Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

deama

Prophet
I played through tyranny back when it was released, I thought it was alright, enjoyed it much more than pillars of eternity.

Anyone know of any good mods for tyranny?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Rumor what free games to expect during last 2 weeks of December:

17.12 – Dying Light;
18.12 – Resident Evil 7;
19.12 – The Witcher 3;
20.12 – Mass Effect Andromeda;
21.12 – Assassins Creed Origins;
22.12 – Metal Gear Solid V;
23.12 – The Evil Within 2;
24.12 – Far Cry 5;
25.12 – Fallout 4;
26.12 – Borderlands 3;
27.12 – Monster Hunter Worlds;
28.12 – Dragon Age Inquisition;
29.12 – Horizon Zero Down;
30.12 – Ghost Recon Breakpoint;
31.12 – Hitman 2.

EDIT: Turned out fake. Oh well.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane

17.12 – Dying Light;
18.12 – Resident Evil 7;
19.12 – The Witcher 3;
24.12 – Far Cry 5;
25.12 – Fallout 4;
26.12 – Borderlands 3;
31.12 – Hitman 2.

BUT BUT EPIC IS BAD !! LOOK !!! COOOSTOMERS DON'T GET SHIT !!!

seriously though i don't believe it. Epic would have to really spend top dollar. But if yes this is open war with Steam at this point they are clearly targeting most played games on steam.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

17.12 – Dying Light;
18.12 – Resident Evil 7;
19.12 – The Witcher 3;
24.12 – Far Cry 5;
25.12 – Fallout 4;
26.12 – Borderlands 3;
31.12 – Hitman 2.

seriously though i don't believe it. Epic would have to really spend top dollar. But if yes this is open war with Steam at this point they are clearly targeting most played games on steam.
Yeah, what I was interested in (DA3 and TW3) I already bought long time ago, but now it will be a good time to try out popamole stuff that I wouldn't buy. Some of these games do look interesting enough. I gave up resisting Epic already since they gave out free Rising Storm anyway. It's worth to make at least a throwaway account to check some of these games out.

Dexter

Arcane

Over half of those games aren't even on their shitty Store:
17.12 – Dying Light;
18.12 – Resident Evil 7;
25.12 – Fallout 4;
31.12 – Hitman 2.
Also retards should realize that companies don't give out shit "for free" out of the goodness of their hearts (see Facebook/Google), but that there's always an Alternative motive. Companies that are asking a fair price for a product or service are always less suspect than those pretending to be humanitarian.

Last edited:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Own all of them aside from Borderlands 3 and Fallout 4. Should I be disappointed at myself? :dealwithit:
Nice if true. I only need The Evil Within 2 though but that's more than enough.
Even if you're an extreme dirty cheap ass peasant, it goes on sale for 5 - 6 bucks quite often on retail sites.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

17.12 – Dying Light;
18.12 – Resident Evil 7;
19.12 – The Witcher 3;
24.12 – Far Cry 5;
25.12 – Fallout 4;
26.12 – Borderlands 3;
31.12 – Hitman 2.

Yeah, what I was interested in (DA3 and TW3) I already bought long time ago, but now it will be a good time to try out popamole stuff that I wouldn't buy. Some of these games do look interesting enough. I gave up resisting Epic already since they gave out free Rising Storm anyway. It's worth to make at least a throwaway account to check some of these games out.
Weak minded people are easily persuaded with free games. Joking aside, I would probably sign up for epic, but every time I remind myself that I have more then enough games in my backlog, which i want to play first. I don't need more games, even if they are free.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

17.12 – Dying Light;
18.12 – Resident Evil 7;
19.12 – The Witcher 3;
24.12 – Far Cry 5;
25.12 – Fallout 4;
26.12 – Borderlands 3;
31.12 – Hitman 2.

Interesting. I literally don't give a shit about any of these titles, and that's before we factor in EGS.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
That fake list was already busted when it said Bethesda giving away their (newer) games, especially when they're going to be acquired by Microsoft.

GrainWetski

Arcane
If they really release 15 ~AAA games for free, they should've spent half that money on making their store better for 'consumers' instead of trying to appeal to mindless consoomers. Consumer-friendly =/= consoomer-friendly.

I doubt even half of those are true. I could see Hitman 2, Dying Light and the EA/Ubisoft trash. Old and cheap/trash games. Do surprise me and throw tons of money at consoomers though, Sweeney Timm.

V_K

Arcane
I love how people continue to discuss whether the list is fake or not even though a few posts above there's a tweet from Galyonkin (Epic's "Director of Publishing Strategy") saying that it definitely is fake.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
ztOHQQl.jpg

79HDgJ2.png

This is comparison between two web sites as now. Not much difference. I can understand complaining against losing ONE unified easily piratable platform like Steam, and instead having 6 launchers. But, I don't understand complaining against free games locked to you personally.

Even people who wanna fight against piracy would love to see pirates to get legally free content.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
yeah GOG galaxy is a thing. This is what i see, i never see Steam, Epic etc running.

unknown.png
Well, when it becomes more popular, expect MS, STEAM, and Epic creating combined launcher which would allow to do stuff like Galaxy. You'd never need to install 3rd party launcher directly. It would install as DLL just as in Galaxy.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
you know, if you truly want to have them for free, you can already have them, any instant, anywhere, spyware free.

Funniest thing to me is so many will claim these games and then not use the store at all for its intended purposes. How many people have actually been won over to SPEND money in the Epic Store with free games?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
you know, if you truly want to have them for free, you can already have them, any instant, anywhere, spyware free.

Funniest thing to me is so many will claim these games and then not use the store at all for its intended purposes. How many people have actually been won over to SPEND money in the Epic Store with free games?
On the one hand, you have a point. On the other hand, it is hard to imagine that Epic would continue to sink money into the free games if they didn't get something out of it. Suits in management don't like losing money.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Another reason Epic Store annoys me is because it messes with my price notification history on gg.deals. It's not really a regular "historic low" when you're counting it with a $10 store-exclusive voucher.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Also retards should realize that companies don't give out shit "for free" out of the goodness of their hearts (see Facebook/Google), but that there's always an Alternative motive. Companies that are asking a fair price for a product or service are always less suspect than those pretending to be humanitarian.
If it's free, you should always remind yourself of the old adage "if you don't pay for it, you are the product being sold".

But hey, I got Cities: Skylines for free.

All of these free games seem to come without DLC, so you are incentivized to buy DLC on this store if you decide that. That's also a bonus they get.

Also, that list is more than likely fake, since the first game was Cities: Skylines and not Dying Light.

Here's the thing with the Epic Store if we only look at it as a service in competition with GOG and Steam - the premise of the Epic Store doesn't do anything for the consumer. Only developers/publishers benefit from that, since the whole idea is for them to get more money and not be shafted with the 30% cut Steam gets. I'd think competing with Steam would be quite easy since they don't offer anything for the consumer, but I guess not. GOG offers no DRM, which comes with quite a few advantages. Epic is basically Steam without the time and emotional investment of the people using the service, so what's the point? Free games can only get you so far before you actually have to make a profit. Offer games cheaper than on GOG and Steam (i.e. those 18% or whatever is left over from Steam's cut once you get your 12% cut), then we might talk.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

I don't think any of us really know the percentage of PC gamers who don't really give a shit which store/client they get their games from, since stores and publishers don't really release any detailed sales info. Even for those who don't really care though, you have to give them a reason to buy other stuff on Epic after they get their freebies and exclusives. Otherwise they'll return to their default or buy where a game is cheaper. It's amazing to me Epic is trying to be the big Steam competitor, spending millions to get people to try out their client, but then giving people zero reason to prefer that client.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
2020 has come and went and still no fucking shopping cart :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom