Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

lightbane

Arcane
A sequel to that game with a weirdo-looking Sora clone finally comes!
Not that I liked the original or the character anyway.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Sho SO ZETTA SLOW Minamimoto? Even the lollipop guy is back. No wonder they were ramping up with an animu adaptation of the original.

In a tweet with a new draw by Nomura , he said this new game is sequel to the anime. So the anime gonna have extra content.

IceyD

Scholar
JRPGs on sale at BestBuy:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Faye/Sleepwalker, some kind of action RPG-ish. They say this is developed by 6 people for 4 years.

ss_5188aff3ea0765dba9ce33eb9e5983f49df7406c.600x338.jpg
ss_10b4cb3865c83753e320c76e5d802eef21c5a95f.600x338.jpg

"When you are flying in the sky of a vast world, swimming in the sea, defeating enemies,
or searching for your roots, what do you really know...?"
Faye/Sleepwalker is a vast world of exploration and hectic battles.
Enjoy a high speed action game and the development of an interesting story in an open world.

Battles are divided into two modes, a normal mode with easy control of actions,
and the sleepwalk mode with high-speed actions and warp attacks,
allowing you to experience new sensations of actions.

01Overview.gif

■Combo
02Combo.gif

■Battle
03Action.gif

■Quest
04Quest.gif

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Hold up, senpai. EIGHTH protagonist?

The story written by the seven protagonists has evolved further with the addition of a new protagonist, Fuse.
The long-awaited scenario for the new main character "Fuse" will be added.
You can play by clearing any of the scenarios of the other 7 main characters.
The scenario is handled by Akitoshi Kawazu, general director of the "Saga" series, and Benny Matsuyama, a game writer and novelist, and a new song by Kenji Ito, a composer, will liven up the Fuse edition.

Also fleshing out events:

In the "Asselus" edition, there were some events that were not implemented at that time.
By implementing those phantom events, you can enjoy the story of Asselus more deeply.
:greatjob:

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Is SaGa Frontier good? I like this Hughes fellow but I never knew anything about SaGa in general.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Is SaGa Frontier good? I like this Hughes fellow but I never knew anything about SaGa in general.
Each character comes with their own plot, exploration is open and the world is fun to explore. Also the prerendered backgrounds look nice.

The character system is cool especially because the different types of characters ("human", robot, monster) work differently, the full party eventually grows big which means you have a big choice of who you want to use in combat, and the combat system works. Unfortunately the composition of encounters other than boss fights is heavily scaled to the power of your party. The boss fights and few other not scaled encounters are quite sparse although they can be very fun.

I recommend the game unless you think you can't tolerate the scaling.

Siveon

Bot
Depends on how hard it scales/how difficult it gets. If it gets to a point where it's harder to fight off mobs rather than bosses than yeah I'd rage quit. If it's tolerable I'll probably get super into it, the look of this game is... I love it. And the remaster isn't godawful which is the opposite of what I expect from Square.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Most trash encounters are easy anyway, although' I think that in a same location some encounters, typically later in the dungeon, are meant to be harder while still scaling so these particular ones can be a little bit harder. I never faced a situation where I thought bosses were weaker than trash mobs, bosses simply test your party which means getting stronger is not useless, and boss fights are very cool in the game, better than in your average game, but it is one more reason to wonder why other enemies don't simply test your party without scaling too, it's completely ridiculous to fight some of the strongest enemies but if you unequip your robot then you would fight some of the weakest ones. Unlimited SaGa has its retarded wheel and its dumb HP/LP system (nothing wrong with Saga Frontier's HP/LP system) but Unlimited SaGa also has more "bosses" (I mean fixed enemies, which don't scale) than SaGa Frontier, and ultimately I'm not certain which of the game has weakest combat, but what's certain is that I still like both games anyway.

Derringer

Prophet
Depends on how hard it scales/how difficult it gets. If it gets to a point where it's harder to fight off mobs rather than bosses than yeah I'd rage quit. If it's tolerable I'll probably get super into it, the look of this game is... I love it. And the remaster isn't godawful which is the opposite of what I expect from Square.
If you grind too much you'll get raped by boss-tier enemy encounters every battle, the game is geared towards playing chicken with quicksaves to collect treasure and abusing DCS to scale the difficulty down in your favor, or abusing game-breaking bugs. The battle animations are fucking good flashy shit and go well with Ito's music.

JDR13

Arcane
You guys are assuming the encounters are going to be the same in the remaster. It's possible they adjust the scaling to alleviate those issues.

IceyD

Scholar
Your December JRPG releases:

- Shiren the Wanderer (Switch, PC)
- Dragon Quest XI S (PS4, Xbox One, PC)
- Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon & the Blade of Light (Switch)
- Brigandine: The Legend of Runersia (PS4)
- COLLECTION of SaGa FINAL FANTASY LEGEND (Switch)

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Good job releasing a direct sequel without the base game in PC ATLUS ha ha ha. Very funny.

Or maybe maybe, this means P5 Royale Soon on PC?!

:desu:

Siveon

Bot
Good job releasing a direct sequel without the base game in PC ATLUS ha ha ha. Very funny.
I'm like 90% sure it's a case of the Atlus main devs having no desire/ability to port games on PC. Scramble was made by Toei who know how to port to PC (more or less).

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
El Shaddai may be coming to Steam, interview with the creator Sawaki Takeyasu: (Japanese) https://www.gamespark.jp/article/2018/08/06/82802.html

He's working on a PC build with the programmer of the original release and currently fixing some nasty bugs. But sounds like actual release is not quite confirmed yet, in terms of publishing and things.

After more than 2 years: https://www.gematsu.com/2020/12/el-shaddai-ascension-of-the-metatron-coming-to-pc

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron coming to PC
Release date not yet announced.

Crim will release a PC version of the 2011-released action game El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron via Steam, game director and company head Sawaki Takeyasu said on Twitter.

“It’s currently in development, but since I imagine people would like to know its progress, I’d like to share its status from time to time,” Takeyasu said of the Steam release. “Also, since the hardware has changed from Xbox and PS3 to PC, we’re making things like a launcher that doubles as an options for switching between English and Japanese voice-overs and text.”

El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron first launched for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in April 2011 in Japan, followed by August 2011 in North America and September 2011 in Europe.

He hopes to release this on the game's 10th anniversary.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom