Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

Smoker

Scholar
Needs more schemes, CBs, duels, ways to develop vassals / courtiers. Dynasty rivalry

Thorgeim

Educated
Eh... CK3's UI was really cancer last time I checked, and was really difficult to navigate even for a CK2 veteran. CK2 had it much better designed, and it's not really too complicated even with all the DLCs.

Strange, are you playing on a 4:3 screen? I find the UI much better than CK2 overall. Yes some things are a bit weird like not being able to get rid of the suggestion icon, otherwise I like everything else more than CK2 UI.

CK2 performs just fine, don't know what you are talking about. If anything CK3 has more issues there.
u wot? Unless they pulled a great patch out of their asses since last time I played CK2, (It's possible I guess) the performance absolutely tanks after 100+ years played. You don't lose framerate, but the rate the game advances even on maximum speed slows dramatically.

The first major patch significantly improved the UI, in my opinion.
Agreed, the only area where I'd complain about CK3's UI now that I've learned it is it can be chunky and take up arguably too much space. Everything's fine in a vacuum but on occasions when an event pops and then you decide you want to look up a title or a character sheet or whatever for more information it can get a little packed. Well, I guess I have a second complaint. I'd still like the realm coloration that CK2 had. Still not as easy to see the land owned by dukes in my kingdom at a glance. I think there's a mod for it but I haven't nabbed it yet, and I know you can ctrl-click your realm to SORT OF bring up that overlay but the coloration is kinda fucked. Currently on a newbie-island Ireland game and the bites I own of England and Scotland have red and yellow coloration with that overlay so it's not particularly good.

Norfleet

u wot? Unless they pulled a great patch out of their asses since last time I played CK2, (It's possible I guess) the performance absolutely tanks after 100+ years played. You don't lose framerate, but the rate the game advances even on maximum speed slows dramatically.
I find that after that 100 years have passed, I'm not normally running maximum speed anyway because there's always something I need to do. Speeding along when you have only one stack out in the field is one thing, but when you have 50 stacks combing the map, you no longer get to slap maximum speed because someone always needs new orders.

I find that after that 100 years have passed, I'm not normally running maximum speed anyway because there's always something I need to do. Speeding along when you have only one stack out in the field is one thing, but when you have 50 stacks combing the map, you no longer get to slap maximum speed because someone always needs new orders.
'spose that's true, it just stands out less to me since I usually work on making my fat and decadent empire/kingdom start collapsing and getting fucked up rather than striving to continue map painting. And when CK2 starts shitting the bed is usually after I've grown large enough I start to feel like getting a string of really shitty kings.

Norfleet

Also, I suspect the main cause of your slowdown is the uncontrolled inflation of the number of characters.

I never really saw this slowdown in my games, because my playstyle of aggressive industriousness tends to involve leaving no army idle, and thus I am constantly pillaging the shit out of everyone else and sacrificing all their courtiers to HIGH_GOD_NAME, racking up average per-reign body counts in the multiple thousands.

CK3, on the other hand, is very much character-starved by comparison: VERY few characters even exist in the world compared to CK2's cast.

CK2 performs just fine, don't know what you are talking about. If anything CK3 has more issues there.

Midgame (I guess I can't really call it lategame since I've never played more than 300 or so years) CK2 still runs quicker for me than any other modern Paradox game does at the start of the game. If anything slows the game down it's the event spam, but that's just a symptom of too many things going on in a large empire and too much DLC. There was a patch that very significantly improved performance, not sure when you last played.

It certainly slows down a little but absolutely not what I would consider "tanked" performance, not compared to other Paradox games. Maybe CK2 slows down by 25% while EU4/HoI4 slow down by 50% and Stellaris by 90%. CK3 performance being about equal to CK2, except when I played it seemed to have some slowdown for playing large empires (not sure if recent patches fixed this).

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
Not sure if anyone's pimped this mod here but Godherja is a pretty damn good dark fantasy total conversion. Seems to be an entirely original (and surprisingly well thought-out and deep) setting with notes of Kenshi, Warhammer Fantasy, Age of Decadence, ASoIaF and the Dominions series. A loose coalition of barbarians led by a great warrior chieftain have just shattered and overrun a long-ailing Byzantine-esque magocracy what has now splintered into various cults, pretenders and ex-legions. Lots of interesting religions and characters to play around with. Well polished and seems a lot of time and love have gone into it. Also has a working magic system.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2326030123&searchtext=

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
I absolutely despise the way map works in CK3 – zoom in, you get translucent fucking bullshit instead of solid colors. Zoom out, you are selecting the ruler of the entire realm instead of a county – is there some good mod that fixes this?

I absolutely despise the way map works in CK3 – zoom in, you get translucent fucking bullshit instead of solid colors. Zoom out, you are selecting the ruler of the entire realm instead of a county – is there some good mod that fixes this?

uninstall.exe

It's actually kind of amazing how Paradox decides to go experimental with every new game's UI, fucking up basic shit that only gets fixed 12-24 months later. They've pulled the whole "maybe we can remove mapmodes" thing with every game since EU4 I think.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
It's actually kind of amazing how Paradox decides to go experimental with every new game's UI, fucking up basic shit that only gets fixed 12-24 months later. They've pulled the whole "maybe we can remove mapmodes" thing with every game since EU4 I think.

But all those buttons are so confusing, really get in the way of releasing the game on mobile.

thesecret1

Arcane
I really hope this gets fixed. It's infuriating. It's a classic example of the UI trying to think for the user, only this UI assumes the user is retarded. I know where I'm fucking clicking, if I wanted to select the ruler, I'd click on that comically large coat of arms hovering above the country's capital. But no, I have to zoom in retardedly close to be allowed to inspect who is the actual fucking owner of the province.

Speaking of which, why the fuck did they move the top menu with the character and stuff down to the lower left corner? If I'm inspecting a holding and want to move to the character menu, I can't because the fucking holding window is blocking it. It's so damn stupid, It's like they made it different just for the sake of being different, like a complete moron designed the whole thing. It doesn't even matter where you go, practically every aspect of the UI is garbage in some way and is an actual pain to work with.

Also is it just me, or does the aesthetic quality of the map get worse and worse with each new paradox game? I swear it gets uglier and uglier every damn time.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I know what didn't sit right with me about Ck3 now, it has that constant busy work shit that Stellaris has just to create the Illusion of activity. You can't go a week in game without something often completely irrelevant happening. There's always something to click on. They were trying to make players have a permanent stream of little dopamine hits by picking lifestyle traits and whatever else all the time.

I know what didn't sit right with me about Ck3 now, it has that constant busy work shit that Stellaris has just to create the Illusion of activity. You can't go a week in game without something often completely irrelevant happening. There's always something to click on. They were trying to make players have a permanent stream of little dopamine hits by picking lifestyle traits and whatever else all the time.

OH LOOK I GOT A KITTY

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

OH LOOK I GOT A KITTY

button.png
PET KITTY (Not available until 10.04.1089)

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
By the way guys, so you know, Imperator Rome is better than this shiet, unless you are interested in cuckoldry sims. Just FYI.

I played both games and indeed had more fun doing my Sicily campaign in Rome then than playing CK3, of course I played CK3 bare bones with no DLCs and mods but I had to agree with Turk heretic here, Rome just nail the balance between RP and grand strategy better, shame that every barbarian nation still plays the same though, and there is no way to change your dynasty and then country culture and religion the way you can do it in CK 2 and 3.

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
I played both games and indeed had more fun doing my Sicily campaign in Rome then than playing CK3, of course I played CK3 bare bones with no DLCs and mods but I had to agree with Turk heretic here, Rome just nail the balance between RP and grand strategy better, shame that every barbarian nation still plays the same though, and there is no way to change your dynasty and then country culture and religion the way you can do it in CK 2 and 3.

It’s a shame that the Bronze Age mod moved from Imperator to CK3, it looked so promising. I haven’t played CK3, but it seems to suck the will to mod(fix) it out of anyone who tries.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Biggest issue about ck3 is the lack of good mods. I can't bring myself to play 2 again, but all my last playthroughs were heavily modded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom