Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Death Stranding Director's Cut - Kojima's post-apocalyptic deliveryman simulator

Egosphere

Arcane
I still hope he doesn't get his hands on Silent Hill, though.

Why not? He just dipped his toe into horror genre and made a demo that ended up as one of the creepiest horror games. Silent Hill franchise is dead and has been since Silent Hill 4 so who cares?

Because he's the antithesis of silent hill story telling. He's incapable of subtlety. It's like getting Tarantino to make a twin peaks episode. It might be good .. if you're a Tarantino fan. Definitely not if you're a twin peaks fan.

It's also a massive fucking slap in the face of the original team. They got the Konami treatment whilst Kojima was still lavished with millions for his last two projects. And they didn't whine about it, either, unlike the latter.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
I know nothing about this game except that it's make by Hideo Kojima and that it's original in some ways. If I get it I kinda want to go in blind but I would like some opinions from prestigious kodexers. I am just tired of cutscene simulators a la Witcher 3, RDR2 and Mafia 3.

Is this worth my 60 smackaroons?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
I know nothing about this game except that it's make by Hideo Kojima and that it's original in some ways. If I get it I kinda want to go in blind but I would like some opinions from prestigious kodexers. I am just tired of cutscene simulators a la Witcher 3, RDR2 and Mafia 3.

It is a cutscene simulator with very specific gameplay in between.

Egosphere

Arcane

hell no. If witcher 3 is a cutscene sim, then this is an outright movie. It has about 11 hours of cutscenes in it.
And it's not like the cutscenes are all that good, either. W3's bloody baron, towerful of mice and carnal sins are all quests that are better than anything DS throws at you, imo.

Terenty

Liturgist

Depends on whether you will like the gameplay loop enough to try to connect everybody to the network, build roads and 5 star or not.

If yes, then it's easily 70+ hours of gameplay not counting cutscenes, if not, then ~40 hours with cutscenes.

a lot of mechanics really come into play when you start doing side stuff

Last edited:

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Well shit, I'm just tired of developers trying to turn games into movies. If you want to make a move just make a damn movie. No one sees the storytelling potential of gameplay these days.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Well shit, I'm just tired of developers trying to turn games into movies. If you want to make a move just make a damn movie. No one sees the storytelling potential of gameplay these days.

Kojima Productions is going to start making movies

Kojima Productions has just released its first game, Death Stranding, since it was resurrected in 2015, but it's already looking to expand into movies. In a BBC documentary about Death Stranding, Hideo Kojima was confident about the developer's ability to pivot to a different medium.

https://www.pcgamer.com/kojima-productions-is-going-to-start-making-movies/

Gamezor

Learned
Finally got sick of building zip line networm and just
beat higgs
. Ugh lots of bad exposition is now sucking my will to continue. Should I go on or just google the ending? At times kohima can be his own worst enemy.

Sentinel

Arcane
The ending is long as fuck and it's just cutscenes (literally 2 hours of cutscenes) and you'll be watching the credits some 4 times.
That said, the best moment of the game (imo) is a gameplay section right before the actual ending of the game, involving the baby.

Egosphere

Arcane
beat higgs
. Ugh lots of bad exposition is now sucking my will to continue. Should I go on or just google the ending? At times kohima can be his own worst enemy.
If I remember right, you'll have one more battle against Clifford, this time in a jungle, which is probably the best setting out of the battles against him. Then there will be one long trek, which you can breeze past if you have ziplines installed, and then there will be the ending, which will be about 90 mins of exposition. You could continue on until the Clifford battle, beat that, and then watch the rest on youtube. Although if you get that far, you might as well wrap it up yourself.

Gamezor

Learned
beat higgs
If I remember right, you'll have one more battle against Clifford, this time in a jungle, which is probably the best setting out of the battles against him. Then there will be one long trek, which you can breeze past if you have ziplines installed, and then there will be the ending, which will be about 90 mins of exposition. You could continue on until the Clifford battle, beat that, and then watch the rest on youtube. Although if you get that far, you might as well wrap it up yourself.

Ok thanks i’ll finish it. I definitely want to see the baby thing.

Gamezor

Learned
I'm just going to spoiler tag this just in case.

I beat Unger in the jungle, the trek was easy/fine since I had ziplines everywhere. The fight with the big sky whale was a pain in the ass and not very interesting. Overall the boss fights here seemed a little weak other than the fight with Higgs on the beach. Then I went to Amelie and seeing the end of the world sunset stuff was pretty cool. Then the game throws me into exposition credits mode which I have to trigger by pointlessly running up and down the beach. At that point I had enough, quit, and just looked up a written explanation of the rest of it. I am sorta sad I missed the baby part, but I can't sit through more cutscenes and pointless fucking running.

Overall, I really liked the game, particularly the zip line network building aspects and sense of progression. The shared world works really well here. It's gorgeous, it has great music, and has unique gameplay. The setting and worldbuilding are cool. It had the Kojima polish. Higgs was kind of a lame villain, and the actual dialogue and cutscenes are only OK to bad. I feel like Kojima's best dialogue might have been used up in MGS1--not that it was amazing, but it just worked. The backloading of the cutscenes post credits was good in that there weren't as many to sit through during the game itself (like freaking MGS 4) and they sort of become optional with so much at the end. It's bad in that it's totally wonky from a pacing standpoint. They should have edited all the dialogue and cut scenes way down and then spread them throughout the game, but I guess Kojima just can't help himself. If you had someone rein him in, they might rein in all the good stuff too, so I guess you just have to live with it.

I seem to mainly play non-RPGs, maybe you should throw me out.

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Was going to say ironic that this game isn't on GOG... but since Denuvo is removed then I guess it's coming real soon.

cruel

Cipher
How much patience does this game require? Asking because my patience is close to 0. Is the whole traveling / passing obstacles idea more about careful planning your path, or more like 10+ tries trying to approach a mountain and falling down 9 out of 10?

I really like atmospheric / weird games with good music, but I'm horribly scared about the boredom on this. What's the final consensus of 'boring' in this?

And just as an example, not sure if helpful - I was not able to play Zelda BotW because of how boring it was. Totally different games, I know, but maybe can help with comparison?

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
How much patience does this game require? Asking because my patience is close to 0. Is the whole traveling / passing obstacles idea more about careful planning your path, or more like 10+ tries trying to approach a mountain and falling down 9 out of 10?

I really like atmospheric / weird games with good music, but I'm horribly scared about the boredom on this. What's the final consensus of 'boring' in this?

And just as an example, not sure if helpful - I was not able to play Zelda BotW because of how boring it was. Totally different games, I know, but maybe can help with comparison?

My patience lasted like 2,5 hours (((

Gamezor

Learned

I loved the game, but it’s a tough sell if you are impatient. Make sure you buy in a way where you can refund.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom