Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Find me an RPG that does these things......

Falksi

Arcane
-Has real time combat

ix60ack.gif

V_K

Arcane
I think Exiled Kingdoms fits your description best - although you can have hirelings or summons, it's not party-based in the proper sense.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
-Is isometric
-Has good character creation and skill system like SPECIAL (ie multiple skills and you don't level into the entire skill tree in one character / playthrough)
-Has real time combat
-You can play as a single character (no problem if its party based, but single character should be viable)

Only two examples I could find were Arcanum (that's not party-based, right?) and Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader which is my inspiration for wanting a game like this. The isometric part is negotiable but I doubt a non-isometric game would fall under my radar.
Just solo Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 on your first playthrough. Follow up with Icewind Dale. No problem.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Your list is pretty restrictive so I'm gonna bend the rules a bit and suggest a bunch of stuff that pops out of my head that I think you might like and everyone should probably try anyway.

1. Blackguards
  2. Xcom
  3. Neverwinter Nights - totally underrated. Use Speedhack (use Speedhack on every game and learn to love it). The start is really tedious but it gets good later on as your character gets strong. And then there are expansions which are much better, and custom modules which are great too.
  4. Aarklash Legacy is good too, real time with pause, party based but I think you can probably play it with 1 character, but the party is really fun. It is challenging though and has a bunch of tough puzzles but you could probably fix both with difficulty levels or whatever.
  5. JADE EMPIRE! It is better than what these guys are playing.
  6. Divine Divinity if you want a more RPGish one
  7. Titan Quest and Diablo and the millions of clones if you want a more actiony one.
  8. Baldur's Gate 1/2 Icewind 1/2, pretty sure you can solo in these games too, but it would probably be pretty tedious. Although one man's tedium is another man's best way to massage their autism, so each to their own.
  9. System Shock 1 and 2, yeah they are FPS but RPGs too and really amazing ones every self respecting gamer should play.
  10. TOEE, one of a tiny handful of good RPGs. True story.

Smoker

Scholar
Amounts of filler combat at certain points are truly titanic and it's made worse by the combat system not being anything but a chaotic click-fest. I personally worked around that by cheating and had lots of fun enjoying the story and the setting.

Ouch...
Inquisitor is the only game I cheated in and still got steamrolled. Being a fighter is impossible I think

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I have and I do.

I actually looked up Inquisitor but the community's comments seems to be quite divided... I mean, at the end of the day I think the majority of people just want to sit down and play a damn good game :D, but apart from that, why do you think Inquisitor has a noticeable amount of negative ratings?

It's pretty rough.
People saw hack'n'slash, expected another Diablo clone and got bitch slapped hard because it's actually more like Divine Divinity, and difficulty level is quite high... and dungeons are even harder.
Plus - a lot of reading, where only few lines per page are important, at best.

Melee is the worst, Priest with bow+magic is the only viable option.
And you need to grind. Also - there are four tabs in the inventory and at least 2 of them are filled with potions. Yes, it's one of those games where characters have drinking issues (other would be Path of Exile).

Last edited:

vazha

Arcane
But... but... The world! The setting! That atmosphere, them quests! That art design, those unique weapons & armor looking all sublime...

Eeeeeh. What a flawed, flawed GEM.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There's always The Witcher and the Game of Thrones rpg.

You could always do Storm of Zehir solo run.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
deama Yaz
Thanks for another game I haven't heard of, will look into evil Islands. Tyranny is going to be free on the EGS so I'll check that out as well. Pathfinder looks too modern for me though, too clean and DOTA-like. Although I don't know anything about the board game so it may be better than I expect. DD looks beautiful to me graphically, but my brother who's played the beginning has told there are plenty of ways to lock yourself out of being able to progress by doing one quest before another or killing one guy before taking a quest from him.
Gregz
I'm placing the loot based games for last right now since I don't favor grinding for loot in general (instilled after playing and quitting Borderlands:TPS). Otherwise, Diablos and Grim Dawn look to be good options.
Ol' Willy
Thanks for another game I haven't heard / read about. I'll check it out.
Justicar
Its on my wishlist, but still a tad too expensive. I really want to play since it looks like it has elements (or at least boss design elements) from Dark Souls.
V_K
Thanks! I haven't ever seen that game either. The graphics look really utilitarian though.
anvi
I got a few of them already but haven't played them yet due to patch confusion. That's a common theme I feel when it comes to RPGs with me; I either get bored playing a new one or can't be bothered to install 50 community patches to play an old one.
Abu Antar
NWN series seem to be really good from recommendations here and across the codex. My only reluctance is that D&D is made for party based combat so it might be impossible to progress after some time.
Yosharian Falksi KeighnMcDeath
Because its better. At least, its always seemed that way to me. Its more ''real'' than TB. TB is a step closer to immersion breaking because you look down an think none of this would happen like this in real life, whereas in RT you progress without one aspect of the game being paused and drawn out due to technical limitations. Its like exploration, how would you feel if exploration was turn based?

Yaz

Learned

Yeah, no worries, man. I am fishing this thread for some new titles to try as well... speaking of which.

I did give Inquisitor a try and I have to say that after about 20 hours the game picks up. Definitely a slow beginning but I think it will have enough for one good thorough playthrough which, considering the price, is quite good.

deama

Prophet
Thanks for another game I haven't heard of, will look into evil Islands. Tyranny is going to be free on the EGS so I'll check that out as well. Pathfinder looks too modern for me though, too clean and DOTA-like. Although I don't know anything about the board game so it may be better than I expect. DD looks beautiful to me graphically, but my brother who's played the beginning has told there are plenty of ways to lock yourself out of being able to progress by doing one quest before another or killing one guy before taking a quest from him.
Not sure which part he's on about, none of the main quest npcs are easy to kill at all, and I don't recall any parts in the beginning that even allow you to kill main quest npcs. I don't recall anything about locking yourself from doing side quests by doing other side quests either that's different to how morrowind does it.
The best description I can give you is morrowind, if you didn't like morrowind's style where they could allow you to kill off main quest npcs, or sometimes side quests would force you to kill off an npc that had a side quest, then you might have a problem, but I don't recall it being as bad in DD as it was in morrowind.

Young_Hollow

Liturgist
Not sure which part he's on about, none of the main quest npcs are easy to kill at all, and I don't recall any parts in the beginning that even allow you to kill main quest npcs. I don't recall anything about locking yourself from doing side quests by doing other side quests either that's different to how morrowind does it.
The best description I can give you is morrowind, if you didn't like morrowind's style where they could allow you to kill off main quest npcs, or sometimes side quests would force you to kill off an npc that had a side quest, then you might have a problem, but I don't recall it being as bad in DD as it was in morrowind.
He's following a wiki to make sure he didn't lock himself from progressing. I'll ask how many he's seen, if any.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Its like exploration, how would you feel if exploration was turn based?

I try a variety of genre and styles. TB exploration? Oh, there are games like that.... rather a lot of games i believe.

deama

Prophet
He's following a wiki to make sure he didn't lock himself from progressing. I'll ask how many he's seen, if any.
Didn't know you could have fun playing games by following a wiki lol.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I started to follow the Tensei wiki and IF wiki. Lots of jap games i never heard of just from those two franchises alone. Fandom or mobygames, or hardcore 101 is probably a better choice though.

Albeit... codex led me to those... so hmmmm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom