Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Cyberpunk 2077 Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone already preloaded? Try this and report back :P Probably a troll comment tho

The game can be started by changing the date on the computer to December 10 and turning off the Internet.
Fuck, did I guess correctly? :lol:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I keep having the impression that the game's development re-started from scratch like 3 years ago. You can't spend 8 years in development and have such unpolished product unless you restarted everything down the middle. The staggering difference in tone between the initial teaser and the first real trailer suggests as much.

I vaguely recall that this is correct, and that they went back to the drawing board in a big way at least once. This is tied in with the rumours of CDPR having enthusiastic but inept and bumbling management, which burns out starry-eyed talent at a rate of knots, relies on horrendous crunch time to finish games, indulges in regular total wipes and ground-up redesign, etc.

I don't know how true that is (and it's been denied by some people who've worked there too), but it would make sense of what we're seeing. It may be the case that TW3 was the last time they were able to get away with that style of doing things and that it's the end of the road for CDPR in the sense that they've run out of goodwill and brilliant fresh talent to exploit in that way.

On CDPR's side of the argument, their defense has been that they want things perfect, and they'll do whatever it takes, re-do things as many times as they need to, in order to make great games, and they expect that people who work for them will feel the same way.

It won't change almost completely static non interactive world and suffocatingly linear quest design though. It really is Witcher 3 with guns only worse somehow
I liked witcher 3, thou i agree that it not quite an RPG (are these called Action-RPG nowadays?), sidequests were engaging enough to keep me going.
If this is basically the same thing, but with gameplay that has an ounce of challenge and variety it's good enough.
But they did overhype this shit, so a lot of people will get their assess exploded with dissapointment on release.

Shadowfang

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
From the little i have seen i would definitely play it, but never for the asking price.
Since the hype had 0 effect on me, i am going to wait a couple of years before trying it.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm watching the 3 hours leak.
A couple of things I notice :
* Sponge bullets enemies are real.
* Some unforgivable bugs.

But nothing that can't be ironed out. If you do select the few moments were something is off and make a fun compilation, sure, everyone will laugh, but the overall impression I am having right now is extremely positive.

You can show shitty not working moments of every game, make a compilation video, and then even Fallout 76 would look bad.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The codex never ceases to amuse me. I find it really cute how we have a little enclave of special posters here who are not interested in the game at all but are just coming to screech about SJWs, trannies, "the Left" and whatnot. Like the reverse of what they are screeching against Totally self-unaware as well. :lol:

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The codex never ceases to amuse me. I find it really cute how we have a little enclave of special posters here who are not interested in the game at all but are just coming to screech about SJWs, trannies and whatnot. Like the reverse of what they are screeching against Totally self-unaware as well. :lol:

It's almost impossible to separate those things these days though, since most corporate activity today is perforce "woke" - it has to be, otherwise people are ostracized, lost their jobs, etc. In a trope: the HR department is the modern Stasi.

And that very much affects the quality of how things are made. There's a vast difference between something made by enthusiastic autists hired on the basis of performative ability, and something made by diversity hires on the basis of conformity to ideological dogma. (e.g. a while ago there was a kerfuffle about air traffic controllers in the US being hired not on merit but on racial quotas - thankfully, the politicized hiring was reversed in that case. But you get the idea.)

Last edited:

odrzut

Arcane

But nothing that can't be ironed out. If you do select the few moments were something is off and make a fun compilation, sure, everyone will laugh, but the overall impression I am having right now is extremely positive.

You can show shitty not working moments of every game, make a compilation video, and then even Fallout 76 would look bad.

So, basically like Witcher 3 on release (and we haven't seen Witcher 3 leaks before day-1 patch).

Did you mean Fallout 76 BTW? Cause the sentence as written implies Falout 76 is actually good?

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
BTW, does anyone have any idea as to exactly why, is this game so overhyped? And supposedly the greatest and biggest game evar?

I think not even Red Dead Redemption 2 was even 10% as hyped, and that was coming from every normie's favorite Rockstar Games.

It's actually not even close.

Red Dead 2 a "survival game"? Maybe in the eyes of players so retarded that going to the shop for some booze and potato chips and returning back home successfuly is an epic adventure of navigation by stars and survival in the wilderness on par with The Revenant.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

OK, I watched quite a bit of the stream, here are my preliminary conclusions:

- the car damage model is the biggest disappointment, you cannot shoot out the tires as the vehicles seem to have a single HP pool, if you keep shooting tires long enough the whole vehicle will explode - this is some next level retardation and absolutely unacceptable in 2020
- close combat actually isn’t that bad (nowhere as good as in Riddick for example though), biggest disappointment here is lack of visible damage to various body parts (ie there are some blood sprays, but know lasting damage to the face etc)
- gunplay sux, the bullet sponge enemies make the guns feel highly unsatisfying and the AI is pretty bad (enemies might get in cover and then ignore you if they don’t have a full line of sight, so you can shoot at them without them reacting)
- swimming is in, platforming is so-so (you can climb to a lot of places, but there seem to be arbitrary limits to it, some locations have a bad design - the guy playing jumped down to a place that was impossible to climb out of and had to reload)
- stealth seems to be OK, you can use hacking to create distractions, AI is not stellar by any means, but this seems to be a way to enjoy the game while safely ignoring its worst aspects

I am a massive stealth fag, so game might be OK for me. The car stuff is sooo bad I find it hard to believe, but hopefully this could be easily patched/moded. Unless the AI and gunplay in general receive serious overhaul, this will suck as a shooter.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
The codex never ceases to amuse me. I find it really cute how we have a little enclave of special posters here who are not interested in the game at all but are just coming to screech about SJWs, trannies and whatnot. Like the reverse of what they are screeching against Totally self-unaware as well. :lol:

It's almost impossible to separate those things these days though, since most corporate activity today is perforce "woke" - it has to be, otherwise people are ostracized, lost their jobs, etc. In a trope: the HR department is the modern Stasi.

And that very much affects the quality of how things are made. There's a vast difference between something made by enthusiastic autists hired on the basis of performative ability, and something made by diversity hires on the basis of conformity to ideological dogma. (e.g. a while ago there was a kerfuffle about air traffic controllers in the US being hired not on merit but on racial quotas - thankfully, the politicized hiring was reversed in that case. But you get the idea.)

Let me tell how how to separate those things:

Don't get so triggered. Is it so hard?

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

So, basically like Witcher 3 on release (and we haven't seen Witcher 3 leaks before day-1 patch).

Did you mean Fallout 76 BTW? Cause the sentence as written implies Falout 76 is actually good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpAGtIdANK4

Kiddin' about FO76.
But yeah, what I'm seeing right now is a lot of good, and some bad shit. The good overwhelms the shit. Still looking forward to it.

And the bad shit I saw looks patchable.

edit : bullet sponge issue is the most damnable problem I've seen. I don't see how they are going to fix this. The game wants to be a RPG, not a FPS, so I guess this is how they do their damage/level calculations and it has this sad consequence. The only other alternative would indeed be the Deus Ex way where your shots would miss, but it would be also super weird in close range. So yeah, I don't know how they could have done better without turning full FPS.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter

- RPG where your combat stats matter
- non-bullet sponge enemies

choose one.

AwesomeButton

Patron
AI is not stellar by any means, but this seems to be a way to enjoy the game while safely ignoring its worst aspects
I am a massive stealth fag, so game might be OK for me. The car stuff is sooo bad I find it hard to believe, but hopefully this could be easily patched/moded. Unless the AI and gunplay in general receive serious overhaul, this will suck as a shooter.
I really don't know much but I guess the AI will struggle throughout the game's lifetime. Enemies in Witcher 3 knew how to surround you and had a few attacks depending on their distance from you. Here they are supposed to be able to use items in their inventory, take cover, navigate more complex spaces, and other stuff which will have been coded from zero. It wouldn't surprise me if Deus Ex in Unreal engine ends up being the one with superior AI.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
This is supposed to be a RPG to some extent. I can pass the game being mediocre in terms of gamepley if delivers in terms of story, setting and C&C. Why there's no leaks about this topic?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

What does "being triggered" have to do with anything I said? If there's a plane crash because someone who's barely literate and incapable of working without supervision was hired as an air traffic controller, did the accident happen because someone was triggered?

Games, or any other, less mission-critical type of corporate product, being badly made for analogous reasons is obviously not life-threatening, but the logic of the relation of ideologically-based hiring to the quality of the final product (as opposed to merit-based hiring) is the same. Are we (as people interested in games) supposed to just ignore that?

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter

What does "being triggered" have to do with anything I said? If there's a plane crash because someone who's barely literate and incapable of working without supervision was hired as an air traffic controller, did the accident happen because someone was triggered?

The case of games, or any other, less mission-critical type of corporate product, are obviously nott life-threatening, but the logic of the relation of ideologically-based hiring to the quality of the final product is the same. Are we (as people interested in games) supposed to just ignore that?

Having a problem with it is because you are triggered.

real fat dicked alpha will just meh it right off.

Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
The game actually supports rape culture - some of the enemies shout stuff like "spread your cheeks" during combat. Cant wait for the twitter hot takes on this!

AwesomeButton

Patron
- RPG where your combat stats matter
- non-bullet sponge enemies

choose one.
Well, CP77 will manage to achieve neither at the same time from the way things are looking.

In my opinion - the root of the problem is going for an open world structure. In Witcher 1 and 2 they had hub areas, and it was an accepted practice to gate areas so the player can't return or can't advance more than intended. This control made it easier to balance the current area vs what the player's power level might be at the time.

Then Skyrim changed mainstream expectations and suddenly if you are not open world, people won't buy your game. I doubt CDPR rewrote their engine to support open world for Witcher 3 just for fun. It makes a branching story and C&C so much more complex, in addition to all the technical complications it carries. But CDPR knew if they want a mainstream hit Witcher 1 or 2's structure wouldn't cut it, they had to present an open world.

In an open world you have to resort to either - "doesn't scale to your level", like Fallout, and then all the normies cry that they are getting wrecked and your game is unplayable, or stats and RPG mechanics that don't really matter so that you remove them as an element in the equation when you are thinking about "how strong the player will be when he gets here". CDPR's solution in Witcher 3 was refusing to scale enemies (except guards and except in NG+), adding token RPG mechanics which made life easier for the designers, while using the main quest so as to guide the player through areas which would be roughly his level, provided he didn't go too completionist, which would make him overlevelled all the time.

This is supposed to be a RPG to some extent. I can pass the game being mediocre in terms of gamepley if delivers in terms of story, setting and C&C. Why there's no leaks about this topic?
Please no spoiler leaks, it's the only value the game can be reasonably expected to hold :)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom