Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Good Doom/Heretic/Hexen WADs

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Another portion of screenshots from Ashes: Afterglow
Tm2xDN9l.png

za3xfsgl.png

Vfy923Gl.png

DZIPGp3l.png

HbC5huil.png

5dQlhJSl.png

More industrial themes, feels like final part of the first episode, maybe there will be another military base? Or we can learn more about this mad general we heard about?

lightbane

Arcane
In Q1/2021, according to that trailer. I suppose I can start playing this mod then, as it is nearly-completed.

Curratum

Now if only I could also put up with all the Tormentorisms in those levels... :negative:

lightbane

Arcane
Now if only I could also put up with all the Tormentorisms in those levels... :negative:
Can you elaborate please? I don't get what do you mean.
Also, is this wad compatible with other minor mods that improve graphics and such small changes? I doubt it, but perhaps someone can try.
I bet it has a way to punish the player if Brutal Doom is introduced, as many other mad modders did. Assuming it works, of course.

Riskbreaker

I'd guess that some minor cosmetic enhancement mods, say the enhanced gore/splatter ones like nashgore or ketchup, would work here. Doubt that anything more substantial would.

Curratum

Also, is this wad compatible with other minor mods that improve graphics and such small changes? I doubt it, but perhaps someone can try.
I bet it has a way to punish the player if Brutal Doom is introduced, as many other mad modders did. Assuming it works, of course.

Tormentor has a very... specific mapping style. One that is sometimes characterized by stuffing a level with so much detail that you start getting caught up on something every 5 feet and enemies are pouring out of the fucking woodwork, to the point where you get nauseous.

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Tormentor has a very... specific mapping style. One that is sometimes characterized by stuffing a level with so much detail that you start getting caught up on something every 5 feet and enemies are pouring out of the fucking woodwork, to the point where you get nauseous.
Sounds like classic case of "just because you can doesn't mean you should", nothing new in modding world, and to some extent - games.

Curratum

Sounds like classic case of "just because you can doesn't mean you should", nothing new in modding world, and to some extent - games.

This is in large part why Ashes and Vostyok's / ReformedJoe's work is so amazing. They have a very uncanny grasp on the EXACT amount of detail that the Doom engine needs to have levels that look appealing and detailed without being visually busy to the point where youe head hurts. I mean, look at those screenshots above in your own post. This is relatively light detail and sector work, but texturing, contrast, light and shadow give it so much more character than just bare sectors would.

On the other hand, Tormentor and the people working on Blade of Agony like to stuff each room full of detail and go for "ultra realism" that the Doom engine is not particularly good at.

Sjukob

Arcane
2020 cacowards are here!

How's this year been for Doom? I haven't been keeping up with latest releases. Been going through Eternal Doom lately - the megawad, not the 2020 game, because I wanted to see what's it like.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
*checks* Goddamn, every year these articles are becoming more and more wordy. Also, no mention of the demo of the Ashes wad? :decline:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Well, I liked at least one of Tormentor667's megawads way back when. Absolutely insane in pushing all limits. Can't recall the title but I remember there was this part where you had to trudge up this spiral passage winding all around a huge mountain and you could see flames and figures far below the mountain in the distance. Didn't know the engine could even support it. For once I didn't feel alone in the Doomverse.

Curratum

Well, I liked at least one of Tormentor667's megawads way back when. Absolutely insane in pushing all limits. Can't recall the title but I remember there was this part where you had to trudge up this spiral passage winding all around a huge mountain and you could see flames and figures far below the mountain in the distance. Didn't know the engine could even support it. For once I didn't feel alone in the Doomverse.

Ultimate Torment and Torture.

Tormentor is AMAZING at pushing the engine and forcing GrafZahl to implement new stuff, but this is also the reason why GZDoom is starting to REALLY run like shit even on good hardware.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
This is the peak of gaming. Enjoy the future.
EpNK_fNXYAYMwhc

You got the F.E.A.R AI working in GZDoom? Or is it just the horror elements?
Mostly yes, having sophicated AI was a key focus from day one. The enemy is aware of each others presence and will communicate to take you down. A large amount of professional VO is recorded to help sell that. We will make sure to show this in a later post! :)
no video, for now

another project
https://twitter.com/SuppliceGame
EpNp1hpWMAAm9jC

Riskbreaker

This is the peak of gaming. Enjoy the future.
EpNK_fNXYAYMwhc

You got the F.E.A.R AI working in GZDoom? Or is it just the horror elements?
Mostly yes, having sophicated AI was a key focus from day one. The enemy is aware of each others presence and will communicate to take you down. A large amount of professional VO is recorded to help sell that. We will make sure to show this in a later post! :)
no video, for now

another project
https://twitter.com/SuppliceGame
EpNp1hpWMAAm9jC

We already had a couple of GZDoom projects going commercial and, honestly, both of these look kinda promising. Supplice in particular is something I've been aware for a while.

lightbane

Arcane
I watched a longplay of that one. Only for Doom fanatics. Minimal changes (the plasma gun has a slightly retouched sprite and new sounds), there's at least one new enemy (a Lost Soul that shoots you like a chaingunner, lol), and a new final boss (a variant of Icon of Sin). The worst part is that the ending connects it with nu-Doom and the whole Doom Slayer non-sense.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom