Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Some codexers want to play D&D? DM looking for players

Are you available and interested in this?

• Total voters

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Greetings everyone,

With the lockdown plus the fact that I'm soon moving to an area when I don't know anybody and will lose my current D&D group, I'll have time on my hand to play some D&D.
  • My experience: I have been doing TTRPGs and LARPs for about 18 years now. I started with AD&D2nd, 3rd, 3.5, went to do other stuff (Vampire, wargaming, etc.) then came back to OD&D and 5th about 3 years ago. I've been DMing here and there since the beginning, but much more intensely in the last 3-4 years when I came back.
    • I can DM any editions except 4th (never played or DMed it)
    • I can DM any types of games: closed table, open table, small campaign, high level campaign, etc.
    • I can DM just a bunch of one shots too. I have plenty of small adventures lying around, including 5th stuff like "Yawning Portal"
    • I even had the chance of DMing for money for teens (I am of the opinion this is a retarded concepts and nobody should pay to play D&D)
  • Logistics: The campaign would be online. I am UTC-05 Eastern Time (Canada). Although I could manage to free some time elsewhere during the week depending on the players, my favorite moment would be Saturday morning*.
    • I use discord mostly, with bots for music and dice roll. For dungeon crawling I like to share a FPS view of Grid Cartographer.
    • For more visual players, I can use roll20 also
  • What type of campaign: I am interested in deciding the campaign with the players. It will depend both on availability, number of players and personal interest.
    • I have preference with open table types, but it requires a lot of players so we'll see.
    • I'd like to run a Birthright AD&D2nd campaign*, but I am not married to the idea.
    • I have most proficiency with OD&D and 5th.
    • For 5th, I'm a big fan of Curse of Stradh. I think it's a very well crafted campaign that's great for people that don't know it.
    • For older edition, we could play the "classics", such as Temple of Elemental Evil (at least if you haven't played the video game version), Keep on the Borderlands, Caverns of Thracia, etc.
  • Caveats: Three things about me as a DM you should know.
    • I am francophone (Canada), therefore I have a strong accent in English. If this is unbearable for people, I can write only.
    • I think ERP, sexual fantasy, furry, fetishes, dragonborn, tieflings and bunch of other things are retarded and I will either discouraged you from doing/playing it or outright banning them.
    • I have an old school mentality of "rulings over rules" to maximize speed of play and interesting outcomes, no matter the edition. If you are a "rules lawyer" that cannot bear to see rules getting adapted***, be aware.
* I know it seems like a strange moment, but I really like since it frees up the whole weekend. Nobody does anything on a Saturday morning. West coast USA gets fucked for this, but it opens up Europe as potential player.
** In case we run this, it's also possible for people to play the domain level political campaign even if they cannot chime in for the adventuring portions. Therefore we could have an even bigger pool of players and more fun.
*** I am not saying that I change everything all the time. Rather I'm saying that I prefer to adjust and adapt rules when they are not adequately resolving an ambiguous situation.

Comment below if you are interested, and if so, up to what degree.

EDIT: Although it's not written, I am available for all kinds of TTRPGs actually. Cyberpunk, Shadowrun, Vampire, etc. The only thing is that I have barely if ever played those and definitively never DMed. If the interest is there, I can do it.

EDIT 2:

Here I'll be putting down names of people interested as they come by for maximum clarity and simplicity of tracking.

INTERESTED FOR ASYNCHRONOUS PLAY (either play by post or domain level strategy D&D)
- Catacombs
- Alex
- Grimgravy

INTERESTED FOR SYNCHRONOUS PLAY (exact time to be determined)
- Snorkack
- Alex
- SoupNazy
- Akratus
- Seigneur Locklear
- J_C (in secrets over 4 layers of VPN)
- Night Goat

Last edited:

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Would you consider a PbP game? Perhaps here or on another forum that handles those kinds of games, such as Myth Weavers?

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Would you consider a PbP game? Perhaps here or on another forum that handles those kinds of games, such as Myth Weavers?
Never did PbP as the main mean of driving a campaign. Not saying no or anything, but I haven't considered it yet. I do think PbP is great for "support". For example if we play a domain level campaign where people are regents and lords, the "adventuring stuff" is living over discord while the diplomacy/strategy is over PbP. This 100% for sure.

EDIT: Like I say, I'd be open for people to play this diplomacy game even without being adventurers live.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
The appeal of PbP is players interacting with the game when they can. There's no need for a dedicated block of time to sit on Discord, for example, and play. Everything is done through images and text.

The downside is everything, from combat to dialogue, is dependent on people posting frequently, which can move quickly or slowly. There are people who post multiple times a day here, so active participation might not be an issue.

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
interested, but my schedule is packed and your suggested date is pretty much the only day of the week where I can spend quality time with the missus. You didn't mention the frequency though.

What's "open table"? Something like a west marches style campaign? Have zero familiarity with that, but would be intrigued.

Alex

Arcane
I would love to play a Birthright game; it is one of the D&D settings I've never got to try. I am usually free on Saturday mornings, although I might need to leave at around 11 AM at your local time. So for me it would be better to start earlier if possible, although if my times don't match with other people's schedules, I will be happy to only play on the domain level.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Snorkack I'm open on the scheduling. It was much more a suggestion than a prescription. Yes, open table is the "concept" behind West Marches. My current main campaign is a West Marches campaign. I love that style and I gain some proficiency over the last two years at running one.

Alex Cool. Like I said to snorkack, I'm also opened for other timing. Worst case, we can play earlier. I'm an early guy myself but I know not everyone is. And yes Birthright is damn awesome. I discovered it only last year!

For all:
I'll start editing the main post with availability and so on to see what can happen of that project. Also, if schedule is the problem, then maybe we can just hit the PbP at the domain level and manage games from time to time with an open table format. We'll see.

SoupNazi

I've been looking around for a D&D group for the last year or so locally but due to the situation have been obviously unsuccessful. Saturday mornings Canada time is OK for me, just after lunch there's usually time. Sometimes life does get in the way (surprising to many, I have some) so I would hate to promise 100 percent attendance. But it's one of the most suitable times, even if I would prefer something a bit later so I can have a drink without feeling like an alcoholic.

I have literally zero experience with D&D though unfortunately other than playing some of the D&D based CRPGs. Do have experience roleplaying/larping but don't really know the systems.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm down for some 5th Edition through discord or some such and I've got a flexible schedule. Have almost 50 character concepts I can play. Also a handful of oneshots I could run as replacement sessions if not everyone would be available.

I'd be interested. I haven't done tabletop in years, but I'm well versed in 3.5e and I've done some basic 5th ed. Needless to say I vastly prefer the former, but I imagine it's a hassle for many players nowadays.
I'm EU time but for the time being I can adapt if need be, because I don't have a strict working schedule. Curse of Strahd would be fun I reckon.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm interested but it would be embarassing to have my family seeing that I play PnP RPGs.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
How do you play a game over the interwebz?
Multiple ways. As some people said, you can use a "play by post" for a longer and asynchronous game. This is easier for "domain level" game where it's more about diplomacy and strategy.

Otherwise, Roll20 (online tabletop program to see monsters as sprites and so on) and Discord (sharescreen and bots to roll dice) are what I generally use.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Snorkack Alex SoupNazi Akratus Seigneur Locklear J_C Night Goat

SYNCHRONOUS GROUP

Gentlemen, we have a group of 6, which is a good starting point.

Please answer the following questions (and anyone that wants to jump in too):
  1. What system, if any, do you have a preference with? Subquestion: do you mind homebrew systems (based on D&D)?
  2. What setting, if any, do you have a preference with? Subquestion: do you mind homebrew setting?
  3. What time of the week, if any, is more suitable for you (please put your GMT or equivalent)?
  4. What is the minimal number of time you would want to play per month to consider this worthy?
  5. What is the maximal number of time you can play during a month?
  6. Do you have a problem playing on roll20 and/or discord? Do you mind doing voice, or strictly written format (chat-based)?
  7. Do you have anything to add?
I'll answer myself to give an idea:
  1. As long as it's D&D and I know the system (all but 4th), I'm good. I am highly biased towards OD&D since this is what I play normally.
  2. I prefer homebrew setting because it's part of the fun for the DM, but I am open to using premade setting and I have done it in the past.
  3. UTC-05 Eastern Time (Canada). Saturday, ideally in the morning. Else, Sunday afternoon. I am available on a case by case basis during the evening in the week.
  4. Once per month
  5. Once per week
  6. I really like discord with screen share and dice/music bots. Roll20 can be good too, but I'm not too trilled on going all-out and important 100% of the monsters, maps, etc. it takes too much time and prep as a DM. I don't want to do 10h of prep for 2-3h of gaming.
  7. I'm thrilled.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Catacombs Alex Grimgravy

ASYNCHRONOUS GROUP

Monocled Gentlemen, we have a group of 3, which is not a lot but because of the nature of it, can be done.

1. Do you prefer Discord-based (since it keeps track of all messages, a "play by chat") or forum-based (play by post)?
  2. Do you prefer normal D&D-type tactical adventure of delving into a dungeon and throwing dice and so on, or do you prefer more "strategic" stuff where you tell your action in general and I do all the heavy lifting on my own and so on? Or a mix of both?
  3. Do you prefer dungeoncrawling asynchronous play, or would you prefer something more along the line of "you are a warlord with troops at your command and already control a settlement/small castle" with a heavy mix of small adventures and management (with "turns" being about one month each)?
  4. Do you have anything to add?
I'll answer myself to give an idea:I prefer discord because we can put documents, track messages, write in real-time when it's needed, or even have a chat/synchronous if it's worth it.
  1. I'd prefer a more "abstract" approach so that the adventures move forward and I do the heavy lifting.
  2. I'd prefer a more warlord approach so that you can manage your "domain". My ideal game would be a mix of D&D, Mount & Blade and Heroes of Might and Magic for this kind of asynchronous play: you manage stuff, you go as a group fix a problem of someone's domain or explore a bit more some place, you go back each to your place to prep the next "strategy" turn.
  3. I know that Alex you are in the synchronous group too. Feel free to do both or only one of both.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Do you prefer Discord-based (since it keeps track of all messages, a "play by chat") or forum-based (play by post)?

Play by post.

Do you prefer normal D&D-type tactical adventure of delving into a dungeon and throwing dice and so on, or do you prefer more "strategic" stuff where you tell your action in general and I do all the heavy lifting on my own and so on? Or a mix of both?

D&D-style adventures where everyone makes a character, we are a party, and we go on adventures, which includes diving into dungeons.

Do you prefer dungeoncrawling asynchronous play, or would you prefer something more along the line of "you are a warlord with troops at your command and already control a settlement/small castle" with a heavy mix of small adventures and management (with "turns" being about one month each)?

Not sure what you mean about asynchronous play. Is that we all take our turns and you play out the action?

Do you have anything to add?

In terms of systems, I'm comfortable with 5e and have touched on OD&D, mostly through the Old-School Essentials rules.

SoupNazi

SYNCHRONOUS GROUP

1. What system, if any, do you have a preference with? Subquestion: do you mind homebrew systems (based on D&D)?
    • Don't care either way as long as you can link some resources to read up on the basics and then you & the players will be patient with me sometimes struggling with knowing what exactly to do in the system. Like, I don't exactly know when exactly I need to roll for initiative, or when to add some racial bonuses to my roll... etc.
  2. What setting, if any, do you have a preference with? Subquestion: do you mind homebrew setting?
    • I don't mind much, wouldn't mind deus ex at all for example, or fantasy, or even VtM. If homebrew then I don't mind, but it should be something that can be understood and basically the "rules of the world" can be common sense if you catch my drift.
  3. What time of the week, if any, is more suitable for you (please put your GMT or equivalent)?
    • Saturdays basically any reasonable CEST time (9AM->1AM ish), Sunday CEST afternoons (1PM-6PM). Weekdays are a bit more sporadic for me, theoretically I have free slots every day other than Wednesday, 6PM CEST forward. But might have to miss out a session because of work.
  4. What is the minimal number of time you would want to play per month to consider this worthy?
    • Depends on how fast we'll be able to move forward, I can't think of a time value, but I would like to be able to finish a "major story arc" or even campaign in 1-2 months? I guess? It also depends on how long the sessions will be.
    • I think 20 hours a month I can almost guarantee, but I can imagine doing much more if for example we have so much fun that we spend the entire Saturday playing. Again, depends on how long the sessions are. I imagined 2-4 hours or even more.
  6. Do you have a problem playing on roll20 and/or discord? Do you mind doing voice, or strictly written format (chat-based)?
    • No problems with either, and the more visual it can be (roll20 I guess) the better for my imagination (and might be better in cases where English is not the first language, to understand scenes etc). Doesn't need to be all-out, I'm fine with "what you can draw on a piece of paper" level of detail. Basic room/area setup, where people/props are... if they're marked with "X for skeleton" or have a skeleton sprite doesn't matter.
    • Let's do Deus Ex lol

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
SYNCHRONOUS GROUP

1. OSR, OD&D, AD&D or D&D 5th. WHFRP 1.,2.,4.ed/Zweihänder would work too. I'm somewhat familiar with those and could come up with a char quickly. But anything that isn't super complex or 100% combat focused would work for me, homebrew too.
2. I wouldn't mind something that is based on classic fantasy tropes, fantasy/historical crossovers or contemporary. Basically anything that doesn't have big amounts of outlandish lore. If that's what the majority wants though, I'm fine with that as well, then I'll play the uneducated redneck dude from village/planet nowhere. Homebrew is cool.
Oh and I'm really not keen on having 21st century Seattle's social politics in a game (probably unlikely here), or edgelordness with rape, torture and political incorrectness just for the lulz (possibly a bit less unlikely here).
3. Workdays: Thue, Thu 19:00-24:00 (GMT + 1). Mon, Wed, Fri: Rather not regularly. Sat, Sun: Flexible (8:00-24:00 GMT+1).
4. Every two months
5. Every two weeks
6. roll20, discord, voice all fine with me.
7. Early next year, my work-life balance might relax a bit, right now its quite stressful. Making up a character concept & rolling stats for a more or less familiar/intuitive system and setting, plus playing at least every four weeks is no problem though.

By the way, I'd be interested in the asynchronous part as well, if it's meant to be some sort of political/economical/stratecig campaign that works as a frame for the synchronous group.
I don't know if that's what you're going for, but if yes and if you don't have a definite plan on how to realize it, I'd suggest Reign: Enchiridion, which is a system that intertwines a kingdom/company management layer with typical dungeoneering/c&d roleplay. It comes with its own ruleset for the latter, but that can be swapped out for your system of choice effortlessly.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What system, if any, do you have a preference with? Subquestion: do you mind homebrew systems (based on D&D)?
I only have experience with fifth edition, and a bit of monster of the week. I don't really mind which you pick all that much but I definitely prefer fifth edition myself and I promise you I will fumble with the rules of any other system if we go with something else.

What setting, if any, do you have a preference with? Subquestion: do you mind homebrew setting?
I've only ever played homebrew settings. Personally if I'm going to DM I would never use someone else's setting. I guess I don't really have a preference in terms of setting but I would potentially muck things up for people who want to play a completely serious game. I like to joke around and usually play characters that are at least a little bit silly. Nothing even remotely 'tumblr-esque' of course, but I feel it's important to mention.

What time of the week, if any, is more suitable for you (please put your GMT or equivalent)?
I'm in the Netherlands, so I'm on central european time. I would prefer an evening from between monday through thursday but saturday/sunday would work for me in the morning/noon/afternoon.

What is the minimal number of time you would want to play per month to consider this worthy?
Once, I suppose. I'm used to weekly sessions but bi-weekly or once a month could work.

What is the maximal number of time you can play during a month?
This varies a lot, but it really needn't go above a session a week for me.

Do you have a problem playing on roll20 and/or discord? Do you mind doing voice, or strictly written format

(chat-based)?
If we're going to do this I will say it's either voice or nothing, personally. Playing through chat doesn't cut it for me.

Do you have anything to add?
I'm hoping we can sort out our preferences and land on something we can all agree on and get this show on the road. I know I'm rather flexible and even if it's just a three man group playing once a month or something I still think it's a worthwhile effort. So yeah I'm pretty stoked at palying with Codexian bros.

Last edited:

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Snorkack
My initial thought was that the async would be for domain and would run in the same world parallel to the sync one to create a cool synergy. But if people in the async want their own campaign PbP, then it will be two different things altogether. I didn't know about Reign, thanks for sharing! For my campaign I use "An Echo Resounding" since it's also meant to "layer on top of D&D". I did modified couple of things to suit more my setting and taste, but the vast majority is untouched since it's very good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom