Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pillars of Eternity series is better written than Pathfinder: Kingmaker

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Any word on whether this time there will be actual towns/villages/cities instead of a single "capital" the size of Gullykin? Say what you want about Pillars of Eternity - at least they had proper settlements, and Nehekata is still the single best realised city in any RPG.
As much as it pains to say anything good about dumpster fire, neketeka wasn't bad, its a shame it was stuck in such a shitty game with such shitty writers.

PoE, both games, are better written than Kingmaker.

Yosharian

Arcane
Any word on whether this time there will be actual towns/villages/cities instead of a single "capital" the size of Gullykin? Say what you want about Pillars of Eternity - at least they had proper settlements, and Nehekata is still the single best realised city in any RPG.
As much as it pains to say anything good about dumpster fire, neketeka wasn't bad, its a shame it was stuck in such a shitty game with such shitty writers.

What.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

What.

Are you going to pretend it's otherwise? Just because you like a game more doesn't mean every aspect of it is superior to its counterparts.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Kingmaker is mediocre for the most part but you at least understand what's going on and don't fall asleep reading it. Unlike with PoE.

MarxistPlato

Educated
For me, Pillars of Eternity had this feeling of old school CRPG - probably because of art style and lore. On the other hand, Kingmaker felt like CRPG for guys who want to slay a bignastyevildragon:mad: and then fuck their companion and end the game. I cringed everytime when kingmaker gave me this quest about some evil, bad characters and when they wanted me to appreciate this grim atmosphere surrounding it (which is impossible considering this candy art style).

Yosharian

Arcane
For me, Pillars of Eternity had this feeling of old school CRPG - probably because of art style and lore. On the other hand, Kingmaker felt like CRPG for guys who want to slay a bignastyevildragon:mad: and then fuck their companion and end the game. I cringed everytime when kingmaker gave me this quest about some evil, bad characters and when they wanted me to appreciate this grim atmosphere surrounding it (which is impossible considering this candy art style).
Old school RPG? PoE's cringey pretentious writing is nothing like old school RPG writing though.

Art style eh maybe, but PoE's art style was never the problem.

eli

Learned
Old school RPG? PoE's cringey pretentious writing is nothing like old school RPG writing though.

Art style eh maybe, but PoE's art style was never the problem.
but it is made for the pretentiousness of codex.

MarxistPlato

Educated
Old school RPG? PoE's cringey pretentious writing is nothing like old school RPG writing.

Not for me, it seems. As PoE 2 Writing wasn't the best, or even very good, the first game still have oldschool feel to me. Sequel is more of a, i don't know, Skyrim CRPG? I replayed first game, but the second was kinda meh with replayability to me to be fair. What i would give to have sequel to Tyranny though :(.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
PoE's writing is abysmal bro. I don't even like Kingmaker's that much, but it's a lot better than Pillars Of Boredom.

Abysmal how? The only repeated criticism is about "lore dumps", but those can be just omitted. If you don't want to know about a given subject - don't ask about it.

user

Savant
PoE's writing is abysmal bro. I don't even like Kingmaker's that much, but it's a lot better than Pillars Of Boredom.

Abysmal how? The only repeated criticism is about "lore dumps", but those can be just omitted. If you don't want to know about a given subject - don't ask about it.

You mean this whole sequence doesn't sound like homosexual intercourse to you?

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

No? And maybe you should play the game, instead of picking up links from 4chan?

user

Savant

Just jesting comrade!
love.png

But in all seriousness, it's as if the writers thought that if they put a pompous adjective before every other word, it would get them a Pulitzer. The narrator's overly dramatic tone exacerbates that further. And personally I was never drawn in by the plot, not much is really happening during the chase and I didn't like the gods gathering and bickering like they were in some kind of Zoom chat or Google hangouts meeting.

P:K is as cliche as it gets when it comes to narrative. But strangely (?) the writing, while not too fancy, it felt real, straightforward and conveyed every situation wonderfully.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Just jesting comrade!
love.png

But in all seriousness, it's as if the writers thought that if they put a pompous adjective before every other word, it would get them a Pulitzer. The narrator's overly dramatic tone exacerbates that further. And personally I was never drawn in by the plot, not much is really happening during the chase and I didn't like the gods gathering and bickering like they were in some kind of Zoom chat or Google hangouts meeting.

P:K is as cliche as it gets when it comes to narrative. But strangely (?) the writing, while not too fancy, it felt real, straightforward and conveyed every situation wonderfully.

Really? The writing is straightforward? Riddle me this, then - WHY does the main character wants to become Baron?

user

Savant

Just jesting comrade!
love.png

Really? The writing is straightforward? Riddle me this, then - WHY does the main character wants to become Baron?

The game just doesn't railroad you into a path! You can choose your own motivation!

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum

Just jesting comrade!
love.png

The game just doesn't railroad you into a path! You can choose your own motivation!

Actually no, you can't. There isn't a single conversation where you can state exactly why you arrived at the Stolen Lands.

Delterius

Arcane

Just jesting comrade!
love.png

Actually no, you can't. There isn't a single conversation where you can state exactly why you arrived at the Stolen Lands.
The reason why the player comes to the stolen lands (bought the game, started new game) is because they wanted to become king/queen/el presidente of the stolen lands.

Can't get more straightforward than that.

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
The reason why the player comes to the stolen lands (bought the game, started new game) is because they wanted to become king/queen/el presidente of the stolen lands.

Can't get more straightforward than that.
This. The PC's motivation couldn't possibly be more straightforward. Asking "but why does he hold that motivation" is just jumping into a rabbit hole with no end. It's literally what a 5-year-old would do, keep asking "why" until you get frustrated and tell him to shut up.

Speaking of motivation, why does your character in PoE decide leave to his home and settle in a cursed frontier? Why does he abandon this goal so easily to go on an adventure, hunting ancient cults and body-hopping villains? Why does Thaos want to go through all the trouble and risk of restoring Woedica to her place as the head of the pantheon when he should be serving the pantheon as a whole? And why does does an advanced, religious society, when faced with absolute proof that their gods are not real, decide to calmly commit collective suicide to create fake gods for others to worship?

I'm pretty sure you do get asked this question at least once in the game. Not sure by who, but I remember my answer was a sarcastic "I saw a line where baronies were handed out, so I decided to give it a go" or something like that.

Self-Ejected

Joseph Stalin

Totally not Auraculum
Delterius Roguey

Only we don't arrive in Restov to gain our own land. The whole project is a secret, so that House Surtova doesn't butt in, so we find out about gaining a potential barony at the meeting with Lady Aldori.

See what I mean? You might as well play an amnesiac Gordon Freeman, for all the character and flavour you can inject into your protagonist. Other than alignment, neither race, class, nor religion really play a role - they have a very, very small handful of unique reactions (for example, Aasimar has one; a follower of Nethys has two; a follower of Gozreh has one etc.)

Delterius

Arcane
Delterius Roguey

Only we don't arrive in Restov to gain our own land. The whole project is a secret, so that House Surtova doesn't butt in, so we find out about gaining a potential barony at the meeting with Lady Aldori.

See what I mean? You might as well play an amnesiac Gordon Freeman, for all the character and flavour you can inject into your protagonist. Other than alignment, neither race, class, nor religion really play a role - they have a very, very small handful of unique reactions (for example, Aasimar has one; a follower of Nethys has two; a follower of Gozreh has one etc.)
It's ok to be an adventurer who was just going to do his job, adventuring, but gained an extra motivationings and became King/Queen/Il Presidenterius.

I like PoE and Calisca's dialogue is a nice touch but its not necessary because I already bought a game about Kingmaking and since that's what I want to do I'll create my character with world knowledge of Golarion/Thedas/Eora tyvm.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
you're the kind of player that regularly gets the dungeon masters guide thrown at his head, huh?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom