Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Terra

Cipher

Remember when CDPR used to make their games on PC first, then port to consoles later. Remember how that resulted in a good game which then translated to sales. Simultaneous multiplatform development and releases result in nothing but a clusterfuck.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
After 20h I can say that the game's best feature is the incredible amount of clothing, Cyberpunk 2077 is a better dress-up game than the Sims 4 :positive:
I sometimes look at witcher 3 armorers and think what it would have been if these armors' stats meant something. Imagine how many pieces have never been equipped.

The Witcher 3 armors look like shit, except from the craftable ones

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
OMFG...what a complete asshole. Comparing working an extra 8 hours and getting 150% pay (along with the fact these are already well paid people) with the dystopic theme of the game is complete assholery.

Actually, wasn't Jason that compared, was a Cyberpunk 2077 dev.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I've gotten much further into the game, though, and have been completely overwhelmed by sidequests. There really is quite a bit to do in the open world, even if it most of it comes from sidequests, rather than player interaction with things. Honestly, if CDPR would just fix the idiotic AI of NPCs and Cars, and implement some sort of warrant system where police actually chase you in cars, I think the open world would be fine. Anything they add beyond that would just be bonus.
Man, not being able to get side quests by interacting with NPCs really sucks.
This is literally a "checklist"
At this point, what is the use of an open world?

You have to be in various places in the open world for people to call you and offer you quests, though. Which is kind of dumb, on its own, but probably makes about as much sense as random people in the world just offering you quests.

Side-quests in the open world have always been kind of dumb to begin with. Honestly, I kind of just prefer Cyberpunk's method where people who offer you quests are either police sergeants or gang leaders, and they basically just straight up call you and offer them once you reach a certain level of notoriety.

Renevent

Cipher
OMFG...what a complete asshole. Comparing working an extra 8 hours and getting 150% pay (along with the fact these are already well paid people) with the dystopic theme of the game is complete assholery.

Actually, wasn't Jason that compared, was a Cyberpunk 2077 dev.

Probably a pink hair that barely does anything at the studio and is there to push social justice. I work at a large company and we got our share of those...nobody knows what they actually do but they come out during meetings to tell us to support BLM and other pointless shit. And regardless of anything, they still were making good money for the extra effort. Yeah...that's super dystopian.

And Jason is certainly trying to sensationalize the whole thing, so he's still a flaming asshole.

S.H.O.D.A.N.

Learned
There's apparently some Polish sources and articles about this, maybe resident Potatoes can tell us more:

At best, it's some Sunday investor that got a harsh lesson on how value bloat works. At worst, it's a scam targeting Sunday investors.

Either way, nothing will come of it.

Zer0wing

Cipher

Kek. The management cannot even manage the general direction of the game - on rails shooter or immersive sim and team 1 doesn't know what team A does. Peak incompetence. Glassdoor reviews were up to something, who knew.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Watching playthroughs of this game being held together by chewed gum and string, there is one side quest I like but they also fucked up MAJORLY.

"Happy Together." Basically some cops try to talk sense into an old partner of theirs who apparently suffered a deep loss and has broken down/become a recluse in his apartment. You manage to talk your way in and learn about his best friend who died through natural causes but looked upon him as though he were family. Along the way he talks about how his former cop buddies outside try but don't get it, so you have a good chat with him and leave.

Your guy comes back some time later and you see the cops outside the apartment, the guy cop who normally portrayed a tough guy attitude is in tears while the woman cop is trying to console him. He's sitting in a small pool of blood and there's police tape in front of the apartment letting you know that the tenant offed himself. This is actually a fairly good little side quest that has a conclusion that doesn't pull punches and how not every story in Night City ends happily.

EXCEPT the game tells you straight up "mission failed" which means you did the whole sequence wrong. It takes away any built up emotional impact because now you know there's a correct resolution that wasn't done correctly, it wasn't just a case of a guy so down in the dumps that nobody could really reach him.

So I looked it up and there's actually a somewhat humorous end that makes it much more lighthearted if you try to follow up on the guy's clues. Turns out his best pal was actually his pet turtle and you go back to tell the cops about this and they apparently get through to him and everybody ends up fine, mission success and all.

But it would have been much more effective if the mission complete came up whether it was suicide or not. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players fuck this quest up their first go around and it's a rather bleak ending that plays into that whole "everyone has their own struggles" angle that dystopian fiction draws from. I really think telling the player there is a good ending by showing them they fail the mission if he offs himself takes away from the idea that Night City can chew you up and spit you out.

I just did that one but I had some of my UI turned off so I didn't get any mission fail, it just dissapeared and then did the Judy apartment roof top talk one. Here I was thinking, wow nice, finally I'm starting to feel the bleakness. Maybe Cyberpunk is focusing on mortality and philosophy of death rather than technological philosophy like Ghost in the Shell.. so much for that now I guess.. disappointing.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded
CDPR's stock was completely overvalued to begin with. $8 billion market cap would mean sales of ~280 million copies is priced in currently. I think GTA 5 did about 120 million. No way Cyberpunk will surpass that or come close. Cue micro transactions in 3..2..1

that's like saying Tesla's Stock is over Valued.

They just lost all the money they made in 2020 I am quiet sure a lot of investors are beyond pissed that holds way more water then reviews or people online complaining. Who the hell was the Directors behind this game?

Can't be the same as Witcher 3(devs are not directors)

Time to buy the Dip! Then again someone got that news of Sony stopping Playstation sales and they made millions on Puts.

Robber Baron

Savant
I just can't get enough of this shit

20201218230307-1.jpg

Derringer

Prophet
Maybe Cyberpunk is focusing on mortality and philosophy of death rather than technological philosophy like Ghost in the Shell.. so much for that now I guess.. disappointing.
GitS is a rather average seinen softcore Sf action property like Shirow's other work Appleseed, watch some Oshii movies like Jin-Roh if you want well-directed philosophical wank.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
CDPR's stock was completely overvalued to begin with. $8 billion market cap would mean sales of ~280 million copies is priced in currently. I think GTA 5 did about 120 million. No way Cyberpunk will surpass that or come close. Cue micro transactions in 3..2..1

They just lost all the money they made in 2020 I am quiet sure a lot of investors are beyond pissed that holds way more water then reviews or people online complaining. Who the hell was the Directors behind this game?

Time to buy the Dip! Then again someone got that news of Sony stopping Playstation sales and they made millions on Puts.

Witcher 3

Director(s)
  • Konrad Tomaszkiewicz
  • Mateusz Kanik
  • Sebastian Stępień
CP2077

Director(s) Adam Badowski

Perkel

Arcane
We all know what happened here. The analysts believed that 8 million preorders + launch day sales were worth more than enough to trash your company's reputation. Because reputation doesn't matter, and the fucking plebs will buy whatever marketing tells them anyways.

I don't understand why people make excuses for CDPR heads as if investors made them do it. CDPR heads hold controlling stake in CDPR no one can make them do anything they don't want. They clearly knew about state of base consoles version and eitherway they went ahead with it.

As for whole drama it will be gone in just 2-3 months after patching and everyone will forget it existed in first place. People completely forget about those htings time and time again. FNV was released in state that outright you couldn't play on ps4/x360 and now is considered one of the goats. Skyrim was far more buggy than 77 after initial drama everyone completely forgot, RDR2 was buggy as fuck at start, fast forward no one even remembers that. Even GTA5 when released run at times 15fps and crashed system left and right on ps3/x360 and looked like dogshit at the time with resolution dippingto like 480p with aliasing so severe you would think you play chess not gta.

Cyberpunk 2077 Online will be releasing 2021 and they already said openly there will be micro in it. They said that C77 game will not have them but online will which be separate SKU will have micro. They are clearly aping Rockstar here.

Witcher 3 unironically feels more committee-made compared to Cyberpozz.

Both games feel like they were made by fans of Witcher and Cyberpunk2020. That being said overall direction is obviously made to maximalize profits, especially with 77 with its GTA contending gameplay.

Vatnik Wumao
Maybe Cyberpunk is focusing on mortality and philosophy of death rather than technological philosophy like Ghost in the Shell.. so much for that now I guess.. disappointing.
GitS is a rather average seinen softcore Sf action property like Shirow's other work Appleseed, watch some Oshii movies like Jin-Roh if you want well-directed philosophical wank.
Don't forget Ergo Proxy.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
watch some Oshii movies like Jin-Roh if you want well-directed philosophical wank.
Already seen all the anime Oshii movies, most of them are on the cruel side. Anyway, if you can recommend other stuff like books, mangas, tv shows, movies etc.. would be much appreciated.

Ergo Proxy is great if you want to watch a confusing ugly mess and try to figure out what the fuck you just watched.
I keep a note in the folder of the anime so I can read wtf I watched whenever I rewatch. Great atmosphere though, I really wish a game would someday capture that.

kangaxx

Arbiter
Just finished this off. I've been lucky to have a "forced" week off from work whilst the Mrs is still slogging away and the little one is at nursery. So I've put about 50h into this (played on hard mode) and have poked around quite a bit... my thoughts (sorry it's a bit long, but there's a lot to say I guess.. no spoilers):

Overall I think the hate-fest is a bit OTT. It's a victim of the hype CDPR wrongly allowed to build up, which contrasted sharply with the abysmal launch state and the appallingly bad gameplay for the first few levels (which is obviously the first thing gaymers will experience).

The game has significant problems but I think on balance it's enjoyable if you take it for what it is: a nice-looking looter shooter in a generally well-crafted cyberpunk setting, with an 'interesting enough' story and some decent characters and side content.

It's definitely pretty broken (a bit less so after the hot fix) and it should not have seen the light of day in its current state. The core shooter gameplay starts off really badly, and you get the unerring feeling that you'll be fighting bullet sponges all game. In reality it's a failure of balance whereby you're horrendously weak early game and completely over-levelled about 40-50% of the way through.

CDPR were right to dial back the RPG talk towards launch because this is super shallow as far as RPG elements go (it's definitely more of a shooter). The character improvement % buffs per level (e.g. crit chance, headshot damage multiplier) do impact the game, but they're uninspired and feel like a way of gating the fun/content rather than being an engaging or interesting system. C&C is there, but it's weak and you can just use a single save near the PONR to get all of the main endings quickly. Lack of gang reputation system is a major flaw because it means the core gameplay loop clashes with the story and side missions more than once.

IMO people with no interest in story will get much less out of this game, but gameplay can be fun when you're playing the cliched stealth silenced pistol build. Worth playing through once they've fixed it.... which is what people on here were predicting from memory.

Long list below anyway in case you can be arsed to read it.

Pros:
  • Graphics are really good on a top end PC. They've obviously spent a lot of time putting the city and surroundings together, and I think they did a good job. Colour palette can be a bit 'pastel' which takes away from the dark atmosphere, but it looks better at night as you'd expect. I imagine playing this on PS4 is a complete waste of time.
  • Some of the characters other than V are quite good and actually seem human. I found myself liking some of them. Keanu Reeves kind of sucks.
  • I don't like a scaling avalanche of loot, but it was less obtrusive than I thought it would be. The reason is that you can level up a few times and put points into a one-shot pistol stealth build, and after that forget about changing weapons every 5 mins. You will likely change armour a lot though.
  • Some genuinely interesting quest lines. Some of the missions are really well executed and there are some fun sequences that make you feel immersed (e.g. the parade bit, or the nomad robbery with a train).
  • Music is great on the whole (obviously subjective). Not all of it appeals to me genre-wise, but the electronic stuff I'd listen to anyway added to the atmosphere very well IMO.
  • Story kept me interested without being world-beating.
Cons:
  • Male V voice actor sounds like a snide, smarmy cunt of a schoolboy trying to play gangster and coming off like a complete bender. It's actually cringe-inducing in parts. I hope his voice can be modded out in future.
  • RPG elements are weak. They do impact the game, but in a boring and mechanical way that gates your ability to have fun rather than enhance it. C&C is pretty weak too. If you have a couple of saves in the right places you can get all the endings in very quick succession.
  • They really should have built some kind of freeform gang affiliation or reputation system that was properly integrated with the story/outcomes. As it is, the only gameplay difference between gangs is their being different flavoured mooks to kill en masse in the streets (different weapons and appearance basically). There are points where the story clashes horribly with the system they currently have in place, e.g. I just gunned down 10 of your men unprovoked, right outside the building, and you haven't so much as mentioned it. I think it's one of the biggest flaws in the game tbh.
  • Bugs are out of this world. It's better since the hotfix, but you still see some pretty wild stuff. I've seen floating cigarettes and guns in dialogue scenes, police spawning at the end of dead-end alleys, dumping a corpse on the floor not working at all and even causing explosions of blood, cars blowing up for no reason, NPCs moonwalking, NPCs t-posing or floating, V t-posing through the roof of the car whilst driving, V dying randomly when climbing over awkwardly placed rubbish bags or boxes on the floor, cars and NPC spawning right in front of me... the list goes on and on really.
  • Early levels felt atrocious until the one-shot build came online. I dreaded the idea of fighting bullet sponges for the whole game.
  • No "stealing" system means you can loot an entire factory full of weapons in front of a gang of arms dealers and they don't give a fuck. This is broken and ruins immersion.
  • Sex scenes urgently need a skip key. An absolute cringe-fest.
  • You spend a hell of a lot of time in scripted 1st person dialogue cutscenes, following NPCs etc. Much too long really. The core gameplay isn't bad once you get used to it and gain a few levels, but it feels like they're trying to keep you away from that half the time. Some of the story missions are an hour or two long end-to-end.
  • Combat AI is bad, although I've seen other people on here saying otherwise. I didn't see the AI do anything special, and did see it do plenty of idiotic things.
  • Driving AI is non-existent. This was implemented better by Rockstar in the 90s, so this counts as a massive failure by CDPR.
  • Scaling loot leads to situations where Militech steel boots can have a worse armour rating than red knee-highs you rob off a prossy. Retarded.
  • The city can feel sparse/copy pasted content with crime stopping or gang massacres. I ended up thinking of the city as a number of fleshed out 'islands' where mission content is stationed, with relative deserts of interactive content (albeit good-looking) in between.
  • Life path thing is fairly obviously cut content. It has such a minimal impact on the game, but they talked it up quite a bit. Shame really.
  • Colours can be a bit pastel-y and arguably not entirely in keeping with the theme.
  • General unfinished feeling.
If you made it all the way down to the end I'll buy you beer.

Derringer

Prophet
watch some Oshii movies like Jin-Roh if you want well-directed philosophical wank.
Already seen all the anime Oshii movies, most of them are on the cruel side. Anyway, if you can recommend other stuff like books, mangas, tv shows, movies etc.. would be much appreciated.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes? I mean most anime writing is pretty average and I imagine you've already read Punpun so I can't think of too much. Kengo Hanazawa is a good writer.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Because reputation doesn't matter, and the fucking plebs will buy whatever marketing tells them anyways.
Goodwill is an intangible asset. But Perkel is right, it will all be forgotten as soon as the game is patched.

Actually, I don't even know what the problems with the last gen version are. FPS drops? Crashes? What got all them knickers in a bunch?
Frames per second drop below 25 during shootouts and fast driving through the streets. Blue screens of death on PS4. That's in addition to all the animation and pop-in problems that exist on all platforms.

Koolz

Learned
Possibly Retarded

Witcher 3

Director(s)
  • Konrad Tomaszkiewicz
  • Mateusz Kanik
  • Sebastian Stępień
CP2077

Director(s) Adam Badowski

Alright there is something seriously wrong here some where something went really wrong in this games Development.

Zer0wing

Cipher
ven GTA5 when released run at times 15fps and crashed system left and right on ps3/x360 and looked like dogshit at the time with resolution dippingto like 480p with aliasing so severe you would think you play chess not gta.
GTA5 does not use any form of image scaling and runs at 1280x720p on both of these 7th gen machines. That is the equivalent of 1080p on PS4/XB1. CP2077 runs below that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom