Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Whatever 2020 releases you've played

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I agree,they could just be put in the end of the post under some spoiler. No need to have 200 "RPGs" released in 2020 and all of them being some asset flip unplayable garbage lol. It is better to have a list that of 10 decent to good games that most people didn't know existed,than this.

This is clearly not the list for you. I suggest you create a "good RPGs released in 2020" thread so we can endlessly nitpick it for you.

Well, why not, I'll start, although in the end I mentioned everything I've played instead of focusing on the great ones.

Myth Bearer
Ra6dXd.png
If not a particularly great one the game is still somewhat interesting. There's a big open world, which changes as you advance through chapters, the system is deterministic, and monsters stand there on the map, they don't move (you take some fixed damage, based on your armor when attacking them).

Gates of integrity
A straightforward Bard's Tale clone for the biggest part. Each of the dungeon features one riddle.

Horizon's Gate
Very good game in my opinion, highly recommend, as the rest of the related series, probably more if you're looking for a exploration and combat on land rather than an Uncharted Waters clone anyway.
Codex review by myself for more info

Knights of the chalice 2
Codex review for more info
The game is not publicly available yet.

Tenderfoot Tactics
A classic RPG (I mean with open-world exploration, not missions), which is why I was very enthusiast about it, with combat and a stat system inspired by Final Fantasy Tactics. Not as good as it may sound but alright anyway. The two flaws of the game are a quite low number of different enemies compared to the number of encounters you're going to take, and some level scaling (I didn't feel it was insane though'). The equipment system is also quite limited. However the atmosphere is cool, the exploration is fun and developing your characters so they become warmachines is fun too. In current state I don't highly recommend for nor against it, and they're still polishing the game.

Outta Gas
The other games in the list I've completed but this one I have not played much because it does not run well on my pc. However what I've played of it was on the positive side and since it can be discarded based on the look I think it's still worth a mention. Metal setting, customization, resource management and this actual body part damage system seemed cool. There's a demo on Steam if you want to try it.

Wunderbar

Arcane
to think, i haven't played a single RPG released in 2020.

edit. right, i played Fallout Sonora. although it's more of a mod than a full game.

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Yakuza 7, Baldur's Gate 3, Persona 4 Golden

are all good RPG's that came out in 2020. I personally liked Y7 the most. BG3 has great potential, and Persona 4 is what it is, addictive gameplay, but horrible story.

V_K

Arcane
Seconding Horizon't Gate.
I guess Fates of Ort was ok too - it's certainly very original and open. I just wish for more varied pacing - as it is, it feels a lot like an ARPG without the action.
Solasta's EA is very promising, but that's not really a 2020 release.
There's also Lawless Lands - an open-world grimdark RPG made in heavily modified RPGMaker - but I haven't played that yet. I've heard good things about the dev's previous titles though.
But as it is, most of the games I've played in 2020 were Adventures, and mostly older ones at that. Waiting for a Xmas sale to try Naheulbeuk because I'm a cheapskate.

Last edited:

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Played some of Horizon’s Gate, still has the same core gameplay as Voidspire and Alvora but didn’t click with me for some reason. It felt a bit aimless I guess. Might give it another chance at some point.

Finished Wasteland 3. It’s alright, better than I expected.

Yakuza: Like a Dragon is my favorite probably, one of the best in the franchise. I wrote a more detailes impression in the Yakuza thread.

Started Troubleshooter the other day, not much to say about it yet.

Dodo1610

Arcane
Baldurs Gate 3, Soloasta: Crown of the Magister, Wasteland 3 Cyberpunk 2077, Fae Tactics, Hades

EA;
BG3: The most reactive RPG I have ever played. I can't believe that it took so long for a dev to finally make magic useful outside of combat again.
Solasta: great DND dungeon crawler, sadly suffers heavily from by boring writing and bad voice acting. Also completely linear.
Cyberpunk 2077 CDP actually released a AAA game that feels less finished than AC Unity :argh:

Fae Tactics: extremely Cute, but I am too stupid or the game is too difficult.
Hades: Fantastic 2D Action Roguelike probably 2020's best game.
Wasteland 3 This year's biggest surprise: Fun satisfying TB combat, memorable soundtrack, characters with enjoyable writing. RPG mechanics are simple but work well.

Last edited:

Yosharian

Arcane
Baldurs Gate 3, Soloasta: Crown of the Magister, Wasteland 3 Cyberpunk 2077, Fae Tactics, Hades

EA;
BG3: The most reactive RPG I have ever played. I can't believe that it took so long for a dev to finally make magic useful outside of combat again.
Solasta: great DND dungeon crawler, sadly suffers heavily from by boring writing and bad voice acting. Also completely linear.
Cyberpunk 2077 CDP actually released a AAA game that feels less finished than AC Unity :argh:

Fae Tactics: extremely Cute, but I am too stupid or the game is too difficult.
Hades: Fantastic 2D Action Roguelike probably 2020's best game.
Wasteland 3 This year's biggest surprise: Fun satisfying TB combat, memorable soundtrack, characters with enjoyable writing. RPG mechanics are simple but work well.
Is Wasteland 3 worth a buy right now at 35% off? Or should I wait for the 'GOTY' version in 6 months time?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
That I played and finished, or at least got to the end-game?

- Romancing SaGa 2. Holy fuck, this game took over my life for a while. Hadn't gotten hooked on an RPG like this in years, really enjoyed my time with this game and it re-affirmed my enjoyment of the RPG genre as a whole. Just excellently constructed and lots of hidden depth to the experience. This game was one of the hardest but most fulfilling RPG experiences I've had in a while. The difficulty was very high, and the mechanics overly-obscured or convoluted, but it was worth it in the end.

The game officially put the SaGa series on my radar now and I anticipate playing many more of them.

- Trials of Mana. Excellent little game. Had a lot of fun with this one.

2020 RPG releases that I'm planning on getting soon:

1. SaGa Scarlet Grace (this one originally got on my radar because of heavy recommendations from monocled Codexers, but now after my life-affirming experience with Romancing SaGa 2 it is one I'm expecting to pour countless hours into).

2. Troubleshooter (has been very highly recommended by good posters).

3. Horizon's Gate (same, also highly recommended by trusted posters).

I'll get around to getting them soon, probably on Steam. Experience Inc. has a new dungeon crawler coming out in 2021, so that's pretty cool. Hope it's good!

EDIT: Oh, also played Baldur's Gate 3 early access demo. Can't say it really grabbed me; decided to wait until it's fully released before sperging about it. I can at least say that the few hours I played of it were enough to make me at least play it again when it's done, something which is in and of itself somewhat of a compliment I suppose. Shitty Larian writing is still there but it isn't as bad as in the D:OS games, at least.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
After some consideration I discovered that I actually played and finished a 2020 release: Witcher: Farewell of the White Wolf. It was ok, but light on the RPG-ness.

Apart from that title I've been going through my backlog finishing several trilogies I abandoned in the past (Shadowrun, Gothic, Mass Effect, Dragon Age) and discovering great indies like Prelude to Darkness or Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome.

Falksi

Arcane
I played that Amazing Fantastics. Wasn't a fan though, had some excellent artwork & nice ideas, but was pieced together poorly.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Tactics-Is-The-New-RPG.png

Troubleshooter: Abandoned Children and The Dungeon of Naheulbeuk are better games than any proper CRPG released in 2020.

Z6Xqdt4.gif
Please elaborate.
xHpvssG.jpg

2rjTYVX.jpg

Troubleshooter is a turn-based party-based tactics game that combines well-designed combat mechanics with an intricate character customization system (though the characters are pre-defined). There is no exploration, with each mission taking place on a separate battle field, but it adds extensive character customization/progression elements to equipment and inventory. Dungeon of Naheulbeuk is similar, in being a turn-based party-based tactics game with well-designed combat mechanics and a skill/perk tree for each character (also pre-defined) that are increased at level up (with attributes also increased at level up). Unlike Troubleshooter, it presents a pretense of exploration, with the player actually moving the party around the dungeon in real-time in between fights, but there is little to do outside combat, and the player will typically restore the party to full (or nearly full) health after each combat, so there aren't any real logistics. Both games are fundamentally tactics games with the addition of character progression/customization, and therefore fall into the hybrid genre often referred to (erroneously) as SRPGs.

W1EBX1m.jpg

ESLJSJC.jpg

thesecret1

Arcane
Naheulbeuk was probably the best RPG this year that I've played, and it was a real surprise too, since it sort of came out of nowhere, with nobody expecting it'd be good.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I googled a bunch and supposedly Cyberpunk is the only RPG released in 2020 that I've played, unless you count Outer Worlds's expansion. That sounds crazy to me since I've actually been gaming a lot this year, but apparently it was all shooters and stuff or RPGs from 2019 and earlier.

Theoretically I will play Wasteland 3 someday, and Horizon which was on some RPG lists. I didn't see anything else that jumped out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom