Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
The game sold at least 8 million preorders that we know about, to say nothing of day 1 sales. It's already made about half a billion dollars, and could possibly beat GTA for best pre-order/first day sale combination (IIRC they made like $800 million). Whatever a person may think of the game, it is not a failure in any business sense of the word. They could stop everything now and still come out on top.
The expectation for them wasn't to sell 8 million Pre-Orders based on a few pretty Trailers and then yell "Psyche!", but to outdo The Witcher 3 that went on to top 50 million lifetime Sales with a genre-defining product that will herald the next decade of "Gaming" and be talked about as an example years from now and that they'll transition to a "Gaming as a Service" model like GTA V Online, which is why their market value cratered after release: https://www.pcgamesn.com/the-witcher/series-sales

The Witcher 3 didn't top 50 million, that was the entire Witcher Franchise. I mean, TW3 did sell well. But they're a long ways away from GTAV (something like 135 million sales of that title alone; the entire GTA franchise is upwards of 200 million copies).

As far as topping The Witcher 3 (28 million sold) they have a shot. I would hazard a guess that between pre-orders and first-day sales, they're at least at 12 million, maybe in the 16-20 million range -- there are some sources we don't get data for, I believe these numbers are not counting the Epic store or Stadia but I'm not sure. Factor in the eventual release of an upgraded version for next gen consoles, and I could see them clearing 28 million easily.

mondblut

Arcane
8 million copies sold in 24 hours. Second best after GTA V I think.

A million concurrent players on Steam. An absolute historic record for SP games. Second best is Fallout 4 with 470 000.

Come on, start posting what reeeera and the twatter wokerati think about it already. That's the primary reason we're all in this thread (after le funny bug images).

Gerrard

Arcane
I turned up all shadow options to max just to take this screenshot

1091500-20201211014429-1.jpg

Whoever claims this game has "best graphics evar" is a certified retard.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
So basically play the game like Watch Dogs?

Never played that, but maybe? Thinking back to the "play it your way!" ads, I do seem to recall hacking being a big part of the stealth presentation. Seems like hacking vending machines and shit to pull guys away from the other guards and then choking them out from behind are what stealth was designed around. I just want to shoot dudes with a silenced weapon from the shadows though, and spec'd into agility and suppressed weapons, and it sucks a bag of dicks.

Also none of this addresses main missions putting you into all out combat gauntlets.

racofer

Thread Incliner
:hmmm:
Soooo my gog install files are 100gb big.....but the installed game is 61 gb. What kind of dark polish magic is this?
Unlike other games, where you chose the language you with to download, the offline install files come with all languages.

Talk about treating offline installers as an afterthought. This is the nu-gog.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
And Pondsmith is ok with what they did with his system.

Btw, it's interesting about him.
I have no idea about him and his trivia.
How does he feel now? He is Negro that somehow ran from the block?
I think you need something in your head to actually make tabletop game, moreso with such setting.
How is he now? What does he feel, or more precisely he tell he feel about his work being materialized into a game?
Does he feel lucky now?
Any clues?

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Seeing as how any gameplay other than guns blazing is basically not viable, I predict not ever playing it unless I pirate it or get it for free somehow. I hate shooters that aren't Half-life 1 (for some reason the only one I've ever actually liked), so yeah. Too bad, I was expecting at least a bad Deus Ex clone.

Turjan

Arcane
What surprises me is that my game has been relatively bug-free so far.
It also seems to be dildo-free. No idea whether bug or feature.

Gargaune

Magister
Played a bit more through the Corpo and Nomad intros to get a feel for the game. Performance is steady on my aforementioned configuration, but the gameplay... eh. We all expected the combat to be shit from the leaks, but the effect is compounded by all around bad GUI choices. The interface is too cluttered, the controls scheme's a little peculiar and, as great as the game looks, there's a lot on screen that makes it hard to get your bearings. Style over substance might make a nice, edgy slogan for your game, but you really don't wanna live by it when you're designing gameplay. I also can't shake the feeling that V waddles around like a cow on rollerskates, there's a certain momentum to movement that's throwing me off, though that might just be that I'm not used to it yet, gotta be fair.

Nonetheless, this throws me back to Deus Ex 4 and one of the reasons I love that game so much. Poor UX design is one of my persistent bugbears, and I find myself constantly annoyed at most games, from Fallout 4 to ToEE, over poor buttons placement or rotten feedback structuring, anything that disrupts flow, but not with DX4. My only grievances there were the inventory click handling and the low walkmesh height tolerance, the rest was silky smooth and precise, whereas Cyberpunk 2077... isn't.

And for the love of God, CDPR, let us rebind F! And don't do a Bethesda job of it, rebind it fully so it applies to environmental interactions as well as dialogue! We've gone from the days when videogames had inbuilt key accelerators to not being able to rebind the most basic controls, talk about decline.

Couple other things I noticed...please stop posting your cyberpeens as fps matters exactly zero and theres enough of them in the game. Soft lock it to 30 and let it go man. Has no effect whatsoever in any way and it works better at 30 with no input lag. Particularly the one muppet who has a 2070 on a 1680 screen, really man what's your problem.
No problem, precisely the opposite, the screen's still fine so I keep using it. It's not a novel notion, you preening knob.

In Nvidia Control Panel:
Image Sharpening: "Sharpen 0.50, ignore film grain 0.20"
Antialiasing - Mode: "Off"
What's the Film Grain setting for? Threshold so you don't sharpen aliasing artifacts? I applied your suggestion but went with DeepOcean's recommended setting for 0.30 Film Grain, and I do feel like it's improved the picture, cut some of the DLSS fog, but I didn't take screenshots for side-by-side comparison.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Seeing as how any gameplay other than guns blazing is basically not viable, I predict not ever playing it unless I pirate it or get it for free somehow. I hate shooters that aren't Half-life 1 (for some reason the only one I've ever actually liked), so yeah. Too bad, I was expecting at least a bad Deus Ex clone.
hP3N9ff.png

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
there seriously is no other way but to shoot your way through the game. the stealth is completly terrible because the AI either doesn't see you at all or they see you through walls, the cameras that make no sense and a level design that is simply not made for a fun stealth playthrough.
to compare it even to new deus ex is insulting to that game. hacking sucks, i can't believe the hacking in watch dogs is actually better than here. i just finished the intro and the maelstrom hideout mission was basically like a bad call of duty level. imagine a call of duty level but if cod had retarded borderlands gameplay. the mission where you steal the biochip was a linear walking simulation with long badly animated cutscenes and a shooting out of a car section that would have been embarassing 20 years ago. the game wants to do so many things but doesn't do a single one well. night city looks amazing, it might simply be the coolest city every created in a videogame but it's not fun to move around in because the driving sucks. it wants to be a cool shooter but the AI, level design and the rpg shooting make the shooting parts suck. it wants to be an rpg but the actual rpg mechanics are complete shit. it's not fun to loot anything. it's not fun to read any of the ingame lore chips. it's an amazing looking city wasted on a terrible playing game. honestly the game would have been better if they completly dropped the rpg aspect, polished up the AI, shooting and driving and made it some sort of action adventure shooter in first person. like a polish gta with first person action parts and a branching narrative.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Investment return is also much higher on the latter - player tracking tools have discovered that most people don't even finish, let alone replay games. Investing in C&C (especially Witcher 2 like branching in the middle chapter) simply doesn't pay off.
flawed logic which has been disproved by josh

Roguey
Replayability is a side-effect of non-linear quest design and supporting role-playing in general, not a goal in itself.

The more meaningful choices you have, the stronger the role playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom