Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Risen Random Risen thread

Zariusz

Arbiter
No purpose really, just for memories.
For some reason i just opened my save from 3 years ago, i still remember this beach, when this music started i just knew that im going to stay on Faranga for a long time.

VwM0qWV.png

bmzoaLy.png

lIrSSj2.png

oP4cEzt.png

Eh its just sad really, i love this game but it always will be outshined by original Gothic, it barely has any mods, it doesnt have glorious potato dub(while its worse sequel has), its sequels completly abandoned original atmosphere.
But still, soundtrack is timeless, island is beautiful and atmosphere is just... you know how good it is.
What do you think about this 11 years old game?

Last edited:

Sheepherder

Augur
It's a great game, which had its name tarnished by trash sequels. Its main city rivals and in some aspects is better than Khorinis.

Tigranes

Arcane
It's a really nice game and I enjoy playing it through every once in a while. The early romps with the colonial island vibe really sets it apart.

Deadyawn

Learned
It's an awesome game! Shame that by chapter 3 you've pretty much seen every corner of the island and the only thing left to explore are samey temples.

Zariusz

Arbiter
It's an awesome game! Shame that by chapter 3 you've pretty much seen every corner of the island and the only thing left to explore are samey temples.
Exploring Faranga was best part of this game, i found that there was a mod in the making that would expand island to the north (well it was called The North) but it was cancelled this year because devs could not find modeller or some other shit... Also this year there was possibility for glorious potato dub for this game but only 12% of full price was gathered. :negative:

EDIT:
Also Merry Christmas, you prestigious bastards
:brodex:

Last edited:

overly excitable young man

Amazing game if you know when to stop.
First half is great and has G1, G2 quality.
Second half ruins it all.
Best combat in a pb game and overall one of the better combat systems seen in action rpgs.

Risen 1 is alright. Nowhere near as interesting as Gothic I & II and the last act is pretty garbage. But it still manages to be nice and immersive. Also this game has a lot of animations, considering how many items have use animations.

vazha

Arcane
It's a great game, which had its name tarnished by trash sequels. Its main city rivals and in some aspects is better than Khorinis.

City? More like tiny seaside town or a big village.
That's called a settlement.

Re: the game itself, sadly by the time I got to play it my hand & eye coordination was ruined to the point that properly playing anything not turn-based or RT with pause was out of question. So I remember I tried to cheese first encounters and then made a mage that was just running and casting spells, but it was really suboptimal and I soon gave it all up. Nice setting & atmosphere though.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Best game they made after Gothic 2. Shame about everything after.

No one makes them like PB used to.

P.S No ELEX crap pls. It suffers from what I call "open world syndrome", where the world is too big for its own good. Gothic and Risen 1 understand the value of LESS BUT BETTER.

kreight

You know these devs used to have a series of videos discussing various aspects of game development. The bald guy I think Rozenkrantz and his wife. I wonder why this forum doesn't have a discussion dedicated to those videos. Ah yes, because there is a Sawyer soyery discussion with syrupy shit coming out of his mouth and ears.

Falksi

Arcane
Not enough love for the best entry in the series on here. Risen 2.

The humour in the game is brilliant, and & underlying racism + sexism in this scene in particular is mint......

Last edited:

Celeb

Literate
What do you think about this 11 years old game?
Good but not great.

The world and factions are well crafted. Relations between Don's people and Inquisition are presented in an interesting way. At the beginning, quests are enjoyable and character progression is satisfying. Little things like limitless equipment, convenient UI and ridiculous ragdolls also enhance the gameplay.

Sadly, the second half of game ruins the experience - gameplay changes to boring dungeon crawling, characters become useless, side quests disappear etc. I am also not fond of exploration (too many monsters to kill and too much grass obstructing pickable plants) as well as the combat. Lastly, little things like lack of FPP, lack of visible in-game time and half-assed dubbing decrease my enjoyment from playing.

Have a screenshot as well.
VbxLglM.jpg

Jvegi

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I can't into Risen, but I'd like to. All games are shit, and I've already played the good ones recently, like IWD 2, KotC, and ToEE. And they were shit. Good shit, but still shit. I'm playing MM7 and it's a turd.

I'm at the very beginning, just got into town. The crash site and the farm stuff work really well, but the town is overwhelming. Everyone wants has problems to fix and they need me to fix them. It might be my nostalgia talking, but I don't remember G1&2 having everyone pushing their problems on me. It was I who needed help and I was ready to make myself useful to get ahead. I've been in the town for 10 minutes and 10 people have asked me to sell their fish or rescue them. It's silly.

Does this game suffer from the modern disease of making our character a hero and a rescuer beloved by all who cross paths with him?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does this game suffer from the modern disease of making our character a hero and a rescuer beloved by all who cross paths with him?
It's been 10 years since I played - first Steam review I ever wrote! - but I don't remember the writing being that odious. I seem to recall getting into my faction of choice being a real trial because of a high ranking guy who was a complete dick to me for no reason. One or two NPCs I got along with okay. Other than that, I have no memory of being beloved.

You do end up fighting a final boss that's going to destroy the world though, incidentally in one of the crappiest boss fights seen in an RPG.

Celeb

Literate
The protagonist is not a typical hero but he does achieve more than any other character in the game. You may have a feeling that you are the only one doing anything in the plot.
Additionally, you definitely do not end up being loved by everyone.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom