Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

GOG.com

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It would take a long time to transfer your data over, but you can buy a fully loaded Dell MD1200 for less than $800 on eBay. I got one recently and it’s 12x 3TB drives. I have it set up in a RAID 6 configuration, which limits the amount of space to 30TB, but it can survive 2 drive failures at once.

You would need some kind of HBA or a PC capable of accepting a SAS connection. I use mine with a Dell R610, personally. I store all sorts of stuff on my cluster (movies, mostly) and it works quite well. I would recommend it.
That's interesting, thanks. Not sure I need such a sophisticated setup, but I'll mull it over.

Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
/fronzel/ was right again!
Come Cyberpunk 2077, we'll all gonna get a big fat DRM dildo shoved up our collective ass. Mark my words.

I've been wondering how they will weasel their way out of their assurances that they will always have offline installers. So, here's how I think it's going to work: You can download the game from your browser, but you'll need to have a Cyberpunk profile to play/save your game etc (or, if you're already a user, you'll get logged in via your Galaxy/gog profile). Conveniently, non-gog customers who open a profile via Cyberpunk would automatically create a corresponding Galaxy/gog profile, which would boost the numbers of active gog users. All the while gog could still claim: "Whaddya want? It's sill DRM-free! It still has offline installers!"

Something like that is coming. You wait and see!
The moment of truth is here, folks!
https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/goodies#how-it-works
After installing the game, log in to REDlauncher using your GOG account. For GWENT rewards, make sure to use the same GOG account you use to play GWENT on PC or mobile.
Just like I imagined: All U console peasants and Steamtards are getting gog accounts! No way out now!!! No more escaping Marcin Iwinski's clutches!!!:salute:
8d1c8cd1-0bb3-4e16-af5e-361c322e26b2.gif

Welp, it finally happened! Gog has given birth to the monster it tried to fight. At least from the looks of it they were nice enough to lube up the DRM dildo by locking only cosmetic shit behind the launcher rather than crucial features.

Lilliput McHammersmith

/fronzel/ was right again!
Come Cyberpunk 2077, we'll all gonna get a big fat DRM dildo shoved up our collective ass. Mark my words.

I've been wondering how they will weasel their way out of their assurances that they will always have offline installers. So, here's how I think it's going to work: You can download the game from your browser, but you'll need to have a Cyberpunk profile to play/save your game etc (or, if you're already a user, you'll get logged in via your Galaxy/gog profile). Conveniently, non-gog customers who open a profile via Cyberpunk would automatically create a corresponding Galaxy/gog profile, which would boost the numbers of active gog users. All the while gog could still claim: "Whaddya want? It's sill DRM-free! It still has offline installers!"

Something like that is coming. You wait and see!
The moment of truth is here, folks!
https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/goodies#how-it-works
After installing the game, log in to REDlauncher using your GOG account. For GWENT rewards, make sure to use the same GOG account you use to play GWENT on PC or mobile.
Just like I imagined: All U console peasants and Steamtards are getting gog accounts! No way out now!!! No more escaping Marcin Iwinski's clutches!!!:salute:
8d1c8cd1-0bb3-4e16-af5e-361c322e26b2.gif

Welp, it finally happened! Gog has given birth to the monster it tried to fight. At least from the looks of it they were nice enough to lube up the DRM dildo by locking only cosmetic shit behind the launcher rather than crucial features.
You could always not buy it

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
/fronzel/ was right again! [..] At least from the looks of it they were nice enough to lube up the DRM dildo by locking only cosmetic shit behind the launcher rather than crucial features.

The entire point of a game being DRM-free is that there isn't DRM to block you from playing the game and control where, when and how you play the game. While having some hats behind a login screen is disappointing, it doesn't make the game itself have DRM.

As long as i can download the game, put it on my external HDD and play it in another computer without the need to do any form of authentication, the game is DRM-free. This isn't some nebulous and vague definition, a game either has DRM (which would block such use) or it doesn't. There isn't middle ground.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bonus cosmetics or cheat items for making an account or buying a Mountain Dew or whatever the fuck else are not DRM, no matter how much the militant want to insist they are.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Bonus cosmetics or cheat items for making an account or buying a Mountain Dew or whatever the fuck else are not DRM, no matter how much the militant want to insist they are.

I agree. However, to be clear, they are not DRM for the game but they are DRM'd items themselves even if they are unimportant fluff - unlike functionality that has some reason (if weak) to require GOG Galaxy (which is why some multiplayer parts of games are only available through the GOG Galaxy version), there isn't really a technical reason for those items to be locked behind a GOG account. Which is why i wrote it is disappointing.

However strictly speaking that doesn't make the game itself have DRM nor GOG having games with DRM.

In any case, i do hope they'll be released as offline installers down the line after their purpose to entice new users install GOG Galaxy is done.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I agree. However, to be clear, they are not DRM for the game but they are DRM'd items themselves even if they are unimportant fluff - unlike functionality that has some reason (if weak) to require GOG Galaxy (which is why some multiplayer parts of games are only available through the GOG Galaxy version), there isn't really a technical reason for those items to be locked behind a GOG account. Which is why i wrote it is disappointing.

I guess it's a solid point the costumes or whatever have DRM. Though maybe once you download them initially you can back them up and use them forever, we don't know. Signing in once to get content is something you obviously do on GOG already. I guess I just don't care enough about cosmetics to think about it really. It's like the Mankind Divided cheat items being limited use, I didn't care because I... well, didn't care. It is a bad sign about how far they're willing to go to push Galaxy though, granted.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
If anybody is thinking about getting Wolfenstein II, make sure to check out the price! In my region buying the base game (60% off) & season pass (70% off) separately is considerably cheaper (the difference amounts to €4.51 here) than buying the Digital Deluxe Edition bundle (60% off).

Interesting, I see the base prices are weird too, the main game costs 30,the season pass 25 while the deluxe edition that has both costs 60,5 more that the other two together lol.I see they have the same fucked up prices on Steam too

WTF Bethesda?

Last edited by a moderator:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
FYI, Wolfenstein 2 has a whacked out retarded storyline but it's mostly kept to cutscenes between missions now, and the gunplay is pretty damn good. The DLCs are mostly crap but the "Agent Silent Death" one is kinda neat because of stealth focus and more unique mission locations. The other two feel like retreads of the base game.

I'll re-buy it on GOG someday but not for $24.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Wolfenstein sale was a bit back. Grabbed it all for damn cheap. Except II.. dunno how i missed that.

Wunderbar

Arcane
FYI, Wolfenstein 2 has a whacked out retarded storyline but it's mostly kept to cutscenes between missions now, and the gunplay is pretty damn good.
gunplay is the only thing this game has going for it, because the level design/encounter design/enemy variety are on the same atrocious level as the story.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
gunplay is the only thing this game has going for it, because the level design/encounter design/enemy variety are on the same atrocious level as the story.

I don't really disagree, all those take steps back from the "first" one and Old Blood. I wouldn't say horrible, but definitely mediocre. Story is horrible. Gunplay is great. What sale price that balances out to I leave up to the reader.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom