Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Gordian Nutt

Educated
I respectfully disagree, because:

1) ANY game's subreddit are just angry no-lifes, who are so invested in a given game they actually engange in said subreddit to post about it day or night; due to such emotional investment whatever the game can provide can never be enough for their deranged fantasies. Stockholm syndrome at its finest.

this is not true of the Outer Worlds reddit which is mostly positive

This is very true of Bloodlines 2 reddit however

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
rabid SJWs feel they need to demonstrate how cool and virtuous they are by dissing the game is interesting.

Where have you seen that at all?

The trannie fiasco as the other guy mentioned, also there's a review from one a few posts after the Anglin review.

Andrew Anglin is the boss of the Daily Stormer, a White Nationalist website, maybe the most banned site on the global internet (couldn't even get a host at in any country one point). But actually he's not as sound as all that, he's just loud and a self-publicist (or was until his global ostracism) - but he sometimes writes good things (although this review isn't one of them :) ).

I'm more of a TRS man myself, Mike Enoch's one of my faves, the man's a genius (Mark Collett's sort of a British equivalent). There's a logically coherent narrative coming from that quarter that's even head and shoulders above many WN takes, and leaves normie politics in the dust.

Enoch - sounds suspiciusly Jewish lol.

What is this site? Who are they?

The Daily Stormer is a far right news site run by Andrew Anglin. There used to be other writers, most notably Erik Striker, but funds dried up and now it's just Anglin. Personally I like his work.

OK they are far-right, but who are they? There are different rigths, rigth? What they are for? Is there any they, or it's just he alone?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
rabid SJWs feel they need to demonstrate how cool and virtuous they are by dissing the game is interesting.

Where have you seen that at all?

The trannie fiasco as the other guy mentioned, also there's a review from one a few posts after the Anglin review.

Andrew Anglin is the boss of the Daily Stormer, a White Nationalist website, maybe the most banned site on the global internet (couldn't even get a host at in any country one point). But actually he's not as sound as all that, he's just loud and a self-publicist (or was until his global ostracism) - but he sometimes writes good things (although this review isn't one of them :) ).

I'm more of a TRS man myself, Mike Enoch's one of my faves, the man's a genius (Mark Collett's sort of a British equivalent). There's a logically coherent narrative coming from that quarter that's even head and shoulders above many WN takes, and leaves normie politics in the dust.

Enoch - sounds suspiciusly Jewish lol.

What is this site? Who are they?

The Daily Stormer is a far right news site run by Andrew Anglin. There used to be other writers, most notably Erik Striker, but funds dried up and now it's just Anglin. Personally I like his work.

OK they are far-right, but who are they? There are different rigths, rigth? What they are for? Is there any they, or it's just he alone?

It's an old nom-de-guerre I believe. He's half Swedish, half Slavic. They're White Nationalists, somewhere inbetween traditionalalist conservatives and fascists, with maybe a faint echo of some libertarian aspects. Some of them have just started a new party in the US (the National Justice Party - in the UK there's one called Patriotic Alternative). Early days yet, and of course it's incredibly hard to get anything like that off the ground in today's atmosphere, it's going to take several years to build, but the intention is to offer a genuine, un-cucked alternative to "conservative" (actually controlled opposition) parties. (Not that the idea is to necessarily to be elected, but more to be a vanguard and stand publicly for a position).

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
He also calls Wasteland 3 the best game ever.

Does not matter. He made exellent point about cyberpunk as genre of fiction, which I never seen anyone mentioned in any revio about the game.
People analize CP as game. As shooter, RPG, other.
But what about CP2077 being analized as part of FUCKING CYBERPUNK genre?
He was the first.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
He also calls Wasteland 3 the best game ever.

Does not matter. He made exellent point about cyberpunk as genre of fiction, which I never seen anyone mentioned in any revio about the game.
People analize CP as game. As shooter, RPG, other.
But what about CP2077 being analized as part of FUCKING CYBERPUNK genre?
He was the first.

I think part of the problem for me is that the cyberpunk genre itself is really passe - I don't think many believe today that things like self-aware AI are just around the corner, or that "cyberware" will be ubiquitous or that you'll be able to upload minds. Those are old dreams from the 80s. One almost feels like one is perusing an antique store. Only Boomers and Gen-X-ers, nostalgic about Blade Runner and Neuromancer, and the tabletop game, really love it still.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Early days yet, and of course it's incredibly hard to get anything like that off the ground in today's atmosphere, it's going to take several years to build, but the intention is to offer a genuine, un-cucked alternative to "conservative" (actually controlled opposition) parties. (Not that the idea is to necessarily to be elected, but more to be a vanguard and stand publicly for a position).

But they don't wave with nazi banners, rigth? No posters with Hitler in the closet, and similiar shit? Cause if yes their work is doomed to fail because of just this, the rest factors not included.
Also, as soon as they will get even the slightest influence, they will be cucked by security service, CIA and you name it, there are a lot of ways.
Or simply killed.
You can't use traditional political scene - it's 100% under control.

Vatnik Wumao
I forgot to say this before, but the idea that anyone can just disable your implants with a snap of their fingers, because apparently network security does not exist in this world, is just so incredulously inane. If this is something that would pose such vulnerability, the chip(s) that are responsible for control of implants would just become completely isolated from any wireless communication.
It is something that Todd Howard would come up with. "How can we put magic into this sci-fi setting?"

Network security exist, you are treating net-runners as grass it seems but in lore they are elite and they are main defense against other net-runners. Moreover we are talking about world in which you can be born without legs and get fairly cheap leg replacement.
There are basically no one that is not modified in some way. Personal link also is kind of security which V often stresses out about.

And 99.999% people out there will never get hacked. So your argument is like that of car safety or knifes in kitchen being used to murder someone so no one would have knives in kitchen.

In the original vision of the game, net running was supposed to be a full scale thing. A cyberspace version of night city would exist and your character could dive into it. The better your net runner skills, the deeper you could go. All that was scrapped in favor of the current hacking system.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Early days yet, and of course it's incredibly hard to get anything like that off the ground in today's atmosphere, it's going to take several years to build, but the intention is to offer a genuine, un-cucked alternative to "conservative" (actually controlled opposition) parties. (Not that the idea is to necessarily to be elected, but more to be a vanguard and stand publicly for a position).

But they don't wave with nazi banners, rigth? No posters with Hitler in the closet, and similiar shit? Cause if yes their work is doomed to fail because of just this, the rest factors not included.
Also, as soon as they will get even the slightest influence, they will be cucked by security service, CIA and you name it, there are a lot of ways.
Or simply killed.
You can't use traditional political scene - it's 100% under control.

No of course not :) I don't think any of them hold out much hope for political solutions in today's climate (though I think there is still a small window of opportunity, it's dwindling fast); it's more about publicizing the truth to normies in a properly organized fashion and forming a vanguard.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
About the end
I found it weird that older human-made engram of Silverhand is compatible with V's body than V's brand new AI made one itself. Going forward are they gonna make Keanu the protag by way of canon; him taking over V's body either now or 6 months later? And we'll play the 100 year old rockstar most every chick wants to bang(Geralt 2.0) in the sequels? :P
They should have made him the protagonist in the first place. It's all they know (Geralt), why go any other way.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I think part of the problem for me is that the cyberpunk genre itself is really passe - I don't think many believe today that things like self-aware AI are just around the corner, or that "cyberware" will be ubiquitous or that you'll be able to upload minds.

But cyberpunk is NOT about what you said at all.
We ARE living in cyberpunk - only not the version writers are concocted for their own literature needs, handsome and romanticised, with brave lone wolfs that figth the opressive corps, covered in shiny chrome, but real cyberpunk - ugly, colorless, choking.
It's the most obvious after covido-hoax, even the generally clueless people like me guessed this.
Cyberpunk is about global technical dictatorship, tyranny, it's techno-fascism, everyone is a slave, personality is absolutely supressed.
And this is what we have now. We are just in the beginning of it.
There is no brave lone wolfs, there is no "free secret nets" where runners could sell something and fight state or even more so corporation.
In fact, whole internet was took under control in Russia in like 5 year, another 5 year and there will be no personal computers for simple citizen, and then they will restrict their ownership at all lol.
Cyberpunk as literature genre was very weak and in addition to that lying on purpose, for pragmatic writer's needs - it's much easier to create novel on lie that there will be free internet and brave lone wolfs, than tell them that there is no hope, and in future every step willl be controlled from birth till grave.

Also, I think self-aware AI is a thing, and it's one of the option for global dictatorship in the future, they will say - you see, we have this thing, it will control everything, it will be better for everyone, no more mistakes, impartiality, obey!

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
though I think there is still a small window of opportunity, it's dwindling fast

That window was when shit in US started. I told them they better to assault army bases with lots a weapon, cause later on this army will be turnedagains them, and those american military will gladly beat the shit out of all of them, white pregnant women included.
They laughed and told me how clever they are, being at home and losing big towns and white people's last influence on politics.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Here it is.

https://kotaku.com/cd-projekt-is-adjusting-cyberpunk-2077s-distracting-amo-1845881919

CD Projekt Is Adjusting Cyberpunk 2077's 'Distracting' Amount Of Dildos

The first time I stepped out of my character’s apartment in Cyberpunk 2077, I expected to be greeted by a vast world of machine-powered possibility. Instead, I found a dildo. It was sitting next to a random NPC’s foot in my apartment building, near a discarded magazine and some other trash. “That’s weird,” I thought. Then I looked up and saw two additional dildos perched on a nearby bannister, positioned between two conversing NPCs who did not seem to be aware of their presence. “That, too, is weird,” I thought.

(Warning: This post contains imagery that might be considered NSFW, but with many of us working from home during the pandemic, what does NSFW even mean anymore, really?)

In my time with Cyberpunk since, I have stumbled across many, many, many more dildos. I’ve taken to documenting every single one I come across. I have screenshotted 29 dildos. They come in two main varieties: the common “studded dildo,” the lowly street pigeon of Cyberpunk 2077's vast dildo underground, and the rarer “Pilomancer 3000,” a utensil of truly formidable size and girth. You can pick them up and either turn them into crafting parts or sell them for a few bucks. They have no use beyond this. Some have been in sex shops and clubs—places where dildos don’t seem so out of place. Others have been on street corners, in restaurants, in chop shops where human beings get disassembled for parts, and of course, scattered amongst garbage, which is pretty much everywhere.

This is distracting! First off, if you create a world that in many ways resembles our own but with significantly greater dildo density, people are going to have questions. But also, I have yet to witness anybody in Cyberpunk actually use a dildo, even in a sex scene between two women. There is an unlockable dildo weapon, but it’s disconnected from the wider plethora of dildos in the game. And while something like that might fit in, say, a Saints Row game, Cyberpunk’s overall tone is much darker, even if some side-quests are humorous and over the top.

So I had to know: Why all the dildos, CD Projekt Red? Why?

“We wanted Night City to be pretty open sexually,” said senior quest designer Philipp Weber in an email to Kotaku, “where something by today’s standards might be taboo or kinky is very normal and commonplace by 2077 standards.”

But just scattering dildos everywhere is an odd way to convey that, especially without much else to directly communicate this larger cultural shift or tie it back to the conspicuous presence of ding dang dildos all over the ding dang place. Yes, sex workers play a large role in Cyberpunk’s story, and it’s not difficult to find them in various portions of Night City, but the game hiccups when it comes to linking this to believable human behavior. There is no reason to believe that sexual liberation would naturally result in people leaving dildos everywhere, especially in light of sanitary concerns and other practical matters. Are these disposable dildos? If not, who in this demonstrably impoverished world can afford to spend so much money on dildos that they ultimately just drop on the ground?

It feels, as with many other elements of Cyberpunk 2077's worldbuilding, like a half-finished thought—an idea that must be explained, rather than one that explains itself. Meanwhile, the game does little to unravel more fundamental questions about its relationship to sex, like the fact that sex work is generally much more accepted and seemingly legal in Night City than it is in our world, yet it is for some reason still intrinsically linked to crime.

Going forward, CD Projekt will not be removing Night City’s preponderance of discarded dildos. Instead, the developer will fine-tune its flock of wayward phalli.

“The second reason for the high amount of dildos in the world is because they can spawn as random loot, and we were still tweaking those settings, so especially during the early reviews, the amount of dildos in the game world was pretty high. We’re going to adjust them so that the dildos don’t appear too out of place/context and distracting and more where they should be by design,” Weber said, also noting that a recent hotfix “may” have already adjusted dildo density to an extent.

So, at the very least, the dildos probably won’t stand out quite so much anymore. They’ll still be present, though, as will the dildo melee weapon, and of course, we’ll always have our memories of the halcyon days of Cyberpunk’s dildo dystopia.

GrafvonMoltke

Shoutbox Purity League
Shitposter
Saw sawyer playing 77, ever 1 minute he saves sometimes twice in row because he don't know if he actually saved game.

91sn32Q.jpg

I've noticed that as well, it's really annoying. The other thing that irritates me about movement controls is how sprinting disengages as soon as you stop moving, like bumping an obstacle, rather than when you release the movement key, Fallout 4 did it much better.

I have the same bug but not just for the crouch button. A good half the time I press the reload button nothing happens and I’m just standing there with an empty gun.

For anyone who’s interested, Loverslab already has a six page thread on CP. Good to know the right people are at work :salute:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
https://dailystormer.su/cyberpunk-2077-is-garbage/
Andrew Anglin said:
I played Cyberpunk 2077 for six hours, and I do not plan to pick it up again, ever.

It turns out that the fear of a political agenda was misplaced, and the real fear should have been that the game would just be absolute garbage from top to bottom, which is what it is.

My first shock was just how unskilled I am at FPS games. I haven’t played one since Fallout: New Vegas, but I have played a realtime shooter in the form of Red Dead Redemption 2, and am relatively competent. It turns out I am not competent at the FPS mechanics of Cyberpunk, and playing it, I felt like an Asian attempting to drive a car. So everything I write about the game should be understood in that light. That is to say: the gameplay is probably good for people who enjoy FPS games, and that might be a big factor for people who are into this kind of game.

The Story is a Bloated Fiasco
I am an RPG player, and was interested in this game because it was advertised as an RPG. It is not an RPG. It is an exposition heavy open-world shooter game with vague “RPG elements.”

I would have felt comfortable bungling my way through the shooting scenes if I felt the story was worthwhile, but it simply is not worthwhile. The dialogue is almost like a satire of cliched 1990s action film dialogue, and the plot is overly ambitious, convoluted garbage, laced with hazy Antifa political messaging. The awkward, stilted dialogue actually works well with the barrage of bankrupt tropes that are strewn together to form this boring, confusing story. (Two tropes do not make a unique plot element, they make a double trope.) I would have loved to be surprised by a rogue AI conspiracy, frankly, and instead I got… evil corporations.

If you’d been sitting and watching this story as a film in the theater, you would get up and walk out, because it is simply not engaging on any level at all (other than visually, I guess, and there are issues with that I will touch on later).

“It’s the fucking corporations, man! Fucking shit! The corporations have the fucking technology man, and they’re doing the fucking money deal! He fucked us, man, he’s working for the fucking corporations again! They’ve got the fucking technology, man, the fucking corporations! We’re gonna have to fucking jack in, man! Fuck! Jack in to the fucking corporations, man! The fucking tech! They got the fucking tech and we’ve gotta fucking jack in!”

I didn’t get deep into the game, but the prologue was enough to give me a very clear view of where they’re going with it. This is intended to be a hugely complex political drama. Based on what I’ve already seen, I can only imagine how bad it gets. It was obvious from the get go that the writers of this game don’t expect the average player to actually even follow the plot, and that is shameful. If you don’t care enough about your story to care if your audience understands it, then you shouldn’t be telling that story.

I always like to think of how I would fix something that I hate. If I’d been given this game and told to fix it, I would have massively scaled down the scope of the plot, making it a crime drama with western elements, allowing the setting to be the setting rather than having the setting moonlight as the core plot. I would have made Keanu the player character, on a mission to settle some personal score, rather than to fight the corporations. Storytelling on this massive scope is virtually always going to end up devolving into convoluted tropes, because very few writers have the ability to make these large story elements personal in a way that makes them meaningful to the reader/viewer/player. A large scale political drama ends up with narrative bloat that has to be bandaged together with deus ex machina papered over with melodrama (see: Game of Thrones final season).

A scaled down main plot would then have been beefed out with side quests and choice-based character development. As it stands now, it’s obvious to me that the RPG character development is going to be drastically limited by a commitment to a large cinematic plot.

Tedious, Mediocre and Ugly
The prologue was probably supposed to take 2 and a half hours. It took me about twice as long as it should have because of the difficulty I have with shooters and the fact that I couldn’t resist the urge to randomly open fire on all of the lesbians and black people in the game, which resulted in me continually having to restart from checkpoints. It felt like pulling teeth.

That is the other thing: this game is nothing but black people and lesbians. You don’t even see a white male, hardly ever. There are Japanese thrown in, inexplicably. Virtually everyone is ugly.

I should note that the satisfaction of shooting some lesbian is minimal, because for whatever reason, bullets rarely result in bullet holes, and instead, headshots more often than not result in “short circuit” electricity animations. You will not find in this game the satisfaction you get in RDR2 when you hold your revolver under some bitch’s chin and blow her brains out. I would say that “unsatisfying” describes virtually every aspect of Cyberpunk 2077.

The graphics themselves are pretty enough. This is the first AAA game I have played since RDR2, and I think that the graphics are improved from that game, though only slightly. The open world of Cyberpunk is surely impressive, and you really do feel like you’re living in this future world, as you run around on the dolled up and burned out streets, looking at the ugly cybernetically enhanced multicultural population and massive, ugly skyscrapers.

The question becomes: why would you want to be in this world? What you see in this game is the nightmare future that we in the right-wing are warning about. Why would someone want to spend their personal relaxation time going into this world? When I play fantasy or traditional science fiction games, I am entering a world that I am intrigued by, a world that I would want to visit. When I play Cyberpunk 2077, I’m entering a world that I fear that I’m going to be forced into before my life ends, a world that I never want to see and which I am fighting to prevent from becoming a reality. Even if the story was good and I enjoyed the gameplay, I would not want to play this game, because I don’t want to enter this world.

I am confused by what the actual thinking here was. I do not know if there are people who want to live in this world, or if it is being presented as a kind of horrorshow, on par with trudging through the nightmare visions of Dark Souls. The thing is, with Dark Souls, or Doom, or some other game where you trudge through a hellscape, it is a fantasy world, and you are a hero conquering it. In Cyberpunk, this hellscape feels all too close to reality, and instead of fighting to conquer it, your player character is an active participant in it. There is a thick nihilism that underscores the entire experience of the game.

There is a kind of core problem here, in that Cyberpunk is a uniquely challenging, politically-charged genre of fiction that is more about warning of a future hell, commenting on contemporary social and technological trends and speculating about their final form, than it is about having fun. Setting an adventure story in a cyberpunk world isn’t the straightforward proposition of an adventure in a fantasy realm, the wild west, outer space or a post-apocalyptic wasteland, as there is no clear path to redemption within the framework of the universe.

Cyberpunk is a uniquely challenging genre. For a game of this scale, that relies this much on cinematic narrative, there has to be some kind of underlying motivation to the action beyond plot. That is to say, you would need clear, meaningful themes that the player is able to relate to. Instead, they garbled up a bunch of genre tropes, mixed with some Antifa gibberish, and backed it with sex and violence and blinking lights. It creates an experience that simply feels wrong.

I think you’re going to have a lot of people disliking this game without being able to explain why they dislike it, simply saying that they find the experience of playing it unpleasant.

Maybe Someone Will Like It?
The art of the game is good, of course, but what computer generated art isn’t good these days? If you simply go click around on Deviantart, you’re going to find an endless well of cool concept art. There is nothing especially original about the aesthetics of Cyberpunk, and in fact, the retro aesthetics feel somewhat dated. That is hardly their fault, as the game was announced in 2012, but we’ve had a solid decade of being inundated with 80s nostalgia, and it just doesn’t feel compelling.

Regarding aesthetics, synthwave does not play heavily in the soundtrack, and they instead opted for a lot of rap music, which I found baffling.

Also with regards to aesthetics, certain mechanics of the game make you feel like you’re in an MK Ultra mind control experiment, which I found unpleasant. When your HP gets low, your vision starts glitching out, creating a seizure like experience. The psychedelic elements of the visuals are done poorly, and come across as repulsive.

There were not a lot of bugs, for day one of a game of this scope. There were regular instances of people talking and their lips not moving, and a few other graphical glitches and some quirky AI, but overall, they did release a more or less polished game, which is a rarity in current year.

If you enjoy shooting games with tedious and psychically draining bullet sponge mechanics (to the point where downed enemies regularly actually get back up), I feel you might enjoy the gameplay. Beyond the construction of the world, the gameplay is clearly what they put the most energy into (and again, I’m not the one to comment on that fairly, because I used to get headaches playing Goldeneye and haven’t taken up FPS since). I also should note that the melee combat, which I am a little bit more comfortable with in first person, feels weightless and button-mashy (but that could be tied to the fact that every character has 1000 HP, and it’s impossible to properly animate a humanoid character getting sliced with a katana 12 times before they go down).

After you make it through the laborious prologue, you will get to explore an open world that a whole lot of care went into building. The open world is bigger than that of Grand Theft Auto V, and it is much more detailed.

I’m sure I would find other things to like if I wasn’t so uninterested in the genre. Obviously, a game of this scope must have something worthwhile in it, somewhere. What I doubt, however, is that the game becomes more interesting. It is story-writing 101 to put your best foot forward in long-form writing, and the best foot of this writing team is a twisted gimp foot on an emaciated bum leg.

I do not recommend buying the game at full price, even if you are a fan of shooter games, and even if you can tolerate entering a hellscape of black people and lesbians, a portrayal of the hell that we are all fighting to prevent from becoming our reality.

We probably should have known better than to hope that a AAA game in 2020 would end up offering a fun experience.

In My View, You Should Play Something Else
The good news is, there are a whole lot of good games being released that are not AAA games. This was actually a fantastic year for games, in my opinion.

I would argue that Wasteland 3 is probably the best game ever made, and I love the Baldur’s Gate III early access. Those are both real RPGs, if any of you youngins want to get the classic experience in a modernized package. These two games are well written, and they both present worlds that I would want to live in. Yakuza 7 is a beautiful and unique RPG with endless exposition dumps that are actually engaging.

In terms of high action, Hades is a fantastic game, and a perfect example of properly implementing RPG elements into a combat-focused gameplay experience. Trials of Mana is a very fun time, despite slightly tedious combat.

There are all kinds of options for how you spend your video game time. I personally cannot imagine spending my video game time playing Cyberpunk 2077. My video game time is sacred, and I want it to relieve stress, not create more.

Rating:

2/10

:shredder:

What... I mean... wait, I thought if you wrie somethig like that, you will be lynched by mob?
What
the
hell?

Actually, the best revio so far. Not without flaws of course, but it have potence, creative-wise.

Doesn't he literally own and run the oldest white supremacist site in existence? How the fuck is his reputation gonna get any worse?

Trithne

Erudite
Here it is.

https://kotaku.com/cd-projekt-is-adjusting-cyberpunk-2077s-distracting-amo-1845881919

CD Projekt Is Adjusting Cyberpunk 2077's 'Distracting' Amount Of Dildos

The first time I stepped out of my character’s apartment in Cyberpunk 2077, I expected to be greeted by a vast world of machine-powered possibility. Instead, I found a dildo. It was sitting next to a random NPC’s foot in my apartment building, near a discarded magazine and some other trash. “That’s weird,” I thought. Then I looked up and saw two additional dildos perched on a nearby bannister, positioned between two conversing NPCs who did not seem to be aware of their presence. “That, too, is weird,” I thought.

(Warning: This post contains imagery that might be considered NSFW, but with many of us working from home during the pandemic, what does NSFW even mean anymore, really?)

In my time with Cyberpunk since, I have stumbled across many, many, many more dildos. I’ve taken to documenting every single one I come across. I have screenshotted 29 dildos. They come in two main varieties: the common “studded dildo,” the lowly street pigeon of Cyberpunk 2077's vast dildo underground, and the rarer “Pilomancer 3000,” a utensil of truly formidable size and girth. You can pick them up and either turn them into crafting parts or sell them for a few bucks. They have no use beyond this. Some have been in sex shops and clubs—places where dildos don’t seem so out of place. Others have been on street corners, in restaurants, in chop shops where human beings get disassembled for parts, and of course, scattered amongst garbage, which is pretty much everywhere.

This is distracting! First off, if you create a world that in many ways resembles our own but with significantly greater dildo density, people are going to have questions. But also, I have yet to witness anybody in Cyberpunk actually use a dildo, even in a sex scene between two women. There is an unlockable dildo weapon, but it’s disconnected from the wider plethora of dildos in the game. And while something like that might fit in, say, a Saints Row game, Cyberpunk’s overall tone is much darker, even if some side-quests are humorous and over the top.

So I had to know: Why all the dildos, CD Projekt Red? Why?

“We wanted Night City to be pretty open sexually,” said senior quest designer Philipp Weber in an email to Kotaku, “where something by today’s standards might be taboo or kinky is very normal and commonplace by 2077 standards.”

But just scattering dildos everywhere is an odd way to convey that, especially without much else to directly communicate this larger cultural shift or tie it back to the conspicuous presence of ding dang dildos all over the ding dang place. Yes, sex workers play a large role in Cyberpunk’s story, and it’s not difficult to find them in various portions of Night City, but the game hiccups when it comes to linking this to believable human behavior. There is no reason to believe that sexual liberation would naturally result in people leaving dildos everywhere, especially in light of sanitary concerns and other practical matters. Are these disposable dildos? If not, who in this demonstrably impoverished world can afford to spend so much money on dildos that they ultimately just drop on the ground?

It feels, as with many other elements of Cyberpunk 2077's worldbuilding, like a half-finished thought—an idea that must be explained, rather than one that explains itself. Meanwhile, the game does little to unravel more fundamental questions about its relationship to sex, like the fact that sex work is generally much more accepted and seemingly legal in Night City than it is in our world, yet it is for some reason still intrinsically linked to crime.

Going forward, CD Projekt will not be removing Night City’s preponderance of discarded dildos. Instead, the developer will fine-tune its flock of wayward phalli.

“The second reason for the high amount of dildos in the world is because they can spawn as random loot, and we were still tweaking those settings, so especially during the early reviews, the amount of dildos in the game world was pretty high. We’re going to adjust them so that the dildos don’t appear too out of place/context and distracting and more where they should be by design,” Weber said, also noting that a recent hotfix “may” have already adjusted dildo density to an extent.

So, at the very least, the dildos probably won’t stand out quite so much anymore. They’ll still be present, though, as will the dildo melee weapon, and of course, we’ll always have our memories of the halcyon days of Cyberpunk’s dildo dystopia.

Where are these people finding all these dildos? Right outside the apartment? Am I going crazy? I've seen a handful so far, in places that make sense to me - private booths at BD bars, the red light district.

Is there a bug some people are getting that turns random items into dildos or something.

I've written dildo so many times I'm turning into Fenix

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
This only shows how consoles are a limitation on gaming evolution and only bring decline...

PS : CP77 is more a adventure shooter than a RPG game

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Again: Reviews don't matter, even if they come from the Daily Stormer. Anglin isn't qualified to judge the game just like the womyn at Cucktaku are not. These people's opinions are irrelevant.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I think part of the problem for me is that the cyberpunk genre itself is really passe - I don't think many believe today that things like self-aware AI are just around the corner, or that "cyberware" will be ubiquitous or that you'll be able to upload minds.

There is no brave lone wolfs, there is no "free secret nets" where runners could sell something and fight state or even more so corporation.

But that is the genre of cyberpunk. That's what I'm saying, it's an old-fashioned fantasy. You can call what we have today whatever you like, even "cyberpunk" if you like, but it doesn't really fit because the technology isn't there, and probably never will be. Cyberpunk was a fantasy borne of 1980s techno-optimism as computers were just coming in, and the possibilities (both nightmarish and exciting) that people thought of then.

The corporate aspect isn't special to cyberpunk, it's everywhere and in everything. Scepticism about corporations and visions of a corporate future were around before the 1980s.

Self-aware AI is vaporware, probably for the foreseeable future. Maybe some time in the distant future, but we don't yet know enough about intelligence and the mind to be able to duplicate it in a machine. We've made progress on those fronts, but we don't know nearly enough. Expert systems sure, but there the problem to watch out for is the still the human factor, not an AI that can reconfigure itself on the fly in the way that the mind can. AI is basically a cargo cult.

Same for uploading minds - naive fantasy, that understimated just how much we still don't know.

I recall the philosopher of mind Daniel Dennet saying we could probably build a self-aware AI if we, like, devoted a concerted international effort to it and poured trillions of dollars into it, almost to the exclusion of everything else. But it would be like a Pharaoh seeing something like a Sony Walkman in his dreams and commisioining it from his advisors. The possibility is there, the stuff to make it from is there in the ground, etc., but the path to it isn't clear, and there's so much ancillary infrastructure that would need to be understood and created first. (Also, nobody has that naive optimism about the posssibilities of computers nowadays, because nearly everyone in the world has the experience that they often go wrong).

No, we are pretty much in a dystopia of course, but it's a bit more "standard" and the mind-control has already been in place for years by boring means like newspapers, radio, tv, advertising, movies, academia, etc., etc.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Curious. The more you advance in the story more determinant choices do appear. But I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm glad there's some C&C, but this kind of design encourages to save scum instead of replaying the entire game with another character.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom