Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
CDPR probably made a lot of money with this game but I don't know how good the future looks for them. Seems like their company strategy is built around CP2077, probably have a bunch of games planned, maybe all kinds of media projects, but the release of the game has been underwhelming and a disaster for many players. The setting is still the strongest aspect and in that sense they still have that going for them, but people aren't going to buy into the hype machine again. This was supposed to show off Night City, the place where thousands of stories are be told, they even called it a "character" in marketing. But the City is totally dead and retarded and that's a huge wound for the brand. I don't see them graduating to being a Rockstar-level gaming juggernaut with this kind of performance and I doubt they'll have another shot. Of course, gamers are retards, so what do I know.

We just need to see game reception after planned DLC's. There's also multiplayer, so CDPR can still be as big as rockstar if they learned what they should do by that time.

How are they gonna pull off multiplayer when they can't make singleplayer work?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
- Max 2 mod slots on any weapon (optics/muzzle). Bland as fuck. And weapon mods have randomly rolled stats just as pretty much every other piece of gear in CP 2077.

Some of your points I agree with, some of them set a bar that I haven't seen any games reach, and certainly not in toto; but there are a few points that are just outright wrong and it makes it sound like you've just played the prologue or something. This one in particular stands out. Those are ATTACHMENTS you're talking about, and yes there are only two of those, as you say; but there are lots of weapons, ranged and melee that have MOD SLOTS (I've found weapons with 2, 3, or 4 mod slots so far, called epic, iconic and legendary) for MODS that do lots of different things (like elemental or bleeding damage additions, crit stuff, elemental crit stuff, procs, that kind of thing).

(Attachments btw are removable, mods aren't and die with disassembly.)

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't have performance issues, at least not INSIDE where the tutorials take place, but I feel the same.
The ammo is only unlimited in the beginning though.
The funny thing is that most missions, main missions or side missions, all happen in closed spaces and within buildings. At least all I've seen so far, with the exception of police missions of the type "clear out bandit camp", and even then it's a somehow delimited area within the open world. I guess it may have to do with the pathfinding again.

I'm just going to put this game down and pick it back up when I get a PS5.
Having watched PS4 peformance by DF on youtube, I'd advise the same. You'll just spoil your game. And on PS5 it seems to run great.

I swear if this ends up being voted Codex GotY, we might need to resort to rigging the voting.
I didn't vote for Witcher 3 for RPGOTY and I don't think I'll vote for this either. It's just not what I consider an RPG.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
- Corporate opening feels right.
Dude, WHAT?

• Your boss kills several bigshots online cause he and the corporation are so EVIL.
  • You do not have any way to even refuse his proposal.
  • Dudes in the club do not kill you cause Jackie tells them to?
  • And they won't even touch you after what happened? You tried to kill one of the bosses from the corporation that can destroy members of Europarlament or whatever? But they just leave you be?
  • And the whole corporate stuff ends after 15 minutes or so.

When I saw that first bulletpoint I was like ROFL, gg this is gonna be shit.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
I need a cybersoy tag because I WILL defend this game against all you clueless retards.

BTW if your complaints are bug you are 0) braindead because you are playing this on a last gen console 1) poor because your computer is shit 2) retarded because you aren't simply streaming the game like a normal person living in the 21sth century who has a shit computer. I so far experienced no issues beyond minor graphical glitches because I am playing on Nvidia's computers and not my shitty laptop that can't handle the polish spaghetti code.

- You can't join a gang, you can't join a corp, you can't role play your character that way. All you can do is a random selection of side quests.
You are retarded. "You can't join a gang" how the fuck do you think gangs work you fucking retard. It's not a fucking social club that they let random people join. Literally all of them are either ethnically or social class gated and that's not an environment that you can randomly enter into and it would completely change what the game is about. This game is about being a mercenary not a gangster, gangster live completely different lives. If they would allow you to "join a gang" it would be on the same shallow level as skyrim's joining the furry fightclub, the mage's english literature college and the thieve's guild at the same time.

The same goes for "joining a corp" with the added extra of are you fucking serious?? You want to become a wagie in a cyberpunk themed videogame??? The only exciting department you could join in a corp is some sort of street level operative or counter intel agent as Meredith or Corporate V are but once again, it's a completely different world which could be cool but would require an entire narrative around it.

Overall this complaint isn't valid.

- Looter shooter intemization. It's shit. It was bad in TW3, but here it's just unbareable. It has a gigantic impact on the shallowness of this game. You're showered with all kinds of weapons, you don't grow attached to any specific weapon because it will get replaced in a flash. Sifting through the inventory screen every couple minutes just to look for single digit uprgrades to your prefered weapon class DPS changes is tedious and tiresome. Even the goddamn color coding doesn't help, most often white, common weapons have better stats than their green counterparts. And greens don't have a single characteristic that makes them stand out from commons. More mod slots? Nah. Additional damage effects? Nope. Alternate attack modes? You wish. Color coding is used in loot grinding games to make you choose the best gear intuitively, here it just adds another layer of confusion.
Nobody is forcing you to this. The only reason to collect all gear is to either sell it all or decompose it to components if you are crafting gear yourself. Both are fine and standard in most RPGs.

Regarding marginal improvements, this exists only in your head. No normal person actually cares if their weapon is 1 dps less than the one in their backpack. You usually only significantly upgrade once you drop a new epic or a legendary or find a unique weapon type that you like playing with. I personally collect all shit that drops and go out of my way to do random gigs so I have more loot because I enjoy being a disenchanting pack rat and the mass of loot drops actually meshes well with a crafting style character(that is why high IQ people built their V once their realized it's a looter shooter)

Once again this complaint isn't valid because you are complaining about the wrong thing in looter shooter implementation so not valid.

Autistic codexer 0
Cybertrannies 2

- Shit stat progression system. It's absolutely shallow and unexciting. There's nothing interesting to get, most skills give you a % increase to damage, marginally longer hack duration, slightly faster movement speed etc. Deus Ex has significantly smaller upgrade trees but pretty much each and every skill point spent makes a difference. This game has skill trees shoved in just because it's trendy. Fuck, even Fallout 4's shitty perk progression system is more exciting than anything in CP 2077, and this is something i never expected to say.
This is straight up lying?
From my experience I had huge many very high impact perks that I chose. Some examples:
"Access points are always visible" from breach protocol made me spend time around various areas to access the net so I can datamine it and make some cash.
"Tech weapons don't autofire at max charge" + "Recover hp on hitting with a fully charged tech weapon" COMPLETELY revamped my playstyle with a tech shotgun. I am able to aggressively move from close cover to close blasting down enemies while not worrying as much about losses because I heal up on my shots, I still can get flanked and tempod and rushed by enemies while I'm reloading so it makes for a fun and powerful high risk high reward playstyle.
Stuff like "increased max tech charge" + "tech weapons recharge faster" is technically only numbers improvements but numbers do help you reach breaking points of timings that impact your playstyle. Static example of this is the pistol reload speed perk enabling me to get many more points in the shooting competition quest because of reduced down time, same thing applies to actual combat.
"Immune to affects of your grenades" allowed me for kinda goofy shit flame and fire aoe nades.
"Allows you to upgrade components into higher rarity ones" This perk combined with "You can craft X quality weapons" completely enabled my crafting builds allowing me to not only make full use of all the loot I am hoarding but also to make the specific and powerful weapon loadout I want.
"Reduced upgrade cost" perks help me with upgrading the gear that I want to use rather than the one which just has the highest raw stats
"You can aim while dodging" perk in pistols as well as the implant that does the same enables like very agile but deadly bullet time headshots, especially powerful against melee enemies and the implant basically won the sasquash fight for me.
"Dodging doesn't consume stamina" we naked souls now, I am not even going to write here because if you don't see how this perk will greatly impact your playstyle you are just very dumb

Also the double jump implant is extremely fun and impactful to use. Much better than cringe autistic shit like typhoon or w/e in human revolution. There are more I just mention a couple because this ABSOLUTE LIE about how bad the character advancement system is so absurd.

- All clothing items have stats, so you either pick your favorite look at the cost of stats or you look like a bum wearing randomly found pieces of clothing. High heels, baggy pants, bikini bra, trenchcoat, biker helmet and sunglasses? Looking sharp, samurai.
You can upgrade any item in the game, gonk. Collect your loot, disenchant or sell it and buy components, upgrade your fucking lvl 1 cool vest into a max level usable vest.

It's actually a very fucking good compromise between being able to wear what you want whenever and there existing item drop progression

Autistic codexer 0
Cybertranny Queen 4

I win, shut the fuck up. You have no taste. You don't understand video games. You don't know how to manage your expectations. You don't think for yourself. You jump for bandwagons. It's over.

catchaser

Savant
- Max 2 mod slots on any weapon (optics/muzzle). Bland as fuck. And weapon mods have randomly rolled stats just as pretty much every other piece of gear in CP 2077.

Some of your points I agree with, some of them set a bar that I haven't seen any games reach, and certainly not in toto; but there are a few points that are just outright wrong and it makes it sound like you've just played the prologue or something. This one in particular stands out. Those are ATTACHMENTS you're talking about, and yes there are only two of those, as you say; but there are lots of weapons, ranged and melee that have MOD SLOTS (I've found weapons with 2, 3, or 4 mod slots so far, called epic, iconic and legendary) for MODS that do lots of different things (like elemental or bleeding damage additions, crit stuff, elemental crit stuff, procs, that kind of thing).

(Attachments btw are removable, mods aren't and die with disassembly.)
I was talking about real life attachments like idk flashlights, expanded magazines, different kind of stocks or grips etc. The mods you mention are nothing but renamed runes or whatever they were called in TW3. They're bland and just a lazy copy paste from their previous title.

- Corporate opening feels right.
Dude, WHAT?

• Your boss kills several bigshots online cause he and the corporation are so EVIL.
  • You do not have any way to even refuse his proposal.
  • Dudes in the club do not kill you cause Jackie tells them to?
  • And they won't even touch you after what happened? You tried to kill one of the bosses from the corporation that can destroy members of Europarlament or whatever? But they just leave you be?
  • And the whole corporate stuff ends after 15 minutes or so.
I said it feels right, it's still underdeveloped like the rest of the game but it's still better than the nomad opening which also ends after roughly 15 minutes.

Readher

Savant
is this an action adventure discussion board?
b7802d4f505858bf82457f634eebc861.jpg

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
You are retarded. "You can't join a gang" how the fuck do you think gangs work you fucking retard. It's not a fucking social club that they let random people join. Literally all of them are either ethnically or social class gated and that's not an environment that you can randomly enter into and it would completely change what the game is about. This game is about being a mercenary not a gangster, gangster live completely different lives. If they would allow you to "join a gang" it would be on the same shallow level as skyrim's joining the furry fightclub, the mage's english literature college and the thieve's guild at the same time.

The same goes for "joining a corp" with the added extra of are you fucking serious?? You want to become a wagie in a cyberpunk themed videogame??? The only exciting department you could join in a corp is some sort of street level operative or counter intel agent as Meredith or Corporate V are but once again, it's a completely different world which could be cool but would require an entire narrative around it.
I read this out loud in Johnny Silverhand's voice, it sounded glorious.

I'm also sick and tired of the Obsidian-style superficial "4 factions, each with an NPC spokesman" routine. It may work in a more abstracted isometric game, but for a 1st person game, it takes you out of the experience imo.

Hellion

Arcane
I just started a quest that deals with a death row inmate who found God while in prison and cut a deal with a Corpo/TV Studio, according to which he would be released if he agrees to commit suicide by CRUCIFIXION, while a tv crew films the whole thing and makes a BD out of it.

A lot can be said about aspects like the AI or game mechanics etc, but the writing is quite awesome at times.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I think people were expecting this to be more than just a shooter. I certainly did. It's definitely wasted potential and not something I'd do for a cyberpunk setting myself, but there you go.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
If you can't see the potential for a sandbox style game with an array of factions ala Morrowind, well, that's your deal.

It does feel like a missed opportunity, but CDPR has never really been interested in that sort of game. So it is what it is.

Anyway, first thing I noticed with the patch was actual cars on the road and my computer no longer sounds like a jet turbine. So that's neat.

None

Scholar
If you can't see the potential for a sandbox style game with an array of factions ala Morrowind, well, that's your deal.

It does feel like a missed opportunity, but CDPR has never really been interested in that sort of game. So it is what it is.

Anyway, first thing I noticed with the patch was actual cars on the road and my computer no longer sounds like a jet turbine. So that's neat.

They should just say fuck it and go full GTA 2077 with content patches. Let me go holobowling with Jackie, eat one of those burgers thats the size of your head at Tom's Diner, make every arcade machine playable, etc.

I do hope we see some content patches.

Dodo1610

Arcane
After 5h, I am done with this Polish early access scam. Fucking BG3 feels like a more polished and complete for experience at the moment. It's not just the bugs and glitches whole aspects of the game just feel like placeholders like the abysmal civilian AI.
:despair:

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
Lol, I was watching Josh' stream. He goes to fight the "one mind - two bodies" NPC. It calls him a bitch. Josh suddenly assumes a very serious face expression and says "Cool it with the misogynistic slurs, thank you". I can't make out if he was serious but if yes, this looks like the result some MKULTRA-level brainwashing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom