Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity + The White March Expansion Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Base game's pacing was all over the place anyway. It was like you hit a brick wall when you got to Defiance Bay. The only big city should've been Twin Elms that you get to at act 3, like BG1.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Base game's pacing was all over the place anyway. It was like you hit a brick wall when you got to Defiance Bay. The only big city should've been Twin Elms that you get to at act 3, like BG1.
I really don't understand why some people hate Defiance Bay. It's a decently fun city IMO. And it certainly has better pacing than Athkatla (though that isn't an achievement).

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I really don't understand why some people hate Defiance Bay. It's a decently fun city IMO. And it certainly has better pacing than Athkatla (though that isn't an achievement).
It's primarily how boring the factions are.

Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Nothing's happening there until something happens but then you're asked to immediately leave and when you come back it has all settled.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It's not so much hate as much as feeling it's unnecessary and grinds the game to a halt. Like MajorMace said, nothing of importance is happening there and the only thing of note is swept under the rug. The zombie quarter could've been a fun ...zombie quarter, but it was nothing. It also kind of feels small in a way. Everything is next to each other and it's weird. You have a murder theater happening 50 meters from a secret cult gathering, which happens to take place right next to a lich-like bloke. There's more stuff happening in the harbor than all the other parts of the city combined. The pacing is weird in the sense it's awkwardly situated in the main story. It's like if Baldur's Gate were exactly after meeting Khalid and Jaheira, and after you are done with that you go to Nashkel and Cloakwood.

Unity could be responsible for how small the city is, in addition to the whole game being unfinished/too big for its own good. The maps are claustrophobically small and even then the content is spaced lopsidedly.

Trashos

Arcane
Defiance Bay didn't work for me either (and under no circumstances would I put it in the same sentence with Athkatla). Not in the sense that DB shouldn't exist necessarily, but it needed a lot more work to be exciting. It was kinda boring, and now I do not remember almost anything about it (other than the tower at the port).

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, Defiance Bay had issues. Too bad, I think it had potential, if the pacing was done better and the city felt more... alive.

Hyperion

Arcane
Central hubs loaded with boring fetch quests, or quests that have you run from one area to the next are a cancer and should be removed from crpg's. The atrocities against gamers are twofold when your game has load screens every 20 seconds that are as long as traversing the tiny areas themselves. And only get longer the longer you play.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Defiance Bay didn't work for me either (and under no circumstances would I put it in the same sentence with Athkatla).
Uhm..

If English works the same way as Greek, then I put them in the same period, not in the same sentence.
Might be a translation misunderstanding on your part, because all of that is definitely one sentence, and it would be in Greek too, or it would not be translated into "sentence". I could work it out more specifically, but I fucking hate grammar and will be a horrible English teacher because of it.

Trashos

Arcane
In Greek that was most definitely one period and two sentences. A period can consist of many sentences (in Greek, right? Not sure about English). Two verbs = 2 sentences, all within one period. Most Greeks may confuse the 2 in everyday language, but it is only because they do not know what they are talking about.

EDIT: I translate
sentence -> πρόταση (protasi)
period -> περίοδος (periodos, doh!)

Last edited:

pomenitul

Arbiter
This is just a friendly reminder that PoE and Tyranny are currently available for free on the Epic Games store (and yes, you do get to keep them). I nabbed them a couple of hours ago.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
As soon as a game gets released for free it's okay to pirate it. Literally the only difference between pirating it and getting it from Epic is that the former option doesn't require installing junkware.

Sannom

Augur
If you're talking about the Epic Games Store client, I would just like to remind everyone that you can manage your Epic collection through GOG Galaxy.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
God, I forgot how infuriating this game is from the very beginning. Basically you are not allowed to roleplay a character who is not a complete retard.

tdkkmt9.png

You find yourself surrounded by people who distrust foreigners and magic that messes with souls, and who show no hesitation in hanging those whom they don't like, and your only option to progress through the dialogue is to tell them either:

"Hi, I just survived a cursed magic wind that messes with people's souls"

or

"Hi, I just witnessed a strange and obscure ceremony near some ruins"

What the fuck.

Then you meet your first companion, and the game finally gives you the chance to lie low and keep your cards to yourself:

apmV0EC.png

But it turns out that the game is the one who is lying, because in the very next dialogue you are forced to explain in detail what happened to you:

KFIAfOU.png

I mean, come on.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
^ It's almost as if this game suffers from a lack of editing pass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom