Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragonlance Lawsuit dropped without prejudice, DL authors excited say announcement coming

Gyor

Savant
Dragonlance Lawsuit dropped without prejudice, DL authors excited say announcement coming within the next few weeks. Pretty sure given the backlash and PR disaster and that WotC was guilty as fuck, WotC backed down. That means there are new Dragonlance novels coming. Maybe a Dragonlance Campaign Setting Book too.

Last edited:

Bara

Arcane
You can edit posts after submitting though. Should be a edit button to the right of your forum avatar at the top of the post.

Still skeptical of new dragonlance stuff yet but we'll see.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
What's the background on this? I'm too lazy to read up on it, can someone give a short summary?

Bara

Arcane
What's the background on this? I'm too lazy to read up on it, can someone give a short summary?

Hickman and Weiss had a deal for new dragonlance books. They had them done but Wotc refused to authorize and fallow through their commitments no matter the changes the authors made on their request. Lawsuit suggested they were worried they'd offend people as Dragonlance has stronger connections to alignment then some settings (other than planescape) and has "problematic" material like Gully Dwarfs apparently.

Cue the people online coming out of the woodwork to say this is a good thing and Dragonlance is offensive and fans of the series defending it against that nonsense.

Now it seems lawsuit is dropped without prejudice so they could re-do the lawsuit if they need to but they may have reconciled with wotc and we'll get the new dragonlance novels or ttrpg books.

Last comment by Weiss is "exciting news in the coming weeks" or some such.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
"problematic" material like Gully Dwarfs
Googled it.

eef1e510ca50bea5344eb7594a28de39.png

Clicked on link.

a11263c10c1c68c5211c45ba98d15d10.png

The fuck is wrong with these people? Ok, explain why it's "problematic" in their "opinion".

Gyor

Savant
You can edit posts after submitting though. Should be a edit button to the right of your forum avatar at the top of the post.

Still skeptical of new dragonlance stuff yet but we'll see.

I changed body of the post, but I couldn't see anyway to change title.

Gyor

Savant

Hickman and Weiss had a deal for new dragonlance books. They had them done but Wotc refused to authorize and fallow through their commitments no matter the changes the authors made on their request. Lawsuit suggested they were worried they'd offend people as Dragonlance has stronger connections to alignment then some settings (other than planescape) and has "problematic" material like Gully Dwarfs apparently.

Cue the people online coming out of the woodwork to say this is a good thing and Dragonlance is offensive and fans of the series defending it against that nonsense.

Now it seems lawsuit is dropped without prejudice so they could re-do the lawsuit if they need to but they may have reconciled with wotc and we'll get the new dragonlance novels or ttrpg books.

Last comment by Weiss is "exciting news in the coming weeks" or some such.

Well we know a couple of DL novels have already been written, so that's a safe bet, and if they do the novels, they will eventually do a 5e campaign setting book to go with it.

lightbane

Arcane
Googled it.
Gully Dwarves are the retarded inbred cousins of regular dwarves (literally!), who are literal retards too dumb to live for all purposes. Everyone considers them embarrassing and they're used for cheap laughs.
Meanwhile, kenders are halflings sociopaths who steal from everyone and get mad when people call them out. Worse, they're considered cute and child-like creatures to be protected in the main novels (in the spin-offs, many dead kender jokes are made).

See this: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Kender

1200px-Kender_race_description_annotated.png

I hoped the lawsuit went through and killed Wizards of the Coast already so that they stop raping DnD.

Bara

Arcane
I had never even heard of Gully Dwarves before reading this thread. But I'm sure they play a major role in the Dragonlance canon.

They kinda did if only to show Raistlin sympathetic side. Here's some guy defending the existance of the gully dwarfs.

I would argue that, at least so far as the original novels, the Gully Dwarves existed to make a point-- specifically, everybody looks down on them. They get treated like burdens and living trash... except by Raistlin. The resident asshole of the group, who at first glance seems to be on an edgy quest for power-- the unexpected tolerance and empathy Raistlin shows them really humanizes his character. He sees how other people treat them, it resonates with what he went through before learning magic, and those interactions reveal that beneath his demeanor Raistlin is strikingly human and even a little vulnerable at his core.

You're definitely meant to feel like "the way they get treated really isn't fair". Because that's the whole point-- Raistlin, of all characters, feels that exact same way in a world that doesn't really tolerate these smelly, dim-witted creatures. And through that, you start to empathize with and start to understand Raistlin beyond his quest for power, and why he pursues it so single-mindedly.

Shaewaroz

Arcane
Patron
In a hobo shack due to betting on neanderthal
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I had never even heard of Gully Dwarves before reading this thread. But I'm sure they play a major role in the Dragonlance canon.

They kinda did if only to show Raistlin sympathetic side. Here's some guy defending the existance of the gully dwarfs.

Oh yea, Bupu was a Gully Dwarf. Well, it has been 20 years so my memories are a bit hazy.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
"The stupidity of gully dwarves is legendary. To a gully dwarf, any number greater than one is “two”, which simply means “more than one”. In spite of their dull minds, gully dwarves take themselves quite seriously. They tend to have inflated ideas of their own importance, and puncturing their egos is almost impossible."

Lmao was this written by Varg Vikernes

lightbane

Arcane
You know, some of the characters in the Dragonlance novels wouldn't be feel out of place in a Larian game, due how bad and cringe they were. For example: Any kender, the god of justice called Paladine and his horrible parody of Gandalf as a "human disguise", most gnome inventors, etc.
I wonder if the Larian writers read some of these books.

Dycedarg

Learned
Defendant is probably WotC. This sentence is legalese for "a twitter mob wanted to burn the company to the ground because most people working there aren't black or troons". The rest of the paragraph states that Wizards didn't want to publish another Dragonlance novel because they were afraid of said twitter mob.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
When you start bending to the mob, stuff like this happens and it will spiral out of control. Unfortunately, Wizards is not a learning animal and they'll probably continue to pander. Wouldn't be surprised if something similar happens again within the next 24 months. If I were a major investor or shareholder, I'd bail ASAP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom