Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Cyberpunk 2077 Released

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
eh, my 3 yo "gaming"notebook wont run it anyways i suppose but i heard you could streamplay it via NvidiaNow or the like
I haven't tried it on Nvidia Now yet, but I can confirm Nvidia Now works fine, as long as your connection is good.

Diggfinger

Arcane
71% on Steam, is that a new low for a AAA launch day? Besides being broken and unoptimized, you cannot remap and apparently they forgot at least the German VO, nice.

So if the normies don't like it, it might be something for the Codex?

Metacritic 91% though...thats usually pretty solid, I believe.

Mr Matty (F:NV lover) says the game is solid and progression systems complex and worthwhile.
Mix of skill trees and progressing by using skills (a la Oblivion) which encourages different builds.

Biggest downside bugs (mostly solved with latest patch) and some 'fake' skill-checks.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Beyond the lackluster combat, the tedious and dated game mechanics, the world just feels uninteresting. Don't get me wrong, it looks *amazing.* But there isn't really anything to do other than the quests/content put there for you. I remember playing GTA for countless hours without touching a quest, just driving around, or blowing things up, or getting into escalating stand-offs with the police. I had a similar experience playing games like Fallout and Elder Scrolls. I believe the hallmark of a truly great open world game is when it can create a world you can have fun just hanging out in. I wasn't expecting Cyberpunk to be the next GTA/Skyrim, but I was expecting it to be a game you could have fun with just exploring around, getting into trouble... a game you could vibe to. As of now, the setting merely feels like a backdrop for a bunch of story missions, nothing more. Perhaps those story missions will get better, but as of now each one has been a variation on "Spot the person who's going to screw you over," and I have a feeling that isn't about to change.

Would it be accurate to say that they made hub-style content like that found in Bloodlines and The Outer Worlds and put it in a pointless open world?

MarxistPlato

Educated
Isn't that Mr. MattyPlays a guy who said that Fallout 4 is a near perfect game? I would rather have opinion from some codexer that plays these amiga games, see shit through these 1 pixel-on-screen-graphics and calling them all-time RPG's.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Open-world is pointless only from a gameplay design perspective, not so pointless from the financial one. Sales numbers are the best proof of it.

The initial idea behind Daggerfall, as expressed by its lead designer, was that the computer would be your DM and shuffle the furniture of the world around behind the scenes, on the fly, according to your choices.

The game fell far short of that ofc, and open world games since then have tended to rely on a bunch of kludgy tropes because of the difficulty of implementing such an idea; but the idea, as a gameplay design idea, at least in terms of aspiration, is sound. It's probably just going to take a few more iterations in terms of computer horsepower and AI before it can be fully implemented.

Once graphics are "done" (which I think we're fairly close to, in the large, since the incremental improvements there are getting tinier and tinier, and once RT is solid we'll be pretty much there), then I think developers will probably focus again on implementing that idea - much better AI, and a game that's actually quasi-intelligent, and interacts with the player more.

And it's going to be glorious :)

It's what a lot of people have always wanted from games, a virtual world that's a mirror. The ultimate in narcissism :)

jac8awol

Arbiter
Well the obvious takeaway is that they forgot about a core tenet of Cyberpunk: the high-tech/ low-life dichotomy. They were too busy focusing on the next gen super performance graphics, that they forgot their main audience is a scumbag gamer with a 5 year old potato rig that will crash to desktop just from gog galaxy. Amateurs!

tritosine2k

Erudite
Open-world is pointless only from a gameplay design perspective, not so pointless from the financial one. Sales numbers are the best proof of it.

The initial idea behind Daggerfall, as expressed by its lead designer, was that the computer would be your DM and shuffle the furniture of the world around behind the scenes, on the fly, according to your choices.

The game fell far short of that ofc, and open world games since then have tended to rely on a bunch of kludgy tropes because of the difficulty of implementing such an idea; but the idea, as a gameplay design idea, at least in terms of aspiration, is sound. It's probably just going to take a few more iterations in terms of computer horsepower and AI before it can be fully implemented.

Once graphics are "done" (which I think we're fairly close to, in the large, since the incremental improvements there are getting tinier and tinier, and once RT is solid we'll be pretty much there), then I think developers will probably focus again on implementing that idea - much better AI, and a game that's actually quasi-intelligent, and interacts with the player more.

It's what a lot of people have always wanted from games, a virtual world that's a mirror. The ultimate in narcissism :)

yeah just like hollywood cgi is pretty much there with their 1000s of processors at WETA and they tackled weather/weathering/time of day/fluids/RT and it's not hours per preview of a single frame.

Oh wait..

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
The design goal of Daggerfall will never be achieved because it is financially problematic. A game you can play over and over with amazing gameplay and storyline? Have you ever heard of something called capitalism mate? Because that system will never allow such a game. How will they make money after you have such a game?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

yeah just like hollywood cgi is pretty much there with their 1000s of processors at WETA and they tackled weather/weathering/time of day/fluids/RT and it's not hours per preview of a single frame.

Oh wait..

By and large, I don't think gamers are that attuned to a quest for absolute realism. In fact, I'd say graphics are actually good enough for "realistic" games right now, and the real "uncanny valley" problems are things like animation (esp facial), janky shoulders, weird body morphing, etc., etc.

I mean I'm sure they could implement a proper musculo-skeletal emulation right now, but it's probably too "expensive" - but lack of that is the big area where the illusion breaks down, especially when it's animated. The problem areas aren't textures, surfaces, reflections, etc., any more (PBR was a big step forward). That's all close enough for jazz now. What we need now is things like muscles squishing appropriately against body - given the bone limits underneath - and that sort of thing, and getting away from figures being just hollow shapes that morph. We need weight and momentum emulation too, etc. Ragdolls are still lamentable. Even hair and cloth still have some way to go.

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
The design goal of Daggerfall will never be achieved because it is financially problematic. A game you can play over and over with amazing gameplay and storyline? Have you ever heard of something called capitalism mate? Because that system will never allow such a game. How will they make money after you have such a game?
Make a better one?

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
The word on the street is that the game is shallow, buggy and with lots of spectacular but uninteractive decoys. I really hope the butthurt and apologism will be of the second coming magnitude.

Axioms

Arcane
Developer
Make a better one?
I dont see how this is relevant. I'm not saying you can't achieve the design goal, just that no studio that could do it would try to because its not good for the bottom line. Sorry your edgy one liner was misplaced.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
So you're saying developers purposely make shitty games to toss into the trash after a playthrough or two?

Outmind

Augur
The word on the street is that the game is shallow, buggy and with lots of spectacular but uninteractive decoys. I really hope the butthurt and apologism will be of the second coming magnitude.

Go to Steam and look at the second-highest-rated negative review by a user called Hypo. they bring up valid points across the board, but the comment section underneath is an utter shitshow.

Drakron

Arcane
Not shitty mate, just not with extensive procedural content.

I would not call Daggefall having "extensive procedural content", it had about like 8 templates and all of the random quests were pretty much the same simply ones just switching the where and what ... not much difference of guarding the Fighters Guild (that pretty much bog down to be there at x time and kill the spawned enemies) and go to a house and kill the spawned enemies there, they were "functional" when they worked because it wasnt that rare the game deciding to spawn the item on a unreachable location.

Daggerfall fame was the scope of having such a large landmass that wasnt separated by loading screens (even if it was certainly loading cells) that is still impressive today but it was mostly irrelevant, the dungeons also had a tendency to break in some form.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ah ok. I see what you mean. Yeah, even boomer-types like Hellgate london had a bit too much of that.... way too much and not enough original areas. CP2077 is loaded with this? Ugh! Will definitely wait until the very last patch and DLC ultimate edition is on mega sale then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom