Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What is THE single most underrated game of all times?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Actually, seeing your username makes me want to change my vote.

It's Unreal. 100% Unreal.

It was so far ahead of its time that like half of games out today still use its graphics engine and no shitlennial modern "gamers" even remember it. Some might remember Unreal Tournament but even then they're usually talking about the 2003 version, not the OG.
Quake III is better so not underrated, just not as good.

Quake 3 is in no way better nigga WTF?

It came out 4 years later and doesn't look as good and it's a sequel of a sequel of a spinoff of Doom, it didn't change the course of gaming history like Unreal did.

Also It has/had a HUEG circlejerk fanbase only rivaled by Starcraft and Counterstrike maybe so how can it be underrated? Even if it was the best game ever (it isn't) it's still overrated.

fork

Quake 3 takes skill, Unreal Tournament is okay. But Counterstrike (multiplayer equivalent of a walking simulator) was more successful than both combined, so retardes reigned supreme back then already.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Quake III is better so not underrated, just not as good.

Back in the LAN days, we used to play both Q3A and UT99. They are just different, neither is better. Q3A has a better sense of velocity, UT99 is more floaty and had mutators which were a ton of fun.

And of course Half-Life in LAN and its assorted mods, Counter Strike 1.3/1.5, Ricochet, Day of Defeat, etc. Jedi Outcast also very underrated.

Some might remember Unreal Tournament but even then they're usually talking about the 2003 version, not the OG.

It actually pisses me off. Every time someone mentioned UT it was the 2003 one. It was good, but not as good.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
Harvester. It's a bit janky and the entire Lodge segment was bad, but one of those rare adventure games that made me feel uncomfortable.
Every time I see Harvester brought up its usually met with praise. Its interesting, originally I got the impression that people weren't so fond of it, even mocking it but over time people keep bringing it up positively. I wonder if one day we'll see it dominate Top 10 adventure game lists.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Harvester is utterly repulsive, though. It's like if you were upset at your parents telling you not to say bad words, so you shit on the floor. And the walls. And the ceiling. And then painted with it. On everyone's faces. That's right, mom, dad, fuck you. Decency is for losers! You can't tell me what to do! It's actually profound. It's avant-garde. You need a really high IQ to understand this game.

As a fucked-up person, I can give you all the very official and irrefutable opinion that the game is satanic bullshit made by retards. Don't even bother.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Harvester is utterly repulsive, though. It's like if you were upset at your parents telling you not to say bad words, so you shit on the floor. And the walls. And the ceiling. And then painted with it. On everyone's faces. That's right, mom, dad, fuck you. Decency is for losers! You can't tell me what to do! It's actually profound. It's avant-garde. You need a really high IQ to understand this game.

As a fucked-up person, I can give you all the very official and irrefutable opinion that the game is satanic bullshit made by retards. Don't even bother.
:lol: WTF, did you do!?

Aemar

Arcane
Either

Knights of the Chalice. Outstanding D&D implementation, fun, challenging.

Or

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. Free, constantly updated and more challenging than any standard hack and slash games out there.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
By underrated I mean: the ratio between the game's popularity/fanbase/circlejerk and its quality is absolutely disproportionate. The game is God-tier and nobody's jerking off to it - and they should be.
The Witcher 3, of course :smug:Such a hidden gem!

Egosphere

Arcane
Thief 3: Deadly Shadows.

This game is basically reaching F:NV levels of sequel sweetness. New Vegas is exactly the perfect comparison, where the engine is basically the only shitty thing about it.

Not sure about that. Levels were much smaller, no swimming or climbing arrows, incredibly janky movement system whereby you could fall off a ledge when leaning etc.
It nailed the atmosphere though, especially Shalebridge Cradle, which was up there with Haunted Cathedral for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom