Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Lol, so far I haven't seen any real viable build path beyond amping up assault and handgun. Almost everything else is subpar. I like tech weapons, but they feel like electric nerf guns, not real firearms.

tech sniper does 700+ damage with headshots. I've cleared whole areas just running around knifing everyone. Plus stealth works fine. Haven't even opened up hacking yet and that would spread my points around too much. So I can see at least 2-3 builds for different playthroughs, assuming leveling past the curve isn't too easy.

That's way more than Geralt 'pick how overpowered you want your sword attacks to be via mutagens' W3.

I tried a hack/stealth build, a melee build and an assault/handgun build so far. Hack/stealth is almost pointless due to level design, is unreliable and most importantly clunky to use. Not a lot of fun.

Melee builds are about as useful as you'd think they are when most of the enemies in the game have firearms.

I can't believe they somehow made the "RPG" progression and loot systems even worse than the Witcher. My cyberhick wifebeater apparently has more kevlar in it than highend corpo armor.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nah. There's a "holy shit" factor to wandering around the city, even in areas where there's really nothing unique to interact with. I've only played a bit (so maybe I'm not seeing the seams yet), but at least architecturally and in terms of design, it doesn't feel like the typical video game city where buildings are copy-pasted and assets are reused everywhere. Even Vizima in Witcher, which was pretty big and had distinct districts with unique landmarks and feels, still seemed to have tons of copy-pasted buildings. In terms of total square footage for the game's entire map, it's actually fairly small as far as open world games go. But so much detail is crammed into the design of the city, and it's also very vertical.

This is what I'd rather open world games be. Smaller world maps, but with much more care and attention given to design, instead of just endless reused assets between interest points.
The thing is that with open world you run into technical problems that have been a too large bite for CDPR to chew, like pathfinding and plausibly reacting AI of random street NPCs. Also, have you noticed how all mission seem to take place in controlled environments and indoors, not in the "open world" itself? My bet is this is due to pathfinding issues again.

Additionally, as Tyranicon makes the point, once you have an open world - the next thing the average gamer (tm) will start hating you for is "there is nothing to do in this open world", or in the better case "all the activities are silly and repetitive" or "the rewards are token stuff that makes no difference". If the rewards are significant you will get "hah lol I can get totally OP by grinding side content, dumb game".

BTW supposedly this game doesn't use CPU much? My 5900X is at 50% just standing outside my apartment. At least 10 threads being more or less fully utilized.
The germans from pcgameshardware seem to claim its CPU-bound. I can't say, my 4790k stays at 99% load but I haven't checked how does it look by cores.
https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Cybe...p1LNk3xredN7X3Tvdfa-8d9q3xvaqoM-xFtJi0eag0B0g

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
having had much more time to play this game, it sure feels weird that they took this long to make what is effectively a ubisoft game.

ubisoft games are shit but at least in their open worlds the various systems work together. for example in far cry 3 it is absolutly possible to take out a base stealthily and remain unseen. doing stealth takedowns feels good and satisfying and if you get spotted the shooting, while simple, feels satisfying and fun. you don't have to constantly throw away your favourite weapon because the gun random goon #42324 dropped has more dps than the one you've been carrying and upgrading for a long while. as far as i remember far cry 3 also had better driving vehicles and if the AI actually follows you in a car chase during regular open world gameplay and not just on scripted missions.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
you don't have to constantly throw away your favourite weapon because the gun random goon #42324 dropped some other gun that has more dps than the one you've been carrying
This is what I'm talking about Juan_Carlo . He does not "have to" throw away his favorite weapon, it's not like he won't be able to win firefights, but it's like some strange force outside of his mind is making him make his game unfun. :lol:

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
Playing this game really reminds of some interview with a dev of Blizzard's cancelled MMO project Titan, where he said that they had this cool idea and when they finally got all the game systems working nothing clicked, it didn't blend together well, everything was kinda underwhelming. They scrapped the project and re-used the assets and engine or whatever to make Overwatch. Seems like CDProjekt should've done the same thing, turned it into some kind of shooter game. That or get rid of the open world and make it a smaller hub-based game. Maybe a few years from now the game will shine after a few expansions that re-work some of the core systems.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I have only run into a around 5 minor bugs/glitches and no slowdowns of any kind. Is there something wrong with me?

Shitposter
I have only run into a around 5 minor bugs/glitches and no slowdowns of any kind. Is there something wrong with me?

No I have like 8 hours in the game and I've encountered *1* (insignificant) bug
this thread is just a bunch of haters really
that's expected, game has a lot of themes that piss in the face of alt-righters, so of course people on this site would go out of their way to hate it

Steezus

Savant
Patron
The skill system has more depth than I would have ever give CDPR credit for after TW3. Seems to be quite a few different valid build paths with diverse playstyles, although it depends on how easy or difficult it is to min/max.

Question: is there any real point to non-lethal takedowns? Game doesn't seem to care if you murder everyone. Also, how do you level the Cold Blood and Engineer skills?

Lol, so far I haven't seen any real viable build path beyond amping up assault and handgun. Almost everything else is subpar. I like tech weapons, but they feel like electric nerf guns, not real firearms.

There's definitely playstyle variety. You can run & gun, hack (which is basically magic) and stealth. All viable. I'm playing a stealth/hacker combo on the highest difficulty and the level design has always accomodated my playstyle.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Additionally, as makes the point, once you have an open world - the next thing the average gamer (tm) will start hating you for is "there is nothing to do in this open world", or in the better case "all the activities are silly and repetitive" or "the rewards are token stuff that makes no difference". If the rewards are significant you will get "hah lol I can get totally OP by grinding side content, dumb game".

I agree. The city is beautiful, but it needs some sort of overlying game system to make it more engaging. I think GTA's open worlds are overrated, but they at least have the police chase mechanics and the fun of doing crazy shit with the physics. The LOTR games had the Nemesis system. Cyberpunk needs some sort of mini-game systems in its open world to make them interesting. Or even just smarter NPCs with schedules who actually do things everyday and persist in the world (didn't Witcher 3 have that? I can't remember).

Old Hans

Arcane
NPCs on the streets have the bare minimum reaction to your actions, or none at all when stealing right in front of them. Police chases are short-lived.

I think this because they dont even any kind of complex AI. like how cars will just stop forever if something gets in their way. It's a cheap fun house ride

Self-Ejected

T.Ashpool

Self-Ejected
So is this the end for CDPR?

i hope this will be at least their end of their reputation. i have no idea how they are getting away with this, performance on consoles is so bad it's crazy that it passed microsoft and sony certification.
their whole marketing for this game was pure lies and deception. watch the official "playstation 4 footage" video again and tell me this is how the game performs on ps4. in their "gameplay trailer" they tell you there is more to do in night city than just business, you see V and jackie dancing, drinking and talking to some NPC. turns out all of this was just part of a 1 minute cutscene that happens after you do the lifepath """"mission""""""

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom