Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Call of Saregnar - a Betrayal at Krondor-inspired RPG

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Better?
r8Mn3C2.png

V_K

Arcane
Weird. I often misread game titles - e.g. for a long time I thought that Solasta was Solastra and that Trudograd and Teudogar were the same game - but I never had that proglem with Saregnar.

Renevent

Cipher
This looks pretty damn cool! Never played any of the BoK games but I remember drooling over the box a few times at game stores...I was never able to buy it because I was a poor kid.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I just realised it's not "Sarengar". That was easier to pronounce.

I though it was Sarengar for a long time too

Screenshots looking great Rhuantavan

I didn't think this one was so weird, never had any problem with it, unlike the famous Lovecraft's entity.

After years or reading about it, i can get it right now, it's Cutuchululu, no, Chuchucuculu, chtuchtluhulu ...

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Nobody needs to worry, amidst it's groundbreaking features Co's will provide accessibility options for the dyslexic, with its entire script rewritten in basic English. The most inclusive rpg to date!

This looks pretty damn cool! Never played any of the BoK games but I remember drooling over the box a few times at game stores...I was never able to buy it because I was a poor kid.
You really owe yourself to give BaK a try. A lot if older games have painful ui and controls but this one has aged surprisingly well.

I often drool over the BoK screens, then snap back to reality and remember that I can't be arsed with midi and cumbersome UI.

It's simply too late to play it now, as I've become too addicted to comfort at "old age".

I very much look forward to Serangar, and I believe the buzzwords going something like :"oldschool gameplay with a modern overhaul" are meant for projects like this.

Last edited:

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Did they ever actually show any cities in BoK? IIRC they were always around a bend in the road so you couldn't even catch a glimpse of them in 3D mode. I wonder if that was purely for performance or they figured they would look better as a 2D painting.

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Damn you all, Saregnar has a special place for those who mispronounce his name. Just sayin'.

Did they ever actually show any cities in BoK? IIRC they were always around a bend in the road so you couldn't even catch a glimpse of them in 3D mode. I wonder if that was purely for performance or they figured they would look better as a 2D painting.
No, only small villages were in 3D. I'm sure it was for both performance and aesthetic reasons. Rendering such huge cities in 3D would be prohibitively expensive and they wouldn't look good anyway.

Darth Canoli

Arcane

I often drool over the BoK screens, then snap back to reality and remember that I can't be arsed with midi and cumbersome UI.

It's simply too late to play it now, as I've become too addicted to comfort at "old age".

I very much look forward to Snaregarn, and I believe the buzzwords going something like :"oldschool gameplay with a modern overhaul" are meant for projects like this.

It's not so much about the UI but once you had to deal with BaK combat and traps, the urge to play Saregnar increases tenfold.
A game of this magnitude with a modern and not dumbed down UI and engine is something to worship.

I very much look forward to Senegal, and I believe the buzzwords going something like :"oldschool gameplay with a modern overhaul" are meant for projects like this.

It's not so much about the UI but once you had to deal with BaK combat and traps, the urge to play Saregnar increases tenfold.
A game of this magnitude with a modern and not dumbed down UI and engine is something to worship.

I had to double check my post. Well played Sir :salute:

Reinar

Scholar
Well, the grass is missing from the shot, but I agree, the scene is a bit flat and needs details. This is only the first pass though. Also the surroundings of the walls need to be clear of trees and other big vegetation, so there is no cover for the enemy, that's also why it may appear a bit bland. Lighting, yes, I will add torch sconces or a brazier or something.
When you can't add foliage or other scenery objects, work with the terrain texture (and height, if posible).

Rhuantavan

Arcane
Patron
Developer
Codex 2012
Well, the grass is missing from the shot, but I agree, the scene is a bit flat and needs details. This is only the first pass though. Also the surroundings of the walls need to be clear of trees and other big vegetation, so there is no cover for the enemy, that's also why it may appear a bit bland. Lighting, yes, I will add torch sconces or a brazier or something.
When you can't add foliage or other scenery objects, work with the terrain texture (and height, if posible).
I have already added a bridge in front of the gate and I’m working on stone details on the terrain texture.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom