Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Warhammer 40,000: Darktide - co-op action from Vermintide devs

ADL

Prophet
they aren't all shit the problem is they will license them out to anyone so yeah they have a lot of shit games but still..

:imperialscum::imperialscum::imperialscum:
Honestly I'll take that approach versus only getting 4-5 Star Wars games a decade where all of them are shit. At least you're getting three good Warhammer games for every five bad ones.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Fuck, now that I think about it Astra Militarum set against Genestealers/Tyranids in a tweaked L4D setup sounds kickass actually.

Game will be bugged shit which will be fat on internetz because muh Vermintide of guns for some weeks then everybody will move one cause of bugs, news at 11.

Add that latest Left 4 Dead update out of nowhere - it more than possible.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

From the developers of the best-selling and award-winning franchise Vermintide, Warhammer 40,000: Darktide is a visceral 4-player co-op action game set in hive Tertium. Fight together with your friends against hordes of enemies in this new Warhammer: 40,000 experience.

Set for release in 2021.

Last edited:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
"Gameplay trailer" - includes 20 seconds of actual gameplay.

Looks smooth though, and as a Vermintidefag I will slurp it all up as usual.

If these are really the only Characters we can choose from, then i can guarantee you there will massive qeues for the guardsman and maybe the ogryn too. First trailer showed us a group of guardsmen and now this...

I am kinda worried right now.

Beowulf

Arcane
"Gameplay trailer" - includes 20 seconds of actual gameplay.

Looks smooth though, and as a Vermintidefag I will slurp it all up as usual.

Vermintide 2 trailers also looked smooth.

Who knows, maybe they learned from their mistakes, but Fatshark is not to be trusted - lets see if the again go for Early Access and promising stuff that conveniently vanishes from the roadmap.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
If these are really the only Characters we can choose from, then i can guarantee you there will massive qeues for the guardsman and maybe the ogryn too. First trailer showed us a group of guardsmen and now this...

I am kinda worried right now.
I am a bit disappointed there is no psyker, but it might be they're saving it for DLC/later hype.

The character classes in the video seem to be stormtrooper, priestess, ogryn, ?sergeant?. Could also be this time they are not named, so you can play with two ogryns if you want, but that is of course baseless speculation.

The 2 seconds we see of the las weapon look great. I am hyped.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Who cares about vanilla humans and discount ork, give me some sexyeldar/space marine/tech priest/ork unholy co-op.

I want play the big guys.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I am quite happy that they were successful so far with vermintide and stuff to make another game in Wh40k setting. And I respect them for making a game in WHFB setting, instead of degenerate vomit that is Age of Sigmar shit.

Nahel

Arcane
Still waiting for versus for Vermintide 2...
No interest until then

Ezeekiel

Liturgist

Who knows, maybe they learned from their mistakes, but Fatshark is not to be trusted - lets see if the again go for Early Access and promising stuff that conveniently vanishes from the roadmap.

Fatshark never learn, it's literally their sole character trait :D

Also, looks pretty much exactly like a vermintide 2 reskin... Mechanics and everything.

We'll see how it goes, but I'm wary of their bs by now.

Beowulf

Arcane

And VT2 is a decent game, what's your point?

It's not a bad game, and I had fun playing it and might even go back to mashing LMB again, but the game had issues from the start.
Not to mention that this game is so decent, that when the patch notes mention that they got rid of the problem with hordes spawning right around the player character from thin air, you can get into the game and experience the issue that they claim they just fixed.
But they don't show that in the trailers. They do show a promise that might or might not happen and it's the nature of Fatshark it seems - that's my point.

kreight

Only a toxic developer could create such a toxic game as Vermintide. Darktide will have the same issues as Vermintide, mark my words.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I have never been much interested in Vermintide but Im looking forward to this just for opportunity to play with Imperial Guards, my favorite faction.

Hopefully there will be option to get Death Korps of Krieg skin for the trooper.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
Looks like a more competent Space Hulk: Deathwing. At least the melee combat looks like actual smiting, not tasering.

But then again this doesn't say much in this endless ocean of cheap Games Workshop trash. I wish Relic could have kept the exclusivity...

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

From the developers of the best-selling and award-winning franchise Vermintide, Warhammer 40,000: Darktide is a visceral 4-player co-op action game set in hive Tertium. Fight together with your friends against hordes of enemies in this new Warhammer: 40,000 experience.

Set for release in 2021.

Traitor guardsman used to advertise this POS and half of heroes being wombyn including ministorium priest with stick arms wielding power hammer, the Planet GW is located on has fallen to Chaos SJW heresy time for:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Vermintide 2 is incredibly based and so maddeningly difficult that Normies stand absolutely no chance, the perfect game for autists.
Fatshark on the other hand are lying scumbags that release buggy and unoptimized products, which are good despite that because someone in there must have some vague form of skill.

Could go either way.

69boagU.png

Vermintide has some of the best first person melee combat in any game I've played, second only to Mordhau objectively, but way more fun than that sweatfest subjectively. (Mount and Blade has quad directional attacks and blocking, woopee, who gives a shit. It was impressive for its time, not anymore.)

Anyone who says that Vermintide has bad melee combat, explain yourselves now. Allow someone who used to solo Legend difficulty and has every red item and weapon he desires to break it down for you plebeians. VT combat is immersive, brutal, weighty, and very intricate. At any point during combat you will be manipulating enemy positioning, choosing whether to attack, charge attack, or block, when to dodge and where, when to expend stamina points and block or push, whether to attack or not out of that push, when to use your ults, when to quickly swap to your ranged weapon to snipe the disabling special unit closing in on you in between enemy attacks, which attacks to combo into, where to distribute the damage of each swing across the varied enemies included in the horde attacking you, et cetera et cetera.

If you bring a light weapon like a dagger or a one handed axe to try and cleave through a crowd of enemies, your swing will stop midway as your weapon loses momentum and visually lodges itself into one of the enemies ganging up on you. Even heavy weapons experience the same problem with high enough enemy density, meaning you cannot just mash away without maneuvering the enemy horde into a favorable position for your attacks. Limbs and heads get severed or smashed depending on if you brought an edged or blunt weapon respectively, blood flies into your eyes and obscures your vision as you cleave through hordes of chaos and ratmen, the music is excellent and gets you in the appropriate mood, there's an unprecedented amount of dialogue and character building between the cast. Each career is fun in its own way and offers a unique playstyle, as well as between the characters themselves, besides the ranged careers which are easy, simple, and too boring. Being a new player and seeing the sheer size of a chaos horde charging up a hill or across a field towards you in an open map like Athel Yenlui or Against The Grain, or hearing the Norsca Chaos track kick in and a Spawn of Chaos barrel through an incoming horde towards you, will nearly certainly have you hyped up and ready to fight. You experience feelings from being a single human trying to survive a flood of adversaries all the way to a hero overcoming ridiculous odds all in one map assuming you don't die like a chump when push comes to shove.

In closing, VT melee combat is both mechanically deep and emotionally/aesthetically satisfying, compared to games like The Elder Scrolls where combat is stiff, animated locked, weightless, sterile, and devoid of skill. Unless someone can raise a good argument about why it's bad, I will continue to think that critics are either too bad to get past the beginning difficulty levels of the game where the game flow and weapon balance is completely off, or they just have bad taste and don't "get" it.

Vermintide has plenty of problems, which is why I still have a negative review of it on its store page despite almost having 900 hours played as of writing, but bad melee combat is not one of them. Going to day 1 purchase Darktide because it is just going to be Vermintide but 40k and that's exactly what I want from it.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Allow someone who used to solo Legend difficulty
This is pretty impressive.

I agree melee combat in vermintide is great. I have around 60 hours in both games and have beaten the hardest difficulty on most (but not all) maps.

What I would really like for darktide is being able to randomize tome locations or something, so there are always reasons to explore the map for secrets. Hunting for tomes is great fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom