Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

madhouse

Reminds me of playing a rougher version of the original Call of Duty.
wtf are you talking about, the only things RTCW and CoD have in common is a first person perspective and nazis.
Apparently the first CoD used the version of the same(already modified for RtCW) engine.
The game is powered by a modified version of the id Tech 3 engine, with changes made to support large outdoor areas. The Return to Castle Wolfenstein engine was subsequently used as the foundation for Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (Splash Damage/Activision), Trinity: The Shatter Effect (Gray Matter Interactive/Activision) (shown at E3 in 2003, but assumed cancelled)[13] and Call of Duty (Infinity Ward/Activision).

Wunderbar

Arcane
Stendhal yes, but RTCW and CoD were designed with vastly different philosophies. When it comes to the enemies / level / encounter design, RTCW is closer to Half-Life.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
While everyone is busy collecting dildos in Cyberpuke 2077, I've started playing Warhammer 40K Space Marines for the first time.

This is a manly, straighforward, no-nonsense Orc genocider without any pretensions. It's a game that harkens back to an era when popamole cover shooters where still considered the #1 conveyer of the decline. Although this particular game comes without a heretical cover system. It's so uncomplicated it almost feels innovative again.

For the Emprah!/10.

Caim

Arcane
While everyone is busy collecting dildos in Cyberpuke 2077, I've started playing Warhammer 40K Space Marines for the first time.

This is a manly, straighforward, no-nonsense Orc genocider without any pretensions. It's a game that harkens back to an era when popamole cover shooters where still considered the #1 conveyer of the decline. Although this particular game comes without a heretical cover system. It's so uncomplicated it almost feels innovative again.

For the Emprah!/10.
Space Marine was an excellent basis for a game and it would have been magnificent if we got a sequel that expanded on its core systems. Too bad that THQ went the way of the dodo before that happened.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Totally agree. I've completed Space Marine 3 times and played bits of it loads of times. There's a very satisfying feel to the bolter pistol that keeps me returning and the setting is great obviously. Would love to see a sequel but of course we're not allowed to have nice things

Fuck Leandros. Titus is innocent

Last edited:

Achiman

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Cyberpunked ofc. Only about an hour or so in. I have a newer computer and it looks like absolute sex. Gameplay over graphics, but damn if amazing graphics don't suck you in, especially in a FP perspective game.
I'd love to be able to turn off the quest compass though if anyone knows how.

Ophelmark

Barely Literate
Grand Theft Auto V.Man this game has been a huge dissaponitment so far.The story is downright crappy for all the characters.The only one that showed promise was Trevor but they even managed to fuck up his character.So i thought at least i would have the simulation aspects of the game to have fun...nope.While in Vice City you could look forward to buy several establishments and get rich.Here i'm with zero dollars Trevor...just did a main mission that gave me zero money...so i just look at google to see how to make any fucking money in this crappy game...dude buy shares and shit before the heists...or steal a supermarket...300 bucks later...i'm still wondering why i'm still playing this crap.Well at least i can date one of the strippers....''mrs stripper doesn't sleep around''....Maybe if i clear more story missions the fun times are going to be unlocked!!?...oh well at least i can hear some good music in the radio...nope 99% of the stations are rap crap or terrible comedy shows.There is even a ''classical'' rap station...LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished Journey the indie PS game that was ported to pc recently. It's an artsy game with nice visuals and basic gameplay, it's short a bit over 2 hours long and doesn't have that much replayability. It's a good journey(no pun intended) but short so recommended but only on sale

madhouse

I finished Prince of Persia Sands of Time for the n-th time. It's a beautiful game. Platforming, while not particularly challenging, is fun. Combat is bit of an afterthought and at times tedious, although there is no difficulty involved whatsoever. I did find it somewhat entertaining for some of the sections. There's a great variety of stages and set pieces, from fantastic royal courtyards to strange, forgotten caverns. The best of the bunch are the sections with lots of open space, especially the outdoor bits. Story plays out well and ends nicely. For me the series ends there plot-wise. Warrior Within is the edgy, buttrock cousin with the better gameplay, but none of the original charm. Of the third I don't remember much, but that it had more of the first's atmosphere and I liked it when I first played it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Not a game actually but I've been playing around with eXoDOS v5.0 (all pre-configured with DOSBox, a marked improvement over the previous version I had played several years ago where half the multiple CD-ROM games wouldn't launch because the config/conf files were fucked up). Wow, 7000+ games now; some great classics in there, along with a vast ocean of digital puke (how many Penthouse Pet puzzles does an incel have to complete before he realizes the hopelessness of his life and should just stick a sewing needle into his jugular?). However, it can lead to severe choice paralysis so ultimately I can't recommend it... too much. When I finally did temporarily conquer my choice paralysis and found something I was curious about - a very obscure, deep open world game called something like The Legend of Billy The Kid with artwork seemingly taken from actual photos of William Bonney & Pat Garrett - it was in fucking german and had a DOSbox incompatible timing issue with the mouse that made it unplayable. Oh well. Plenty of other fish in that sea of shit, a few of them golden.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I put Cyberpunk on hold until they fix it more. And I've switched to AC Odyssey. The only other AC game I played much of was Black Flag and I loved it. I was drawn to Odyssey because of the setting and because it has ship combat, which was a highlight of Black Flag. It's pretty fucking neato so far, although the huge alert on screen to use my eagle to scout when there's a target nearby, is fucking obnoxious. Sometimes it's some gatherable materials or some shit and I really don't care, but you can't deactivate it without turning off all tips, which I'll do later, but at 1 hour in, I'm sure I'd miss some shit and be more frustrated later

Weird vibes from this flashback...
WVviY8o.jpg

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Binge played all the way to Chapter 16: Spire of Madness in Space Marine, and boy what a sweaty romp this has been so far. This game shits over its contemporary counterparts (GoW) when it comes to enemy placement and set pieces. No fight overstays its welcome, every fight remains intense and requires the fullest use of your weapon repertoire. Mortars will shred you in seconds if you loiter around, and elite melee unites will boggle your health down fast if you don't master the stun n' heal Spiel fast. The Emperor does not reward the idle player.

Also the game manages to look utterly gorgeous despite it's aging engine and it's limited color palette and environments. A testament to carefully placed light sources and texture work. Much more pleasing to my eyes than these physically correct, super-realistic lighting methods deployed in most modern games these days.

Wunderbar

Arcane
xeS68WT.jpg

Forbidden Siren, a rather obscure survival horror from director of the first Silent Hill game.

Remember rather lengthy introductions in SHs, how games took their time to build up the tension and give player an opportunity to learn the controls before being pitted against real monsters? Well, in Siren the very first mission has a gun-totting zombified policeman chasing you through the woods. And just five minutes later you must navigate through a maze-like village, while managing an NPC companion, dodging invulnerable monsters, solving puzzles and avoiding a sniper who sits on top of a watchtower.

And that's just a tutorial section!

Based.

Last edited:

madhouse

How does it run in emulator? I'm assuming you're not using the original hardware.

Wunderbar

Arcane
How does it run in emulator? I'm assuming you're not using the original hardware.
maybe i'll encounter some gamebreaking bugs deeper into the game, but so far it looks and runs fine. Sightjacking works kinda wonky without a gamepad.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I wasn't hardkkkore enough to finish Forbidden Siren. There are some aspects of it that are absolutely spectacular, but it's also extremely obtuse and frustrating at certain points. Obscure cult classic more or less does it justice IMO.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I wasn't hardkkkore enough to finish Forbidden Siren. There are some aspects of it that are absolutely spectacular, but it's also extremely obtuse and frustrating at certain points. Obscure cult classic more or less does it justice IMO.
it feels like the game was designed to be solved through a group effort. Similarly to P.T. but not on the same scale - just a bunch of friends playing it simultaneously and sharing solutions between each other.

- so how far are you into the game?
- i'm on a mission #3, can't run past that shibito with a sickle
- hey, i remember that place. You must find a radio in the closest hut, put it into the bucket and lower that bucket into the well. Shibito will hear the radio noise and walk closer to investigate, and then you can push him into the well.
- oh thanks bro, i'll try this tomorrow

Vlajdermen

Arcane
I'm back home and got myself two games: The Sexy Brutale and Doom Eternal.

The former is an interesting puzzle adventure game, I like the time looping mechanic it's based around, and had fun solving all the puzzles, but I wish there was more of it. I know it wanted to be story-driven but the writing definitely wasn't good enough to justify that. The art style was good, though.

The latter is a huge improvement on the 2016 game. In general, it's because the combat feels more thought out, like in Serious Sam. Each weapon serves its own purpouse, and the reduced ammo capacity makes the chainsaw way more useful (it was like a novelty toy in the 2016 game). Same goes for the enemies. I do have some nitpicks but overall it's a good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom