Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game did you lose your RPG virginity to?

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
FATE (2005 Dungeon Crawler.)

Was maybe like 7 when I played it. I had the Demo Version which only went up to level 3 of the dungeon but I played it over and over for many hours on an old windows XP PC.

Shame it took me so long to get into RPGs afterwards.

Aenigmatax1874

Barely Literate
Made an account just to reply to this thread lol..

My first RPG game I believe was actually Nox, which my grandmother bought me. Not an 'RPG' in the traditional sense but my first introduction to genre nonetheless. She also bought me games like Lord's of Magic, Zeus: Master of Olympus, Summoner 2, and later Champions of Norath. Then you had other classics like Diablo 1, FFT, Red Alert 2, and Pandora's Box (which my whole family enjoyed). Before all that though I remember playing the sega genesis. I was so young however I really don't remember any of those games.

Yeah.. my grandmother was a pretty cool lady me thinks.

I tried replaying Nox about 5 years back.. mmh no..

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Deus Ex demo, from one of these gaming magazines that added CDs (and then later - DVDs) with goodies. Full games, demos, fanzins, videos, wallpapers and whatnot.

Even though my PC could not handle it (as usual - GPU to blame, luckly it fried and was replaced) and my English was quite limited (only knew where to go in main menu) is still hook me up. That music... still love that kind, even though I could never remember the genre name.
Of course demo had tutorial and first island, and that was enough to convince new people that it's not your average game...

But it took me another decade to hook up into this genre, when I got bored with first person shooters.

eXalted

Arcane
That Wasteland three-legged prostitute. Was a weird experience, I was kinda confused what where.

Ensi

Educated
Secret of the Silver Blades/Curse of the Azure Bonds, then Final Fantasy Tactics, then probably Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/Fallout/PS:T.

Max Damage

Savant
Neverwinter Nights. I guess I shouldn't really be complaining, almost everything else is Knights of Chalice by comparison, HotU was also fine as Diablo for dummies.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Technically the first RPG I played was Ultima I on an Apple II when visiting friends.
But the first RPG and the first computer game I ever had any real time with was Phantasie on the C64. This led directly into a binge over the next several years of Ultima IV, Might & Magic I, Bard's Tale 3, Pool of Radiance, and Curse of the Azure Bonds.

So basically Phantasie had its way with me and turned me into a CRPG whore. :negative:

Also it's funny how back then, I considered having those titles as having a lot of games. I think Steam libraries would've made my head explode.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
The first RPG like thing I played was a board game called Hero Quest.

The first CRPG I ever played was Stonekeep.

Last edited:

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I was a tabletop RPG'er - so I'll guess the first RPG I bought and played was Telengard for the C64, as all I had was a crappy tape drive and the tape game cost $4 (it was in a plastic bag as a return, and I was incredibly broke.) Fun fact: that game took 45 minutes to load. I could press play on tape, walk to the store, watch a show on tv, and then come back and wait a few more minutes for the tape to stop loading. Then die in 2 minutes or less over and over and over.

The first floppy crpg was Bard's Tale.

otteaux

Novice
I was a tabletop RPG'er - so I'll guess the first RPG I bought and played was Telengard for the C64, as all I had was a crappy tape drive and the tape game cost $4 (it was in a plastic bag as a return, and I was incredibly broke.) Fun fact: that game took 45 minutes to load. I could press play on tape, walk to the store, watch a show on tv, and then come back and wait a few more minutes for the tape to stop loading.

Oh man, I remember loading games from cassette tape on my buddy's VIC-20. I think it was "Lunar Lander" or something like that. Took fucking forever.

Back to the thread... my first RPG was Wizardry I on an Apple IIe. Good times.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
My first RPG was Little Big Adventure.

Hey, I thought it was a RPG back then! I considered them "adventure games with combat". I also played the heck out of Al-Qadim, a RPG-lite. I can't recall the first RPG proper, was back then in 1994-95. I guess it was Ultima VIII - Pagan. While for a Ultima game is was not very good, and the platforming was horrible, but damn, it had some great atmosphere. Then I recall playing a lot of Diablo, and then Fallout. Most probably played some other ones as well back then.

Last edited:
i guess shadowworlds on the amiga wouldn't count (as hero quest and as many others, too basic), so i guess my pick is "baldur's gate 2".

*infra scriptum: legends of valour! i'll never figure why it's so hated.

what a shitshow of an underwhelming experience. only few months earlier i was enjoying the whole galaxy in elite 2, which resided on a single floppy. "i can't even think what they could have put in four whole cds!". actually nothing.* i expected a whole living world, endless lands to explore, millions of npcs moving around, limitless possibilities. instead i got an elf sobbing on my shoulder and an unsufferable paladin. "it shall be done with skill and care" and was always the first to die.

Guvide

Educated
A demo of FF7 that I got from a magazine. 22 years later and I still have not played the full game.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Hillsfar, a very bad game that soured my opinion of RPGs for years. Its like losing your virginity to a bearded woman with a deep voice and cold hands.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
TZEJ4q0.png
sWqTXwh.png

Funny post, but SSI in this advertisement defined Hillsfar as an "action-adventure game" in contrast to Pool of Radiance being described as "the first and now classic AD&D computer role-playing game". Granted, the back of Hillsfar's box did describe the game as combining "the best of RPGs and fast-paced action games", but this phrasing, combined with the images of Hillsfar's mini-games and the box itself being silver rather than the Gold Box used for Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds, should have provided clues to the fact that it wasn't really an RPG.

kryminator

Augur
I think it was Crystals of Arborea or Betrayal at Krondor in my case. Could be also demo of first Diablo.

Erebus

Arcane
I think it was Crystals of Arborea or Betrayal at Krondor in my case.

Crystals of Arborea was also one of my first video games. From what I remember, the RPG elements are very limited : there are extremely few ways of improving your characters and no inventory to speak of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom