Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

fork

I'm replaying the original PS1 Resident Evils (through PS2). They're still better than everything that followed*, including RE4, RE7 and REmakes 2 and 3. My favourite is still the very first, but RE2 is gaining ground; it's still atmospheric as fuck, despite the larger enemy count and focus on action, it has good puzzles, great soundtrack, better production values etc. The only reasons I still prefer the original are probably parts of the soundtrack and memories, back then I expected RE2 to be something which it turned out not to be (but REmake eventually did!), which is hardly the game's fault. RE3 is still a distant third, but I'm growing more fond of that as well.

Planning to replay REmake, Zero, Veronica and REmakes 2 and 3 again after that.

*with the exception of REmake, which is great of course. One of the few remakes in gaming history that respects and actually improves on the original in some areas.

Then I kinda got into Stardew Valley. I still think it's more busy work than it is a game, but I somewhat started to enjoy it. I just don't care that much about minmaxing shit anymore, and it started to help me calm down a bit after that. So it's cool, recommended.

I'm also wasting time on Risk of Rain, which is very cool for a run or two. It's a bit too much RNG-dependent in my opinion, but unsuccessful runs are quick and gameplay is kinda nice and exciting when the runs get longer, so who cares.

And Valkyria Chronicles 4, which is okay. Story is utter shit of course and I started to skip it, but the gameplay is good enough to keep me going. It's a bit simplistic and kinda easy, but I keep hoping it gets meatier (which it probably won't).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ivan

Arcane
Latter half of my 2020 playing:

Hades
:5/5:
A fun, breezy dungeon crawler that draws depth from its combat modifiers that are randomized with each run. Very rarely did I ever feel like I got screwed by the RNG and that was why I failed a run. The combat on the base difficulty is very forgiving, most enemies are quite slow and don't dole out much damage. There are plenty of modifiers to play with once you finish your first run which can spice things up for sure. What's most surprising to me is how the story and character work is handled. With each new run you experience new bits of story or background. I've yet to hear a single repeated line or anecdote throughout my playtime. The music is pretty good, kind of samey for my taste. The art is gorgeous and the voicework is top class.

Just when I thought I was finished, the character work, weapons, and progression keep pulling me back in. It's genuinely astounding how much dialogue is tucked behind not only the boon system, but the gift giving as well. I can't believe I'm still unearthing new content after so many hours of playtime. Not only that, but the characters even react to the pact of punishments which is just fantastic. The amount of thought of put into every facet of this is just admirable. My GOTY for sure.

Nioh :2/5: liked it
Nioh is a dungeon crawler with a deep combat system and Diablo-style loot. The combat is very punishing. In terms of surviavbility, it feels like playing Twink Souls (1 to 2 hits and you're dead). I didn't bother/care for the loot system, so I'm sure I missed out on good loot b/c I didn't repeat a single level with that intention. I played every fresh new level that presented itself, and I think that's what made my path particularly more difficult. Anyway, I really enjoyed fighting the humanoids, but some of the larger enemies were a pain b/c of their erratic moves and some hitbox complaints (but that typically comes with this type of game anyway). A particular gripe goes toward large enemies who summon projectiles, but whose character model is so large they can often obfuscate the actual projectiles, sometimes then even go through them to get you if you are in the flank. In the end, I'm glad I picked this up. When you're playing successfully, the combat feels awesome. I never did do much of parrying, again since 1 hit would pretty much be enough to put me at death's door. I had a blast beating some of the humanoid bosses, some of the more monstrous variety were just painful, but still leave me feeling satisfied that I bested them. In sum, a definitely mixed experience with some good highs, and very common lows.

Gears Tactics :3/5:

A solid tactics game in the vein of Firaxis' X-Com titles, with some notable differences and drawbacks. There is no tech three, no home base where you will manage supplies. Itemization are very unintresting "+2% damage" variety. There is a 3 "move" system where you can shoot, move, or use special abilities (buffs, nades, save AP for next turn). Map variety was pretty lacking, which became more pronounced here b/c it stretches its campaign over a long series of side missions. All in all, a solid, lite X-Com. I did have some issues with the visual effects: sometimes the scene can get so crowded with red, it's hard to tell where overwatch ends, and an AOE begins.

Wasteland 3 :4/5:

Wasteland 3 is a great iterative sequel to W2. The writing and general consistency of tone is smoother this time around. I still have a lot of fun with the progression, acquisition of loot, and exploration. One big setback is that you are no longer able to manually use skills during exploration. One of my favorite bits of W2 was this point-n-click adventure game feel that the exploration had. I loved that you could TRY to use skills in exploration to solve quests, it granted the game a greater sense of mystery that rewarded the player's curiosity. This time around skill usage is much more automated and much less surprising. That said, I am glad they removed the skill usage cooldown, here it's a pass/fail animation that doesn't take nearly as long. Frankly I see myself going for a 2nd playthrough b/c the whole experience feels smoother, more expedited, and as mentioned before, much more consistent than W2 which felt like a game of 2 halves.

Spiritfarer :2/5: dropped it due to shit progression
A cozy game with gorgeous art and music. It's a management where you fare spirits who are ready for their final end. Each companion has a quest that is locked behind a progression system. It's this that eventually wore me down and made me drop the game, it's a shame b/c it really has a lot going for it. The art reminded me of Okami/Banner saga, the music was ambient, beautiful. I decided to stop playing b/c I knew that the progression would only continute to sour my experience.

Nier Automata :4/5: more than the sum of its parts

It's interesting to see a Platinum game where the combat is in service to the story. Not having played the original, Nier: Automata lived up to my expectations of a tale of existential androids. The animation behind the combat and movement is excellent, but you quickly learn that the real focus is on the character work and the narrative (i.e. all weapon types have the same attack pattern). While all sidequests are functionally fetch quests, they each reveal a little more about the world and the conflict at hand. I was more than happy to complete them whenever they popped up. The voice acting is excellent, the script is to the point and never did I sense any melodramatic cheese. In terms of complaints: b/c the game uses a leveling system, the combat can feel a bit superfluous and eventually redundant. I liked the idea of showing the story through different perspectives as you reach different endings. The finale was satisfying and hopeful.

Creaks :5/5:
Creaks is Amanita design's stab at a puzzle/platformer, much like Playdead's games Limbo and Inside. It starts off very much like Silent Hill 4/Alice in Wonderland. You discover a hole in your wall that leads to this huge structure. As you descend, you come to meet a small crew of characters that need your help with a problem. Puzzles are presented in linear fashion, with every ten or so introducing a new enemy or puzzle mechanic. I was never truly stumped, but there were one or two puzzles that I had to take a break and come back to. It amazes me how well of a job Amanita does to develop its characters through animations and noises alone. If I had to levy one criticism against the game, it would be that there are a few puzzles that rely on player timing that can lead to some buggy results (not running back in time might cause a visual glitch, which may give some the false idea that their idea is wrong, but really they just need to execute it faster). Really though, I find it very hard to find much to complain bout. The game has a great pace, introduces new ideas consistently, and is always a sheer joy to look at. Christ, I haven't even mentioned the sound.
Impeccable sound work and a fantastic score that adapts to your progress in each puzzle.

Another Metroid 2 Remake :4/5:

An excellent 2D Metroid. Sure, the combat doesn't feel as puzzle-like as it does in the excellent Prime series, but the exploration here and general pacing is fantastic. You know when you're nearly done done with one zone area, the game consistently surprises you with how it throws its bosses at you. Great stuff indeed! Bosses aside from the Metroid were particularly great, also loved how the in-game teleporting is handled. And a fantastic ending to boot with the baby metroid <3 !

Emulation Catchup:

Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door :2/5:

I was pretty disappointed by how much I disliked much of the design of the game. I don't think the Hub design did it any favors either. The combat was boring, the backtracking was tedious, the dialogue wore out its welcome (I blame my ocd for having to read each NPC's unique quip. I wonder how the original holds up if I replayed it. I have pretty warm memories of it, but this, no thank you.

A Link Between Worlds :3/5:

It felt like a fresh take on 2D Zelda, very much a spiritual sequel to Link of the Past. I enjoyed the freedom of tackling the dungeons at my own pace, great focus on puzzles and exploration. Not a fan of the item "renting" system, as it made the rewards for said exploration very underwhelming.

Slimu

Augur
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Stirring Abyss :4/5:
I am having fun with this underwater XCOM2 clone, even though there's nothing really special about this. Playing on normal, the first half is a bit hard because your guys can die quickly, but after you level them up and buy some mutations, gets a bit easier (but not easy). I liked that the Enigma Board (the research tree) has good/useful bonuses. I played for 8h and I think I am ~70% done. I like playing a focused game which doesn't need tens of hours to complete.

Noita :3/5:
I'm not really feeling the magic. I played for 3-4h and while it's fun to see the chaos generated by some of the actions, it doesn't motivate me to try to get to the bottom. Now I'm only using it to teach my child to use the mouse by shooting at monsters.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night :5/5:
Never really played a 2D Castlevania and I'm only 5h in, but I like it. Some of the monster design is a bit weak, but overall the game if fun.

Chronicon :3/5:
A decent Diablo 2 clone, but I got bored with it. I may return to it in the future, when I'll want some mindless fun.

Krivol

Magister
Underrail :5/5:

After few unsuccessful attempts to get into this game finally it worked! And this game is just great. To anyone who tried and bounced back - try again, get some builds or even cheats if you need (my first playthrough was with carry weight cheat, but it let me learn what parts of equipment are worth to take) , learn the game and enjoy. It's really worth it.

Great system with possibilities of builds.
Nice story - lack of humour but writing is servicable.
Good graphics direction - game is not pretty, but is easy to follow and atmospheric
World is freaking huge! And it makes sense.
Odity system is great idea! (still played mostly with classic)
Crafting and itemization - wow, that's just... wow! You want heavy gun with insane calibre? Sure, but it will be slow. Maybe something light and fast? Or something in between? Same with armours - you can custimize your gear via crafting, focus on heat defence or flexibility and stealth bonus.

It just detronized Atom RPG in my "best modern rpgs" list (mind you Atom is still 5/5 game IMO)

feeling nostalgic so im firing up stalker soc for the umpteenth time; vanilla of course

first time playing with a ssd and cutting edge graphixxxx so everything seems much more quicker in the loading dept.

got rid of the head bob, saw wolf, grabbed the decent suit from the roof of one of the houses at the camp and now i'm ready to initiate one of the most wondrous moments in gaming:

picking a fight with the guardpost down the road thereby causing a HUGE organic firefight with the locals.

he hee i hide on a roof and watch proceedings.

and the loot is great too.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm done with Slime Rancher. It was a relaxing romp. Collecting slime poop is less stressful than I thought. I could keep on playing, but I've honestly done everything that I want in the game.

I'll go back to Lumines on PS Vita as my chilling game, until I find the next one.

Other than that, I'm still playing the stuff I've posted about earlier in the thread.

Yakuza 5 is the game that I am currently spending the most time with. If it wasn't for Haruka's dancing sessions, this would be my favorite game in the series by a far margin. It will still be my favorite when it's all and done, though. I just love roaming the cities, especially at night. Doing side stories and sub stories, playing (some) mini games and finding revealations. Despite the annoying dancing parts, I like everything else so much. The game is great and I heavily recommend it, ONLY if you can stomach J-drama and long-ass cut scenes, because some of them are going to go on forever.

JDR13

Arcane
feeling nostalgic so im firing up stalker soc for the umpteenth time; vanilla of course

first time playing with a ssd and cutting edge graphixxxx so everything seems much more quicker in the loading dept.

got rid of the head bob, saw wolf, grabbed the decent suit from the roof of one of the houses at the camp and now i'm ready to initiate one of the most wondrous moments in gaming:

picking a fight with the guardpost down the road thereby causing a HUGE organic firefight with the locals.

No mods whatsoever? Why not at least some bugfixes?

Bigg Boss

Arcane
That is true but the world feels real as a result. More so when I was like 9 or 10 but still good.

Cael

Arcane
LoM is superb for 1 playthrough. The value diminishes as the number of playthroughs increase because of the static map. The music, graphics, RT combat, etc. were brilliant for its time. I loved it when I first played it, and still have a copy on my hard drive.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I think they just need to remake it but I hate even saying that phrase at this point with a straight face.

No mods whatsoever? Why not at least some bugfixes?

tried most of them; i always come back to vanilla for some reason; its runs just fine

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Outward. I suck at combat, even if I'm expected to. Shield bros unite.
The game's different than I expected. Fewer things to do all around, fewer enemies, no clear farming spots, and it's not very game-y. I tried to go into dungeons that were not the original trog one and they were all one or two room caves.

For the first 5-10h I was scared of everything, now I sneak and run from them. I made it from the starting city to Monsoon and would have only had 4-5 encounters on the way.

I realised the game scales with gold, so I'm trying to figure out the best ways of acquiring more. Feels grindy just to get access to dungeons, I hope the Monsoon questline helps in some way.

I also saw that you can only pursue 3 classes, and class trainers are in cities miles apart. Not knowing what the available classes are is a bit frustrating, it's tempting to use a wiki or guide, which I guess will detract from the discovery fun.

Any non-spoilery advice?

Gamezor

Learned
I had my fill of Thea and now am trying a bunch of different fighting games to find one to get decent at. I’ve never gotten into a fighting game before.

Thea is cool but it seems like it’s one of those games where playing optimally is important and is also a not fun experience of tediously min maxing crafting, equipment, and party composition. Plus the goddamn food bonuses. Also tons of grinding easy encounters on autoresolve. The interface is only adequate for managing all of what are essentially spreadsheets. RPS is a bunch of insufferable cucks, but I found this to be an accurate review. https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/12/10/thea-the-awakening-review/

I should probably do a play through on easy where I can just cruise.

Admittedly I have not solved the game so it could be my impression of what you need to do is wrong. But I doubt it.

Perkel

Arcane
Tried Warhammer total war 2 for few hours. Plays like poor man's strategy for plastic figures nerds and works like shit on my top end rig which is achievement considering i saw games on unity put out by some asset swappers that work better than this.

Also wtf with DLC ? They give Paradox run for money for how scummy they are.

Ivan

Arcane
Doom: Eternal

Not sure why just yet, but this feels substantially better than what I remember from 2016 Doom. Doom Eternal does an amazing job of creating fun playspaces that encourage smart tactical play. Fantastic fun, fantastic sound, incredible orgy of violence when it all comes together. IDK if it's the movement, the dash, perhaps the bolder level design that makes use of your dashes and monkey bars. Having a blast with it so far, can definitely see myself replaying this on Nightmare once I finish the first run. I'm most likely gonna wait for the complete edition before I purchase it (it's currently free on gamepass pc, without DLC1).
100.webp

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Ace Combat 7 and its DLC ,it's the first game of the series I played.I am not a flight sim enthusiast and I was just looking for some arcade action and this one delivers.It's not some hardcore game but a nice action game,graphics are good,the airplanes available are nice,the missions are good,the story is ok but ti's just there to move you along.Recommended

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Finished Ace Combat 7 and its DLC ,it's the first game of the series I played.I am not a flight sim enthusiast and I was just looking for some arcade action and this one delivers.It's not some hardcore game but a nice action game,graphics are good,the airplanes available are nice,the missions are good,the story is ok but ti's just there to move you along.Recommended
If you enjoyed AC7, try AC5 and AC6.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom