Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Nox Archaist - 8-bit RPG for Apple II, Mac, and PC - now with Lord of Storms expansion

rikkles

Arcane
Developer
No, just using the packed in emulatior, but I'm running it on Win 7.
The lead dev (Mark Lemmert) can’t respond on this thread right now because he has “insufficient privileges to post”. Can an admin fix that? He’s sent in a request via the contact form but has yet to get a response.

He’d also like to know what the corruption shows up as: crash to black screen with hex numbers (i.e. monitor), hang, wonky stuff on screen, characters or inventory messed up, etc...

Thank you!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The lead dev (Mark Lemmert) can’t respond on this thread right now because he has “insufficient privileges to post”. Can an admin fix that? He’s sent in a request via the contact form but has yet to get a response.

Tell him to try again.

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
He’d also like to know what the corruption shows up as: crash to black screen with hex numbers (i.e. monitor), hang, wonky stuff on screen, characters or inventory messed up, etc...

Thank you!

Character tile becomes corrupt and looks like an environment tile after the battle ends, any input makes it drop to some kind of what I assume is a debugging screen. The fight took forward and ended with me killing all the skeletons he summoned.

But don't just take my word for it.

EDIT: Save slot 2 was just a backup, I haven't lost any progress except that battle.

6502 Workshop

6502 Workshop
Developer
Character tile becomes corrupt and looks like an environment tile after the battle ends, any input makes it drop to some kind of what I assume is a debugging screen. The fight took forward and ended with me killing all the skeletons he summoned.

But don't just take my word for it.

EDIT: Save slot 2 was just a backup, I haven't lost any progress except that battle.

I am sorry that you experienced this bug! Thank you for your report the video. I am very glad that you did not loose much progress.

This battle has been tested many times so some rare set of conditions occurred to cause this problem which we have not yet seen. I am sorry you had to be the one to experience it rather than one of our testers.

If you fight that battle again and you are up for providing additional feedback, it would be very useful to know if the problem happens again or if the battle works okay.

This is actually the first report of a crash bug we've received since release, so there is a good chance the rest of your gameplay will go very smoothly.

-Mark

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
What a happy coincidence. Congratulations 6502 Workshop ! I wishlisted on GOG, and will likely be buying your game in the not too-distant future.
:excellent:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.6502workshop.com/2020/12/nox-archaist-interviews.html

Nox Archaist Interviews

Recently several podcasts have interviewed lead developer Mark Lemmert to talk about the challenges of development and the recent release of Nox Archaist.

There is some overlap between the interviews and there is also some different material covered in each. A few highlights are noted below.

SPAM SPAM SPAM HUMBUG
  • Early stage of Nox Archaist project. How early goals were massively widened in scope to the game it became.
GAME WISDOM
  • Near disaster! How fears of a release bug almost resulted in an emergency software patch on release day
  • Q&A with live stream audience
THE LOST SECTORS
  • Technical explanation of how 5-bit Pulse Width Modulation is able to produce clear human voice sound on the stock Apple II speaker.
  • Why Mobius and Windwalker developer Greg Malone allegedly owes a cheeseburger to former Origin Systems programmer Dr. Cat
Click here to order Nox Archaist as either a Digital Download or a Boxed Set!

newtmonkey

Arcane
Received my boxed copy [edit: standard boxed copy] today—surprisingly fast shipping all the way here to the Goblin Lair! Looks great, very high quality box and manual. While I would have preferred a cloth map ala Ultima, the paper map is decent, too. I won't have time to devote to this game this year, but plan on digging into it in earnest first thing next year.

Last edited:

6502 Workshop

6502 Workshop
Developer
Received my boxed copy today—surprisingly fast shipping all the way here to the Kobold Caves! Looks great, very high quality box and manual. While I would have preferred a cloth map ala Ultima, the paper map is decent, too. I won't have time to devote to this game this year, but plan on digging into it in earnest first thing next year.

Thanks for your support, hope you enjoy Nox Archaist!

6502 Workshop

6502 Workshop
Developer
Hey guys, just a quick update on Nox Archaist availability.

Nox Archaist is available in 3 packages:

• Digital Edition

• Regular Box Set
(manual with Denis Loubet full color cover art, full color paper map)

• Collector's Box Set
(manual with Denis Loubet full cover art, full color cloth map, wax sealed writ from the queen, coin of the realm, and more...)

Both boxes also include the Digital Edition available for immediate download.

The 1st run of the boxed sets sold out, and are now available as a preorder for the 2nd run, expected to ship in February.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Observations so far: Everyone is level 5, trying to do the cave near the pirates. I feel underleveled.

Hybridization seems like a horrible idea, I wanted to split one tank off to do some magic, but the level intervals become so far between and magic is tiered to int so she quickly fell behind the actual mages and low level spells don't damage higher level targets. I'll probably end up replacing her for another archer or mage.

Melee falls by the wayside very quickly, I'm not that far into the game, but my tanks are already next to useless, as the game throws more and more ranged and casters at you it quickly becomes a game of "first round everyone down" because they will almost always target your mages and nuke them into oblivion on the first turn, I'm getting some serious Augury flashbacks here. If enemy melee's live long enough to engage, then sure, slug it out, but so far they get cut down by my rouge and archer more often than not, provided I haven't already backed out for losing both of my mages. Furthermore, you don't want to engage any enemy rogue class in melee because they will almost always crit you, killing your characters instantly, it's like dealing with ninjas.

6502 Workshop

6502 Workshop
Developer
Observations so far: Everyone is level 5, trying to do the cave near the pirates. I feel underleveled.

Hybridization seems like a horrible idea, I wanted to split one tank off to do some magic, but the level intervals become so far between and magic is tiered to int so she quickly fell behind the actual mages and low level spells don't damage higher level targets. I'll probably end up replacing her for another archer or mage.

Melee falls by the wayside very quickly, I'm not that far into the game, but my tanks are already next to useless, as the game throws more and more ranged and casters at you it quickly becomes a game of "first round everyone down" because they will almost always target your mages and nuke them into oblivion on the first turn, I'm getting some serious Augury flashbacks here. If enemy melee's live long enough to engage, then sure, slug it out, but so far they get cut down by my rouge and archer more often than not, provided I haven't already backed out for losing both of my mages. Furthermore, you don't want to engage any enemy rogue class in melee because they will almost always crit you, killing your characters instantly, it's like dealing with ninjas.

Sounds like you're finding an effective strategy!

There are many, many ways to build an effective party. Here are few "food for thought" tips:

*One way that tanks can be effective is for the party mage to cast "engage enemy" (once or even twice). If the mobs don't have tanks or you kill them quickly, you can use this tactic to rush their mages and archers.

*The dodge saving throw is rolled before the critical hit roll. One or two party members with high dodge (and readied equipment weight less than 9), can be effective going toe-to-toe with pirates and other mobs with critical hit.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Bought this on christmas and have been playing it since, I like it quite a bit so far, feels like combination of Ultimas, early Might & Magic and other games of that era. I would've personally tied chance to hit into the melee/ranged skill instead of dexterity, now you have to choose between hitting things or wearing heavy armor and using weapons.

6502 Workshop

6502 Workshop
Developer
Bought this on christmas and have been playing it since, I like it quite a bit so far, feels like combination of Ultimas, early Might & Magic and other games of that era. I would've personally tied chance to hit into the melee/ranged skill instead of dexterity, now you have to choose between hitting things or wearing heavy armor and using weapons.

Thanks for your support! Glad to hear you are enjoying the game.

It's only half the equation you mentioned, but there should be indirect alignment between ranged weapons and the probability to hit, because ranged weapons are partially gated by DEX.

Another mechanic that is probably too far under the hood to be obvious is there is a probability-to-hit modifier for the level differential. So if your character is higher level than the mob they are attacking, they will get a probability-to-hit bonus.

All this said, if I could do it over again I'd probably shift the probability-to-hit baseline up a few notches (with other adjustments to compensate in the overall balance).

Luzur

Good Sir
didnt i post about this game somewhere else?

also:

fabe2ab76261bcb90291d0d1004cb8fa_original.png

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
I not only broke down to buy the boxed set (okay, the cheaper one... I know), I also broke down and started playing the game before the box would arrive. 8-10 days in, I am really liking it. This is not some retro-pixel-aesthetic garbage to rake in nostalgia dollars, but an honest and successful effort to create a complex mid-1980s Ultima-like. Impressive, and a lot of fun! Here are my detailed impressions (written for a tabletop audience). Yo ho hum! :incline:

6502 Workshop

6502 Workshop
Developer
I not only broke down to buy the boxed set (okay, the cheaper one... I know), I also broke down and started playing the game before the box would arrive. 8-10 days in, I am really liking it. This is not some retro-pixel-aesthetic garbage to rake in nostalgia dollars, but an honest and successful effort to create a complex mid-1980s Ultima-like. Impressive, and a lot of fun! Here are my detailed impressions (written for a tabletop audience). Yo ho hum! :incline:

Thanks for your support!

I really appreciate your taking the time to write-up this review!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Another cool looking game on my checklist.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom