Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Jagged Alliance 2 Help

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
So, is there a way to make house to house combat possible without heavy casualties? I did a little research and found out that 1.13 has fixed suppressive fire function and it's already closer to what I seek.

While i will absolutely not recommend to install 1.13 (Straciatella is the way to go, almost mandatory even) for a first playthrough, it adds a lot things like moving sideways weapon raised so you take corners facing the right side and avoid being interrupted (most time...).
You can also open doors from one square from the side and not only form the front. Otherwise you can use smoke grenade
Beware 1.13 though not because it's buggy (always been very stable for me) but because it's very unbalanced on many levels.
The good thing is 1.13 is almost totally adjustable but it requires lot of "work" and you must know what you are doing.
Edit : in case it's not clear 1.13 is awesome, i love it and i will never play without now, it's really not noob's friendly, like at all.

I couldn't agree more. 1.13 is great for veterans, but is so jam-packed with features it's very overwhelming to start out with. I haven't tried Straciatella, but if it basically simply makes the original game playable on Win10 on original resolutions, this is absolutely the way to go first time around. 1.13 loses some of the simple charm of the original, people should experience the game as it was intended by the developers. I absolutely hate watching first-timers launch the game in 1080p and control a group of tiny ants around the map. The game was never intended to be played that way.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Well, I liberated the entire Arulco with the team of my IMP Richie Aprile, Ira (95 mrk by the lategame, she headshots people like crazy now), Dimitry and Hamous. I reached Meduna and realized that there's no point in clearing all sectors - they are full of enemy troops, full of tanks which require hoarding of LAWs or mortar ammo to destroy and the clearing itself gives me nothing apart from the satisfaction. Since the goal is to cull Deidranna I get with the plan to reach her palace with the minimal fighting and do it by night - since I have NVG and hearing devices for all my people. I reach the hedge maze and here where the progress stops - the place is full of camping blackshirts who do not move under any circumstances - gunfire, explosions, no, they just sit there and wait for my people. I turn the corner, they win the initiative and my people are slaughtered instantly. If I understand the JA2 initiative system correctly, I need to retreat and grind my people to lvl 10 so they will get the upper hand on blackshirts most of the time and this is not something I want to do (my fault for not hiring any top-tier mercs, I have like 1.5 mil by now but gimmick run is gimmick run).

So I restarted and created a Stealth expert IMP Paulie Gualtieri. This shit is damn OP, I fight exclusively by night and exclusively alone by now - so far Drassen, Chitzena, Cambria and random patrols were not a problem. I don't even use "break light death trap" mechanic, I just spot guys, fill them with lead, retreat and come from different direction hugging walls and corners. Although looking for the last guy is tedious, they tend to stray away and ignore any noise.

cruelio

Savant
Put all your mercs in a building with windows and fire a shot into the wall. Then shoot every enemy that streams over one at a time. Congrats you’ve mastered JA2.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Ambushed enemy patrol near the Cambria - 1 vs 18 redshirts. Not a problem. Vanilla enemy AI is really suicidal, they just wander around letting me pick them one by one; but I greatly enjoyed that particular fight. I whack one particular soldier, two of his buddies come to check - one from the north, the other from the south: I'm sandwiched but I'm also lying still in the bushes so they don't see me and walk away. Sweet stuff. The line of sight and cover buttons are top-tier QoL stuff right over here.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Anyway, finished my stealthy run. Hired Shadow around Cambria, captured the entire Arulco and pushed for the capital. I traveled along the shoreline, then I encountered the first sector occupied by the enemy and bam - I picked spawnpoint right beside the enemy tank. It's fine since I left the location on the same turn. I didn't engage in any fights in the Airport, travelling along the beach between the mines. Now, hedge maze - and with stealth it's fun; the location really lends itself for stealthy approach. Cleared all the opposition except the tanks - I wanted to blow up some for lulz, but the game says "path is blocked" despite my guy crawling around the tank without any problems. Now, I cleared the bunker but no Deidranna around. I went up to the palace, was greeted by the Joe - he starts combat and of course he wins the initiative all the times. It was the only time I was unavoidable shot at in the entire Meduna. Cleared the palace and was left only with the throne room. I blown up the door, shot just one blackshirt - and then for some reason Deidranna ran outside to personally welcome me - and die right there. Really stupid move.

But one thing that kills my enjoyment of the game is the stupid initiative system. Example:

K8VQ8DMZH64.jpg

There one last blackshirt camping in the area where the cursor is. The firefight happened on the Paulie side and it's logical that enemy expects me there. So I send Shadow to flank: open the closed door, remove the mines. Enemy should be surprised, right? No, of course blackshirt wins the initiative and shots my guy. All the times.
Now, what actually worked is even more bollocks. I sent Paulie a little back, prone, and made some blind shots through the window at approximate position of the blackshirt; what this means in reality is that I effectively compromised my position, but in the game this allowed Paulie to open the door and win the initiative.

I started another run and since I was interested in how enemy AI works I activated cheat-mode and show all command. Well, this is really bollocks. Regular redshirt, around Drassen, stands with his back turned to me. My guy crawls up to him; as soon as we are in each other field of view redshirt wins the initiative, does one-eighty and headshots my guy. Another case: my guy is hidden prone in the bushes, looking in the direction of coming enemy. Redshirt casually walks forward right in my sights, spots my guy and makes a first shot. I checked, my guy and redshirts had the same range of night vision, so no "who spotted whom first" game.

So, there's no actual directed field of vision - every character is essentially can see in 360 radius; no "last known position" as in Silent Storm, and the direction from which you come is not relevant to initiative rolls since it's all about the stats and level. This works in opposite direction too: a lot of times I was coming in from the same direction as several times before and still, enemies weren't able to shoot me first because my guy had higher stats. Somewhere in the midgame I realized that changing the approach of stealth - flanking enemies - is redundant.

Not to say that the system actually punishes initiative (other meaning of the word) and favors campers. You can go forward and risk to be winged by loosing initiative roll, or just sit tight, wait for the enemy to come and enjoy interrupts.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
Put all your mercs in a building with windows and fire a shot into the wall. Then shoot every enemy that streams over one at a time. Congrats you’ve mastered JA2.
You meant "without" windows? I know that you are joking but i'll point one thing out anyway. Even if you want to use this exploit, how many places, other than the one square of Drassen, are there that qualify?

pidstuff

Educated
It's always good to play vanilla first to know what mods you'd like to install after.
Also, don't forget to get Fox because she's sultry.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I love it when people start asking, 'How should I play? What difficulty? Which options? Which build for first time?'

Come on kid, have some balls.
If you're talking to me you're way off and on your own now, I have no problems with the difficulty. I can make a stealthy Imp or hire some stealth dudes and shank enemy soldiers without even getting hit, but I'm not very interested in that kind of gameplay. I can and actually do away with the sniping, headshotting people from far away. The problem is that it is not the kind of gameplay I want from a tactical game.

7Zz9Lq1tmYM.jpg

Not very tactical, eh?

Try ToEE then

You can do fun creative stuff like long range trips with a chain proccing automatic sneak attack AoOs from nearby characters with reach weapons etc

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
I mean best tactical RPGs imo are JA2, ToEE, Dark Sun, Fallout Tactics, KotC I-II, etc

I am playing JA2 with 1.13, revolvers are supposed to have Fan The Hammer (burst ability), but I just looted a Ruger Redhawk from a dead enemy, and after equipping it, the Burst Mode button is greyed out. Wtf am I doing wrong?

The UI for this game, btw, is like getting an enema in the middle of getting a blowjob from a crocodile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom