Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Haven: Girlfriend simulator for emo boys

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Hearing that the game is from France is disgusting as hell given what I've seen of Paris.

Any sane person better stay the fuck out of Paris. The dev from this game are from Montpellier though, but i'm not sure that change anything.
Montpellier is literally a poorer, shittier version of Paris. Too many of the historical areas of the city have that "I swear I'm not cloning Baron Haussmann" vibe to them. But obviously the city doesn't have anywhere near the scale of what it is cloning. And I've always found Haussmannian architecture rather boring.
The newer built neighborhoods and surrounding towns are all ugly postmodernist nightmares, and there's quite a decent amount of no-go-zones filled with filth. The only "big" city that might be more dangerous to live in than Montpellier is Marseille. The general area where Montpellier is located (Herault department) is also only second to the worst job market of the country (Pyrenees Orientales), always number 2 in unemployment statistics, which also helps explain the huge amount of homeless junkies polluting the place.
And the latest town hall looks like Darth Vader's base.
jgL4YLQ.jpg

Unless you were born in this filthy place and don't feel like cutting ties with family/friends/whatever then there's no reason to live here. It's shit.

Silentstorm

Learned
Look, as someone who tried the game just knowing it was made from the guys behind Furi and i have Game Pass, i can confirm the game is so mediocre it hurts.

Story is barely there and extremely generic and it all dies and lives on what you think of the couple, the combat is really simple and easy, and you betcha the game puts a ton of mechanics that aren't deep at all and that you can ignore unless the story demands you to use them and only seem to be there to pad out the game for achievement seekers, yay, i found seeds...except this isn't a farming sim and ingredients are available EVERYWHERE so...yay for pointless mechanic?

But wait, they do give you more movement options and abilities for combat, which end up being mostly the same thing but now you can fly with the blue lines or the two do combination attacks but don't change anything combat wise.

Also, a lot of the places look the same and you feel like wanting buildings to appear just to give you some way to know where you are and if something new appears it's repeated, and yes, it takes a while to get fast travel and a map, and no, the map doesn't say anything about where you are and you still need to find fast travel locations, you also need to use food everytime if you want to fast travel.

And it's all pointless, guess what, this is one of those indie games where all endings are depressing and your efforts are pointless, it can work for games and fiction in general, but when the game is actively mediocre, you want something happy at least, not the villains winning and the couple being brainwashed into forgetting each other and loving other people, or them cutting themselves from the universe forever but one gets permanently disfigured and with chances of going insane and trying to kill the other as the planet is now starting to die and shifting orbit in ways that indicate they won't exactly have a place full of food or nature after a short period of time has passed and they can't get out of the planet.

Boy, i sure love some indie games that actively make everything pointless!

lightbane

Arcane
And it's all pointless, guess what, this is one of those indie games where all endings are depressing and your efforts are pointless, it can work for games and fiction in general, but when the game is actively mediocre, you want something happy at least, not the villains winning and the couple being brainwashed into forgetting each other and loving other people, or them cutting themselves from the universe forever but one gets permanently disfigured and with chances of going insane and trying to kill the other as the planet is now starting to die and shifting orbit in ways that indicate they won't exactly have a place full of food or nature after a short period of time has passed and they can't get out of the planet.

Lol, wouldn't that mean it goes against the PC-friendly couple if something bad happens to them? Is the black MC the one getting killed or worse?

Boy, i sure love some indie games that actively make everything pointless!

I blame the recent trend of games about forcing the player to do edgy stuff and then blaming you for doing said stuff, aka literally playing the game, which also leads to edge crap like the above.

Derringer

Prophet
The ones doing the edgy shit are the devs since they're the ones designing the games themselves, whether they're doing it for free or being told to do it by someone else.

TigerKnee

Arcane
The biggest downfall Haven experiences is its unexpectedly inconsistent thematic implications. While Yu and Kay are lovely together, the narrative that surrounds them is a bit suspect. Without going too deep down the rabbit hole, the two are on the run because they want to be together. Their homeland is rooted in a society built upon the Matchmaker partnering people together based on arbitrary compatibility, and going against this system is, basically, illegal. Obviously, the entire foundation of Haven is built upon being able to freely love whom you want and nothing should stop you from that, against all odds.

Events transpire in Haven that disrupt the peaceful life Yu and Kay are seeking. Along the way, there is a fairly important character they establish communication with. This character is queer and firmly supports the ideas and actions of the society Yu and Kay are originally from. Now whether this character is queer of their own choosing or forcefully by the Matchmaker is not quite delved into. It feels such an odd swerve for the game to paint the sole homosexual representation as an antagonistic force against the freedom to love who you want to love, especially in an era where better LGBTQ+ representation should be pushed for. There are other bits surrounding it that honestly feel like a slap in the face in this regard. Haven was a pleasant, relaxing journey up until this point later into the game. It is addressed and treated so poorly that I found it baffling that The Game Bakers went out of their way to undermine their message so heavily.
I think everyone is legally obliged to love this game now :troll:

Silentstorm

Learned
Just want to point out the evil gay character is the mother of Yu, the girl, or one of her mothers, and she's barely in the game, she was more involved in the backstory regarding the planet rather than actively trying to break up the couple, and it's more to protect her daughter...and the system, also, the Matchmaker machine was there because of some random epidemic in the past and a machine deciding couples was apparently the cure?

But the big truly bad guy is straight...and he's the supposed husband of Yu who is apparently well known for being a crazy psychopath who does think he and Yu belong together and that she will just come to him sooner or later, but may as well make it sooner by sending easily defeated robots after the couple, and outright talks about how he doesn't mind brainwashing Yu to get her.

Which is what happens if you don't cut contact with the rest of the universe, if you do that, though, one of the two depending on choices you made gets disfigured and gets a ton of energy that so far in the game makes everything go crazy and trying to kill everything in sight, and the character's body becomes somewhat crystalized with the crystals being made of said energy...somehow, indicating that they will possibly go crazy and try to kill their loved one at some point as they are now living in a world that is dying.

...In other words, i would rather have had Furi 2, i enjoy fast paced boss rush games and that one was good, at least the combat was actually fun and they cluttered that game with far less pointless mechanics and story.

The only nice thing i can say about the game is that the soundtrack doesn't suck and that i only paid 1 buck to play it, thanks Game Pass...whatever, it has other games better than this one, but i am glad i didn't have to actually buy Haven to play it...then again, i probably would have refunded it in less than 2 hours if it wasn't just available on Game Pass...so maybe i should say fuck Game Pass.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Hearing that the game is from France is disgusting as hell given what I've seen of Paris.

Any sane person better stay the fuck out of Paris. The dev from this game are from Montpellier though, but i'm not sure that change anything.
Montpellier is closer to Arabia.

there's more arabs and black in Paris, though

politicians with other people's money sure do love those shiny cubes.

FTFY

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom