Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Unknown Realm: The Siege Perilous - an 8-bit RPG for PC and Commodore 64

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
honkhonk.png
https://stirringdragon.games/have-yourself-a-merry-little-christmas-giveaways-free-gift-for-all/

Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas Giveaways + FREE Gift for all!

SDGJollyDisk-300x225.jpg

The countdown to Christmas has begun, December 14th is the last day to order in time for Christmas delivery in the USA and we have three announcements (including a free gift for everyone below!)

1)

We’re giving away a copy of the Stirring Dragon Games JollyDisk plus some extra goodies to TWO lucky winners this week! It’s been a tough year from everyone, but we wanted to spread some holiday cheer and bring a little warmth to your Christmas season, however different it may look this year. You can read a lovely review of the JollyDisk here.

All you have to do to enter this giveaway is:
  1. Sign up for our email list (if you haven’t already)
  2. Subscribe to our YouTube Channel
  3. Share on Social Media: (Twitter Users) Like + RT our giveaway tweet OR (Facebook Users) Like our giveaway post
Open to USA RESIDENTS only. Winners of the JollyDisk Giveaway will be notified Monday December 14th by 11:59pm Pacific Time.

2)

Bonus Giveaway (Worldwide)

If you already purchased the JollyDisk (or if you buy it between now and Dec. 25th): We’ll send a FREE GIFT to 5 winners who do the following.
  1. Sign up for our Email List
  2. Twitter Users: Follow us on Twitter (www.twitter.com/IndieLauraSDG) AND Tweet out a picture of the JollyDisk running on your system and tag us in the tweet.
  3. Facebook Users: Share a picture of the JollyDisk running on your system with your friends (or favorite retro group) on Facebook and send us a screenshot (JollyGivewaway@stirringdragon.games)
Winners of the bonus giveaway will be notified in January after the holiday season is over.

YuleLog-225x300.jpg

3)

Last, but not least, here is a FREE GIFT, for all our C64 fans: a special Side 2 of the JollyDisk (the 8-bit PETSCII Yule Log Juke Box) is available for download for free and works on all your favorite C64 devices and emulators (NTSC and PAL compatible). Download the free version here by selecting the FREE 8-bit Yule Log from the JollyDisk menu.

If you enjoy it, consider showing your support by buying the collectible version that comes with a double-sided floppy disk full of nostalgic Christmas joy and a custom keyboard overlay for the interactive 8-bit Yule Log.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays from your friends at Stirring Dragon Games!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
HO HO HO! Bruce & Laura are in Oregon? How the hell did I miss that they are fellow Oregonians. Derp is me.

Cheers

V_K

Arcane
How many ultima clone-likes are there?

Skald, Code of the Savage and Lurking are probably the best known ones.
I wouldn't call Skald an Ultima clone exactly. Judging by the demos, it's much more number-crunchy and plot-heavy, with a focus on dialogs and dungeon crawling rather than sandboxy exploration (though the caveat is, of course, that the demos/betas all have had very limited amount of content, not really showing the overworld exploration). Plus the setting is dark fantasy with heavy horror undertones, very different from what Ultima-likes usually aim for.
How many ultima clone-likes are there? I swore there was a codex thread in that.
Depends on how far back you want to look. Overall - dozens upon dozens.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
It isn't the only apple game I had my eyes on either. Lawless Legends still sparks interest. I mean... cowfolk. YEEEEEHAAAAWWW!!!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Hey, i won one of the entries. It just came in the mail. I'll take a picture tomorrow and thank Stirring Dragon Games. Pretty cool. I even bought some eggnog. This is making the end of the year looking pretty jolly for me and brighter hopes for the New Year.

cheers

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I meant to let ya'll know I received the Christmas package and opened it up today.
4UaAAsl.jpg

Z4pBEpq.jpg

JHsX5KO.jpg

aR4H7XT.jpg

OVIajVV.jpg

PeegqF4.jpg

tdhycpY.jpg

ydJTpa3.jpg

Thank you Stirring Dragons & Happy Holidays to all.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Caitlyn finally figured out KS comments to make some (even though he's hiding on Twitter again). Some were about cutting content that only further begs the question of what HAVE they been working on:

I'm curious what you guys think about mini-games in RPGs? As I look for more features to cut from the game so we can get this baby out faster... the mini-games always come to mind. I would love to get your feedback on if they were up there on the list of things you originally liked about U.R. or not? (You can go back and see a preview of some of our mini-games on our campaign page and updates if haven't seen them already.)

Please keep your responses on topic and respectful. Thanks.

Some of the posts were giving reality a rare poke:

No one cares about what we have been going through?

TL;DR: Maybe some idiot still cares about your sob story. Most others are a bit fed up with it, in a stark contrast to devs who can offer updates like they were responsible parents for their baby and could remember appointments.

It's like the more you treat your backers like non-entities there to be strung along and used like a free source of funding that they'd reciprocate a slight amount in turn by not giving a fuck about your excuses that suddenly pop up because there's been fuck-all for real update on progress years overdue. The point was legit, it takes a special effort to ignore how their community have reacted from neglect of good faith fulfillment of updates.

If they are looking to cut back on "work" to get the game out... then drop the book. At this point no one cares about what you have been going through. Only the lack of seeing the game in any progression.

Maybe if Stalling Delay Grifters would care to actually do some real updates - instead of pissing around and then later complaining about the results of their bad PR - then maybe they wouldn't keep seeing this happen. The way they were going it was like they wanted it to happen, milking a bit of sympathy, but now even the "peers" they have been hiding behind have been calling bullshit on the act. Better devs know better, better acts show better.

I'd like to see where this goes before the nuclear option still available; there has been quite a bit of learning all around and tremendous growth on part of SDG. But I guess when you are at rock bottom and digging then any other direction would be an improvement.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Eli_Havelock

Learned
No one cares about what we have been going through?

Nope, sorry. Already blew all that goodwill right out of your asses along with your money.

It kinda makes you wonder what was reaaaallly happening there in posh San Fran.
Without any material updates provided, nothing stops any supposition that SDG just sat there and fucked off for years until the money ran out and they had to move.
(Milestones aren't just for publishers, they are for developers' benefit as well.)

But you'd have to be a HATER™ to even think of such a possibility!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
What exactly are they stuck on? I hope not netflix binge-watching. At this point, for any redemption they need more transprency and updates. People might not want to see playthroughs as its spoilers but people are in the dark. I didn't read about their personal issues. We all have issues. Get the game finished. Don't skimp on promises. Damn mystery as to what is going on.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
What exactly are they stuck on?
Getting their head outta their ass.

For how much they've been trying to act like they are peers of devs who have released more than a JollyDisk they can certainly bother to take some notes on how to update, or by the time this game (if it exists) does come out then the interest in a sequel will probably be very low. Their only thing is nostalgia-baiting and aside from their KS pitch it sounds like they aren't even up to doing that anymore. Their whole exclusive guild thing was a total bust:

I signed up with the private backer 'guild' for a few months late last year and the updates there were lacking too, so I canceled. There were only a couple things shared over the course of the year since they announced their special backer guild, but no 'substance' that would indicate the game was being worked on or where it was in regards to completion. It was just more of the lackluster kind of updates, but on a much smaller scale just like we have seen here.

It is really unfortunate. I hope the PC version will be out at some point in the future, but who knows when. I'm not holding my breath...

There is so much negativity around SD that even if they complete the game the 'buzz' will be to avoid it and not support it, certainly not support any future endeavor that SD might have. To many bridges have been burned for SD to rebuild their current brand.

The momentum, excitement, and support they had from the community all those years ago could have been the start to a solid foundation for a retro indie-game development company, upon which various installments of future Unknown Realm games could have been designed and released once their Engine was in place... but that is never going to happen now. Their Public Relation skills and idea of how to market goodwill among their backers is clearly in the toilet.

I still have some small amount of hope, because when I look back at the Kickstarter video I get excited. But like many here the lack of updates and the lack of any substance to the updates has me annoyed... but mostly disappointed.

If I was asked to give an opinion about SD I would say they have an incredibly compelling vision for an RPG retro video game that harkens back to the glory of gaming in my youth on my C128, but that they should not be taken seriously in any way what-so-ever, most certainly not be further funded in anyway, and should be held in complete disdain for the way they communicated with their primary backers.

I really don't care about the $119 I backed - I do well for myself so it has never been about the money. What I do care about is that I am starting to feel like I was used, that I was misled on where this game was said to be towards its completion in order to solicit funds. All because no substantial proof has been shared that many here ask to see, as well as the lack of communications from SD.

I do believe SD had good intentions but were out of their element and still are. They are incapable of project management and public relations... and their brand will forever be held in the lowest of regards because of it.

The few extra bucks spent was worth the peace of mind knowing if there was really anything more going on being shared behind the 'locked doors' for people kicking in more money. Now I know. I shared it here. So now we all know.

You're welcome. :)

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I need to go and look at my current pnp ks I helped fund. I believe I've collected on 3-4 already. Some don't post much, being their first KS. The most expensive is a 5e exploring the underworld akin to the DSG for 1e. That one might take a wile.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom