Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Demon's Souls Remake

One thing that's really great about the remake is the sound design. Not the reworked music, but the actual sound. Sony's 3d sound implementation on headphones is really impressive.

Speaking of reworked music, they absolutely ruined my favourite piece of music in the entire series:
Theme of Flamelurker

Original:

Remake:

The original instrumentation was awesome, it sounded like a funeral dirge and was very foreboding. I still remember the very first time I fought the boss all those years ago. The remake is generic EPIC FANTASY HORNS AND CHOIRS, sounds like refuse from Howard Shore's LOTR soundtrack. The main theme is buried in there somewhere as a leitmotif, but overall the new arrangement is utterly forgettable.

Lyric Suite what do you think about these two versions?

Fucking Kwas.

Last edited:

MapMan

Arcane
Been playing this for a couple of days now and while some of the redesigns are indeed pretty shit, the game looks great overall and 60fps is of course indispensable. I have no idea why anyone would play the 30fps mode, especially when it's pretty indiscernible from the other in terms of visual fidelity.

Being one of those people who are huge From software fans ever since the PS1 days, owned the Asian version of DeS before the western release was announced, etc., I'm obviously pretty nostalgic about this game, but I hadn't played it in a very long time (10 years maybe). Since then I've played every game they put out. The only one I don't really like that much is DS3.

Replaying this, after getting past the obvious bling and the fact that it doesn't run like a dog anymore, I'm confronted with the realization that although the levels are pretty huge and atmospheric, the encounter design is quite weak after all these years. The game is also very easy compared to more recent From outings (last one I played was Sekiro and that felt incomparably harder). Maybe it's the world tendency stuff (I can't quite remember how it works), but so far I've cruised through and bosses are especially weak. I remember them being weak, but not this weak.

Anyway, this version really isn't worth paying the super premium price that it commands right now, especially if you add in the price of the console itself. It's alright and it's been cool revisiting the game from memory (I've avoided looking at the super autistic direct comparisons so far), but From has really come a long way since the original Souls design.

In fact, the strongest feeling that I'm left with after playing this remake is that it's a shame that From (or anyone really) didn't get Bloodborne running properly on the PS5. It doesn't need anything outside a 60fps unlock and an image quality cleanup (better AA mostly). Fucking lazy japs. I think it speaks volumes that I feel more like replaying Bloodborne even if it still runs like shit on the PS5 (better load times) than play the DeS remake.

I just finished my first and quite thorough NG playthrough and I have very similar feelings. It is clear that this is the first of a series. It's still a great game but when you compare it with the later titles, you can see how far they've come.

My favourite is still Dark Souls 1. It's the best all around experience, even though it was technically rough around the edges. DaS improved on DeS in almost every aspect. DaS 2 improved combat mechanics and build viability but took a step back in other areas due to troubled development process. DaS 3, just like you, is my least favourite of the 4. It didn't really improve on anything (besides graphics) and was a huge let down when it comes to combat mechanics and build viability. It felt like the same game I've played before but worse.

I'm really hoping that the next From game will not favor combat/bosses over exploration. I love Sekiro and it's a great game too but I wish the next game would combine refined combat with the exploration and world building of DeS/DaS. That'd be the best outcome for me.

As for BB, maybe it's wishful thinking, but I do hope that the main reason that BB has been untouched on PS5 so far is because they have bigger plans for it, maybe a proper remaster or even a remake?

Just finished my first NG as a faith build using moonlight greatsword; I had forgotten how bad faith builds are in DeS. 90% of the miracles are worthless. While the gameplay is quite simplistic, the levels themselves are the main focus and there are so many cool hidden details in them.

It was nice to revisit. I dig the hub design (and how it's possible to tackle levels in a different order according to your build - for instance, the swamp is a major focus of faith builds early on), although the metroid-like design of (the first half of) DS is better. These games have evolved significantly when it comes to gameplay systems and mechanics, but level design has taken a nosedive (with the exception of Bloodborne).

Good remake, but I don't expect I'll be spending a lot more time on it. After all these years I finally beat Old King Doran with a melee build without cheese.

I guess the one takeaway from playing this is that I was constantly reminded of how incredible the original game was. I don't think anything like it will ever happen again.

MapMan

Arcane
Just finished my first NG as a faith build using moonlight greatsword; I had forgotten how bad faith builds are in DeS. 90% of the miracles are worthless.
I disagree. My +5 blessed weapon, the adjudicator's shield +5 and the regenerator's ring carry me very easily through ng+. The damage is not best in class but the regen is great, second chance is invaluable and even god's wrath is great (but it is highly situational).

As for the rest of your post, I agree 100%.

If there are more people playing, we could get a codex fight club going on.

It's more the fact that DeS is very easy at this point for anyone who's played most of the Souls games. Like laughably easy. I don't think it has anything to do with the build.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Demon's Souls may be easier, but at least it takes place entirely in cool environments and not shitty sewers drowning in colour-correction, nor random shit with no context and missing graphics. And it has a setting that's interesting even without the lore, instead of the I-don't-care fantasy of Dark Solz. Really, aside from the gameplay, Dark Souls kind of sucks.

praetor

Arcane
Replaying this, after getting past the obvious bling and the fact that it doesn't run like a dog anymore, I'm confronted with the realization that although the levels are pretty huge and atmospheric, the encounter design is quite weak after all these years. The game is also very easy compared to more recent From outings (last one I played was Sekiro and that felt incomparably harder). Maybe it's the world tendency stuff (I can't quite remember how it works), but so far I've cruised through and bosses are especially weak. I remember them being weak, but not this weak.

yeah.. mechanically it's really really lacklustre in pretty much every way. and before the "buh buh puzzlah iz bettah than fightan" crowd comes bawling in, no they're not. at least not the ones that are actually in the game. the "puzzles" for the DeS bosses are, let's face it, shit. the concept of "puzzle bosses" is great, yeah, but From's execution (like many other things when it comes to bosses... like huge bosses, or most creatures etc) is crap

also, other a minor amount of truly spectacular levels that manage to be both atmospheric and interesting (the whole of Latria will forever be remembered and praised. who doesn't praise the Latria, shall be exterminated), they're rather lacklustre to fight through or explore...

edit: and before the other crowd jumps in, this is not about "difficulty", but rather how diverse and interesting it is to explore both levels, fight different monsters in different situations (i.e. encounter design) with a variety of gear at your disposal

I think it speaks volumes that I feel more like replaying Bloodborne even if it still runs like shit on the PS5 (better load times) than play the DeS remake.

...which leads to very low replayability.

i also played it first (though not when it was released, but about... 3 months before DaS1 was released, give or take. couldn't justify buying a PS3 for one game... but i kinda could for two :D), but it's so simple in mechanics and for the most part layout that i got bored halfway through my 3rd playthrough (i.e. pretty much after i was done with Latria)

judging by "first playthrough only", it's probably in my top 3. the atmosphere is definitely numero uno. overall, though, i'd place it in front of only DS3 in a "Soulsborne ranking list" 'cause the others are just soooo much more interesting to actually (re)play

Replaying Bloodborne now (first time playing Old Hunters, I'm level 70ish and it's very hard) on the PS5 and man, it's really a masterpiece. Best level design From has ever done - even surpassing DeS and consistent all the way through. What a shame that this game isn't available to more people.

Machocruz

Arcane
DeS is in line with some of From's previous games, like Shadow Tower Abyss and KF4. Some games, a lot actually, are meant to be an experience, but I don't use that term the same way it's used LARPers, game journos, or casuals looking to be emotionally engaged or live an alternate life. I mean they feel like they are designed to be an immersive adventure/hero journey first (when they weren't being designed to steal your quarters first), individual mechanics being serviceable enough to that end. Not clinics in fighting, platforming, tactics, or what have you . For example, I'd never accuse LoZ, System Shock, Tomb Raider, Legacy of Kain of having great or more than adequate combat. But they are supremely memorable, engaging, and immersive trips. They can be mastered to an extent, but don't beg to be. There isn't much nuance that can be squeezed out of them. The good ones have at least enough challenge to feel like the journey is as perilous as their theme implies and provide a sense of accomplishment when you bypass an obstacle. I'd say most games along the Action-Adventure-RPG spectrum are like this, and they are well liked for their balance of elements. They feel cozy without feeling trivial. DeS is on the more severe end, but that's not because of any complexities.

Being simple isn't a mistake. But yeah, the lesser nuances, intricacies, and mastery potential means it's not as replayable as DS1-Bloodborne. Can't comment on 3 because I never played, but I heard only the boss fights are any good, and the rest of the "experience" looks sterile.

Silva

Arcane
Replaying Bloodborne now (first time playing Old Hunters, I'm level 70ish and it's very hard) on the PS5 and man, it's really a masterpiece. Best level design From has ever done - even surpassing DeS and consistent all the way through. What a shame that this game isn't available to more people.
Yeah, this. And not only level design but production values as a whole is way ahead of everything else in the series. I'm coming to a new replay of BB from DS3 and it makes the later look like a last gen game.

Also, I have two friends who I introduced to the series through BB and then convinced to try DS1. They can't understand how DS1 is as praised as BB. They even understand the importance of DS1 as the precursor and all that, but they can't undestand how BB isnt considered the magnum opus of the devs. Which is pretty reasonable when you think about it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Also, I have two friends who I introduced to the series through BB and then convinced to try DS1. They can't understand how DS1 is as praised as BB. They even understand the importance of DS1 as the precursor and all that, but they can't undestand how BB isnt considered the magnum opus of the devs. Which is pretty reasonable when you think about it.
graphics whores

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
I was summoned to help someone against the flamelurker. Then he started to throw fire magic against the boss. Yep, he thought it was a good idea to use fire against a fire monster in a fire arena in the world of fire, fuckin clown man

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Original by a mile. It even manages to be more harmonically complex despite being less elaborate.

Fucking hell I'd expect this from dildos who don't know jackshit about music but coming from you? You know full well the original orchestration was a budget-driven slapdash mix of a handful of real instruments and cheap electronics while the remake OST is a proper orchestra deal. It'd be like saying Beethoven's 5th performed by two dudes with digital Yamaha keyboards at a wedding party was WAY better than a concert at La Scala.

You should be ashamed for pandering to ignorant nostalgiafags for K-points.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Who gives a fuck if they are using a real orchestra.

Your analogy sucks this is like saying Beethoven's 5th played on a Yamaha keyboard ISN'T better than Final Fantasy played by a real orchestra or whatever it is weaboos like to jerk over.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Who gives a fuck if they are using a real orchestra.

Your analogy sucks this is like saying Beethoven's 5th played on a Yamaha keyboard ISN'T better than Final Fantasy played by a real orchestra or whatever it is weaboos like to jerk over.

Huh I thought you actually understood music, now I don't know why.

Foggit about it, I'll just make a

:updatedmytxt:

and we'll move on.

Perkel

Arcane
There is nothing more wrong than converting midi into orchestra music. Anyone who does this should be shot and buried in unnamed grave under public restrooms.

DemonKing

Arcane
Finally finished this last night. I played all the Souls games Sword n' Board but went magic this time round and it was definitely easy mode. The number of bosses you could cheese with magic was ridiculous.

Not sure whether to trade in the game while it is still worth something or hold on hoping they release the 6th archstone as DLC.

ADL

Prophet

Remember that trailer they pulled where the part about it being on other consoles was "clearly a mistake"?
Screen_Shot_2020_09_17_at_12.58.45_PM.0.png

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Would be funny if they released it on PS4 'cause nobody is buying the game due to the PS5 being always unavailable lmao.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Would be funny if they released it on PS4 'cause nobody is buying the game due to the PS5 being always unavailable lmao.
Well duh. Hence the utter lack of PS5 exclusives in general. Even the most prime cuts of Sony meat like HZD 2 are being announced for the last gen too, to the utter puzzlement of everybody.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom