Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Dexter

Arcane
You're looking at an established p&p RPG system here, in case you forgot. One of the earlier ones, in fact (first release 1988). I guess the game got adapted a bit because it may be a bit too retrofuturistic for today's audiences, but much of the lore stems for there.

Is this piece of lore from Pondsmith though? Because I do not remember any of this from details of the 4th corp war, and the destruction of global maritime travel is kind of a big deal.

Some Cyberpunk 2020 stuff - What America and Europe looks like in 2020 with History and Religions:
eNh8ch1.jpg

jGM55GZ.jpg

qevgCP0.jpg

1hfNqoq.jpg

r2BZsle.jpg

Night City:

Perkel

Arcane
So I crucified a dude. Rather unconventional (?!) mission(s). Easy to imagine this being the center of a non-troversy if it weren't overshadowed by how broken the game is.

Some of sidequest are bleak as fuck. I in fact don't remember any game other than i think Arcanum and first fallout as bleak as 77 gets at times. Yesterday i had 3 of those quests one after another by the time i was finishing 3rd one i was like fuck meeeeeee i will have to take a shower.

They really did justice to "City chews you and spits you out" theme.

Last edited:

Flying Dutchman

Learned
I cannot believe they actively offered to refund on consoles.

I mean, that's common sense based on the Jank, but to see a developer outwardly -offer- to do that is mind-blowing.

How many codexers are honest enough to acknowledge that Fallout 4 is objectively a much better open world action game with some RPG elements than Cyberpunk 2077 is?

CP2077 certainly does some things far better than Fallout 4, like the writing, but the vast majority of the game systems or aspects they share are in Fallout 4's favor.

Especially if you are doing a day 1 release version to a day 1 release version comparison of the two.

I think many will struggle with being able to set aside their extreme anti-Bethesda bias (often exaggerated in posts for bonus kodex kool kredits) to achieve the level of objective honesty to do so.

Fallout 4 was such a boring PoS that after maybe 5 hours and 1 quest in Far Harbor I dumped it with utter indifference.

I don't have a hate bias, but I think it's pretty objective to say, that few franchises were as r*ped as Fallout under Bethesda. The only redeeming thing that came out of it was New Vegas.

I'll prolly get retadreds for it, but Bethesda's best Fallout is post-Wastelanders 76, period. Every single aspect of that game, be it writing, worldbuilding, settlements, gameplay or actually fun weapons brought back mostly from NV (like Plasma Caster, Grenade Machinegun or Gauss Minigun). That game has better skillchecks and c&c than FO3/4 and it's a superficial MMO ffs.

kalganoat

Savant
Because they know Snoy and M$ will tell their customers to fuck off. Now the blame has been shifted away from CDPR.

Some of sidequest are bleak as fuck. I in fact don't remember any game other than i think Arcanum and first fallout as bleak as 77 gets at times. Yesterday i had 3 of those quests one after another by the time i was finishing 3rd one i was like fuck meeeeeee i will have to take a shower.

They really did justice to "City chews you and spits you out" theme.

Yeah they nailed Barcelona feeling perfectly.

You don't look bad, you just look poor.
I'm walking around with $60k but I can't decide what clothes to invest in, and I mean invest upgrade materials.

What's the point of having a Rare hat and a Common hat for example, if neither has an upgrade slot and the armor values are the same? From my perspective the white hat is even better, because it's cheaper to upgrade.

Here is a pic from when I was poorer: https://i.imgur.com/DTPQ6BR.jpg

There's a clothing store somewhere near a huge lane in Watson, that sells blueprints for crafting a Samurai jacket. It's the same model as on the cover, with the Tron collar, except the jacket is yellow. Served me for 90% of the game with a good Armadillo mod.

Next to jig-jig street, in that flea market there's also a guy selling Samurai(band) memorabilia, with a legendary t-shirt with 4 slots, and epic pants with 3.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

I mean, that's common sense based on the Jank, but to see a developer outwardly -offer- to do that is mind-blowing.

Big sign of weakness, and it'll bite them in the ass later on.

When the Fallout 76 debacle happened Bethesda refused to give anyone a refund, they just kept their lips tight and butthole clenched and eventually everyone forgot about it, this is what CDPR should have done, now not only do they have to give refunds but it will become imprinted on the media psyche; the company that admitted it lied.

^_^

Agame

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here

Big sign of weakness, and it'll bite them in the ass later on.

When the Fallout 76 debacle happened Bethesda refused to give anyone a refund, they just kept their lips tight and butthole clenched and eventually everyone forgot about it, this is what CDPR should have done, now not only do they have to give refunds but it will become imprinted on the media psyche; the company that admitted it lied.

^_^

Agree, but I think CDPR are desperate to maintain the "nice guy" image they have over the AAA companies like EA and Ubi etc. While simultaneously becoming corporate mega company making "shut up and consume product" games.

NMS and F76 have both shown the average consumer and the media have the attention span of goldfish and you can basically get away with anything and come out looking good. In fact I think the 'redemption arc' for Hello Games has given them some kind of weird aura of being this incredible company that they would never have had if they had simply released a decent game on release day. Battered wife syndrome or something I guess? Fallout 76 looks like it has the same "he didnt beat me as much this week, he must really love me!" effect.

Darkzone

Arcane
So you don't know that you need a different set of animations for FP and for 3rd Person view. Let me put it short: This is due to the head attached camera.
You may have a point somewhere in there. But what about mirrors?
As you have perhaps already have heard you nearly never see the player character and mirrors are very rare and placed strategically. So you just need arms and legs for most of the game play, but you need the whole 3d character mesh for the shadows and distorted mirrored images.
Now how CP77 handles it i don't know, because i will not buy this game. But you can place the camera further away from the player character meshs head just for specific scenes and places and allow and play only certain animations (if you have a true mirror in the engine). OR you can make the mesh invisible for the character camera (if the engine allows it), while an outside camera creates a 2d picture of the character in the mirror (not a true mirror). OR... etc.
The animations for 3rd Person must include good upper body and head movement, while the FP animation must be more static towards up and down movement and rotations, so that you don't get a shaky cam view and the mesh and hair or other things don't interfere with the view.

Dexter

Arcane
Fallout 4 was such a boring PoS that after maybe 5 hours and 1 quest in Far Harbor I dumped it with utter indifference.
I've tried playing it 3 or 4 times and I make a few hours of progress before I get bored by it. The first time was close to release, the last time was a few months ago, I managed to get as far as to killing the Mirelurk Queen and freeing the Fortress... maybe one of these days I'll manage to finish it.

I'll prolly get retadreds for it, but Bethesda's best Fallout is post-Wastelanders 76, period. Every single aspect of that game, be it writing, worldbuilding, settlements, gameplay or actually fun weapons brought back mostly from NV (like Plasma Caster, Grenade Machinegun or Gauss Minigun). That game has better skillchecks and c&c than FO3/4 and it's a superficial MMO ffs.
That I played during the recent Free Weekend for a few dozen hours because a friend wanted to try it, and it was much improved from the mess it was at Launch/during the Pre-Release Open Beta. Especially now that there's NPCs, more Quests and Factions to choose from - still don't know if Multiplayer makes actual sense given the issues it still has with that and the inherent problems with the engine, but the thing I actually liked about it is that it's built more like an MMO with "diverse" distinct zones. The middle one being all Green, the North being a Barren Radioactive swamp and the South being a zone covered in Ash (that's as far as I got). It has a plastic-y Disneyland feel to it, but at least there's new stuff to discover that's not all the same drab, dreary, samey Wasteland and the same building you feel you've entered for a hundred times like in F3/4 and some locations were actually entertaining if you didn't just follow the story-path. Also the exploration component based on things like Logs and Notes has been somewhat improved upon with more intricate location-based ones and overarching ones spanning the entire game world.

It's kind of funny how the release of new Shitshows can put older Shitshows somewhat in perspective ("At least they didn't..."), showing that Yes it can always get worse. We'll see if CDPR will release Expansions with as much content, Bug fixes and general improvements as they did over the next 2 years, but given that they want to use Cyberpunk 2077 as a framework for their Live Service Multiplayer/Online part I'd say one might expect it, especially in regards to game mechanics, activities and systems that might make the world feel more lived-in and alive and as such more attractive for a Multiplayer game.

Last edited:

Potato Canon

Novice
I'm amused, but not surprised, that the Japanese were used as Chinese surrogates in having a military and corporate foothold in the FUSA. It hearkens back to 'Homefront', where the invading villain/China-stand ins were the Norks, of all people.

Foundations of the current Cyberpunk lore were built in the 1980's, Japanese made perfect sense at that time and why Japanese culture and imagery, corporations are heavily featured in not just the official Cyberpunk lore but the cyberpunk genre overall.

DeepOcean

Arcane
In the begining I wasnt really feeling for this game, the combat was clunky and I was mostly farming for street creeds on NCPD hotspots and doing side gigs after the biochip main mission. In the beginning, the side gigs were just a bunch of smalll side gigs, rescue ripper doc from gangers, rescue ganger from his ex gang, kill cyberpsycho, I was really afraid most of those missions would be just Ubisoft bs (NCPD hotspots are just Ubisoft bs), I was finding it okay at best, just cyber GTA until I got the more interesting gigs. I got a gig where I needed to kill the owner of a club, I imagined it would be just a fairly simple mission and blast a few gangster and be done like the ones before until I decided to make a few tests.

It was a two floor club where the target was on the second floor. In the beginning, I was thinking about just go guns blazing until I saw a side gate, got in there and got on a stairs up on a nearby building. There was a door in there where I could use technical ability to open but as I didnt have enough technical ability, I was thinking that I had no choice. Until I noticed, the club building was reasonably close to the building I was, so I jumped from the building I was into the roof of the nearby club. I headshot a guard in the balcony, then I realized I was right on the bedroom of the target, killed him and then it was mission over, if I wanted, I could leave the club and end the mission but I decided to just shoot the rest of the gangers and loot their shit. I'm not sure but that door I couldnt open on the nearby building, I bet I could go through there and one tap the target without even getting inside the club through his window. It was a nice level, sure, it is no sandbox Deus Ex or Dishonored level but it was in there that I realized the game wasnt just cyber GTA and it was actually a little incline from the overwhelming cutscene ridden main missions.

It was a pretty detailed little level for an open world game, if it was GTA, it would be just a shooting gallery from start to finish with scripted shit all over it and if you deviated a single bit from the path, it was mission over.This wasnt the only mission that offered multiple access routes but some smaller missions end so quickly that you barely notice if you go to eliminate the targets on a lethal way. Far more annoying than the pedestrian ai is the enemy ai, I grabbed a guy right in front of his dude and I just dragged him into the room behind me and he didnt get hostile immediately, WTF. It was a nice little incline on the middle of alot of popamole.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom