Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Glenda Glenn

Learned
Bladerunner was being retroactively called part of the cyberpunk genre 20 odd years ago when I was writing long essays on the subject at university.
"Retroactively" is the keyword here. The Internet unfortunately unlocked the door to all sorts of disturbing historical revisionism, even in popular culture. As someone who watched that movie in theaters back in the 80's and was a fan for years, it really frustrates me arguing about what it was or wasn't with people who most likely weren't even born back then. The word cyberpunk, no matter when it was first coined, had never been used in popular culture before the 90's, and nobody ever described these movies as "cyberpunk" back in the 80's, nobody had even heard of that word in those days, possibly other than the readers of some obscure scifi novel no one else cared about. Blade Runner's influence on today's cyberpunk genre is pretty obvious, but it's entirely stylistic and superficial. In terms of the story, it has nothing to with "cyberpunk".

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Digital Foundry is diligently shilling us RTX. After the Hardware Unboxed debacle where an Nvidia rep wrote an email saying they will cut the channel off from sending reference cards because Hardware Unboxed is not shilling RTX hard enough, videos like this take on a new meaning:

Last edited:

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
"Retroactively" is the keyword here. The Internet unfortunately unlocked the door to all sorts of disturbing historical revisionism, even in popular culture. As someone who watched that movie in theaters back in the 80's and was a fan for years, it really frustrates me arguing about what it was or wasn't with people who most likely weren't even born back then. The word cyberpunk, no matter when it was first coined, had never been used in popular culture before the 90's, and nobody ever described these movies as "cyberpunk" back in the 80's, nobody had even heard of that word in those days, possibly other than the readers of some obscure scifi novel no one else cared about. Blade Runner's influence on today's cyberpunk genre is pretty obvious, but it's entirely stylistic and superficial. In terms of the story, it has nothing to with "cyberpunk".

All genre labels are applied retroactively because they have to exist first and then be named. Do agree with you that the idea of 'cyberpunk' wasn't in general use for a fair while after key moments in the genre's evolution. If I'd critique one thing in particular about your argument here it's that you're trying to turn cyberpunk into its name defining the genre whereas the whole point of cyberpunk was a backlash against the big space operas of the seventies and earlier, all empires and galaxies far far away - Asimov and Heinlein as much as Lucas, to refocus on the stories of individuals living within systems (rather than overthrowing them). The technology part isn't defined by needing the prefix 'cyber' but in examining how technology would/could be used by the individual - the transhumanism aspects over building a death star just to progress the story.

wyes gull

Savant
There's a mission in this that's a guy literally hiding behind 7 proxies. Considering I can't even hack the first one because the minigame doesn't give me a target code and goes "Succeeded" and yet the mission log keeps insisting that I have to hack it (even though I technically did), I'd say hiding behind a single proxy works, let alone 7.

MYTH CONFIRMED

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

All genre labels are applied retroactively because they have to exist first and then be named. Do agree with you that the idea of 'cyberpunk' wasn't in general use for a fair while after key moments in the genre's evolution. If I'd critique one thing in particular about your argument here it's that you're trying to turn cyberpunk into its name defining the genre whereas the whole point of cyberpunk was a backlash against the big space operas of the seventies and earlier, all empires and galaxies far far away - Asimov and Heinlein as much as Lucas, to refocus on the stories of individuals living within systems (rather than overthrowing them). The technology part isn't defined by needing the prefix 'cyber' but in examining how technology would/could be used by the individual - the transhumanism aspects over building a death star just to progress the story.
Exactly.

No one fucking cares what was or was not described as something in your childhood. "Cyberpunk" may just as well be used as a synonim for "futuristic dystopia", as long as the meaning is correctly transferred in communication it makes no difference what term you used. If anyone is anal enough to argue about definitions, that's their problem. Meanings evolve because language is not static, because the people who use it are not static.

You watched Blade Runner in theathers in the 80s? Congratulations! But I'm the evil mr. Millenial who is coming to rewrite history and take away your golden experiences, muahahah! Retarded hipster.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Digital Foundry is diligently shilling us RTX. After the Hardware Unboxed debacle where an Nvidia rep wrote an email saying they will cut the channel off from sending reference cards because Hardware Unboxed is not shilling RTX hard enough, videos like these take on a new meaning:
Did not put the the appropriate [sponsored] tag on this vid. Hmmm...

Last edited:

MasPingon

Arcane
Przechwytywaniesasa.png

I'm sorry I criticised your favourite game, didn't know you got mental problems(I only suspected)

Generic-Giant-Spider

The game on console vs. PC looks so drastically different I don't understand if given the option why you'd ever buy this for anything but your PC.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Bugs aside, how the game actually is? Especially story-wise?
A waste of potential, there is interesting stuff, hacking is pretty useful and powerful once you spec for it as it is very fun to just tell a bunch of enemies to die , some guns are really fun to use like the smart shotgun and the tech weapons that penetrate walls, some cyberware are fun to use, especially the ones with improved jumping, the missions have different approaches for you to complete them. The story is decent and I had fun with it. The city is really beautiful in high resolution and it is really impressive to walk around seeing the sights.

However, for each thing the game does good, it also half asses it hard. Hacking is mostly restricted to Watch Dogs legion type of hacking with very little complexity, most shit that requires you to jack in only reward you with money so if you expected nice Matrix gameplay, that only happens on scripted missions. The combat balance is completely broken with you trivializing the opposition by level 10, so all those cool guns, you will grow tired very quickly of use them. The itemization is garbage with legendary weapons becoming obsolete absurdly quickly unless you spend all your money upgrading them when it is easier to just grab a gun with more stats, it is the shiet MMO itemization we all hate. You have cyberware that allow you to jump around and Parkour alot but there are vey few missions that actually invest alot on verticality, it is fun to jump around and climb stuff but it was yet another lie from CDPR that they were investing on more verticality. The missions have different approaches but most side missions are incredibly short (they have the best level design by far but are over way too quick) and most main missions are full of popamole and railroaded moments that realy annoy me.

The main story is decent but the story wasnt compatible with an open world game, you start as a mercenary and I really liked the story up that point, but after a certain point, you lose agency and it is all lets Keanu Reeves destroy the corpos and be an anarchist terrorist for ideals or shite, the agency you have is to do what he says or not, it is all framed by him and I felt, so far, that I'm a secondary character on Keanu Reeves show. I mean, it isnt that Johnny Silverhand isnt well written, he is an interesting character (him being well written is the only reason I tolerate this bs) but how is "you are going to die on a few weeks if you dont help him" compatible with walking around doing merc work? I also feel zero emphaty towards my character, his little faggit voice when he is fighting with Silverhand makes me wish I were playing him instead of V.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Bugs aside, how the game actually is? Especially story-wise?
A waste of potential, there is interesting stuff, hacking is pretty useful and powerful once you spec for it as it is very fun to just tell a bunch of enemies to die , some guns are really fun to use like the smart shotgun and the tech weapons that penetrate walls, some cyberware are fun to use, especially the ones with improved jumping, the missions have different approaches for you to complete them. The story is decent and I had fun with it. The city is really beautiful in high resolution and it is really impressive to walk around seeing the sights.

However, for each thing the game does good, it also half asses it hard. Hacking is mostly restricted to Watch Dogs legion type of hacking with very little complexity, most shit that requires you to jack in only reward you with money so if you expected nice Matrix gameplay, that only happens on scripted missions. The combat balance is completely broken with you trivializing the opposition by level 10, so all those cool guns, you will grow tired very quickly of use them. The itemization is garbage with legendary weapons becoming obsolete absurdly quickly unless you spend all your money upgrading them when it is easier to just grab a gun with more stats, it is the shiet MMO itemization we all hate. You have cyberware that allow you to jump around and Parkour alot but there are vey few missions that actually invest alot on verticality, it is fun to jump around and climb stuff but it was yet another lie from CDPR that they were investing on more verticality. The missions have different approaches but most side missions are incredibly short (they have the best level design by far but are over way too quick) and most main missions are full of popamole and railroaded moments that realy annoy me.

The main story is decent but the story wasnt compatible with an open world game, you start as a mercenary and I really liked the story up that point, but after a certain point, you lose agency and it is all lets Keanu Reeves destroy the corpos and be an anarchist terrorist for ideals or shite, the agency you have is to do what he says or not, it is all framed by him and I felt, so far, that I'm a secondary character on Keanu Reeves show. I mean, it isnt that Johnny Silverhand isnt well written, he is an interesting character (him being well written is the only reason I tolerate this bs) but how is "you are going to die on a few weeks if you dont help him" compatible with walking around doing merc work? I also feel zero emphaty towards my character, his little faggit voice when he is fighting with Silverhand makes me wish I were playing him instead of V.

My head canon is that after Act I, you are Silverhand and that V is just a little bitch who thinks they have choices.

Reinhardt

Arcane
I see a lot of normie/casual discussion on all of this GTA stuff ie. playing mini games like arcade machines, buying food/drinks from all the vendors rather than just a few scattered around city, RDR 2 style dialogue with rando NPCs etc

Would any of this stuff actually improve the game?
Yes. Right now city is shiny but dead. It's just huge place where you run from mission to mission and kill shit. Either make it compact quest hub or proper city.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
It's a good interactive movie and outpost clearing shooter but kinda meh as an RPG

story had some nice high points and the I got ending left me feeling a little bit empty but it was really well presented

Lord of Riva

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Just ran into a unique dialog choice because my stat in something was so low, and I always like seeing that kinda thing.

Could you provide any details? I will sadly not encounter anything like this I am level 47 which shows a that there are sadly so many attribute points around that allocation is not really an issue

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
It's a good interactive movie and outpost clearing shooter but kinda meh as an RPG

story had some nice high points and the I got ending left me feeling a little bit empty but it was really well presented

I see the drugs wore off. :positive:

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-...ass-action-lawsuit-against-CD-Projekt-SA.html
CD PROJEKT SA CLASS ACTION ALERT: Wolf Haldenstein Adler Freeman & Herz LLP announces that it is investigating a potential securities class action lawsuit against CD Projekt SA
December 18, 2020 23:30 ET | Source: Wolf Haldenstein Adler Freeman & Herz LLP

NEW YORK, Dec. 18, 2020 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Wolf Haldenstein Adler Freeman & Herz LLP announces an investigation of potential securities claims on behalf of shareholders of CD Projekt S.A. (OTC: OTGLY, OTGLF) (the “Company”) resulting from allegations that CD Projekt may have issued materially misleading information to their shareholders and investing public.

All investors who purchased the American Depositary Receipts (“ADR’s”) of CD Projekt SA and incurred losses are urged to contact the firm immediately at classmember@whafh.com or (800) 575-0735 or (212) 545-4774.

If you have incurred losses in the ADR’s of CD Projekt SA, please contact Wolf Haldenstein to learn more about your rights as an investor in CD Projekt SA.

On December 18, 2020, Market Insider reported that “Sony announced on Friday that it was pulling [Cyberpunk 2077] from its PlayStation Store and offering full refunds to players following a wave of complaints about the long-awaited title.” The Market Insider report also quoted the Company’s co-CEO stating during an analyst call that “[a]fter three delays, we were too focused on releasing the game,” and “[w]e ignored signals about the need for additional time to refine the game on the base last-gen consoles.”

On this news, the Company’s share price fell $3.49 per ADR, or 15%, to close at $18.50 per ADR on December 18, 2020.

Wolf Haldenstein has extensive experience in the prosecution of securities class actions and derivative litigation in state and federal trial and appellate courts across the country. The firm has attorneys in various practice areas; and offices in New York, Chicago and San Diego. The reputation and expertise of this firm in shareholder and other class litigation has been repeatedly recognized by the courts, which have appointed it to major positions in complex securities multi-district and consolidated litigation.

If you wish to discuss this action or have any questions regarding your rights and interests in this ongoing situation, please immediately contact Wolf Haldenstein by telephone at (800) 575-0735 or via e-mail at classmember@whafh.com.

Wolf Haldenstein Adler Freeman & Herz LLP
Kevin Cooper, Esq.
Gregory Stone, Director of Case and Financial Analysis
Email: gstone@whafh.com, kcooper@whafh.com or classmember@whafh.com
Tel: (800) 575-0735 or (212) 545-4774

This press release may be considered Attorney Advertising in some jurisdictions under the applicable law and ethical rules.

Edit: this also just showed up on the CDPR forums: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/save-files-are-corrupted.11052596/page-5
KHfi9eb.png

FUCKING JOOS AT IT AGAIN. WANT TO SWINDLE THE POLISH PEOPLE.

hivemind

Cipher
Patron
Pretty Princess
Which ending did you go for, hivemind?
"Press F to surrender to Arasaka."

Guess I got duped lmao. I'm just a sucker for the corporate elite super soldier aesthetic in cyberpunk genres and I guess I created this idea of a happily ever after in my head where the best corpo doctors heal me and I spend the rest of my eternal life vibing with Goro and hanging around the rich and the powerful of the world. I mean, I guess I kinda do, just not in a way that is actually desirable :(

I felt very sad with the ending as the like final lack of agency set down upon me and dispelled the power fantasy the game was lowkey building up with the gameplay, but the test sequence was imo one of the best interactive minimovies presented in games. Felt like a horror flick but a lot more melancholic I guess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom