Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Turjan

Arcane
my computer is quite old but it's still better than min reqs. the game is barely playable, everything to minimum it does 10, maybe 15 fps, and it doesn't look like something which should go that slow.
i tried, endured the pain, but every aspect of the tutorial i'm playing (because we live in the refund generation, the tutorial must make absolutely sure you see nothing of the real game before the two hours hit) has me either skeptical of having downright negative feelings toward it.
also: unlimited ammo.
It's funny that my old clunker below minimum specs runs the game reasonably well. And only with very few bugs. This makes me think that many of the oddities are related to those modern graphics gimmicks my computer doesn't know about.

And no, ammo isn't unlimited. That realization may hit you at inopportune times.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
my computer is quite old but it's still better than min reqs. the game is barely playable, everything to minimum it does 10, maybe 15 fps, and it doesn't look like something which should go that slow.
i tried, endured the pain, but every aspect of the tutorial i'm playing (because we live in the refund generation, the tutorial must make absolutely sure you see nothing of the real game before the two hours hit) has me either skeptical of having downright negative feelings toward it.
also: unlimited ammo.

And no, ammo isn't unlimited. That realization may hit you at inopportune times.

I never tested, but can you craft ammo in a gunfight?

Gerrard

Arcane
Okay, here's the full credits from in-game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY6yA-25lZk

I'm not sitting through all that, but you guys can look for yourselves.

No need to even sit past the first 20 seconds.

The game director is a man.
Second director and head of production is a man.
The gameplay design directors are men.
The story director is a man.
The quest design director is a man.

But sure, let's blame the wehman.

They are probably all white and straight too.

As I said earlier: it's the people calling the shots that are responsible for a game being great or shit. An animator may be responsible for an animation being subpar. But not for the entire game to be a poor man's GTA clone.
pgaYTPb.jpg

Readher

Savant
Is it hinted in the ending that they'll work on getting you a body later on though?
So, I datamined the endings and found something interesting.
As mentioned here already, you can save Takemura and he's the one who visits you at the end instead of Hellman. Has unique dialogue and sheds a lot of light on the ending. Some of the stuff I gathered:
1. Sometime along your trials, due to lack of any progress, Hanako has forgotten about you.

2. It was the clinic staff who contacted her and said you should get to speak to someone close to you since your state is terminal and proposed Secure Your Soul program to save you.

3. Hanako approved your participation in the program and sent Takemura (Hellman otherwise).

4. The reason why you can't get a new body easily is because the chip has modified your phenotype (making it very unique). That's on top of general tissue compatibility problem when it comes to transferring mind to another body, which doesn't exist when you transfer to an offspring (like Saburo did). The technology will have to advance before you can be transferred back.

5. Takemura would've taken the offer if he was in your position.

6. He says, I quote, "Arasaka keeps its word, always."

7. Says there is no "more to the story" when it comes to the offer, that the contract is there to protect you and that the only reason why you have to relinquish rights is because the law is behind the times (an engram is not legally a person).

8. Similarly to Hellman, finds V's idea that Arasaka wants to trick him with the offer ridiculous since V is irrelevant to them ("You overstate your importance. To the Arasakas, I fear you are nobody – were nobody.")

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hmm i just looked at the twtich stats and it seems that the game is kind off dying out. It started around 1.1-1.2 millions viewers and after three days it barely gets 200k. Hmm curious to see how it sold and how much it was refunded. Fuck,those stats should be made mandatory open to the public.

Robber Baron

Savant
On a brighter note think what Square-Enix execs(and many others) think right now looking at CP numbers

>That's it. We need our own futuristic title to leech of the hype this game has generated
>But we already have
>We already what?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
My main issue (Leaving the RPG elements aside) with the game is how janky everything feels. I don't get it, The Witcher 3 in movement looks and feels way solid in everything. This feels like a much cheaper game due to the lack of polish in visuals and gameplay.

MarxistPlato

Educated
Hmm i just looked at the twtich stats and it seems that the game is kind off dying out. It started around 1.1-1.2 millions viewers and after three days it barely gets 200k. Hmm curious to see how it sold and how much it was refunded. Fuck,those stats should be made mandatory open to the public.
That's how it is when streamers finish the game. Shroud averaged 60-100K on his streams, and he finished game in like 2,3 days.

My main issue (Leaving the RPG elements aside) with the game is how janky everything feels. I don't get it, The Witcher 3 in movement looks and feels way solid in everything. This feels like a much cheaper game due to the lack of polish in visuals and gameplay.
There's a gif around that explains the movement being so jank. It's basically they having snapped the camera to the player's face. So really, it's physics tuned for third-person being used for a first-person game. It's odd and very jarring.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Thats kind of a new one, I really had trouble getting the "interwoven" sidequests to trigger at *all*

I've seen complaints about it in several reviews from good YT reviewers, but so far reviewers have been letting it off lightly because I think they've been in more of an objective mode, kicking the game's tires and giving it a once-over, so to speak. But my sense is that it's actually going to be the one truly broken aspect of the game for people who are deeply into their immersion, especially for a company that prides itself on providing deep "being there" immersion (as opposed to deep progression immersion, which they've never terribly been good at, and nobody expects them to be terribly good at).

Even if you think about some people getting that problem and then you not getting them triggering at all (and if that's happening to you then it must be happening to others too), then that's two extremes of a timing problem, which would seem to show that something's very wrong with the system somewhere, and it's showing different symptoms depending on other different variables.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I swear if this ends up being voted Codex GotY, we might need to resort to rigging the voting.

There’d be some selfreflection to do for certain people at least, if this actually qualified as ”GOTY” of anything. No matter how ”good for what it is” it might turn out to be once the technical problems are dealt with.

Vatnik Wumao
Is it hinted in the ending that they'll work on getting you a body later on though?
So, I datamined the endings and found something interesting.
As mentioned here already, you can save Takemura and he's the one who visits you at the end instead of Hellman. Has unique dialogue and sheds a lot of light on the ending. Some of the stuff I gathered:
1. Sometime along your trials, due to lack of any progress, Hanako has forgotten about you.

2. It was the clinic staff who contacted her and said you should get to speak to someone close to you since your state is terminal and proposed Secure Your Soul program to save you.

3. Hanako approved your participation in the program and sent Takemura (Hellman otherwise).

4. The reason why you can't get a new body easily is because the chip has modified your phenotype (making it very unique). That's on top of general tissue compatibility problem when it comes to transferring mind to another body, which doesn't exist when you transfer to an offspring (like Saburo did). The technology will have to advance before you can be transferred back.

5. Takemura would've taken the offer if he was in your position.

6. He says, I quote, "Arasaka keeps its word, always."

7. Says there is no "more to the story" when it comes to the offer, that the contract is there to protect you and that the only reason why you have to relinquish rights is because the law is behind the times (an engram is not legally a person).

8. Similarly to Hellman, finds V's idea that Arasaka wants to trick him with the offer ridiculous since V is irrelevant to them ("You overstate your importance. To the Arasakas, I fear you are nobody – were nobody.")
If only I didn't fuck up my corpo playthrough by getting Goro killed due to Johnny's bullshit, I would've taken the deal. :argh:

i thought there was plenty of polish in the game.

catchaser

Savant
Ok, the game is shit. Reeealy bad. This comes from someone who loved Twitcher 3. Steam says i clocked 13 hours so far. I like to take my time, so i'm right just after the prologue. I took my time tweaking the settings, i tried 2 different openings took a couple of side quests and roamed the city for a while. This is what i have to say.

The positives:

- I guess the narrative is pretty solid. Characters and narratives are CDPR's strong point since their first game. Nothing blew me away up to this point, but it's solid, they still keep their bar above competition. I found Jackie surprisingly likeable, although the devs cut their corners and try to inject you with the feels in a breakneck pace. Nothing exceptional so far, but it just works.
- The dialog system when you can speak to multiple characters and/or interact with the environment (when it's scpripted) is quite a game changer. This is a novelty i hope will get adopted in other AAA RPGs.
- Corporate opening feels right. You start from the position of power and privilege and you can feel it.
- Night city feels big, mostly due to its verticality. On the surface it really adds another layer to the game. But...

The negatives:

- Night City lacks any character. Regardless of the clutter it's empty and shallow. NPCs are there just to fill the screen, there's no hint of any sort of simulation running undearneath. Traffic is artificial, encounters are hand placed and static.
- There are no side activities. There's nothing exciting to do. You get cars by doing side quests, you can't just buy a car. You can't change your looks past the character creation screen. Gun customization is almost nonexistent (you can add a scope and silencer to most guns, that's it).
- You can't join a gang, you can't join a corp, you can't role play your character that way. All you can do is a random selection of side quests.
- Looter shooter intemization. It's shit. It was bad in TW3, but here it's just unbareable. It has a gigantic impact on the shallowness of this game. You're showered with all kinds of weapons, you don't grow attached to any specific weapon because it will get replaced in a flash. Sifting through the inventory screen every couple minutes just to look for single digit uprgrades to your prefered weapon class DPS changes is tedious and tiresome. Even the goddamn color coding doesn't help, most often white, common weapons have better stats than their green counterparts. And greens don't have a single characteristic that makes them stand out from commons. More mod slots? Nah. Additional damage effects? Nope. Alternate attack modes? You wish. Color coding is used in loot grinding games to make you choose the best gear intuitively, here it just adds another layer of confusion.
- Shit stat progression system. It's absolutely shallow and unexciting. There's nothing interesting to get, most skills give you a % increase to damage, marginally longer hack duration, slightly faster movement speed etc. Deus Ex has significantly smaller upgrade trees but pretty much each and every skill point spent makes a difference. This game has skill trees shoved in just because it's trendy. Fuck, even Fallout 4's shitty perk progression system is more exciting than anything in CP 2077, and this is something i never expected to say.
- AI is very bad. Example - i grabbed a guy right in front of his friend, took him behind a corner and snapped his neck. And nobody noticed.
- Game map UI is atrocious. It's barely readable and filled with a ton of icons. For some reason it's also 3D therefore it's even less intuitive. Reminds me of Ass Creed Unity, but even that map was easier to navigate.

The meh:

- Max 2 mod slots on any weapon (optics/muzzle). Bland as fuck. And weapon mods have randomly rolled stats just as pretty much every other piece of gear in CP 2077.
- On my GTX 1080 at 1080p ultra the game looks pretty bad and runs at around 40 FPS. It's a blurry, glitchy mess with jarrig texture and object pop in and awful AA artifacts in motion. It looks good tho on a top notch PC 3000$+ PC.
- Nomad opening sucks. I expected to roam the desert for a while, instead you get a quick mission to smuggle a crate to Night City. The entire Badlands area feels severly underdeveloped anyway.
- The writing is okay. Not bad, not great, servicable.

Bad design:

- All clothing items have stats, so you either pick your favorite look at the cost of stats or you look like a bum wearing randomly found pieces of clothing. High heels, baggy pants, bikini bra, trenchcoat, biker helmet and sunglasses? Looking sharp, samurai.
- Road traffic is artificial. Cars move at snail's pace and thers no AI that governs road traffic anyway.
- Cinematic bits such as car chases are entirely scripted. For example - vehicles always crash/explode at the same moment regardless of your accuracy or the amount of bullets you waste on them.
- Enemies are bullet sponges. What's the point of investing in stealth (adds a damage multiplier to attacks from stealth) when silencers decrese base DPS? Once you're in combat you're left with inferior damage. Stealth breaks when you can't one shot an enemy, and so far i haven't managed to kill anyone with one shot because of the sponginess.
- The UI is a mess. It's mostly a copy paste job from TW3. It's unintuitive, most of the screen real estate is once again wasted.
- NPCs keep calling you all the time sometimes with new quests but mostly they spam you with meaningless messages. Usually you're too busy to listen or read those and they interrupt the game flow.
- Cops just spawn out of thin air when you commit crimes.
- Cyberware is a huge missed opportunity. They could do so much with this part of the game, but nope, it's just as bland as the skill and perk system. Where's night vision or thermal vision? Where's Deus Ex like strength enhancement? The sky is the limit here, but they went with the most bland selection they could think of. Fucking double jump doesn't even make sense.

And on top of all that add an unbelievable amount of bugs and glitches. The game feels half-finished and untested. I guess it was designed and put together by a committee of shareholders. It had to generate maximum hype before release, because it has very little to offer. I bet most of the alleged 300 million dollar budget was spent on marketing because i can't believe you can make a game this bland and half-assed for that amount of money. Seriously, Bethesda could make a better open world game, and Ubisoft could make a better city-roamer out of this.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
CDPR probably made a lot of money with this game but I don't know how good the future looks for them. Seems like their company strategy is built around CP2077, probably have a bunch of games planned, maybe all kinds of media projects, but the release of the game has been underwhelming and a disaster for many players. The setting is still the strongest aspect and in that sense they still have that going for them, but people aren't going to buy into the hype machine again. This was supposed to show off Night City, the place where thousands of stories are told, they even called it a "character" in marketing. But the City is totally dead and retarded and that's a huge wound for the brand. I don't see them graduating to being a Rockstar-level gaming juggernaut with this kind of performance and I doubt they'll have another shot. Of course, gamers are retards, so what do I know.

Last edited:

Riso

Arcane

MarxistPlato

Educated
CDPR probably made a lot of money with this game but I don't know how good the future looks for them. Seems like their company strategy is built around CP2077, probably have a bunch of games planned, maybe all kinds of media projects, but the release of the game has been underwhelming and a disaster for many players. The setting is still the strongest aspect and in that sense they still have that going for them, but people aren't going to buy into the hype machine again. This was supposed to show off Night City, the place where thousands of stories are be told, they even called it a "character" in marketing. But the City is totally dead and retarded and that's a huge wound for the brand. I don't see them graduating to being a Rockstar-level gaming juggernaut with this kind of performance and I doubt they'll have another shot. Of course, gamers are retards, so what do I know.

We just need to see game reception after planned DLC's. There's also multiplayer, so CDPR can still be as big as rockstar if they learned what they should do by that time.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
- Corporate opening feels right.
Dude, WHAT?

• Your boss kills several bigshots online cause he and the corporation are so EVIL.
  • You do not have any way to even refuse his proposal.
  • Dudes in the club do not kill you cause Jackie tells them to?
  • And they won't even touch you after what happened? You tried to kill one of the bosses from the corporation that can destroy members of Europarlament or whatever? But they just leave you be?
  • And the whole corporate stuff ends after 15 minutes or so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom