRgamL0FcPclYBWQ

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Hard West

SiJ6P42.jpg

Great turn based combat with refreshingly original elements thrown in to keep it different, backed by stunningly brilliant atmosphere & vibe.

Expect normies to miss it out coz they're fucking tarded cunts, but on a forum where Jagged Alliance is jerked off so much this should be too.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I think Alien: Isolation is pretty amazing and while people like it the sales weren't great and it doesn't get a ton of attention today as a top tier classic.

I remember enjoying Condemned: Criminal Origins a lot and most forget that game existed.

I really liked Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, easily one of the best post-Call of Duty shooters, but it gets little attention because earlier series entries either sucked or weren't that great.

Does Dead Space get enough credit? The first two are pretty great games, yet I've seen plenty of try-hards here lump them in as EA trash or whatever. I don't know if that's just a Codex retardation though.

Because it wasn't on consoles STALKER will forever be underappreciated by mainstream lists and whatnot.

Gemini Rue and Primordia are amazing point and clickers that maybe should have helped the genre be more mainstream again but did not.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pick one game only.
I think Alien: Isolation is pretty amazing and while people like it the sales weren't great and it doesn't get a ton of attention today as a top tier classic.

I remember enjoying Condemned: Criminal Origins a lot and most forget that game existed.

I really liked Call of Juarez: Gunslinger, easily one of the best post-Call of Duty shooters, but it gets little attention because earlier series entries either sucked or weren't that great.

Does Dead Space get enough credit? The first two are pretty great games, yet I've seen plenty of try-hards here lump them in as EA trash or whatever. I don't know if that's just a Codex retardation though.

Because it wasn't on consoles STALKER will forever be underappreciated by mainstream lists and whatnot.

Gemini Rue and Primordia are amazing point and clickers that maybe should have helped the genre be more mainstream again but did not.

giphy.gif

deadmeme

Learned
220px-Severance_-_Blade_of_Darkness_Coverart.png

Severance: Blade of Darkness

Excellent action game with great fighting mechanics. It has lots of Sumerian mythology influences, deadly traps, bosses and you can sever enemies limbs and thrash them with it. You can play as four heroes, so don't worry about replay value.
jk1x67wcwrsbduqtp8q4.jpg

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Space Channel 5 Part 2

Last edited:
Nu-Hitmans.

BUT

Looking at it from perspective outside rpgcodex - you can pick almost any game even with its newest mutations and conversions from rpgcodex lists whether rpg or non-rpg and make your case. I could never understand why some games are overlooked by normies and they go for shiny graphics or whatever boring shit instead of FUN.

Fallout 1 - absolutely amazing to this day, great story, atmosphere, mechanics, humor, art direction, etc. Amazing game that should and can be enjoyed by almost anyone - but no, *insert Angry Joe Top reasons why Fallout 3 kicks ass*

Thief 2 - rewarding gameplay, amazing atmosphere, sound design, tight design, lore, countless FMs, The Dark Mod. But no, normies opt for "Press C to enter stealth mode" in dumbed down versions of "stealth." Just look at Thi4F.

Underrail, Jagged Alliance, SMAC, Arma 3, etc.,...

We can pretend that those games require some thought or oh my god reading the fucking manual therefore for normie brain - hard-core, too difficult, nerdy, slow and boring, etc. I have to make my way to the awesome button and it's usually more than one. But are they really that hard? Are these games really that difficult to get into? That complex? Nah, man. I am no genius and I can understand and enjoy the fuck out of most of them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom