Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Warhammer Total War: Warhammer 2

Well its definitely not related to Drycha's hero. I just kind of got the mission. I think the Drycha hero quest bugged out too because I did it so late, because it never progressed. I had already annexed durthu and half the factions were dead, not sure if it relies on anything since the previous mission was something to do with the empire.

In any case, razing lots of stuff is definitely the speedrun way to get elves done. Despite the relative slowness and expense of Treemen I finished not too much slower than sisters of twilight (turn 93), and I actually ignored the main tree almost entirely because skaven had already taken over and fuck skaven. Especially when you are razing, because you end up damaged and exposed in a region with no healing for 3 skaven armies to force march to you and a 4th to ambush you. Also it's nice how you aren't really penalized by attacking your fellow wood elves rather than doing quests for confederation, since all you care about is their level 3 income buildings and therefore reducing their tree from level 4 to level 3 has practically no loss.

Stat-wise treemen do eventually get 30% phys resist, 50% missile resist, net 0% fire resist, and a constant mortis engine effect around them. Pretty buff but fighting battles was just fucking annoying. I either just sat there with a full treemen army tanking damage until they ran out of ammo or got some zoats and tried to run around. But zoats kind of fall off and die really quickly late game, so eventually the plan was just sitting there tanking damage while spamming healing abilities. In retrospect I probably should have beelined for tier 5 and picked up 4 or so dragons per army.

Sadly I can say that stacking -% magic resist apparently does not work at all. It only reduces magic resistance, if you want to get a damage bonus you need to stack +weakness to that element. So it's only useful against dwarves or other units with base magic resistance. Bummer. I did pick up a lot of "Forest Spirit" followers who each apply -5 leadership to local enemy armies and can be stacked 1 per lord/hero though. Coupled with Blight of Terrors that was around -20 leadership to all enemy armies, pretty good.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
smug.jpg

Fuck Elgi!
Fuck Thaggoraki!
Make Bryn!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Hmm, they also seem to have SIGNIFICANTLY decreased the amount of casualties the AI takes from corruption.

100% chaos corruption only causes 3% casualties - so its functionally useless now as anything but a public order affecter.
This has been my experience all the time on the higher difficulties. Ai loses maybe 3 out of 100 squad size units each turn. You can download a mod to fix it, but then the ai still isn't coded to handle it, which just means it walks in, loses 80% of its stack before if reaches a settlement, and then force marches away in terror.

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Are there any mods that make the game less popamoly? Every time I play it feels like I'm chasing little rats around while suddenly enemies come out of the white beyond on the other side of the empire and it's a 10 turn walk back to that region for any army that can challenge them.

That and the endless garrison fights.

Not sure how you guys can keep playing this game. I find it so boring as soon as mid game is reached.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Are there any mods that make the game less popamoly? Every time I play it feels like I'm chasing little rats around while suddenly enemies come out of the white beyond on the other side of the empire and it's a 10 turn walk back to that region for any army that can challenge them.

Not sure how you guys can keep playing this game. I find it so boring as soon as mid game is reached.
You are not alone. I have found late game tedious for certain factions. This is also why I love Bretonnia and the errantry war win condition.

Also, obligatory post recommending Closer to Table Top and Table Top Unit Cap mods. These mods rebalance the units and prevent spammable doom stacks.

Self-Ejected

underground nymph

I care not!
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Play legendary, feel real pain, enjoy it.

Sadly nothing can fix endless siege battles unless your faction happens to auto-resolve really well.

Incidentally I think Malus essentially got a buff in this patch because he has orks to conquer for slaves and money in hag graef rather than needing to colonize regions (and you had to do it quickly before nearby factions got them). Malekith also benefits.

Last edited:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Sadly nothing can fix endless siege battles unless your faction happens to auto-resolve really well.
I had a total of 3 siege battles as wood elves in vortex campaign. Felt real nice to not have to deal with it. But yeah, a lot of the time you will have to do them manually and it sucks.

Throt is also hilariously overpowered in siege battles with his brood horrors. Nice change from ikit "yes I'm OP but spend 30 mins finding angles to shoot at stuff with infinite ammo ratling guns" claw. Instead you just run in the front gate and kill everything in seconds.

zapotec

Liturgist
I don't understand why, when i select an army in the campaign map, the yellow movement overlay created by the selection reduces my FPS by 10 - 20. Any known fix?

It reminds me of the Final Liberation movement overlay issue, if you pop it up the FPS were drastically reduced until you put the correct .DLL in the game folder

tabacila

Augur
I don't understand why, when i select an army in the campaign map, the yellow movement overlay created by the selection reduces my FPS by 10 - 20. Any known fix?

It reminds me of the Final Liberation movement overlay issue, if you pop it up the FPS were drastically reduced until you put the correct .DLL in the game folder
Any particular movement stance selected? I had a noticeable performance drop when selecting the world roots type movement for Wood Elves.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think I've ever finished a single campaign, I always just play until I feel I'm done with this one and will play a different campaign next time.

But muh steam achievements??
Never cared much about achievements. Some can be nice, when they reward some interesting stuff you did within the game.
But they certainly wouldn't motivate me to do something I do not find enjoyable to begin with - like late game TW:WH2 campaigns.
Wasting your time doing something you don't enjoy for what, a Steam popup in the corner? Seems like a pretty idiotic activity to me.

I have my doubts that my dying words will be "I wish I had gotten more Steam achievements".

zapotec

Liturgist
Any particular movement stance selected? I had a noticeable performance drop when selecting the world roots type movement for Wood Elves.

Oh true, the selected army was a Dwarf amy with the "underground movement" stance.

tabacila

Augur
Yeah, the special movement stances are kinda fucked. I think they only fixed the underground movement stance for greenskins in their DLC.

Nathir

Liturgist
I don't think I've ever finished a single campaign, I always just play until I feel I'm done with this one and will play a different campaign next time.

But muh steam achievements??
Never cared much about achievements. Some can be nice, when they reward some interesting stuff you did within the game.
But they certainly wouldn't motivate me to do something I do not find enjoyable to begin with - like late game TW:WH2 campaigns.
Wasting your time doing something you don't enjoy for what, a Steam popup in the corner? Seems like a pretty idiotic activity to me.

I have my doubts that my dying words will be "I wish I had gotten more Steam achievements".

Bro it was just a joke, no need to over-analyze it :)

Blitzkrieg

Novice
The lizardmen are so much fun to play. I love smashing through frontlines with Saurus and carnosaurs while my engine of the gods rains lazers. I love horned ones too they feel really powerful when smashing into ranged units or artillery. The only thing that sucks is the campaign mechanics geomantic web is boring.

Lycra Suit

Prophet
Possibly Retarded
AFAIK anti large is ridiculously effective against massive monsters, even when the unit you're sending is among the lowest tier possible. As long as you have a reliable way to dish out damage from awkward angles I find that sword infantry and monsters arent all that useful, and as far as I've seen not that commonly found on the winning side in multiplayer.

Anti-large just seem too effective of a frontline unit to justify using sword infantry instead. By the time they would start losing their melee confrontation with a more balanced enemy line, you would have already nuked the shit out of it from behind your men.
They can kamikaze flying units to keep the glass canons busy, but if you have pikes guarding them, they'll need to have the utmost precise timing to break the pike lines before their flying units have been routed by your backup spears, and I'm not even sure that's always necessarily mathematically doable. What's more, if I'm not mistaken two units of spears with one flanking will dish out way more than their money's worth against a unit of swords, and as long as you have one extra unit to chase their archers away they cant rely on combined arms to beat that cost effectiveness. Especially as archers need to expose themselves to dish out effective flanking damage.
So then is it just me being terrible or is quantity >> quality always a thing in Total War games?

Monsters are also easily countered by archers. The moment you lock them down with infantry, archers and guns can shoot from behind your line with maximal accuracy and the recent update as only made it harder to punch through the infantry and punish that kind of lazy counter.

Am I missing anything?

Last edited:
Single entity monsters are used very often in multiplayer. They are some of the best units because they are the only ones that can effectively, repeatedly attack and disengage. Even the 16 entity units will get one or two caught up in a mob and can't disengage properly, but single entities can repeatedly charge in to disrupt, get the charge bonus, get a bunch of initial damage and then leave before they suffer much. Archers aren't usually a problem for most of them because the arrows are pretty slow and will miss and overwhelmingly hurt their own side unless it's a really huge and slow monster. Bullets and cannons are a serious issue though, if you are playing a race with good gunpowder you'll probably not see many large monsters. Monsters that stay really close to the ground are still hard to hit though (Tomb Scorpions being a particularly annoying one to deal with, they spend half their time under the fucking sand).

The problem with spearmen vs. monsters is they tend to be too slow and most monsters will just decide not to fight spearmen. Once spearmen pick another target to engage monsters can just run in from the back and decimate them. Usually when you want to hunt monsters you pick cavalry or cavalry-like units with anti-large, like Demigryph Knights with halberds or Blood Knights. Large shock bonus also chews monsters up. Or you can couple abilities that prevent movement with 2-4 ranged units.

Sword vs. spear infantry depends on tier usually. Low tier sword infantry is usually only barely better than spearmen in melee but higher tier swords usually have a much wider gap either in overall stats or in an anti-infantry bonus.

e they are the only ones that can effectively, repeatedly attack and disengage.

Last update nerfed that significantly.

It really didn't. Monsters make space with their attacks. Unless you've charged into a prepared spear regiment from the front, and you should never do that, you're fine. It's more of a nerf for the 4 and 16 size units. Stuff like Chariots get stuck and never make their way out of a mob.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom