Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Turns out I still had it downloaded on epic, so turned it on. Whole year has passed and gui still looks like a mockup thrown together in first days of development. Writing in new tutorial is cringe.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I was not monitoring the game while it was on EGS, so I had a pretty vague idea about it's early problems.
But I've just tried the game and it looks pretty good so far.
ArchAngel Could you give any insight on differences between difficulty levels? I started on "Hero", is it worth restarting on "Legend"?
Depends on how easy or hard you found other Xcom games on hardest difficulty. If those games were playable on hardest you can play PP on Legendary as well.
Changes I can remember between Hero and Legendary is that on Hero your soldiers become stronger faster, they start with a bit better stats, when you recruit new ones from Havens you also get their faction armor and enemies evolve slower and less of their bases spawn at same time.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Anyone from a post-communist European country probably knows that feel of a Russian game from somewhere between 2000 and 2010. They had this very peculiar aura when it comes to production values and the atmosphere they instilled, very difficult to mistake with something else. So, I'm running PP, the first loading screen with the ridiculously lame soldier in football armor appears and I'm instantly hit with 101% EXACTLY that feeling for the first time in like a decade. Hey, it's 2008 and I'm running 1C game for shits and giggles :lol:

Then, the game starts with pseudo-EULA screen about how they sell your data, you don't own shit and were generally really dumb to buy this. If you click "I disagree", the game gives you a quick and legit CTD :lol: :lol: :lol:

And thus, after buying exactly 653 games on steam, many of them impulse/expendable income/pity buys, it became the first one I ever refunded, and almost instantly at that. Congrats, Phoenix Point :salute:

Last edited:

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Has the geoscape been made to be more casual or something? I keep finding Phoenix Point bases, and I don't seem to need any more radar or sonar equipment anymore to discover interesting points? And wasn't there a fuel cost for aircrafts before? Just seems geoscape is a lot less engaging since last time I platyed on gamepass. Already cleared a whole continent.

Mazisky

Magister
Anyone from a post-communist European country probably knows that feel of a Russian game from somewhere between 2000 and 2010. They had this very peculiar aura when it comes to production values and the atmosphere they instilled, very difficult to mistake with something else. So, I'm running PP, the first loading screen with the ridiculously lame soldier in football armor appears and I'm instantly hit with 101% EXACTLY that feeling for the first time in like a decade. Hey, it's 2008 and I'm running 1C game for shits and giggles :lol:

Then, the game starts with pseudo-EULA screen about how they sell your data, you don't own shit and were generally really dumb to buy this. If you click "I disagree", the game gives you a quick and legit CTD :lol: :lol: :lol:

And thus, after buying exactly 653 games on steam, many of them impulse/expendable income/pity buys, it became the first one I ever refunded, and almost instantly at that. Congrats, Phoenix Point :salute:

Man, Silent Storm was great.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Has the geoscape been made to be more casual or something? I keep finding Phoenix Point bases, and I don't seem to need any more radar or sonar equipment anymore to discover interesting points? And wasn't there a fuel cost for aircrafts before? Just seems geoscape is a lot less engaging since last time I platyed on gamepass. Already cleared a whole continent.
Fuel cost had been scrapped in the Backer Builds (between BB3 and 4 if I remember correctly).

geno

Savant
How is the mod scene right now? Any mod I should have installed?
Fuel cost had been scrapped in the Backer Builds (between BB3 and 4 if I remember correctly).
I think they didn't know what to do with that feature (and I can't imagine how to integrate it well enough in the game)

PanteraNera

Arcane
How is the mod scene right now? Any mod I should have installed?
I think they didn't know what to do with that feature (and I can't imagine how to integrate it well enough in the game)
It was already in the game and much much better than what we have now.

See every aircraft had limited fuel, you had to go back to base to refuel, or build a refueling point. There was also an emergency refuel if you fucked up.
You could only build refueling points on haven's that had neutral or better relations with you.
If Pandora attacked a haven with a refueling point and succeeded you might have lost a flight line to another continent.
It was a really nice and good mechanic.
But it got streamlined in the end :roll:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
So now that the butthurt from the Epic exkoosive release and reneged promises subsided, is the game itself actually any good? I'm reading it has already 3 DLCs and it's only 25 bucks. Hivemind, do my bidding.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Bases have scanners that look for POI and Pandoran bases in their radius. You have to activate new bases strategically and then build scanner in them.
Also when you find a Haven it gives you a few more near by locations to go and explore.

jac8awol

Arbiter
This incomplete game stuff (early access) does my head in because usually I want to give a product the benefit of the doubt until it's done. I mean I'm not gonna write a steam review until I've played the final version. And I suspect that this is what a lot of developers these days are banking on, keeping products in EA as long as possible so potential customers don't get scared off by legit reviews.

I sent the PP team a lot of feedback about the geoscape exploration stuff, that was my biggest gripe. I can only hope they improved it the right way, but from these comments it looks like it's gone full retard instead.

PanteraNera

Arcane
PanteraNera do you own the game? Can you give your feedback on the actual version?
I haven't touched the game since the release of the first DLC. I wanted to wait for the Year One edition as they had originally planned to release all five DLC's in 2020. Surprise, they haven't.
To me the game got repetitive and boring very quickly, you kept fighting on the same few maps, enemy variety was lacking, the "evolution system" was less than I expected.
They always said that they were holding so much content back from the Backer Builds, to keep surprises. Well there was not much new to experience besides "story".

To me PP played like a cheap nuXCOM clone, with a lot of potential wasted, mainly by streamlining that feels more like cutting because they run out of budget and time.
Gollop once announced that the game had become so much bigger since Fig, but the opposite happened.

But I am the biased guy that is still angry that they just gave their fan base the middle finger (repeatedly) mainly changing the setting from a post-apocalyptic world, with Thing-like aliens that were also influenced by Lovecraft, to something more nuXCOM. So take this with a grain of salt.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Revealing the aliens in the new style of briefings is a major decline. Now you don't get surprised a la X-com, you know what kind of troops the enemy will be having at each time.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Revealing the aliens in the new style of briefings is a major decline. Now you don't get surprised a la X-com, you know what kind of troops the enemy will be having at each time.
I think it is cool and you are first that commented about it in a negative way.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Let me explain that. Briefings are done in a cool way and you don't know what awaits you in the mission, you just know what all kind of variation of enemies exist in the pool and can possibly appear in next mission

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I was rather put off this game by Beaglerush's disdain as he was giving it a tryout. Has it settled down to be a good game after all or is it irredeemable shit? Was it some sort of cash-grab using Gollop's name, or is it a serious game?

After enjoying the hell out of Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children, I've got the XCOM-ish combat itch and wouldn't mind playing another game in roughly the same vein.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I was rather put off this game by Beaglerush's disdain as he was giving it a tryout. Has it settled down to be a good game after all or is it irredeemable shit? Was it some sort of cash-grab using Gollop's name, or is it a serious game?

After enjoying the hell out of Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children, I've got the XCOM-ish combat itch and wouldn't mind playing another game in roughly the same vein.
Beaglerush is a retard that didn't even play old UFO games and jerks off to Firaxis Xcom shit.
His rant vs PP at release was so retarded I don't know how the guy manages to put clothes on himself in the morning.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I think it is cool and you are first that commented about it in a negative way.

Really, nobody else brought this up? If the briefings was after you encounter them would be one thing, but they come before. It kinda ruins the mutation surprise, at least for me.

His rant vs PP at release was so retarded I don't know how the guy manages to put clothes on himself in the morning.

Is there a video link? Don't exactly like the guy either :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom