Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

mondblut

Arcane
This is a pretty stupid Comeback given that I can't remember any single other Open World game that does Fake 2D Billboard traffic with cars that disappear when they get closer to you.

Replacing distant models with sprite billboards has been around ever since someone thought "hey, that 3dfx Voodoo thing can't compute all of our 20-polygon objects at once", and nothing except the polygon count has changed since.

As for disappearance, the game is prone to have everything disappear the moment you look away, the billboards doing that is the least of its problems.

Curratum

This is a pretty stupid Comeback given that I can't remember any single other Open World game that does Fake 2D Billboard traffic with cars that disappear when they get closer to you.

Replacing distant models with sprite billboards has been around ever since someone thought "hey, that 3dfx Voodoo thing can't compute all of our 20-polygon objects at once", and nothing except the polygon count has changed since.

As for disappearance, the game is prone to have everything disappear the moment you look away, the billboards doing that is the least of its problems.

Could you perhaps show me footage of GTA V where distant moving objects are recognizably, provably and discernably sprites?

Gargaune

Magister
Jesus Christ, the itemisation in this game might just be the worst I've ever seen... You constantly trip up over new gear with marginally better stats, like it's sliding on your XP down to the decimal, rather than on your level. I don't remember The Witcher 3 being this bad with it, there was quite a bit of this especially when you checked out the armourers, but every once in a while you did find a sword you'd stick with for more than five minutes. CDPR didn't need to look to Deus Ex or STALKER for inspiration, Fallout 4 would've been a reasonable enough model - its itemisation was kind of boring, but it was consistent and adequate enough for an open-world Action-RPG.

Cyberpunk's reminds me of a twisted mirror of Diablo 2's loot - there you graduated past vendor trash quickly enough, and then you kept identifying magical items only to get frustrated with how they were all vendor trash in disguise. Here you swap gear like you're gobbling Pringles... Once you pop...

While I am not far into the story yet, one thing does trigger me a lot compared to TW3: the urgency.
In TW3 your job was to find Ciri, but she's a big sloot girl, she can take care of herself. Geralt can do horse races as he likes.

But in CP77?
V is fucking dying, few weeks left, get help ASAP!
How am I supposed to justify dicking around finding lost taxis instead of beelining through the mainquest?
Well, aside from getting xp that is.
:negative:
Yeah, having just cleared Act I, I can sort of see why people complained about the sense of urgency the plot tries to impress on you. At first, I thought this was rather unfair criticism, seeing as it can (unfortunately) be levelled to varying degrees at most recent story-driven open-world games (Bethesda's Fallouts, The Witcher 3, Kingdom Come, you name it), but CDPR really went overboard with it this time. I'd better not have Johnny Mnemonic's evil twin constantly photobombing me now, I expect Act 2 to be my dicking around time!

It's strange, going by plot it seems like Act 1 would've been the perfect time to encourage the player to engage with the sandbox, doing "gigs" and whatnot in BG2 fashion, but as I went through it I felt like the game was pushing me along towards the main plot, like I was still in an extended tutorial, so I followed suite.

Anybody else but me get severe eye strain from playing the game?

I'm not sure what causes it, its literally the only game. It hurts the eyes. I play in ultra quality with RT on and off.

Whats your settings for eays on the eyes?

everything is so fucking blurry with dlss on
The DLSS haze is definitely a factor and so is the UI colour scheme, another unfortunate example of "style over substance" in development. Try using the nVidia Control Panel to apply Image Sharpening and force Anti-Aliasing Off, like AwesomeButton and DeepOcean suggested. I'm using a Sharpen factor of 0.7 with Ignore Film Grain 0.3 at a 1680x1050 resolution with DLSS Quality, and I've found the result to be quite excellent - the image is crisper and also feels a little lighter with no adverse effects to note. I also set the in-game Gamma to 0.99, but that'll be entirely down to your screen. And yeah, definitely try turning off all those screen effects like motion blur and depth of field.

Justicar

Dead game
Glory to Ukraine
So, do I get this right, that in a world "where looks mean everything" there is no way of actually changing your look ingame, not even the shitty haircut you apparently thought it was a good idea during char gen? :argh:

Also funny how the game is not even able to keep track of what little body sliders there are: if you load a savegame with a different char, the game keeps the tit size of what the char before had. After trying the corpo start with the default chick, which has large larger tits, then loading the streetkid save again, V reported a massive growth in the chest area, bursting through her shirt. :hahano:

"It just works" (tm)
Now Imagine what would happen if Todd tried to create a city of this scale

:shredder:

Avarize

Magister
EpLqtZ8XEAIEqsX
Back to the crunch baby:D

Holy fuck black metal is so bad.

JustMyOnion

Educated
It's a fool's dream to hope this game will have No Man's Sky effect with disastrous launch and expanded to somewhat working-state.
There is no reason to think why CD Projekt wouldn't work hard and improve the game in the coming months, years. Their previous attitude of making improved editions of their games is a prime example for that.
If anything, it's the norm with CDPR and TW3 was an anomaly with how well it ran on release. Bandwagoning normies who only know TW3 because they saw it on the best games of all times list on R*ddit wouldn't know though.

mondblut

Arcane
Could you perhaps show me footage of GTA V where distant moving objects are recognizably, provably and discernably sprites?

I do not play popamole games, but I can bet you that when you get far enough, those tiny dots on the horizon will no longer have any vertices.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Dexter

Arcane

Static objects sometimes, yes. Especially in older games. Yet as I said I can't think of a single other notable Open World game with Fake 2D sprite traffic that disappears when it comes closer to you like it does here at the end of the road. Surely it would be easy to point out if it exists? The way Cyberjunk seems to handle traffic is it spawns cars close to you while you aren't looking at it or makes it appear around corners while it tries to trick you into thinking there's far-off traffic with sprites ... that disappear as they get closer, which is just bizarre.

mondblut

Arcane
Static objects sometimes, yes. Especially in older games. Yet as I said I can't think of a single other notable Open World game with Fake 2D sprite traffic that disappears when it comes closer to you like it does here at the end of the road. Surely it would be easy to point out if it exists? The way Cyberjunk seems to handle traffic is it spawns cars close to you while you aren't looking at it or makes it appear around corners while it tries to trick you into thinking there's far-off traffic with sprites... that disappear as they get closer, which is just bizarre.

The problem is disappearance, not sprites. They are supposed to be replaced with models as they get closer. But we wouldn't all be here if this game worked as it is supposed to be :smug:

mondblut

Arcane

I do not play popamole games, but I can bet you that when you get far enough, those tiny dots on the horizon will no longer have any vertices.

Or maybe not:

https://forums.gta5-mods.com/topic/...o-lods-fix-for-disappearing-cars-when-distant

Apparently they just disappear instead. Billboards must be too advanced a technology.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
After derping around in this game a bit (even at v 1.04 it's still pretty beta), I realized another difference between Bethesda and CDPR:

Bethesda developes their games for consoles and then halfassedly ports them to the pc. But since it runs well on consoles, not much butthurt happens.

Did we forget PS3 Skyrim dipping to single digit FPS after 60h of play because the game required 512mb of ram and PS3 only had 256?

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
is it me, or are the ambient sounds in the game just awful? i felt more like i am among a crowd in a fucking neverwinter nights tavern than in the games redlight district.

music fucking sucks, too.

Turjan

Arcane
Does anyone know whether the clothes in your apartment infinitely produce new versions?
Pretty much everything that's in that wardrobe comes in 4 to five different stat variants, and there's one piece in every category that's better than the awful looted stuff my V is wearing.

Edit: Oh, I forgot it's a store. Only low tier stuff, so not upgradable, but inexpensive.

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom