Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

kites

samsung verizon hitachi
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
haven't put a load of time into it; but there's a lot to love, and a lot to hate. the dark moody moments have been the highlight (arasaka/takemura bits especially so far).. the gta-type "parody"/projection of the "future" feels kinda realistic, but also takes away from it sometimes..

idk if i'm missing anything but it seems like an underrail-style sneaky trap build isn't really a thing here? no mines/etc.. i'm hoping hacking will have more interesting abilities later, because taking higher-level enemies head-on usually results in me hitting the eject button when a group comes running in my face

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Character progression has nothing to do with role-playing. It's perfectly possible to create a role-playing game with no character levels/progression, every skill/talent/perk/trait etc. can be chosen at character creation and such a game would most likely be much more realistic and have a much higher replay value.

Also, why do people keep saying "bullet sponge enemies?"

If it takes at least 4-5 shots to take down an unarmored enemy with your basic gun, that enemy is called bullet sponge and it's exactly the case in this game.

Nonsense, bullet sponges are enemies that take a lot more than 4-5 shots to take down. Most bosses in most games are bullet sponges by design - although some developers go too far with it (e.g. Destiny). The vids way back in this thread just before launch showed a bullet sponge effect - lots of shots, lots of headshots especially. I suspect those early vids were made by trolls just using early weak weapons against later level mobs, because that's not the experience you get while playing the game.

As to progression - progression is essential to the gameplay side of RPGs. Most people wouldn't be happy with a game where nothing improves. You want to feel a sense of growth and development, like a successful life in miniature. At the same time, a good progression system has meat on the bones for people who like to think deeply about their builds and weigh up multiple factors, min-max, etc.

Honestly on Very Hard by level 20 I've found that my character is nearly unstoppable. My first "real" character was all blades and I could easily charge into packs of enemies and butcher them all with very little help. It was tough at first...

My current character, where Im pumping hacking/tech/cool only, I'm one-shotting people with my pistol easy, burning people to death with a single use of overheat etc, and if I ever run into trouble I have a smart SMG, a tech sniper and a rocket launcher wrist all of which basically delete single enemies with no issues. I actually thought the max level was 30, but it's actually 50, which is insane to me. By level 44 you can have 3 attributes completely maxed out and another 6 to spare. And you'll hit max street cred LONG before that, too, lmao. It's honestly harder to max out skills than it is to level up. This rpg lets you get super strong and almost pointlessly so, as I took down the final boss on very hard with the "no side content done, base ending" ending in two tries. The only boss that was hard was Oda, and thats because he was the first enemy I had to parry with my blades character, I was literally able to win every fight by charging a power attack and having it instantly transition to a kill animation before that.

This is why I think it's more fair to compare it to a bethesda RPG than anything else because Bethesda games basically just let you become (eventually) a god that's unstoppable and that certainly is the case in cyberpunk. The only enemies that worry my ass are those sniper rifle ones, which kill me in 1-2 hits, but since I can double jump to sniper nests super easy...

Yeah, there's definitely a problem with the progression from my point of view, but to a large extent this really is a matter of psychology and personal taste. Some people like to struggle all the way through and "beat the game," some people even like the game to get harder as you progress, some people like the game to get easier as you progress (or looking at it the other way, the player to be more powerful). Some people hate power trips, others love them.

This is why modding exists, to satisfy all those finicky, persnickety tastes out there.

De gustibus non est disputandum. But I think we here at the codex just love bitching about each others' tastes, that's why it's such a prestigious place :D

Perkel

Arcane
idk if i'm missing anything but it seems like an underrail-style sneaky trap build isn't really a thing here? no mines/etc.. i'm hoping hacking will have more interesting abilities later, because taking higher-level enemies head-on usually results in me hitting the eject button when a group comes running in my face

Yeah there are no player mines you can only hack mines already in place and make them "friendly". I would love if they would add C4 like bombs, mines and other forms of traps, flathead which was in work but was scrapped etc.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
haven't put a load of time into it; but there's a lot to love, and a lot to hate. the dark moody moments have been the highlight (arasaka/takemura bits especially so far).. the gta-type "parody"/projection of the "future" feels kinda realistic, but also takes away from it sometimes..

There are higher-tier granades which can stick to surfaces, but I've never tried doing it.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
That's a misnomer if there ever was one, unless by "good enough" you mean "booting the game up doesn't set my PC/console/house on fire". And what an achievement that is, CDPR can make a game that you can actually open up, truly the RPG GOTYAY.

Anything that isn't related to the writing and (some) voice acting is actively repulsive, and even the writing and VA is barely passable.

Yes, that's what the quotation marks around 'good enough' mean.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Lmao see you in 10 years after 10 DLCs and 5 special editions + two extra hardware upgrade cycles.
Awfully optimistic of you to assume CDPR will bother supporting the game for that long.

All the dumb suckers already gave them their money.

Quillon

Arcane
Finished it in 70 hours. Shoulda finished it in 30 if not for the "gigs" and ncpd scanner bloat which are not being introduced gradually but all at once from the get go, shit pacing(inb4: -but you don't have to do them bro etc) that's my first gripe with the game. The 2nd is V's character is too predetermined, thought they'd loosen it up a bit with there being 2 genders, custom appearance etc but nah, its Geralt all over again. Other than that it's an awesome game. Just love the city, its just incredible how detailed it is and how distinct the districts look & feel.

Also its noticeable there were a lot of cuts from main and real side quests, pre-release talk about "12 endings to Maelstorm quest alone" my ass. They've probably cut an entire act Witcher 2 style cos the game literally goes: act 2 --> end and feels like there should be an act 3.

Gameplay is standard :P Hacking made it too easy on hardest diff.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
BTW, I have ignored the NCPD calls (I avoid combat whenever I can). Is there any advantage in doing this ?
Do they unlock story developments and new quests ?

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

Yeah there are no player mines you can only hack mines already in place and make them "friendly". I would love if they would add C4 like bombs, mines and other forms of traps, flathead which was in work but was scrapped etc.
you can disable a mine for 130 engineering exp, and then blow it up with a hack for 120 breach protocol exp. best game

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Absolutely fucking based.:salute:

They got asked something like that in the conference call - what if you had released only on consoles and next gen and postponed current gen consoles To which the CDPR guy replied that they don't have a next gen version yet and the next gen consoles and the current gen consoles are running the same version of the game. I think he misunderstood the question and it is technically possible for MS and Sony to detect which kind of console is connecting to the store and disallow the game for current gen.

AwesomeButton

Patron
BTW, I have ignored the NCPD calls (I avoid combat whenever I can). Is there any advantage in doing this ?
Street cred, XP and of course - l00t (money). As if that's not enough, the cops also pay you for the clearing out of punks.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station

If you mean the messages which flash up when you're near a crime scene, I've not seen anything beyond rewards for dealing with that incident. Some of them are a nice difference with the unique NPCs in them but nothing amazing.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
To me C77 feels like true next gen game while every other game is just two levels below it:
- Guns have no business being this good in open world game yet they do and in fact they are far better than most of dedicated shooters and for me personally they give best gun feel right now topping Destiny and Doom.
- Cars shouldn't have better physics than literally car driving game like GTA5 and yet they do being imo only worse to Forzahorizon
- it has no business being better at being DeusEx as open world game than actual DeusEx with its closed world and yet it is, moreover the more you play it the more it plays like MGS5

On top of that there is stuff that expected from CDPR game like:
- characters
- story
- side missions
- world design

Which all are above and beyond what TW3 delivered which already was sitting on top. TW3 feels like last gen game compared to 77 right now on those fronts.

Yes bugs deteriorate that for many people but once game will be patched this will be game people will play for years if not for multiple play-troughs to see whole story then for game-play itself and world doing multiple different builds etc.

77 started next gen without asking anyone for permission in both gameplay and graphics.
Is this serious or are you memeing or something?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom