Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

World of Darkness Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines 2 from Hardsuit Labs

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I agree with your overall sentiment but at the same time I think I've finally nailed down what defines the Rogueyism. It's these oddly specific, out-of-context comparisons that elevate peripheral points to the status of central arguments.

Like, I in many cases prefer hub-based games because they free up developer resources and mean you don't have to take the open world into account which unloads a WHOOOOOLE lot of design tension. But... is that really the reason why people like Bloodlines and dislike The Outer Worlds? In fact, is it even *a* reason? Or does that have much more to do with all the stuff Bloodlines does brilliantly despite its flaws while The Outer Worlds doesn't do really much of anything that well?

It's like... if a Roxorism is identifying all the flaws and qualities of something and then letting whether he likes that thing govern whether flaws should be blown out of proportion and qualities understated - or vice versa - a Rogueyism is using hyperspecific comparisons to argue something regardless of whether these hyperspecific examples are all that relevant in the broader scope of why something is true (or not).

TOW is what immediately came to mind, but overall I believe the fixation on having constant dopamine hits in games (as mentioned here in TOW's case) is a trade-off of getting short-term highs for long-term malaise, resulting in a less-satisfactory experience overall.

Mintbarbecue

Novice
Will end up the same as Cyberbug 77 released as Early access (which is disservice to real Early access games that devs actually work on) more like paid Beta version selling millions.
Which will also set an even more agressive trend in the AAA game industry, towards releasing half finished games as legal scams. Kind of reminds me of Teleshopping network.

Eli_Havelock

Learned
Will end up the same as Cyberbug 77 released as Early access (which is disservice to real Early access games that devs actually work on) more like paid Beta version selling millions.
Which will also set an even more agressive trend in the AAA game industry, towards releasing half finished games as legal scams. Kind of reminds me of Teleshopping network.

Seems like a trend, as if there might be a lesson to be learned about trying to port the new hotness onto 7 year-old Game Rigs 4 Retards. If it weren't for that CDPR could have put more Polish onto the PC version.

It seems that publishers have found that releasing a half-assed game and then half-assedly committing to finishing it to a state just barely below "acceptable" is more profitable than outright cancellation so I can't imagine this won't get released at all. Hopefully the extra dev time for them to properly woke-ify the game will also be used to make the gameplay less shit than it's looked in most of the pre-release footage.

Rieser

Scholar
I bet Paradox is now regretting not hiring Obsidian for this game when they had the chance.

Hindsight is 20/20. Who could've possibly thought that Hardsuit Labs of all people, developers of esteemed titles such as Blackwater, Blacklight and Daylight (just look at that fucking creativity, right there) could ever come up short?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Hindsight is 20/20. Who could've possibly thought that Hardsuit Labs of all people, developers of esteemed titles such as Blackwater, Blacklight and Daylight (just look at that fucking creativity, right there) could ever come up short?

Paradox saw "Brian Mitsoda" and got stars in their eyes.

This game will be better than Cyberpunk 2077.
And both of them are better than Death Stranding
Consoletards despise Death Stranding, but the PC master race loves it.

Just sayin'

hk74KJF.jpg

Caim

Arcane
Reminder that Death Stranding is a literal walking simulator.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom