Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Telltale's Sam & Max Remastered - Seasons 1+2

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1440440/discussions/0/2965021152083053792/#c2965021152083325676
A lot of voice lines, such as

Episode 1

Original dialogue:

It's the latest in BoscoTech inovation, it'll clear out a room of militant college students in no time, guaranteed.

New dialogue:

It's the latest in BoscoTech inovation, it'll clear out a room in no time, guaranteed.

Episode 2

Original dialogue:

Oh no, the Skinbodies are like Skinheads, but ten times worse!

New dialogue:

Oh no, the Skinbodies are like those horrible hairless cats, but ten times worse!

They also changed the license plate of that car parked next to the Desoto

Original:
DRG DLR

New:
RMS DLR

And, in the other episodes, when you click on some objects, Max still has the old voice from episode 1 (unlike the original).

Episode 3

Original dialogue:

You may call me, Jean-Francois Sissypants, the cowardly French anarchist.

New dialogue:

You may call me, Jean-Francois Bonde-A-Part, the new wave French anarchist.

Which doesn't make sense, considering Sam & Max still call him "Sissypants"

Episode 4:

I didn't notice any change in the dialogue so far, but
the time estimate for the missile to hit Krypton does not show up (might be a bug).

Episode 5:

They changed one of Bob's line

Original dialogue:

Take our complimentary goggles designed for special-needs children so that the little ones can play along.

New Dialogue:

Take our complimentary wide-fit goggles designed for playing while bicycling or enjoying full-contact sports!

Original dialogue:

It's 'cause everyone on the internet has to pick an avatar, like a dwarf or an orc or an hot young fifteen-year- old girl curious about the adult world and willing to experiment.

New Dialogue:

It's cause everyone on the internet has to pick an avatar, like a dwarf or an orc or a troll... But we've got enough trolls.

Original dialogue:

Half-elf, foo'!

New dialogue:

Half- elf, troll!

Episode 6:

Original dialogue:

Max: A hundred trillion?! You crazy, foo'!

Bosco: Look man, all I know is, I keep making up the most ridiculous price I can think of, and you keep paying it! So I ask you, who's the foo'?

New dialogue:

Look man, all I know is, I keep making up the most ridiculous price I can think of, and you keep paying it! So I ask you, who's the crazy one?

Him saying "crazy" doesn't make sense, since Max called him a "fool".

They also removed a lot of dialogue, such as:

1-"Why the sex change"

Sam: Mind telling us how you came to be a woman?

Max: Did you use lasers, or just do it the old-fashioned way?

Bosco: Are you sassin' me? Boy I'll whup your behind so hard you won't be able to see straight!

Max: But I don't see out of my behind.

Bosco: You will after I get through with you!

2- "How's life as a woman?"

Sam: So how are those BoscoTech breasts holdin' up?

Bosco: Oh, these are all natural, honey.

Max: I'm not gonna lie, I like 'em bosomy.

Bosco: Oh, Max, you take after your father.

Max: Okay, you just crossed the line, pal!

Sam: Easy Max, theoretically, we have even more disturbed people to worry about right now.
I wonder what went on at the office when they did this. Did some fat retard go, "Eyy, these jokes aren't unfunny enough, let's suck the last air of fun out of them." Because you'd have to approach it like that to make these already shitty lines even worse.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
This looks and sounds a LOT better. Shame they censored some great lines though, wtf. I didn't really have an issue with the voice actor change, but editing the script is BS.

WallaceChambers

Learned
This is not a sign of good things to come for Sam & Max games going forward. The series was never edgelord shockbait to begin with but it wasn't afraid to cross the line with its satire either.

A Sam & Max game by ppl who think a dig a militant college students or merely mentioning skinheads (as a set up) is too far, is no Sam & Max game I want to play.

JBro

Arbiter
I'm trying to get in touch with Steve Purcell to see what he thinks of the censorship.

Stokowski

Arcane
restoration-fresco-gone-wrong.jpg

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
This looks and sounds a LOT better. Shame they censored some great lines though, wtf. I didn't really have an issue with the voice actor change, but editing the script is BS.
You sound like a gamergay retard extremist with this muh censorship whining, censorship is something big gov does, not private companies. What would you say if they added some unfunny line to the game? If Max said Bazinga! in one scene what would you call that? This is like that, you can't even argue anything explicit was removed, it was just changes and they were for the worse, like in most remakes. Should have hired better people for the remake and that is all there is to it. Go be a nazi somewhere else.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Sam and Max was always the mildest satire ever with a thick layer of absurdity to throw idiots off the scent.

Pity they aren't in a position to get a bit edgier, so much to make fun of in the world right now.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I just don't know anymore....
This "edit the past" thing is becoming mainstream thought, it is what it is. I'm not sure what can be done about it. Buy DRM free or on disc when possible.
What the fuck is wrong with you people? Stop being such a tinfoil hat wearing nazi for one second. This is a remake and was advertised as such. Nobody is changing the past you huge retard. On these projects they rework things, remake textures and other assets, sometimes they add maps or change layouts, small touches here and there. If you think making lame jokes more lame in a remake is Orwellian in any sense you need to be locked up into an asylum or something. Some retard at this company thought the demands of the market had changed and the their customers might not like even the inoffensive jokes in the original. Turns out comedy is all about being edgy and the more bland and inoffensive you make it the less fun it is. So this was a failure to deliver a good product but knock it off with this changing history bullshit.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What the fuck is wrong with you people? Stop being such a tinfoil hat wearing nazi for one second. This is a remake and was advertised as such. Nobody is changing the past you huge retard. On these projects they rework things, remake textures and other assets, sometimes they add maps or change layouts, small touches here and there. If you think making lame jokes more lame in a remake is Orwellian in any sense you need to be locked up into an asylum or something. Some retard at this company thought the demands of the market had changed and the their customers might not like even the inoffensive jokes in the original. Turns out comedy is all about being edgy and the more bland and inoffensive you make it the less fun it is. So this was a failure to deliver a good product but knock it off with this changing history bullshit.

I guess I'll take your bait. 1) I am fully aware censorship means by the government going on pure definition, but people use it colloquially all the time for situations like this. Get over it. 2) Even without a remaster older stuff is being edited more and more. Movies like Toy Story 2 have had jokes removed, Simpsons had a whole episode removed, etc. Yes you can obtain older copies on DVD or whatever to avoid this, hence my final sentence above about buying on disc when possible, but it still sucks to have the newest, mostly likely best looking/sounding version be edited. 3) I'm not even flipping my shit like some people are, you should check the Steam forums. I'm pretty torn on whether I care enough about 5 or so jokes to play the older version, probably not.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Movies like Toy Story 2 have had jokes removed, Simpsons had a whole episode removed, etc.
Industries moving to meet the demands of the market, if you want rowdier content then that is on the people buying these products. This is also all disposable entertainment, not history books. I like edgy content but the solution to lame content is to not buy it. Americans are becoming more gay so they change entertainment to become more gay, that is all there is to it. Censorship is when governments try to tell the public what to think, what to read and watch and play.
I guess I'll take your bait.
I'm a free market champion, there is no bait here. I might not like companies turning their products into gay little circlejerks without bite but I will defend their right to private property to the death. Only extremists from both sides of the horseshoe oppose this. Commies because they don't believe in property and want everything owned by the public (read the big government and single totalitarian party) and nazi conservatives just hate changes for no good reason and always want to tell others what to do.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
That would make sense if Sam and Max's whole schtick wasn't outdated humour.

But yeah, it's a remaster of a reboot. Who really cares at this level of dilution. If you enjoy this stuff you can be amused by almost anything.

AdamReith

Magister
Patron
Max is an amoral psychopath but of course he would draw the line at hurting people's feelings.

WallaceChambers

Learned
I just don't know anymore....

This is what I would have expected tbh. A lot of the ppl at Skunkape Games are ex TTG/LucasArts dudes. So he's been friends, or at least friendly, with them for years now. From that alone I'd never expect him to say anything negative about their current projects.

Dexter

Arcane
What?... Which... err, definition would that be?
The correct one.
Where did you find this "correct" definition? Got a link? I'm curious if they changed any more definitions lately. Last time I checked the only people saying something as abysmally stupid as "Censorship is only when the GUBERMINT does it!" were the same crazy Leftists saying shit like "Racism = Prejudice + Power".
I'm pretty safe in the knowledge of knowing what "Censorship" is, it's crazy Lefties who usually believe them starting pressure campaigns trying to smear companies and individuals names and trying to get them fired so they change something they find "offensive" and "objectionable" isn't "Censorship" and somethingsomething Government.

Here are some definitions for you:
https://www.aclu.org/other/what-censorship?redirect=free-speech/what-censorship
Censorship, the suppression of words, images, or ideas that are "offensive," happens whenever some people succeed in imposing their personal political or moral values on others. Censorship can be carried out by the government as well as private pressure groups. Censorship by the government is unconstitutional.

In contrast, when private individuals or groups organize boycotts against stores that sell magazines of which they disapprove, their actions are protected by the First Amendment, although they can become dangerous in the extreme. Private pressure groups, not the government, promulgated and enforced the infamous Hollywood blacklists during the McCarthy period. But these private censorship campaigns are best countered by groups and individuals speaking out and organizing in defense of the threatened expression.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship
Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient". Censorship can be conducted by a government, private institutions, and corporations.

Governments and private organizations may engage in censorship. Other groups or institutions may propose and petition for censorship. When an individual such as an author or other creator engages in censorship of their own works or speech, it is referred to as self-censorship.

https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/censorship
The suppression or prohibition of any parts of books, films, news, etc. that are considered obscene, politically unacceptable, or a threat to security.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/censor
censor
- an official who examines books, plays, news reports, motion pictures, radio and television programs, letters, cablegrams, etc., for the purpose of suppressing parts deemed objectionable on moral, political, military, or other grounds.
- any person who supervises the manners or morality of others.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/12/17/a...er-expression-in-apps-and-games-as-dangerous/

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm a free market champion, there is no bait here. I might not like companies turning their products into gay little circlejerks without bite but I will defend their right to private property to the death. Only extremists from both sides of the horseshoe oppose this. Commies because they don't believe in property and want everything owned by the public (read the big government and single totalitarian party) and nazi conservatives just hate changes for no good reason and always want to tell others what to do.

I fully support their right to do it, I don't think anyone is being retarded enough to say this is a crime or anything. I just think it was a dumb decision, as is altering any piece of historical art to meet modern standards.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Even disregarding the asinine rubbish that "But it's only Censorship if the Government does it!" there are specific negative terms for this style of nonsense...

"Bowdlerization/Expurgation":

Expurgation, also known as bowdlerization, is a form of censorship which involves purging anything deemed noxious or offensive from an artistic work, or other type of writing of media.

The term bowdlerization is a pejorative term for the practice, particularly the expurgation of lewd material from books.
The term derives from Thomas Bowdler's 1818 edition of William Shakespeare's plays, which he reworked in order to make them more suitable for women and children.
Bowdler-title-page.png

He similarly edited Edward Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expurgation

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom