Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
btw anyone remember

when Bartholomew Delgado's house gets attacked? I remember saving him last time and want to do so again but this time I've rushed Troll Trouble much more than last time and I can't recall if the event at Lone House gets passed by if go straight to Dwarven Ruins

Delterius

Arcane
btw anyone remember

when Bartholomew Delgado's house gets attacked? I remember saving him last time and want to do so again but this time I've rushed Troll Trouble much more than last time and I can't recall if the event at Lone House gets passed by if go straight to Dwarven Ruins
My version of Bartholomeu Delgado didn't get attacked at all and I rush things, like you said.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
btw anyone remember

My version of Bartholomeu Delgado didn't get attacked at all and I rush things, like you said.

Verdammt

edit:
I assume you couldn't recruit him then?

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
btw anyone remember

You go to his house first time and he has the troll for tests, then you wait for a few weeks or so and you'll get the message.

Erebus

Arcane
I've started the game again, this time with a Conjurer and the Wildcards DLC.

I'm trying to recruit "Kaessi", and it kind of pisses me off that, in order to do that, I have to go on a quest with only my PC and her. Why do you do this to me, DLC ? One of the main reasons why combat is so enjoyable in this game is that it allows you to control a party of six. Six is the best number, we've known this since the Gold Box games. Five is acceptable. Four is the beginning of decline. Three is severe decline, except in BaK/BiA. But two ? Two is fucking ridiculous outside of a tutorial. It makes combat limited and boring. And it makes it very likely that your "party" will be unbalanced because you can't even control who'll be in it and you expected your PC to always be part of a group of six !

Fuck this, I'll just lower the difficulty to get done with it as quickly as possible. I may even try Story Mode.

Delterius

Arcane
btw anyone remember

Verdammt

edit:
Not at all. I went to his house first and let him keep his troll. Trobold didn't take much time after that and I went to his house immediately after Trobold. Got to recruit him.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Erebus I hope you know that you can travel to the "Kaessi" quest location with the whole party, and only in the location the party has to stay behind. Which is reasonable, because it forces the player to use elementalists. With the whole party using blasts and other unfamiliar mechanics could have been unnecessary.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Erebus I hope you know that you can travel to the "Kaessi" quest location with the whole party, and only in the location the party has to stay behind. Which is reasonable, because it forces the player to use elementalists. With the whole party using blasts and other unfamiliar mechanics could have been unnecessary.

I was worried about the same shit. Your party waits for you and it’s a tiny area (though not quite as tiny as it looks the first time!). Mini Kinnie tutorial.

Is a pain getting there and back of course.

Desiderius

Patron
btw anyone remember

Verdammt

edit:
Not at all. I went to his house first and let him keep his troll. Trobold didn't take much time after that and I went to his house immediately after Trobold. Got to recruit him.

It’s harder to recruit him if you wait (he dies a lot at higher difficulties) but in exchange you get some extra EXP and loot. Make sure to buy bag and Clasp before you try to save him in case he dies.

Erebus

Arcane
I hope you know that you can travel to the "Kaessi" quest location with the whole party, and only in the location the party has to stay behind. Which is reasonable, because it forces the player to use elementalists. With the whole party using blasts and other unfamiliar mechanics could have been unnecessary.

Yeah, I know (though I did initially make the mistake).

I understand that the whole thing is meant to be a tutorial for the new classes, and it's true that it wouldn't work well if you had your whole party with you. I'm really just whining because I find the fights too difficult on Hard. I wish you could bring at least one of your other companions with you, in order to act as a tank.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
I hope you know that you can travel to the "Kaessi" quest location with the whole party, and only in the location the party has to stay behind. Which is reasonable, because it forces the player to use elementalists. With the whole party using blasts and other unfamiliar mechanics could have been unnecessary.

Yeah, I know (though I did initially make the mistake).

I understand that the whole thing is meant to be a tutorial for the new classes, and it's true that it wouldn't work well if you had your whole party with you. I'm really just whining because I find the fights too difficult on Hard. I wish you could bring at least one of your other companions with you, in order to act as a tank.

You don’t have to go there right away.

Erebus

Arcane
You don’t have to go there right away.

Yeah, I know, but I was eager to try the new class.

Anyway, I'm done with that quest. It wasn't as long as I feared. A bit weird that the frog-like things you face first are in fact the biggest danger. I don't think that Kalikke managed to hit them even once with her blasts, whereas she and her sister crushed the gargoyles that we encountered later.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
Her sister targets Touch. Kalikke makes a decent tank herself and you can give her Weapon Finesse to hit with her Blade. If you wait for lvl 7 you can give her an Electric Blast that targets Touch as well.

Sounds like you haven’t found the hardest foes there yet.

Erebus

Arcane
Her sister targets Touch.

Yeah, I saw that. I'm consequently pretty sure that I'll only ever take Kanerah in the party, because having someone that can target Touch AC all the time sounds pretty useful.

It's a bit unfortunate that Dark Elementalist doesn't appear to be a great subclass. Burn being limited to 3 no matter how high your level is seems like a pain in the ass.

If there are other enemies than the weird frogs, the gargoyles and the gargoyle-like treant in that area, then I did miss them.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Yeah, I saw that. I'm consequently pretty sure that I'll only ever take Kanerah in the party, because having someone that can target Touch AC all the time sounds pretty useful.

She's completely overpowered ;)

Factor in that if one of them gets brought below 0 you instantly get the full-HP sister subbed in and it's pretty ridicoulous :D

Xamenos

Magister
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

It's a bit unfortunate that Dark Elementalist doesn't appear to be a great subclass. Burn being limited to 3 no matter how high your level is seems like a pain in the ass.
It becomes less important later on, when you unlock Hybrid Blasts. They all do double damage over the pure blasts, and almost all target AC. And then you unlock AOE infusions, which don't require an attack roll at all.

Last edited:
In my first playthrough, I used Kalikke most of the game for her wonderful support abilities (water/air). In my second game, I picked up Kanerah more often--particularly in HATEOT. She was very effective.

Desiderius

Patron

If there are other enemies than the weird frogs, the gargoyles and the gargoyle-like treant in that area, then I did miss them.

You did. You’ve missed on your other takes as well. It’s what makes the game great.

hell bovine

Arcane

It becomes less important later on, when you unlock Hybrid Blasts. They all do double damage over the pure blasts, and almost all target AC. And then you unlock AOE infusions, which don't require an attack roll at all.
Eh, I've tried to incorporate kineticists in the party, but by the time the sisters got wall my wizard had an entire repertoire of aoes, while Jubilost had an entire array of bombs. Valerie as celerity-spamming electric knight is quite useful, though; party is practically hasted all the time. (and the floating in heavy armor idle animation is hilarious)

hell bovine Kineticists are mostly about DPS. They provide some good support, particularly if you go water/air, but damage is their main focus. My first party had a lot of weak casters. Having the Kalikke provide significant DPS to things they had controlled was a major boost in my rest cycle. The nearly infinite grease and haste weren't too shoddy either. The healing/cure/ressurect ability put her on par with my cleric. My second party was much better built, so a Kineticist was frankly too slow and unnecessary. That being said, their power at high levels served me really well in HATEOT and beyond when my party got shuffled.

Desiderius

Patron
Main thing is they don’t need rest. So you get spell-like effects without the Vancian limitation. Good for retaining food bonuses in big dungeons and maximizing the proportion of time you’re dedicating to ranking up your advisors.

Desiderius

Patron

Eh, I've tried to incorporate kineticists in the party, but by the time the sisters got wall my wizard had an entire repertoire of aoes, while Jubilost had an entire array of bombs. Valerie as celerity-spamming electric knight is quite useful, though; party is practically hasted all the time. (and the floating in heavy armor idle animation is hilarious)

Unfair companion quest ambush:

Kal13Whirlwind.jpg

Seems good. Pro-tip: pick up Finesse for the Blade.

Dark Elementalist Burn isn't limited to 3, you keep eating bodies you keep getting more uses without resting.

Desiderius

Patron
hell bovine Kineticists are mostly about DPS. They provide some good support, particularly if you go water/air, but damage is their main focus. My first party had a lot of weak casters. Having the Kalikke provide significant DPS to things they had controlled was a major boost in my rest cycle. The nearly infinite grease and haste weren't too shoddy either. The healing/cure/ressurect ability put her on par with my cleric. My second party was much better built, so a Kineticist was frankly too slow and unnecessary. That being said, their power at high levels served me really well in HATEOT and beyond when my party got shuffled.

Infinite use high DC Grease for owning Zombie Giants:

PsychoSlick.jpg

I think Harrim's like a lvl 8 Psychokinnie here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom