Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is Dark Souls overrated?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Dante looking like a faggot is the reason i can't play DMC lmao.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
In case of Max Payne 3 it certainly wasn't improved by it,

Didn't care for the story, but it's gameplay MP3 was very fun and solid
That's enough for me

Or that DMC would have the same charm without those cinematics of Dante's whacky shenanigans?
I could definitely live without retarded DMC cutscenes, I enjoy these games for gameplay and gameplay only.

It doesn't disprove my claim
Regardless if someone likes it not or those spectacle fighters wouldn't as nearly as entertaining and charming without that energy
Doubt it, just look at what having a super serious main character did for Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3

Witcher 2

Been some years since I've played it
While I distinctly remenber finding the gameplay flawed and mediocre, I did enjoy the quests, locations, atmosphere and the different playthroughs
But I would agree that it is one of the weakest picks in the list
Still had fun with it

Doubt it, just look at what having a super serious main character did for Ninja Gaiden 2 and 3

If it's not on PC it doesn't exist to me. Anyway it's not about lack of seriousness, I don't give a shit about that, I'm just not into retarded animu shit. I've also said before in other thread that I'll take unserious cringe of DMC over serious brain cancer of MGSV any day. That was so bad I dropped it before even getting past the intro, despite actually having some fun with gameplay in that prequel/demo thing. It would have to have the best gameplay know to man for me to even consider suffering through that. I don't ever want to try whatever drug that Kojima faggot is using.

Last edited:

Egosphere

Arcane
I uninstalled max payne 3 when he ran into the building full of enemies and got fabiana killed.
You spend the whole series diving in slow-mo and clearing rooms full of mobsters, but they took that away from you to dump a stupid cutscene in its place to move the plot along. Laughable.

I uninstalled max payne 3 when he ran into the building full of enemies and got fabiana killed.

Yep, from a wisecracking badass in first game to this pathetic idiot in the third. What a way to ruin a character. The brazilian sidekick in 3 is more Max Payne than Max himself.

Last edited:

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I'd say people definitely tend to exagerate how much meaning is in the lore and shit but hey at least the atmosphere is great. Beats animu shit for sure.

Silva

Arcane
The only thing overrated about Dark Souls is the setting, which is just some random shit for lorefags' public Youtube brain masturbation.
The smart thing in DS1 is not the setting, but the blanks that Miyazaki left (out of lazyness but he says it's on purpose) and made fans go crazy with theories.

The art of telling a story by not telling a story.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
Was there some kind of mod to remove the post-processing? That's the main thing that bothered me, really. The game's fine, but I'd much prefer not to be forced to view it through kewl photoslop filters. It really seems like everyone just collectively forgot how colours actually look, as if things aren't good enough until some retard pisses all over them.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
You can remove motion blur and depth of field both in dsfix and the remaster. Never felt the need to go beyond that.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Seriously, do you think Thief would be a better off without it's fmv's?
Do you think Max Payne would have the same atmosphere without Max's narration?
Or that DMC would have the same charm without those cinematics of Dante's whacky shenanigans?

1. It wouldn't matter either way. Thief is all about what you're doing in the moment. FMV's are a nice bonus, but hardly necessary.
2. No, but personally I'd like it more.
3. DMC 1 is still the best 19 years on, so actually that'd be an improvement.

Oh, and Dark Souls is overrated, but people like me are the reason why as I (erroneously) think it's a flawless masterpiece.

Shitposter
It's easy to say that dark souls is overrated in 2020 when it's been out for hundreds of years and we have like a million clones.
BUT, prior to the release Dark Souls, the closest game to "dark souls" was like... Morrowind or something
think about that
dark souls was like a video game evolution, bro

(demon souls doesn't count nobody knew wtf that shit was and if you played it you're a console idiot so your opinion doesn't matter anyway)

Nevermore

Novice
I managed to complete Dark Souls only the last year. I tried playing it three times since its release and each time I failed — the combat felt strange, the controls felt bad, I was constantly dying.
Everything changed when I bought PS4 and tried playing DS again with a Dualshock controller instead of my old cheap Logitech. Plus, I remembered the basics like not going to the skeletons below just from the start. Suddenly, I felt that I didn't suffer anymore and the game was actually teaching me how to play it with not so obvious design decisions: don't rush in a new location, look for patterns in enemy behaviour, invest souls not only in health but stamina as well, your shield can be used even against a giant-sized weapon.
And then I learned that the game world was interconnected with different routes, and this felt great — when you fought for 10-20 hours in a distant location, managed to beat its boss, and after that you saw an old elevator that returned you to the starting point. I didn't encounter something like this in all recent AAA-games.
So, I don't think DS is overrated. Even now it can be a pleasant and rewarding discovery for someone like me who couldn't understand how to play it for a long time.

Gruncheon

Savant
It has caused a great damage.

Please try and remember gaming in the late 2010s - it's hard to describe just how much of a creative wasteland the era was. Every major release seemed to be a brown-tone cover-based military shooter - there was a clear effort to reduce and nullify all gameplay elements in all genres so that nobody could be alienated or challenged.

Dark Souls was the antithesis of that entire mentality. Its legacy has often been misinterpreted (a lot of devs think that Dark Souls was good because it was 'balls hard', which it never was, and nobody since has managed to replicate the minimalistic, archaeological style of storytelling as well as Dark Souls did), but its undeniable that it set off an explosion of life in the industry which was much to its benefit.

Pentium

Learned
Not only it is overrated, it is actually TRASH GARBAGE PIECE OF SHIT.

Any moron who was actually duped to force himself to "enjoy it" because other morons online pretended to do the same, is a sheeple.
DS si not Skyrim, y'know, bro. You actually need to use both mouse buttons.

NerevarineKing

Learned
I never got the point of calling things "overrated". Just play it for yourself and form your own opinions about the game. Bloodborne and DS1 are some of favorite games, but it's fine if you think they suck.

(Also, some people seem to think that action combat isn't good unless it's fast, flashy, and has a lot of pretty colors on screen.)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom