Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Live - Anyone up for a game?

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
Can someone please explain why an integrated browser solution requires you to install PUNKBUSTER.

Doesnt anyone see the contradiction here?

Dire Roach

Prophet
After waiting in queue for about an hour and a half (actually less waiting time than I've done IRL for some shitty rides at Disney World!) I finally got into the 1:10 k:d ratio grind as "Roachy".

Bloodlust

Augur
I have to say,quake live rocks! Other than the long queue before you log in everything else runs flawlessly,Great job id!

ArtanisGR, if any of you rpgfags are up for a game.

fastpunk

Arbiter
Bloodlust said:
I have to say,quake live rocks! Other than the long queue before you log in everything else runs flawlessly,Great job id!

ArtanisGR, if any of you rpgfags are up for a game.

Not quite flawlessly, it's still a beta and some people have had problems. But the system they've put together is really neat. And of course, the gameplay is excellent. Btw, is it me or did they apply some sort of smoothing effect to the mouse? It was slightly annoying at first.

Dmitron

Arbiter
Well Quake always featured a mouse smoothing option, so perhaps they toggled it on by default? I'm sure it can be switched off.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Having to wait in a queue to get into the game every time killed the game for me. What's the point?

Besides playing Tribes 2 with goons is better (they have like 50+ people playing when it's evening in Europe - perfect)

fastpunk

Arbiter
Dmitron said:
Well Quake always featured a mouse smoothing option, so perhaps they toggled it on by default? I'm sure it can be switched off.

I took a look to see if there was such an option but I didn't see it. Mind you, I was kind of eager to get into the action so I wasn't paying too much attention. I'll take a closer look again soon enough, the queue isn't too long tonight.

edit: Alright, I'm in. And it seems there's no option to switch off the mouse smoothing. Oh well...

peak

Scholar
skyway said:
Having to wait in a queue to get into the game every time killed the game for me. What's the point?

Besides playing Tribes 2 with goons is better (they have like 50+ people playing when it's evening in Europe - perfect)

It's to keep impatient casuals like this out.

Destroid

Arcane
Tribes 2 isn't for impatient casuals.

What is the point of browser based 3d games anyway? How large is the download required to play?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Just like the original Q3 I suppose. I still don't know where it installs the shit though - on C drive that's for sure.

There is no point in playing Quake Live with such queues - you will install Q3 faster than get your turn to login (and you have to wait every time you open your browser - sometimes up to 30 minutes). Also you are forced to play only on servers near you (yes if you are in Europe you won't find any US server and won't have a chance to get that overrated fatal1ty rape you) and can't create custom games to play with your friends.

Other than having Xbawks360 stuff like friendlist and achievements I don't see anything worthy in QL right now.

Dire Roach

Prophet
The initial download is a file that's only like 2 or 3 megabytes, but the download that goes on in the background while you're doing the intro match seems much bigger than the original game.

As it stands, QL is not that much better compared to reinstalling vanilla Q3. I hope they'll eventually add more content like Q1/2 co-op, or at least a ripoff of UT2k4's Invasion mode. You know, to allow us noobs who don't snort ritalin to take a break from the never-ending anal rape.

peak

Scholar
skyway said:
Just like the original Q3 I suppose. I still don't know where it installs the shit though - on C drive that's for sure.

It's in c:\Documents and settings\*user*\Application Data\id software

skyway said:
There is no point in playing Quake Live with such queues - you will install Q3 faster than get your turn to login (and you have to wait every time you open your browser - sometimes up to 30 minutes).

The queue is not meant to be permanent in any way, they are evaluating how large player base they will have after the first rush dies off in a week or so before finalizing their installations. You are forgiven for not having read this since it's in an interview off-site, one of the devs basically says "as it's ad based we don't want to let anyone wanting to play the game not do so".

You are not forgiven for this though:

skyway said:
Also you are forced to play only on servers near you (yes if you are in Europe you won't find any US server and won't have a chance to get that overrated fatal1ty rape you) and can't create custom games to play with your friends.

If you would just have pulled up "Customize" in the browser you would have been able to set location to USA in a fucking second, about the time it takes to spot the butahn and click on it. You would have to be blind or stupid to miss it.

And private games are right now on their priority list, which you would have understood if you would have read <a href="http://www.quakelive.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11016">one of their dev diaries</a> which details their plan. I'm guessing you won't like that it's a premium service but they don't seem to be too big dicks about the costs and functionalities of it. Then again you would whine anyway.

skyway said:
Other than having Xbawks360 stuff like friendlist and achievements I don't see anything worthy in QL right now.

I think it's better than Q3A personally. Better balance and some great new maps.

Edit the 2nd: Having said all that, I would like to know if Id is planning to make LAN-games possible. They did that during Quakecon at least but that's their own event so they could have done a number of things. I would be very disappointed if you always have to connect to their servers to play.

peak

Scholar
Willyalookatthat, the queue has been removed since a couple of days back and everything works fine so far. Even stats are back, except weapon specific frags it seems.

MetalCraze

Arcane
peak said:
The queue is not meant to be permanent in any way, they are evaluating how large player base they will have after the first rush dies off in a week or so before finalizing their installations. You are forgiven for not having read this since it's in an interview off-site, one of the devs basically says "as it's ad based we don't want to let anyone wanting to play the game not do so".
My god, aren't you smart? Of course I thought those queues will be there forever.

If you would just have pulled up "Customize" in the browser you would have been able to set location to USA in a fucking second, about the time it takes to spot the butahn and click on it. You would have to be blind or stupid to miss it.

I know - and how about making all servers appear on the list instead of making me "cheat" QL server?
QL rarely creates CTF matches and usual DM is boring - so I wish I saw all servers instead of "guessing" the region.

And private games are right now on their priority list, which you would have understood if you would have read one of their dev diaries which details their plan. I'm guessing you won't like that it's a premium service but they don't seem to be too big dicks about the costs and functionalities of it. Then again you would whine anyway.
Yeah it is their priority and... that somehow adds private games there -right now-?
Shit I so like to whine! Not like those posters who whine about me without understanding the whole context. Here I will help you.

peak

Scholar
skyway said:
I know - and how about making all servers appear on the list instead of making me "cheat" QL server?

What do you mean, "cheat"? It shows servers close to you as default because that's the servers that just about everyone will play at. If you want to play at a specific one you can view all servers with three mouse clicks. And no, you didn't "know", either that or you have just about zero knowledge of what you meant when you said "you are forced to play only on servers near you".

skyway said:
QL rarely creates CTF matches and usual DM is boring - so I wish I saw all servers instead of "guessing" the region.

Well, it's too bad if they don't show up for you, I don't know what that can depend on. But on default browser settings I see six CTF games that haven't started and over 30 in total - these are in UK, DE, NL and FR mostly. It could be that your location is too far away from these servers to be "in your vicinity", but just change Location to "Europe" and press "Save" to have that be your new default.

skyway said:
Yeah it is their priority and... that somehow adds private games there -right now-?
Shit I so like to whine! Not like those posters who whine about me without understanding the whole context. Here I will help you.

Just informing about them being on the way.

skyway said:

Well that's too bad for you, as I said I see quite a few balance improvements along with a few (very few) new good maps, and this is right now. You're of course entitled to your opinion, but when you haven't even seemed to check out some settings and have quite a few facts wrong in your posts I will reply to them.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
What's the updated verdict now that this thing has been out for a few months?

Only complaint I have (apart from that the last Quake I played was v2 and I suck because I can't even recognise the weapons or power-ups in this version) is you seem to lose the mouse in the application sometimes. Especially if you right-click while it's downloading a map. Alt-tabbing seems to get it back though.

MetalCraze

Arcane
My verdict is that Quake Live failed to provide long-time interest at least for me.
The thing where you have to play only what you are allowed to play is also what killed the game for me. Q3 is better - at least you can create a server there with lots of options.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Bumping this topic. I've become a mildly enthousiastic Quake player because of QL. I was never much into Q3, but now I've come to see the error of my ways.

The cleanliness of the design and the gameplay... And the ease of starting up QL...

SO, anyone up for a game? :)

Hory

Erudite
Play "real" multiplayer FPS and you'll see the error of your QL ways too.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Care to name a specific game and to point out what you mean?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah, if Codex wasn't just a bunch of lazy cunts we would've paid a visit to Tribes 2 goon server.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom